Who Wants to be a Millionaire before Jeopardy

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

Post Reply
User avatar
oduguy22
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:34 pm
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

Who Wants to be a Millionaire before Jeopardy

Post by oduguy22 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:17 pm

I have a general question about contestants who have appeared on both Jeopardy and Who Wants to Be a Millionaire. Mostly from what i have seen is that most people who have been on both appear on Jeopardy first, and then have appeared on Millionaire. Has there been anyone that has appeared on Millionaire, and then appeared on Jeopardy? I was curious what you boardies think about this. I definitely want to be on Jeopardy above all else in the world, but i definitely have watched Millionaire since its inception. Just curious, is there a preference as for which to do first, or is it mainly just how the cookie crumbles for most people?

User avatar
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:21 pm
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: Who Wants to be a Millionaire before Jeopardy

Post by zerobandwidth » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:24 pm

By coincidence, there's at least one case in particular that I know of:
Jennie Floyd won $64k on Millionaire in 2009, and then was on Jeopardy on 27 Sep 2017.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL75: R Summit Div 2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest

User avatar
badgerfellow
One and Done
Posts: 342
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 2:44 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Who Wants to be a Millionaire before Jeopardy

Post by badgerfellow » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:09 pm

Trevor Schultz appeared in the 2009 version and won $100K before his appearance on Jeopardy! last season. Here was his WWTBAM episode, in 3 parts:

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOQ1TDJUdLs
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjf5mdSQSkw
Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g81HGA6p9xM

User avatar
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler
Posts: 2359
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 12:53 am

Re: Who Wants to be a Millionaire before Jeopardy

Post by ElendilPickle » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:21 am

It's just how it worked out for me; I was on Jeopardy! in 2013, saw fellow J! alum Hans Von Walter on Millionaire, said to myself, "Hey, that looks fun and doable," and auditioned for Millionaire in 2014.

kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:32 pm

Re: Who Wants to be a Millionaire before Jeopardy

Post by kprather895 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:30 am

Brian Fodera was on Jeopardy not too long ago. He was on Millionaire back in 2000.

Same goes for Bill MacDonald. He was on Millionaire in 1999, and later made a run on Jeopardy. To date, he's one of only three people to win at least six figures on both shows. He's the only person to win $125,000+ on both shows.

I believe both are members here.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 5377
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Who Wants to be a Millionaire before Jeopardy

Post by alietr » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:37 am

To answer your question, it's just how the cookie crumbles. It's really hard to get on either show, so you should try for each one constantly, and when your big break comes, go for it. I can't see any advantage to having gone on one before the other.

pastor_dave
Contributor
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Who Wants to be a Millionaire before Jeopardy

Post by pastor_dave » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:30 am

I was on Millionaire in 2003 and then Jeopardy in 2008 and 2009.

There was no grand plan to do one and then the other. I'm not sure there's an advantage to either order. They are very different experiences - for me, Millionaire was more intense and Jeopardy was much more fun.
kprather895 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:30 am
Brian Fodera was on Jeopardy not too long ago. He was on Millionaire back in 2000.

Same goes for Bill MacDonald. He was on Millionaire in 1999, and later made a run on Jeopardy. To date, he's one of only three people to win at least six figures on both shows.
If you include my $2000 consolation prize when I lost the fifth J! game, there are four. 125K on Millionaire, 100,901 on J!. (I"d say, "Not to brag," but that would be disingenuous.)

User avatar
oduguy22
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:34 pm
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

Re: Who Wants to be a Millionaire before Jeopardy

Post by oduguy22 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:03 pm

Thanks for all the responses, yea I was just curious if there was a method to the madness but it really is just circumstance, so yea I will continue to try both until then!

kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:32 pm

Re: Who Wants to be a Millionaire before Jeopardy

Post by kprather895 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:30 pm

pastor_dave wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:30 am
kprather895 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:30 am
Same goes for Bill MacDonald. He was on Millionaire in 1999, and later made a run on Jeopardy. To date, he's one of only three people to win at least six figures on both shows.
If you include my $2000 consolation prize when I lost the fifth J! game, there are four. 125K on Millionaire, 100,901 on J!. (I"d say, "Not to brag," but that would be disingenuous.)
Dave, you're the third. I've got you, Ken, and Bill. Is there someone else I'm missing?

User avatar
cheezguyty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 883
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:19 am
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Who Wants to be a Millionaire before Jeopardy

Post by cheezguyty » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:00 pm

kprather895 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:30 pm
pastor_dave wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:30 am
kprather895 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:30 am
Same goes for Bill MacDonald. He was on Millionaire in 1999, and later made a run on Jeopardy. To date, he's one of only three people to win at least six figures on both shows.
If you include my $2000 consolation prize when I lost the fifth J! game, there are four. 125K on Millionaire, 100,901 on J!. (I"d say, "Not to brag," but that would be disingenuous.)
Dave, you're the third. I've got you, Ken, and Bill. Is there someone else I'm missing?
https://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?p=235284#p235284

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 4829
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Who Wants to be a Millionaire before Jeopardy

Post by seaborgium » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:11 pm

cheezguyty wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:00 pm
kprather895 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:30 pm
pastor_dave wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:30 am
kprather895 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:30 am
Same goes for Bill MacDonald. He was on Millionaire in 1999, and later made a run on Jeopardy. To date, he's one of only three people to win at least six figures on both shows.
If you include my $2000 consolation prize when I lost the fifth J! game, there are four. 125K on Millionaire, 100,901 on J!. (I"d say, "Not to brag," but that would be disingenuous.)
Dave, you're the third. I've got you, Ken, and Bill. Is there someone else I'm missing?
https://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?p=235284#p235284
*scrolls down* I knew I had posted Dave as a six-figure winner on both shows! Upon reading his quoted post, I tried to find one where I had mentioned it, but I forgot that my post comprised just a quote and a link.

Also, it's hilarious that we've got kprather's post answering kprather's question.

kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:32 pm

Re: Who Wants to be a Millionaire before Jeopardy

Post by kprather895 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:03 pm

cheezguyty wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:00 pm
kprather895 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:30 pm
pastor_dave wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:30 am
kprather895 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:30 am
Same goes for Bill MacDonald. He was on Millionaire in 1999, and later made a run on Jeopardy. To date, he's one of only three people to win at least six figures on both shows.
If you include my $2000 consolation prize when I lost the fifth J! game, there are four. 125K on Millionaire, 100,901 on J!. (I"d say, "Not to brag," but that would be disingenuous.)
Dave, you're the third. I've got you, Ken, and Bill. Is there someone else I'm missing?
https://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?p=235284#p235284
Bingo! I remembered Dave, but somehow I forgot Jeff Richmond being the newest member of the club. My apologies to Jeff.

I remember that discussion, and I was looking for that very thread too, but I was searching the wrong board for it. Thanks for finding it!

lindap
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:32 pm

Re: Who Wants to be a Millionaire before Jeopardy

Post by lindap » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:19 pm

I won 32K on Millionaire back on the Regis Philbin prime time show in 2000, then 72K on Jeopardy! in 2011. I had actually got the call to try out for Jeopardy in June, 2000, but couldn't make it to the testing time. It was a last minute invite as I guess someone cancelled: I was called on Thursday for a Saturday test and was right in the middle of my three days in a row night shifts. Then I got through on the phone lines and did the fastest finger prelims in July, 2000, for WWTBAM.

User avatar
billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:56 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Who Wants to be a Millionaire before Jeopardy

Post by billiej » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:27 pm

kprather895 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:03 pm
cheezguyty wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:00 pm
kprather895 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:30 pm
pastor_dave wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:30 am
kprather895 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:30 am
Same goes for Bill MacDonald. He was on Millionaire in 1999, and later made a run on Jeopardy. To date, he's one of only three people to win at least six figures on both shows.
If you include my $2000 consolation prize when I lost the fifth J! game, there are four. 125K on Millionaire, 100,901 on J!. (I"d say, "Not to brag," but that would be disingenuous.)
Dave, you're the third. I've got you, Ken, and Bill. Is there someone else I'm missing?
https://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?p=235284#p235284
Bingo! I remembered Dave, but somehow I forgot Jeff Richmond being the newest member of the club. My apologies to Jeff.

I remember that discussion, and I was looking for that very thread too, but I was searching the wrong board for it. Thanks for finding it!
I was on Millionaire in 2011. I *hope* to join this elite club someday. :roll:

pdano
Valued Contributor
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:33 pm

Re: Who Wants to be a Millionaire before Jeopardy

Post by pdano » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:38 pm

Jason Thweatt was on Millionaire in 2001 and won 32k before being on Jeopardy at the end of 2007.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bamaman, Bob78164, Google [Bot], mujason, TenPoundHammer and 20 guests