Friday, October 13, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, October 13, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7610, 2017-10-13

CONTESTANTS
Michelle Kritselis, a managing editor from Rolling Meadows, Illinois
Manny Abell, a Naval officer from Lacey, Washington
Scarlett Sims, a stay-at-home mom from Oak Ridge, Tennessee (whose 1-day cash winnings total $33,201)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, everyone. For the past two and a half weeks, Jeopardy! has belonged to one person--Austin Rogers, who won $411,000 and who was so gracious in losing to Scarlett on yesterday's program. His last words were, "Hey, she just flat out beat me." All right, Manny and Michelle, the two M's, have arrived. I wish you good luck, and we put you all to work now in the Jeopardy! Round, which today features these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
RICKENBACKER GUITARS (5/5)
COUNTRIES' OFFICIAL LANGUAGES (4/5) (Alex: Sounds straightforward.)
ACCESSORIES (4/5)
COMPLETES THE OLD TESTAMENT QUOTE (3/5)
STOCKING THE CABINET DEPARTMENT (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: Then we're...)
"DED" END (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Scarlett: 7 R, 0 W
Manny: 10 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Michelle: 6 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Michelle: $2,800
Manny: $1,200
Scarlett: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Michelle Kritselis is from Illinois. Alfred Hitchcock did a famous movie once called Strangers on a Train, which resulted in murder. You met a stranger on a train, which resulted in something completely different.

Michelle: Which resulted in we wrote a short play together. This was kind of funny. I was on a train from Champaign, Illinois, to Chicago. And this person I was sitting next to found out I was a theater major in college, and he got really excited and said, "Let's write a play together." So we wrote a short, terrible skit about a bail bondsman in Caracas, Venezuela.

Alex: Okay, it had to be short, because...

Michelle: Yes.

Alex: Champaign to Chicago--

Michelle: Not short enough.

Alex: Oh. All right.

[Laughter]

Alex: Manny Abell. Naval officer from Lacey, Washington.

Manny: Yes, sir.

Alex: Grew up all over the world. So you come from a Navy family?

Manny: No, sir, my father was a foreign service officer with the State Department.

Alex: Ah.

Manny: Lived all over. Mostly Africa--Zimbabwe, Nigeria. Did a little--went to high school in Canada, so.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Scarlett Sims is our champion. Oak Ridge, Tennessee is her home. You and your friends did an island-themed escape room where you all dressed up as characters from...

Scarlett: From Gilligan's Island, yes. I was Ginger, and there were actually eight of us, and as you know--

Alex: I didn't think you would have been the professor.

Scarlett: No.

Alex: Nor Gilligan, nor the captain.

[Laughter]

Scarlett: No. My husband was Gilligan, and one of us was actually the S. S. Minnow because there were more of us than there were castaways.

[Laughter]

Alex: I like that.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Manny found the Daily Double on the 23rd clue. Scarlett had $1,600, Manny had $1,000, and Michelle was at $2,800. Manny made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,000.

STOCKING THE CABINET DEPARTMENT $1000: Office of the Chief of Protocol

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ACCESSORIES $600: The length of these is measured in buttons; 16-button length is formal, as with a mousquetaire
(Alex: What are [*]? 16 buttons. Takes a long time to put 'em on and take 'em off.)

COUNTRIES' OFFICIAL LANGUAGES $800: In Finland, Finnish & this
(Michelle: What is Russian?)

COMPLETES THE OLD TESTAMENT QUOTE $400: "Cast thy ____ upon the waters: for thou shalt find it after many days"
(Manny: Uh, what is thy gaze?)

COMPLETES THE OLD TESTAMENT QUOTE $1000: From Leviticus: "when the plague of ____ is in a man, then he shall be brought unto the priest"

STOCKING THE CABINET DEPARTMENT $600: Employment & Training Administration
(Manny: What is Health and Human Services?)

"DED" END $800: It's the shaggy breed of collie seen here

"DED" END $1000: Fixed in place in a solid mass; lately it often describes reporters
(Manny: What is stagnated?)
(Alex: In combat, they're called [*] reporters.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Michelle: $3,400
Scarlett: $3,400
Manny: $3,200
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, October 13, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TIME'S 100 MOST INFLUENTIAL PEOPLE 2017 (5/5)
COMPOUND WORDS (4/5)
BOTANY (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
RECENT NONFICTION (4/5)
OCTOBER OCCURRENCES (4/5) (Alex: How appropriate.)
"THE" MOVIE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Manny: 12 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Michelle: 10 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Scarlett: 3 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Manny snagged the next Daily Double on the 1st clue. Scarlett had $3,400, Manny had $3,200, and Michelle was at $3,400. Manny wagered $1,200.

"THE" MOVIE $1200: Turned out Jim Carrey was on the ultimate reality TV series in this pic

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Michelle who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Scarlett had $7,400, Manny had $16,000, and Michelle was at $12,600. Michelle wagered $3,000.

BOTANY $2000: The 3 main classes of plant pigments are carotenoids, phycobilins & these greenish ones

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
COMPOUND WORDS $800: The condition swimmer's knee is mainly caused by the unusual kick of this specialty

OCTOBER OCCURRENCES $1600: In October 1917 thousands in this Portuguese city claimed to have witnessed a miracle in which the sun "spun"
(Michelle: What is Lisbon?)
(Alex: What is the miracle of [*]?)

RECENT NONFICTION $1200: An adaptation of his self-help book was published as "How to Win Friends & Influence People in the Digital Age"

BOTANY $1200: This American botanist developed hundreds of strains of fruits and other plants

BOTANY $1600: Also known as a clove pink, this flower was used in Elizabethan times to spice ale & wine

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Manny: $16,000
Michelle: $15,600
Scarlett: $7,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FLAGS OF THE WORLD

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Manny: Wager $15,201 to cover Michelle. If you feel like using Shoretegy, try wagering $401.
Michelle: Try wagering $799, which is as much as you can put up against Manny without being usurped by a doubled score on the part of Scarlett.
Scarlett: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by Michelle, but if Michelle decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $6,600.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The flag of Laos shows the white circle of the moon over the blue band, representing this river

FINAL SCORES
Scarlett: $7,400 - $7,000 = $400 (What is the Ganges?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Michelle: $15,600 - $5,000 = $10,600 (What is the Yangtze?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Manny: $16,000 + $1,199 = $17,199 (What is the Mekong?) (New champion: $17,199)
(Alex, to Scarlett: You kind of moved Laos a bit with that response.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Manny: $16,000, 22 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Michelle: $14,600, 16 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Scarlett: $7,400, 10 R, 0 W
Combined Coryat: $38,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Manny: 23/60 = .383
Michelle: 16/59 = .271
Scarlett: 10/58 = .172
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ACCESSORIES $1000: This Spanish-named shawl is usually worn over the shoulder

RICKENBACKER GUITARS $200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from the Rickenbacker Guitars HQ in Santa Ana, California.) Rickenbacker began a music revolution with the prototype of the first truly electric guitar, the frying pan; it was made of solid wood so it could be loudly amplified without producing this screeching also known as the Larsen effect

RICKENBACKER GUITARS $400: (Kelly of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from the Rickenbacker Guitars HQ in Santa Ana, California.)
Rickenbacker changed the sound of the 1960s when it gave the second-ever Model 360 12-string to George Harrison, who used it for the opening chord of the theme song for this 1964 movie

RICKENBACKER GUITARS $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from the Rickenbacker Guitars HQ in Santa Ana, California.)
A Model 1998 was the victim when this musician who later got his own Limited Edition model did his first onstage guitar smashing in London in 1964

RICKENBACKER GUITARS $1000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from the Rickenbacker Guitars HQ in Santa Ana, California.)
Rickenbacker-based guitars have provided the thunder for generations of rock bands. The bass here was played by John Paul Jones on this band's first US tour in 1969

COMPOUND WORDS $1200: A rural structure lends its name to this deep type of sink seen here

COMPOUND WORDS $2000: In Greek myth, Ganymede, at right, had this serving job

TIME'S 100 MOST INFLUENTIAL PEOPLE 2017 $800: Russell Crowe wrote the article on this "Saturday Night Live" star who owns all of who she is

OCTOBER OCCURRENCES $800: At Trafalgar on October 24, 1805, this 100-gun flagship carrying Admiral Nelson lived up to its name

CORRECT RESPONSES
the State Department
evening gloves
Swedish
bread
leprosy
the Department of Labor
a bearded collie
embedded
The Truman Show
chlorophylls
breaststroke
Fatima
Dale Carnegie
Luther Burbank
the carnation
the Mekong River
a serape
feedback
A Hard Day's Night
Pete Townshend
Led Zeppelin
farmhouse sink
cupbearer
Leslie Jones
the HMS Victory
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FLAGS OF THE WORLD

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The flag of Laos shows the white circle of the moon over the blue band, representing this river

Scarlett Sims: 7400-7000=400
Manny Abell: 16000+1199=17199 (New Champ)
Michelle Kritselis: 15600-5000=10600

Correct response:
Spoiler
Mekong (Scarlett – Ganges) (Michelle – Yangtze)

Daily Doubles
Manny: 1000+1000
Manny: 3200+1200
Michelle: 12600+3000

Coryats
Scarlett: 7400
Manny: 16000
Michelle: 14600

Combined: 38,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Scarlett: 3400
Manny: 3200
Michelle: 3400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I liked the shot of the museum after the first segment:
Spoiler
RICKENBACKER GUITARS was played last with the delay not needed as the players went 5/5 (including each contestant scoring) and spared forum readers Internet blow-up ink if any of the clues had been triple stumpers.

What’s that I hear? Carousel music? Manny bet box values on both of his DDs and only covered Scarlett, not Michelle, for the FJ! round. It worked fine today although I would not count on that strategy holding up long.

I will go out on a limb and predict DHK gets the FJ! clue right. Laos river was all that was needed for the solve although there is nothing wrong with having fun with flags.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:07 pm I liked the shot of the museum after the first segment:
Spoiler
RICKENBACKER GUITARS was played last with the delay not needed as the players went 5/5 (including each contestant scoring) and spared forum readers Internet blow-up ink if any of the clues had been triple stumpers.

What’s that I hear? Carousel music? Manny bet box values on both of his DDs and only covered Scarlett, not Michelle, for the FJ! round. It worked fine today although I would not count on that strategy holding up long.

I will go out on a limb and predict DHK gets the FJ! clue right. Laos river was all that was needed for the solve although there is nothing wrong with having fun with flags.
I'm guessing Manny thought Michelle would bet zero? This season seems to be dominated by Austin - and leading players offering up the win in FJ.

But I'm a little surprised at two misses here. "Famous river in SE Asia" and we get responses for India and China?
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

I like $4,600 from Michelle as a bet on the last Daily Double.

Mostly because I like the Faith Love scenario.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
Golf

Post by Golf »

Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:38 pm I'm guessing Manny thought Michelle would bet zero? This season seems to be dominated by Austin - and leading players offering up the win in FJ.
No, he wasn't letting Scarlett back in the game on a double-up.

While I don't necessarily begrudge a small wager from the lead, this one was terrible as it would have let Michelle win with a zero wager on a miss. Had Manny wagered $0-399 it would have been fine.

Michelle's wager was the worst by far however.
sims
Valued Contributor

Post by sims »

Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:38 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:07 pm I liked the shot of the museum after the first segment:
Spoiler

I'm guessing Manny thought Michelle would bet zero? This season seems to be dominated by Austin - and leading players offering up the win in FJ.

But I'm a little surprised at two misses here. "Famous river in SE Asia" and we get responses for India and China?
So to kind of explain my massive blunder there: I didn't think the river was Ganges but it was all I could think of. Mekong occurred to me but for some reason I was picturing Vietnam being where Korea is so I was like, no it can't be that. So that's my justification, if you can call it that. My head was just not in this game at all, and I think there's a reason a lot of people who take down champions don't last long.

Edit: also I believe Manny said something to the effect that he was basically only wagering to beat me, which doesn't make a ton of sense because I wasn't even playing as well that game.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

I miss Austin already. I was hoping for a longer run from Scarlett, but it wasn't in the cards.

I was worried when the FJ category came up, as vexillology is not a strength for me, but it turned out to be a geography clue and an instaget for me, and I notched my first 5-for-5 week of the season. I hope MarkBarrett chooses some H-Bomb-friendly extra clues for the poll. :D

Minor query: in the "compound words" category, Scarlett was credited with "guarddog" instead of the apparently intended response of "watchdog." Is "guarddog" a compound word? I've only ever seen it as two separate words. I found one online dictionary that lists it in compound form as a British word, but is that enough? I wonder if the judges had to weigh in on that one.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

sims wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:00 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:38 pm
Spoiler

So to kind of explain my massive blunder there: I didn't think the river was Ganges but it was all I could think of. Mekong occurred to me but for some reason I was picturing Vietnam being where Korea is so I was like, no it can't be that. So that's my justification, if you can call it that. My head was just not in this game at all, and I think there's a reason a lot of people who take down champions don't last long.

Edit: also I believe Manny said something to the effect that he was basically only wagering to beat me, which doesn't make a ton of sense because I wasn't even playing as well that game.
It's hard to have your head in the second game period, IMO--I was noticeably flakier myself, and I didn't have the utter shock of beating someone who'd won 12 times! It does your head in. First you're shocked you won, then it's "ok, change your shirt, do you need to pee?, makeup makeup makeup" and then you're right back out there, but your adrenaline is doing strange things to your brain at that point.
Golf

Post by Golf »

KellyLasiter wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:30 pm It's hard to have your head in the second game period, IMO--I was noticeably flakier myself, and I didn't have the utter shock of beating someone who'd won 12 times! It does your head in. First you're shocked you won
Am curious, why would a contestant be shocked they won? Isn't that the goal, isn't that why you are there? Shouldn't a contestant be shocked that they didn't win?
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

Golf wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:38 pm
KellyLasiter wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:30 pm It's hard to have your head in the second game period, IMO--I was noticeably flakier myself, and I didn't have the utter shock of beating someone who'd won 12 times! It does your head in. First you're shocked you won
Am curious, why would a contestant be shocked they won? Isn't that the goal, isn't that why you are there? Shouldn't a contestant be shocked that they didn't win?
Of course it's the goal, but let's say you were behind, and you were pretty sure you had FJ right but you thought the leader was going to get it too, and you'd been standing up there making your peace with second...well, that was what happened, and yes, I was shocked.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

sims wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:00 pm So to kind of explain my massive blunder there: ....................
Nobody who's been there would call it a "massive blunder" -- your performance yesterday taking down Austin shows you're not prone to "massive blunders." All of us, though, can be subject to brain hiccups.

I was eliminated when I saw my final FJ and thought, "They want us to say XYZ, but that's a trick question." Then when I couldn't think of a better answer, I let time run out and forgot the cardinal rule of "Put SOMETHING down." And then it turned out XYZ was the right answer.

Your move in putting down an answer you thought to be incorrect because you couldn't come up with a better one was exactly the right thing to do. I've wished I had done that for almost a year now!

Don't worry about the ones who give you a hard time about it. There are many things Jeopardy does -- one of them is provide the opportunity to look silly in front of 7 or 8 million people. It's an opportunity just about every single contestant takes advantage of at least once. Or in my case, several times.
Last edited by AFRET CMS on Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Golf wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:38 pm
That's the goal. And most contestants expect to do well. After all, they're the bar trivia champions and have irritated families because they shout out answers at the TV when contestants miss.

Then you get there and EVERY single competitor is just as good. "Expect to win" turns rapidly into "Hope to win" which then morphs into "It's OK if I lose as long as I don't look like a fool."

Shock at winning is perhaps not the term I would use, but surprise is certainly applicable, especially if it's not a lock game and the winner has to wait until the final wager is revealed.

Then, as Kelly pointed out, there's no time for absorption and reflection. It's move, move, move and back on stage in 12 minutes. Or in my case, 12.5 -- Maggie gave me a hard time because I took so long to put on my tie after I changed my shirt. I had to explain that I had never tried to tie one with my hands shaking that badly.

So, shock or not, it's definitely a lot to process in short period of time. After the week's shooting was done, the several champs that week pretty much agreed the first game was fun, the second game took place in a daze.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I was primed for that FJ of Mekong because it seems to me there was a question on Jeopardy just within the past 10 days or so about Laos banning something from the Mekong I don't remember what.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

sims wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:00 pm Edit: also I believe Manny said something to the effect that he was basically only wagering to beat me, which doesn't make a ton of sense because I wasn't even playing as well that game.
And Michelle could have kept you locked out, so it makes even less sense. Still, you've certainly got nothing to be ashamed of. Congrats on your performance.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:27 pm Minor query: in the "compound words" category, Scarlett was credited with "guarddog" instead of the apparently intended response of "watchdog." Is "guarddog" a compound word? I've only ever seen it as two separate words. I found one online dictionary that lists it in compound form as a British word, but is that enough? I wonder if the judges had to weigh in on that one.
It's a single word in the Scrabble dictionary: http://scrabble.merriam.com/finder/guarddog
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Golf wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:38 pm Shouldn't a contestant be shocked that they didn't win?
You've had a large number of terrible takes here on JBoard, Golf, and this is by far the worst one, and frankly the most arrogant, that I have seen out of you.

Literally 75% of contestants who go on the program do not win a game. That is literally the default state of a Jeopardy! contestant. That they do not win.

Play the game to try to win, yes. Clearly.

But if you're shocked if you don't win? That would do so much more psychological damage to yourself than if you knew that you were just fulfilling a lifelong dream just by being on the show and that while winning would be nice and amazing, sometimes the breaks don't fall your way (and that's perfectly okay.)
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
clprez

Post by clprez »

Well I only know about the Mekong River from reports of the Vietnam War, but fortunately in all the times it's come up on Jeopardy SE Asian River = Mekong. I finally looked it up tonight.