Thursday, October 12, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, October 12, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by zakharov »

Dick Tree hehehehehehehehehe

4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

sims wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:15 pm Hey Scarlett here, just signed up for the boards to post in this topic.
Way to go, Scarlett! Some giant killers win on a fluke with a lot of luck on their side and bad breaks for the opponent. You won in a straight contest where your opponent landed on all 3 Daily Doubles and got two of them right for an extra $8800. Austin was good, but he was the second best player up there tonight.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

I thought Austin showed a lot of class with the high-five and his general exuberance towards Scarlett beating him. No sour grapes there at all.

Scarlett was a monster on the buzzer (er, "signalling device").
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:21 pmAustin could have won this game but his perennial inabillity to stay clam, combined with not going completely all-in on his DJ DD's, did him in (I think -- I'll have to run the numbers later).
As you say, those things combined did him in. His (slight) lowballing on the DDs wouldn't have been enough. Here's the numbers:

DD1: $1400 - $1400 = $0
DD2: $3600 + $3000 = $6600 ($600 less than max)
DD3: $8200 + $7200 = $15400 (could have been $8800 + $8800 - $17600)

So he only left $2200 on the table. That still puts him at $18,800 going into FJ against Scarlett's $21,200. So he needs another $2400 to catch up. I'm sure he threw away more than that by buzzing in with wrong responses. But Scarlett did some of that too.

In other words, Scarlett turned Austin into another coulda woulda shoulda won if only he'd done everything right and his opponent hadn't. Wildly impressive.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Coryat: $18,600
DDs: 0/3
FJ!: :mrgreen:

Thus ends the story of #austinonjeopardy. All in favour of #scarlettonjeopardy?

Not great for me today. Few bad misses in DJ! contributing to a lower Coryat than in recent days.

Instaget FJ!
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:00 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:21 pmAustin could have won this game but his perennial inabillity to stay clam, combined with not going completely all-in on his DJ DD's, did him in (I think -- I'll have to run the numbers later).
As you say, those things combined did him in. His (slight) lowballing on the DDs wouldn't have been enough. Here's the numbers:

DD1: $1400 - $1400 = $0
DD2: $3600 + $3000 = $6600 ($600 less than max)
DD3: $8200 + $7200 = $15400 (could have been $8800 + $8800 - $17600)

So he only left $2200 on the table. That still puts him at $18,800 going into FJ against Scarlett's $21,200. So he needs another $2400 to catch up. I'm sure he threw away more than that by buzzing in with wrong responses. But Scarlett did some of that too.

In other words, Scarlett turned Austin into another coulda woulda shoulda won if only he'd done everything right and his opponent hadn't. Wildly impressive.
Austin's negs totalled $5,800 (including the missed DD), two of which were rebounded by Scarlett (for $1600).
Scarlett's neg was $800 (rebounded by Austin).
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:09 pmAustin's negs totalled $5,800 (including the missed DD), two of which were rebounded by Scarlett (for $1600).
Scarlett's neg was $800 (rebounded by Austin).
Just the one? Wow!
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Wow, what an impressive game. Congratulations, Scarlett! Those were some great pulls.
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:12 pm Gotta admit, I have never heard of J.G. Ballard or (after looking them up) any of his books.
Not even Empire of the Sun, made into a (great) movie by Steven Spielberg? Crash, the movie of that name that preceded the Oscar winner, is hard to forget, too. Of curse, neither of those is sf...

Congrats to Scarlett, a most decisive and impressive win! Austin seemed a bit relieved, not to mention joyous...So much for his "condescension" or whatever some wanted to believe toward his fellow players...
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

The story behind this Final is even weirder than the clue lets on.

Pretty ironic if the Feds thought Capra was making Communist propaganda, given that Capra was staunch anti-Communist...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

None of those TV titles rang any bells for me whatsoever except Jimmy Kimmel.

Saw no way to pick "Seal" on Inuit for $600 over any other fat aquatic northern animal. Especially since "whale" was overturned.

Thomas Stearns = ????? Explaining the category would've helped. I had no idea what they were going for until $800.

No, I didn't run Dolly Parton. Had no idea where Dollywood is, and didn't know there were any fires in TN recently.

NHO "doge" except in the meme sense. Nothing in that category rang any bells.

"Ashram" was undervalued at $800. It has only been a correct response once before according to the Archive.

I had "gumshoe" but clammed because I couldn't pull a tree with "hoe" or "gum" in it.

It's a Wonderful Life briefly surfaced, but I rejected it as having nothing objectionable.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Got home just in time to catch the last 5 DJ! clues.
That was me you heard screaming at the TV when Scarlett went for the last clue, but she got contraindicated, which I didn't know. Did pick up gumshoe, tho.
FJ was almost a tossup between It's a Wonderful Life and Miracle on 34th St. I was blanking on the street, so I stumbled onto the correct response :mrgreen:
Someone PLEASE put this in the archives...
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:32 am It was *Miss Scarlett in the studio with the buzzer as Austin was Mr. Boddy.

Austin was given some bonus money with the whale reversal happening after his DD miss. If the judges had handled matters sooners Austin would have been at zero to start the second segment instead of 1200.

*Scarlett Sims could be a Miss or Ms. and Miss Scarlet in the board game Clue is one T.

Scarlett Sims from Tennessee took names and numbers in the Dolly Parton category.

Austin's opening looked like this thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPpQoCDS_tw

For the FJ! round let's just say I've seen that movie more than once so not going to miss it.

have never seen the movie, but got it correct because what other holiday film came out in 1947?
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Out of all the nights to get spoiled.. :cry:.. my mom messaged me before I got to the episode saying it was a nail-biter, then I needed to fish around on reddit to find the episode .. and of course folks post multiple thread titles with "Austin lost". Grr.

I'll absolutely second #scarlettonjeopardy!! Scarlett, you absolutely earned every cent of that ~$32k you took home.. congrats! You were a pleasure to watch tonight and I'm hoping to see you grace our screens for a few days more! After all, it's been eight months since our last 5-game female champ..

Got final because a friend of mine brought it up last Christmastime and I just remembered somehow.. still have not seen that movie yet in my young life. I also got the J! round DD for the sole reason of watching the show religiously.. Ha.

I think it's safe to officially RIP Tim Kutz's ToC chances, much to my utter and sheer sadness. In any case, now that we know Austin is actually going to be in the ToC.. I too will be curious to see if the $$65/$69k guy shows up or the guy who's played some less-than-stellar games this week. I'm really curious if fatigue played a factor in the results this week despite the three month break between the taping of his ninth and tenth games... Nevertheless, I too will take the field as I think Andrew is still the best player given entire bodies of work, with Seth and Austin right behind.
Last edited by threearruda on Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

can't believe austin missed gumshoe...was the only one i got right in that category...missing and not getting that clue correct was an obvious game changer, seeing he would have had the lead going into final jeopardy with a correct response
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

econgator wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:12 pm Gotta admit, I have never heard of J.G. Ballard or (after looking them up) any of his books.
the only post 1980s fiction book i have read is a book called "cocaine nights" written by j.g. ballard
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:42 pm what other holiday film came out in 1947?
Miracle on 34th Street?
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

Austin did not lose that game; rather Scarlett won that game. Like, decisively. You go, girl. I look forward to watching tomorrow night's game in the hopes that you break the Giant Killer Curse!
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:45 pm can't believe austin missed gumshoe...was the only one i got right in that category...missing and not getting that clue correct was an obvious game changer, seeing he would have had the lead going into final jeopardy with a correct response
Nope. He would've still been $600 behind.
davey

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:33 pm The story behind this Final is even weirder than the clue lets on.

Pretty ironic if the Feds thought Capra was making Communist propaganda, given that Capra was staunch anti-Communist...
I don't think it's so surprising, it was the mindset of the time, certainly for those charged with investigating the Communist menace. As your link suggests, it was the screenwriters who fell under suspicion, not the conservative Capra.