Friday, October 6, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Re: Friday, October 6, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Coryat: $23,600
DDs: 1/3
FJ!: :(

Hot damn, there were a lot of simple TS's that went unanswered. Not getting Sally Field after being spotted words to the effect of "you really like me"? I'm surprised.

Ran "Instagrammed Places", lot of 4/5s in J!. Lot went unanswered for me in DJ!. Need to brush up on presidential birthplaces.

No guess on FJ!. Couldn't get "Albania" out of my head.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:15 pm How should I know they wanted Disneyland and not any of the 847 other California theme parks?
If Jeopardy! asks about Californian theme parks, odds are they're going for Disneyland, Universal Hollywood, or Knott's Berry Farm. I almost said the latter before going to Disneyland.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:14 pm
dhkendall wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:03 pm (When was the last time we left clues on the board?)
Yesterday.
:oops:

(In fairness I still haven’t watched yesterday’s game (don’t worry, I wouldn’t say revealing there were unrevealed clues is a spoiler), but I’m sure that silly old me probably saw a show earlier this week that qualifies.)

Carry on.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
threearruda
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by threearruda »

Matt Carberry's chart plotting the winnings of the nine-game champs is fascinating to look at, and I'm pleased to see Austin add himself onto that chart with win #9 today.. his line trends ahead of everyone else through the first nine. Of course Monday and Tuesday is the reason, but, nevertheless... Can't wait to see if Austin can put himself into elite company in terms of the number of wins next week. He made it a little harder on himself, but gutted out another nice win today. With the nice long break for taping as Pasha and others have indicated, Austin should come back fresh and ready to go!

Blew FJ to cost me a 5/5 this week. :cry: I think I would've gotten it with an extra minute or two provided.. wasn't going to click in 30 seconds.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Austin is Jeopardy's answer to Rasputin. You can bury him in a huge lead, find a DD before he does, have him whiff on a DD, and yet he somehow manages to survive. Not only survive, but win bigly. What separates good quarterbacks or Jeopardy champs from great ones is their ability to come from behind to win. You gotta give 110%. You miss 100% of clues you stay CLAM on. Any other cliches I can use?
Will he survive the taping hiatus? I think, based on his huge bets and high conversion rate on big clues, he'll win at least another five games.
Hoping for a third lap
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I'm ashamed to say I was 0/4 on FJs for this week before I Instagot today's (wheelhouse).

I was admittedly thinking of Obama for the DD question of the most recent president from a state bordering the Mississippi, but the clue was clearly asking for birth state, not home state.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:15 pm

How should I know they wanted Disneyland and not any of the 847 other California theme parks? That was my only miss in the category too.
It's a $200 question, and Disneyland is far and away the most popular theme park in CA. Don't overthink it.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

NoWhammies10 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:34 pm No guess on FJ!. Couldn't get "Albania" out of my head.
It borders on the Adriatic. Mostly mountainous. Lots of chromium.

https://youtu.be/-F_tT-q8EF0
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:15 pm I couldn't turn "We didn't land on Plymouth Rock" into a chiasmus even though I know what one is.
Yeah, that was kind of odd. I got it because I knew the line. Chiasmus didn't help get me there at all and I also know what one is. I also knew Malcolm X didn't originate the line (unless he did some uncredited ghostwriting for Cole Porter when he was 8).
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Instagot Mongolia, then tried to think of a European country that started with Mon---Montenegro! And stopped there, not even looking at Monaco :x
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:08 pm I'm ashamed to say I was 0/4 on FJs for this week before I Instagot today's (wheelhouse).

I was admittedly thinking of Obama for the DD question of the most recent president from a state bordering the Mississippi, but the clue was clearly asking for birth state, not home state.
Also I believe it was the category that pinned it to west of the Mississippi. Illinois is, for all intents and purposes, east.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Alex claimed that Mongolia has the lowest population density of any country, but I would have assumed it was Denmark. All the internet sources I'm finding easily split out Greenland separately, which seems bogus.

For FJ I went to Europe first thinking it had to be a micronation, so got to Monaco pretty quick and then Mongolia quickly followed.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

Finally got an FJ! I started by thinking of a big country in Asia that's not extremely populous, then decided to go with the simplest of the European "Mon"s. Ran "Round," and got a Lach Trash of "Mole."
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Category 13 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:06 pm
TPH wrote: Obama was a surprising stand-and-stare, though I admit I whiffed on it too by failing to leave the 48.
I wouldn't call it that surprising, since it was an easy mistake to make. I did likewise, but I readily guessed Nixon instead. That made it easy to get Nixon when his clue came up afterwards.
Other lach trash: Sally Field, plantation, Gerald Ford, room temperature
Yeah...I shouted NIXON! for the 2nd row. "Oooooh. Right. Hawaii." It didn't help that entirely unrelatedly I was looking at Yorba Linda earlier today so the Nixon Birthplace (which I still need to go to one day...funny how you never visit your local landmarks...) was on my mind.

Instafinal, Mongolia first. Even mimed writing it down before Alex finished speaking. Then mimed writing it -again- when I remembered I've been told the pen doesn't turn on until Alex finishes talking.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I think the Monaco fact was something I previously knew, because I came up with it first. Mongolia was a slam dunk after that.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:15 pm Jumbuck + Aussie animal there's a lot of? That's at BEST a 1/3 on kangaroo/koala/sheep. Nasty clue, and my only miss in the category. Especially since "jumbuck" sounds like "jumping".
It was really easy to hastily pull the trigger on kangaroos with that clue, but on reflection afterward, I realized: why would Australia have a different word for an animal that's only in Australia? Or, more accurately, why would we have a different word from the Australian one for such an animal?
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

32 right.

State (3), School (3), House (3), Slang (4), "B"usiness (2), Baby (4)
Authors (3), Wordplay (2), Film/TV (3), Chemistry (1), Presidents (1), "Ur" (3)

Lach Trash: Sally Field, plantations, room temperature, Richard M. Nixon, Ursa Major

Instaget FJ.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Volante wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:11 am Instafinal, Mongolia first. Even mimed writing it down before Alex finished speaking. Then mimed writing it -again- when I remembered I've been told the pen doesn't turn on until Alex finishes talking.
I heard that it is activated while Alex is talking, and some have even written then (a few of those have been mentioned by Alex at the time).

Zerobandwidth, as our most recent boardie to use said pen during Final, is that correct?

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:43 am
Volante wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:11 am Instafinal, Mongolia first. Even mimed writing it down before Alex finished speaking. Then mimed writing it -again- when I remembered I've been told the pen doesn't turn on until Alex finishes talking.
I heard that it is activated while Alex is talking, and some have even written then (a few of those have been mentioned by Alex at the time).

Zerobandwidth, as our most recent boardie to use said pen during Final, is that correct?
I'm sure last time I brought this up I was told it doesn't turn on til the end of the clue, but I can't find the thread...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

I was surprised at all the Lach trash that Austin let go by. Maybe fatigue was the explanation. (BTW, I thought the SJ-round DD he missed was very tough -- an animal that's plentiful in Australia, with no TOM to narrow it down. Granted, kangaroo seemed too obvious, but still.)

We'll see if Austin comes back newly energized on Monday after the long taping hiatus.

Instaget FJ for me. Earlier this year, after visiting Mongolia, I came across the fact that it's the least densely populated country in the world. (And to address what Kirk said above, I think it's entirely fair to omit overseas territories when calculating a country's population density, as seems to be the convention on every website I'm looking at.) And it was an easy jump from Mongolia to Monaco - I think I knew the most densely populated European nation was going to have to be one of the microstates or something similar.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

When the Aussie Slang category was revealed, I wondered if anything from Waltzing Matilda would show up there. Sometime in the last year or two (if I had to guess an exact date, I'd guess March 26, 2016, but it could have been some other time), I read about what the song is actually about. Before I read that, I knew what a billy was, but I didn't know what a jumbuck was. I don't know if I could have guessed it without having read that, though. I might have guessed rabbit, because of Rabbit-Proof Fence.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

hbomb1947 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:06 am (BTW, I thought the SJ-round DD he missed was very tough -- an animal that's plentiful in Australia, with no TOM to narrow it down. Granted, kangaroo seemed too obvious, but still.)
Sometimes the TOM isn't written in the clue. In this case, one could tease out that for the word to be Australian slang, the animal must be fairly plentiful elsewhere too; otherwise the Australian word for the animal would just be the word for the animal.