Friday, October 6, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, October 6, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7605, 2017-10-06

Austin Rogers game 9.

CONTESTANTS
Diana McInnis, an editor from Playa Vista, California
Rebekah Smith, a library associate from Washington, D.C.
Austin Rogers, a bartender from New York, New York (whose 8-day cash winnings total $306,900)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hi, everyone. $306,900 and yet neither Rebekah nor Diana, as you saw in that opening montage, looked at all intimidated. How is this going to play out today? Categories are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MOST INSTAGRAMMED PLACES BY STATE (5/5)
SCHOOLED! (4/5)
ROUND HOUSE (5/5)
AUSSIE SLANG (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
"B"USINESS (5/5)
BROADWAY, BABY (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Diana: 11 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Austin: 13 R (including 1 rebound), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Rebekah: 3 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Diana: $4,800
Rebekah: $600
Austin: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Diana McInnis is from Playa Vista, California. Diana, over the years, I have received a number of letters from viewers who send me photos of their babies watching Jeopardy! or their pets reacting to Jeopardy!. You have an animal that does that.

Diana: I do. My husband, Ryan, had the idea to see if we could cultivate a Pavlovian response in our dog to the Jeopardy! theme song, and it worked incredibly well. He--even if he's dead asleep when the music comes on, he perks up and starts jumping around because he knows it's time for dinner. The only problem is during the tournaments, because the theme song is a little different, he gets really confused.

[Laughter]

Alex: Sorry. I--I'll speak to our producers about...

Diana: Please do.

Alex: Rebekah Smith, library associate from Washington, D.C. You like to plan parties, and in fact, you planned a murder mystery party?

Rebekah: I planned two murder mystery parties.

Alex: Oh, hello.

Rebekah: So my best friend in college, Carolyn, and I wanted to put on a murder mystery party, but we couldn't find one that was big enough for our twenty closest friends, so we decided to write one. And it was so successful that we did it again the next year.

Alex: You oughtta go in business and be doing this professionally.

Rebekah: Maybe so.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Our champion is Austin Rogers. When you tried out for Jeopardy!, you had hopes of being selected and of doing well. But when in the last week, when you started succeeding so well, did you suddenly come to the realization, "Darn, I'm pretty good at this. How long will this go on?" What was your reaction to your success?

Austin: I still sort of haven't. You're just sort of on autopilot here. I guess when I get a tax attorney is when it'll sort of come to life.

[Laughter]

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Austin found the Daily Double on the 26th clue. Austin had $4,800, Rebekah had $400, and Diana was at $5,600. Austin wagered $4,000.

AUSSIE SLANG $800: Jumbuck is an Aussie term for this animal, of which there are a lot Down Under
(Austin: What is a kangaroo?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BROADWAY, BABY $800: "The Glass Menagerie" rebroke on B'way & this Oscar winner hoped fans would really like her as Amanda Wingfield
(Alex: "You like me, you really like me.")

SCHOOLED! $1000: An army of ambassadors has studied intl. affairs at the Fletcher School of this univ. in Medford, Mass.
(Rebekah: What is Seton Hall?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Diana: $6,600
Austin: $600
Rebekah: $400
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, October 6, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
19th CENTURY WOMEN AUTHORS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WORDPLAY (3/5)
YOUR FILM & TV WAIT STAFF (5/5)
CHEMISTRY (2/5)
PRESIDENTS BORN WEST OF THE MISSISSIPPI (2/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"UR" THE TOP! (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Austin: 12 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Rebekah: 4 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Diana: 3 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 11
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $12,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Rebekah snagged the next Daily Double on the 7th clue. Austin had $1,800, Rebekah had $2,000, and Diana was at $6,600. Rebekah wagered $1,000.

19th CENTURY WOMEN AUTHORS $800: Johanna Spyri spent summers in the Swiss Alps & used her memories in this book about an orphan girl sent to live there

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Austin who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 17th clue. Austin had $8,200, Rebekah had $3,000, and Diana was at $8,600. Austin wagered $4,500.

PRESIDENTS BORN WEST OF THE MISSISSIPPI $1600: Of those on the list, he's the most recent from a state that borders the Mississippi

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WORDPLAY $1200: Malcolm X often used the device called chiasmus, as in "We didn't land on Plymouth Rock; the rock was" this

WORDPLAY $2000: The 2017 U.K. Pun Championships produced gems like "Pakistani pirates." This language "they think they argh?"

19th CENTURY WOMEN AUTHORS $400: Martha Finley wrote 28 novels about Elsie, a virtuous Southern girl who lives on these including the Oaks & Roselands

"UR" THE TOP! $400: To the ancient Greeks, he was really tops--he personified heaven

CHEMISTRY $400: Gallium turns to liquid slightly above this temperature sometimes given as 72 degrees Fahrenheit

CHEMISTRY $800: In biology, an insectivore; in chemistry, a measuring unit of very small things

PRESIDENTS BORN WEST OF THE MISSISSIPPI $800: Of the 8 presidents born west of the Mississippi River, the one born farthest west

PRESIDENTS BORN WEST OF THE MISSISSIPPI $1200: The one born farthest west in the continental U.S.

PRESIDENTS BORN WEST OF THE MISSISSIPPI $2000: The one who served the shortest time as president
(Alex: He was born in Nebraska, and his name is [*].)

"UR" THE TOP! $1200: Alioth & Dubhe are its brightest stars

CHEMISTRY $1600: 2 letters longer than "activity", this is high in the halogen elements, so they're not naturally found uncombined

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Austin: $15,500
Diana: $12,600
Rebekah: $6,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COUNTRIES OF THE WORLD

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Austin: Wager $9,701 to cover Diana.
Diana: You have to wager $601 to cover Rebekah's doubled score, but certainly no more than $5,999, so as to force Rebekah to be right to have a chance at winning.
Rebekah: Think about risking $800 or less, thereby beating Austin on the Triple Stumper (should Austin wager to cover Diana's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
They begin with the same 3 letters: the most densely populated country in Europe & the least densely populated in Asia

FINAL SCORES
Rebekah: $6,600 - $600 = $6,000 (What are Turkey and Turkmenistan?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Diana: $12,600 - $3,000 = $9,600 (What ?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Austin: $15,500 + $10,000 = $25,500 (What are Monaco + Mongolia?) (9-day champion: $332,400)
(Alex: [To Austin] They are not only the least and most densely populated in Asia and Europe, but in the world.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Austin: $16,600, 25 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Diana: $12,600, 14 R, 0 W
Rebekah: $6,400, 7 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Combined Coryat: $35,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Austin: 26/60 = .433
Diana: 14/58 = .241
Rebekah: 7/59 = .119
Team: 47/63 = .746

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
BROADWAY, BABY $1000: In the revival of "The Little Foxes", Laura Linney alternated roles with this actress

"B"USINESS $1000: Henry Luce said, "There are men who can write poetry, and there are men who can read" these pages of assets & liabilities
(Austin: What are the stock listings?)

SCHOOLED! $400: This MSNBC host has recalled life as one of the only 2 "out" students at Stanford in the early 1990s
(Austin: Who is Anderson Cooper?)

MOST INSTAGRAMMED PLACES BY STATE $400: In this state:
Lambeau Field
(Rebekah: What is Michigan?)

ROUND HOUSE $200: It's a word for many round objects, including those seen here

ROUND HOUSE $600: In a kid song's first lyric, "She'll be" doing this "when she comes", "she'll be" doing this "when she comes"
(Diana: [*]? What is [*]?)

ROUND HOUSE $800: Seen here, this nation's standard depicts a round blue chakra with 24 spokes

ROUND HOUSE $1000: Calculate the volume of one of these with 4/3 x πr3
(Austin: What is a cylinder?)

WORDPLAY $1600: A rebus is a word puzzle, and this answer to the one seen here means you get it

19th CENTURY WOMEN AUTHORS $2000: This 3-named "Little Lord Fauntleroy" author also penned "A Little Princess"

CHEMISTRY $1200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents the clue.) The structural formula for water is HOH; HOOH is the formula for this solution that you might keep in your bathroom or first aid kid

CHEMISTRY $2000: The hollow carbon molecule seen here is called a buckyball and was named for this non-chemist

CORRECT RESPONSES
sheep
Sally Field
Tufts
Heidi
Bill Clinton
the rock was landed on us
Urdu they think they argh?
plantations
Uranus
room temperature
a mole
Barack Obama
Richard Nixon
Gerald Ford
Ursa Major
reactivity
Monaco and Mongolia
Cynthia Nixon
balance sheet
Rachel Maddow
Wisconsin
a wheel
coming around the mountain
India
a sphere
I understand
Frances Hodgson Burnett
hydrogen peroxide
Buckminster Fuller
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COUNTRIES OF THE WORLD

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
They begin with the same 3 letters: the most densely populated country in Europe & the least densely populated in Asia

Austin Rogers: 15500+10000=25500 (9x = $332,400)
Rebekah Smith: 6600-600=6000
Diana McInnis: 12600-3000=9600

Correct response:
Spoiler
Monaco & Mongolia (Rebekah – Turkey & Turkmenistan) (Diana – What ?)

Daily Doubles
Austin: 4800-4000
Rebekah: 2000-1000
Austin: 8200+4500

Coryats
Austin: 16600
Rebekah: 6400
Diana: 12600

Combined: 35,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Austin: 600
Rebekah: 400
Diana: 6600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Austin mimed solving a Rubik’s Cube for his opening and once again got a replay at the close of the show.

Every game has TS clues to have something for the 4th podium. Some of the ones available today were real head scratchers on how they could go 0/3.

Sally Field, plantation, room temperature, Obama, Nixon were some I noted with plantation being the one that puzzled me the most for what could have kept the players from knowing it.

It was a tough game for Austin and it seemed like 9 games in two days was taking its toll at times. Credit to him for his best solve of all getting that FJ! clue correct.

I had to take the blank page as darting around the Europe & Asia maps in panic mode got me nowhere for matching countries. I try calming down and using logic for small places in Europe, but did not go small enough and to the right part of the continent.

More than once I’m sure I’ve come across the fact for Mongolia. Knowing me I can’t guarantee I get the other half even being spotted the “Mon” as I would have Morocco in Africa or Montenegro distracting me.

With the long taping break between this game and the Monday game I’ll be curious to see if the material seems to have a change in difficulty to adjust for Austin’s run. The writers could take it up a notch to see how he does.

Austin has done well balancing on a tightrope above Niagara Falls with wobbles here and there while making steady progress. One big gust of wind on a DJ! round DD could send him plummeting.

On the other hand the contestant coordinators could have the power to extend or endanger Austin’s run based on who gets THE CALL. Under normal circumstances show workers don’t know who will be at the champ’s spot when selecting contestants.

In this case it seems like both the writers and contestant staff know who is on the throne and can adjust as they see fit. Austin has faced his fair share of opponents who were much better than those who faced previous big champs who were called Subarus. A strong field for each week of play needs to continue.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

I popped over to TheJeopardyFan earlier for the sweet, sweet spoilerz, and kind of chuckled when I saw the FJ clue--such a familiar type of question to me, for some reason. :lol: And I did come up with it pretty quickly. Got Mongolia first, by thinking "most of Asia's really dense, so what's not? Oh, Mongolia, it's huge and it's a desert...OK, then Monaco must be the other one, because it's tiny." Apparently I have a part of my brain devoted entirely to sussing out similar country names, right next to the part that's stuffed full of cheesy song lyrics. No wonder I never know where my keys are!
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

I remember this FJ! because it was, strangely, an insta-get for me sitting in the audience. It also stuck in my mind because, as of this game, Diana finally breaks my streak for having the closest score to Austin's going into FJ!.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Instant get wheelhouse FJ. I knew that Monaco and Mongolia were the most and least densely populated countries in the world at one time (it appears that they still are).
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I'm starting to think that they've finally implemented a "61 or bust" rule, as there were a lot of TSes today, which would normally take up too much time and prevent some clues from being shown. (When was the last time we left clues on the board?)

FJ was easy once I came at it from the Asia angle, remembering Mongolia is the least densely populated in the world (after a brief stop at Maldives since everyone forgets them, being so tiny and remote). I'm curious to see the board get rate on it though.
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:03 pm Every game has TS clues to have something for the 4th podium. Some of the ones available today were real head scratchers on how they could go 0/3.

Sally Field, plantation, room temperature, Obama, Nixon were some I noted with plantation being the one that puzzled me the most for what could have kept the players from knowing it.
Yeah, especially the Obama and Nixon ones, those were very easy for me, and Americana (and presidents) are a blind spot for me.
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:03 pm With the long taping break between this game and the Monday game I’ll be curious to see if the material seems to have a change in difficulty to adjust for Austin’s run. The writers could take it up a notch to see how he does.
How do we know there's a big taping break (and for what?) Did I miss something?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

dhkendall wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:03 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:03 pm With the long taping break between this game and the Monday game I’ll be curious to see if the material seems to have a change in difficulty to adjust for Austin’s run. The writers could take it up a notch to see how he does.
How do we know there's a big taping break (and for what?) Did I miss something?
We've had the inside scoop here: https://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4 ... ap#p261465
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

dhkendall wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:03 pm How do we know there's a big taping break (and for what?) Did I miss something?
This session was in April and we were told the next one would be in July.

AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

dhkendall wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:03 pm (When was the last time we left clues on the board?)
Yesterday.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

zerobandwidth wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:10 pm This session was in April and we were told the next one would be in July.
Per one of the camera operators on Twitter, the show resumed taping August 2 & 3.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I started in Europe with the tiny countries. Liechtenstein? Luxembourg? Nothing in Asia with those first letters. Vatican City? Took a few seconds but also no. Monaco? ... and Mongolia! Sweet! Took 3 seconds to do a victory dance in my head then remembered other times when I'd done that and ended up wrong. I forced myself to keep thinking but only got as far as rejecting Andorra before time ran out.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

No way was I getting this one as my dream of two straight 5/5 weeks crashes and burns.

Yes, some seriously odd TS in this game. With all the discussion over Obama's birthplace, how do you miss that one? So was J6 about Truman, Ike or LBJ?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:03 pm FJ was easy once I came at it from the Asia angle, remembering Mongolia is the least densely populated in the world (after a brief stop at Maldives since everyone forgets them, being so tiny and remote). I'm curious to see the board get rate on it though.
I was just the opposite. I started in Asia, quickly ignored it and then almost as quickly got Monaco (every year during the Formula 1 race, they will inevitably mention this fact). Mongolia easily followed.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

dhkendall wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:03 pm I'm starting to think that they've finally implemented a "61 or bust" rule, as there were a lot of TSes today, which would normally take up too much time and prevent some clues from being shown. (When was the last time we left clues on the board?)
Yeah, but when Austin gets on a roll he can clear a category in no time. Did it again today.

Figured out FJ around the 28th second but would not have had time to write it down.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Took me about 22 seconds to get to Mongolia, and then about half a second to get Monaco after that.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

Well the biggest secret of all that I've been lugging around is finally out. Austin swept week 4 and goes into the next session as a 9-day champ with a self-admittedly "ridiculous" winnings total. I thought Diana was finally going to do it in this game, but just like last Wednesday, the miss/get went the wrong way for her, and Austin pulled off another close one. He is already on the ToC tracker which suggests (1) he's not done yet but (2) someone will finally slay the giant before the ToC, and I really want to see how that happens, and whether that person continues the tradition of giant-killers also being one-and-done champs. Thus ends my insider commentary, and the five-and-a-half-month burden of secrecy, and now I'm just along for the ride with everyone else. What a run crazy taping week that was… I am going to enjoy seeing what the next one will bring.

KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

zerobandwidth wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:05 pm Well the biggest secret of all that I've been lugging around is finally out. Austin swept week 4 and goes into the next session as a 9-day champ with a self-admittedly "ridiculous" winnings total. I thought Diana was finally going to do it in this game, but just like last Wednesday, the miss/get went the wrong way for her, and Austin pulled off another close one. He is already on the ToC tracker which suggests (1) he's not done yet but (2) someone will finally slay the giant before the ToC, and I really want to see how that happens, and whether that person continues the tradition of giant-killers also being one-and-done champs. Thus ends my insider commentary, and the five-and-a-half-month burden of secrecy, and now I'm just along for the ride with everyone else. What a run crazy taping week that was… I am going to enjoy seeing what the next one will bring.
I'm sure that was pretty epic to watch in person!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Austin seems to be slipping, but he can rebound when it counts.

I recognized nothing in that Broadway category.

How should I know they wanted Disneyland and not any of the 847 other California theme parks? That was my only miss in the category too.

I couldn't picture those things as wheels at all.

Jumbuck + Aussie animal there's a lot of? That's at BEST a 1/3 on kangaroo/koala/sheep. Nasty clue, and my only miss in the category. Especially since "jumbuck" sounds like "jumping".

I couldn't turn "We didn't land on Plymouth Rock" into a chiasmus even though I know what one is.

Uranus was a stupid miss on everyone's part, including mine.

Lach Trash: room temperature, mole, Ursa Major, reactivity.

I ran the Chemistry category.

Obama was a surprising stand-and-stare, though I admit I whiffed on it too by failing to leave the 48.

I had no idea where to even start. This is one that either comes to you immediately, or you spend four hours flailing away at it. Not even looking at the map snagged this one for me.