Wednesday, October 11, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Re: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by DBear »

Jean Auel & All Things Considered for trash. SWAGed the FJ. Also thought MONTbatten should've been negged. I've heard of dap but never equated it with fist-bump.
MTGcollegestudent
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:26 pm Austin keeps winning with runaways despite not always putting up great Coryats and letting some surprising Lach Trash go by; a game like today's, his worst yet (with a Coryat of just $12,000), definitely renews questions about how he'll do against TOC-level competition. He's also 11 of 12 now on FJ's, although like today's most of them have been on the easy side. (Naturally, today's FJ was an instaget for me. I never knew the origin of the word "sepia," but you didn't really have to to solve this one.) Sort of echoing what MarkBarrett said, I've come to no longer regard Austin as a prohibitive favorite in the TOC although I would probably still make him my overall favorite. He's still an outstanding player, but it's easy to forget how strong some of the other contestants in this November's TOC field are too.
You know, that does raise questions with another ToC and DD-worthy competitor, Pranjal Vachaspati. He's tops the ToC players at buzzing percentage (44.47%) and is also good at betting big on DDs, but the problem is that he either rushes his answers or second-guesses himself on certain clues. I wonder if Pranjal could be a favorite in this.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I don't think I've ever heard of sepia. It seems everyone else is familiar with it. I guessed halcyon hoping it was a color (it kind of sounds like cyan...) and hoping it was a sea monster (halcyon is a good name for a sea monster). I'm happy to learn something new though.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

Isn't Austin's low score simply down to him not finding either DD in the second round? Those are usually key. He certainly doesn't get alot wrong; that helps.

Ran "B Off." Lach Trash: All Things Considered. Sepia was an instaget - I had no clue about any sea creature, but the word sounded like it could be Latin
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

My initial thought on the NWA question was "Fuck Tha Police" but I obviously knew there was no way that was making its way onto J!

Would just "nuncio" for "papal nuncio" have been acceptable?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Wheatley wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:38 pm Isn't Austin's low score simply down to him not finding either DD in the second round? Those are usually key. He certainly doesn't get alot wrong; that helps.

Ran "B Off." Lach Trash: All Things Considered. Sepia was an instaget - I had no clue about any sea creature, but the word sounded like it could be Latin
He missed 5 and that hurt his totals as well.

Game 12 Coryats:

Ken Jennings: 33,200
Matt Jackson: 25,800
Julia Collins: 21,800
Seth Wilson: 20,400
Arthur Chu: 14,000
Austin Rogers: 12,000
David Madden: 8,000
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:03 pm Would just "nuncio" for "papal nuncio" have been acceptable?
A nuncio is, by definition, papal, so yes.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:13 pm
dhkendall wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:02 pm Anyone else think "dap" (?) in the three letter clue category was way undervalued? (Anyone else even *heard* of "dap" as opposed to, say "fist-bump"?)
What was it valued at? In any case, poll request to MarkBarrett on this one.
Second row.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:02 pm Anyone else think "dap" (?) in the three letter clue category was way undervalued? (Anyone else even *heard* of "dap" as opposed to, say "fist-bump"?)
Yes, somehow, but I was around 5% confidence on that.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
aicarrie1

Post by aicarrie1 »

I am getting so tired of the champion mocking the other players after he wins a game with those stupid gestures of his. There have been a few contestants on the show that I have not liked, but this takes the cake. He is the most annoying contestant that the show has ever had. There is no room on Jeopardy for poor sportsmanship.
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

I started tonight off with a joke that might resonate with those having long memories of a certain era - one that I had to walk back a bit after Johnny spoke.
Spoiler
Brian is the given name of "Kato" Kaelin, houseguest of O.J. Simpson on the infamous night of 1994-06-12.
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:32 pm For the money list it’s:
Ken Jennings: $2,520,700
David Madden: $430,400
Julia Collins: $428,100
Matt Jackson: $411,612
Austin Rogers: $411,000
Austin JUST barely managed to keep his plot above Ken's. (KJ through 12: $410,158). He also cracked the top ten in winnings from all competitions (displacing omgwheelhouse for the time being).

An only slightly below average Coryat today ($23,600), but conflating Fulbright and Rhodes hurts, as did the facepalm on a relatively easy Final (the only word I could think of was "nacre").
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

Or, to put it another mind-blowing way:
  • He is guaranteed to pass Matt Jackson tonight for 4th place.
  • If he wins with $17,100, he passes Julia Collins for 3rd place.
  • If he wins with $19,400, he passes David Madden and becomes second only to The Ken.
He may have kicked me to the curb in his second game, but watching this drama play out has been a great consolation prize.

Unrelated, I had no idea the Romans even had a word for the cuttlefish, much less that it was sepia, so even though "What is sepia?" was my first though, I discarded it almost as immediately as my wife blurted out "It's sepia. Duh." Fortunately as I could come up with no other alternative, it stayed as my in-head guess, so… I suppose that counts? :lol:
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

zerobandwidth wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:01 am

He may have kicked me to the curb in his second game, but watching this drama play out has been a great consolation prize.

Unrelated, I had no idea the Romans even had a word for the cuttlefish, much less that it was sepia, so even though "What is sepia?" was my first though, I discarded it almost as immediately as my wife blurted out "It's sepia. Duh." Fortunately as I could come up with no other alternative, it stayed as my in-head guess, so… I suppose that counts? :lol:
awesome 'tude, dude. :mrgreen: and hell 'ya you get to keep your sepia! if you got it from the cuttlefish side like all these Latin scholars here, it ought to count double :lol: i didn't even know there was a fish for cuttlefish, much less a Latin word for it.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

I like learning new facts from jeopardy, like that the cuttlefish was the original source of sepia-colored ink, hence the Latin name "sepia".
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

• If he wins with $19,400, he passes David Madden and becomes second only to The Ken.
Matt Jackson's $411,612 in winnings are for his 13 victories, and don't include his $2,000 consolation prize for finishing second in his 14th game.

http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php ... tt+jackson

So to pass Jackson, Austin has to win today.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

aicarrie1 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:11 am I am getting so tired of the champion mocking the other players after he wins a game with those stupid gestures of his. There have been a few contestants on the show that I have not liked, but this takes the cake. He is the most annoying contestant that the show has ever had. There is no room on Jeopardy for poor sportsmanship.
Hyperbole much? And please cite some of Austin's many opponents who must have complained about his "poor sportsmanship."
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:28 am Matt Jackson's $411,612 in winnings are for his 13 victories, and don't include his $2,000 consolation prize for finishing second in his 14th game.
You people and your picky picky accounting. ;) :lol:
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

aicarrie1 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:11 am I am getting so tired of the champion mocking the other players after he wins a game with those stupid gestures of his. There have been a few contestants on the show that I have not liked, but this takes the cake. He is the most annoying contestant that the show has ever had. There is no room on Jeopardy for poor sportsmanship.
In what ways is he mocking them? Yeah he's celebrating but I don't see how those gestures can be interpreted as an insult towards his opponents.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

zerobandwidth wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:40 am
hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:28 am Matt Jackson's $411,612 in winnings are for his 13 victories, and don't include his $2,000 consolation prize for finishing second in his 14th game.
You people and your picky picky accounting. ;) :lol:
Yeah, it's not like you'd expect fans of a show that doesn't accept "What is sherbert?" to be precise. :D
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

I also had no idea from the Latin angle, but knew it had to be sepia from the nostalgia/film angle.