Friday, October 13, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, October 13, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Elijah Baley »

sims wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:00 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:38 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:07 pm I liked the shot of the museum after the first segment:
Spoiler
RICKENBACKER GUITARS was played last with the delay not needed as the players went 5/5 (including each contestant scoring) and spared forum readers Internet blow-up ink if any of the clues had been triple stumpers.

What’s that I hear? Carousel music? Manny bet box values on both of his DDs and only covered Scarlett, not Michelle, for the FJ! round. It worked fine today although I would not count on that strategy holding up long.

I will go out on a limb and predict DHK gets the FJ! clue right. Laos river was all that was needed for the solve although there is nothing wrong with having fun with flags.
I'm guessing Manny thought Michelle would bet zero? This season seems to be dominated by Austin - and leading players offering up the win in FJ.

But I'm a little surprised at two misses here. "Famous river in SE Asia" and we get responses for India and China?
So to kind of explain my massive blunder there: I didn't think the river was Ganges but it was all I could think of. Mekong occurred to me but for some reason I was picturing Vietnam being where Korea is so I was like, no it can't be that. So that's my justification, if you can call it that. My head was just not in this game at all, and I think there's a reason a lot of people who take down champions don't last long.

Edit: also I believe Manny said something to the effect that he was basically only wagering to beat me, which doesn't make a ton of sense because I wasn't even playing as well that game.
After I wrote that, my partner got to the question - and we had just watch the Ken Burns Vietnam series - and he drew a complete blank too. :shock:
clprez

Post by clprez »

hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:45 pm
clprez wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:30 pm fortunately in all the times it's come up on Jeopardy SE Asian River = Mekong.
Well, occasionally they've asked about the Irrawaddy, which runs through Myanmar.

http://www.j-archive.com/search.php?sea ... mit=Search

The Irrawaddy also came up in LL74, and Mekong was the MCWA for that question.

I do agree that J! is much more likely to ask about the Mekong than any other SE Asian river -- but be aware of the Myanmar-Irrawaddy pavlov. Basically, if they don't mention Myanmar or one of its cities, it's going to be the Mekong.
Irrawaddy was also recently an answer in Learned League, and I was among those that guessed the MCWA of Mekong.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:38 pm But I'm a little surprised at two misses here. "Famous river in SE Asia" and we get responses for India and China?

To be fair "SE Asia" isn't mentioned in the clue at all. Scarlett has already revealed she didn't know where Vietnam is, she may not have quite known where Laos is. Or Michelle for that matter. The fact that all three guessed rivers in the same general part of the world, despite not being spotted so much as a continent, shows that they all deserved to be there.

Oh, and TPTB? Thanks for the flags category, I always appreciate them, but could you save one for when I get on the show? ktnxbye
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

Seems that Jeopardy! has a big crush on Luther Burbank. I can't say that I've heard much, or anything, about him aside from in Jeopardy tests and the show itself. I'm sure he was a great and innovative man and scientist, but I'd bet a lot of money that way more Americans have an inkling of an idea who George Washington Carver is.

That said, when a clue starts talking about an agricultural scientist and puts up an obviously old picture of a white guy, I have finally been trained to think of Luther Burbank as the white alternative to George Washington Carver. That's what happened tonight, and, YEAH!, it worked! I can only explain this dichotomy - between my actual (pre-J! training) awareness of Burbank and the level the J! writers apparently expect of their players and watchers - as the frequently noted Southern California Bias effect on the J! writers.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

nlw44 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:12 pm more Americans have an inkling of an idea who George Washington Carver is.
The guy who chopped up George Washington?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

clprez wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:24 pm
clprez wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:30 pm fortunately in all the times it's come up on Jeopardy SE Asian River = Mekong.
Well, occasionally they've asked about the Irrawaddy, which runs through Myanmar.

I do agree that J! is much more likely to ask about the Mekong than any other SE Asian river -- but be aware of the Myanmar-Irrawaddy pavlov. Basically, if they don't mention Myanmar or one of its cities, it's going to be the Mekong.
Irrawaddy was also recently an answer in Learned League, and I was among those that guessed the MCWA of Mekong.
You just basically repeated my penultimate paragraph. :)
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:31 am Is there now a retroactive curse going on?
Hasn't there always been one?
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

dhkendall wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:16 pm
nlw44 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:12 pm more Americans have an inkling of an idea who George Washington Carver is.
"I cannot tell a lie, Father. I chopped up George Washington."
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:17 pm
dhkendall wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:16 pm
"I cannot tell a lie, Father. I chopped up George Washington."
And he went well with fava beans and a nice chianti.
clprez

Post by clprez »

hbomb1947 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:36 pm
clprez wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:24 pm

You just basically repeated my penultimate paragraph. :)
Oops. :oops:
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Yeah, ah well. Scarlett we miss you! Giant Killer go gurl! Grats Navy Manny! Good game guys. Sigh... so many giant killers go one & done... Zerged! :(
Instaget FJ BTW, I sailed down that river at Laos on furlough once... shhh! 8-)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Golf wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:54 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:38 pm I'm guessing Manny thought Michelle would bet zero? This season seems to be dominated by Austin - and leading players offering up the win in FJ.
No, he wasn't letting Scarlett back in the game on a double-up.

While I don't necessarily begrudge a small wager from the lead, this one was terrible as it would have let Michelle win with a zero wager on a miss. Had Manny wagered $0-399 it would have been fine.

Michelle's wager was the worst by far however.
An interesting scenario on the FJ situation. If Michelle bets to lock out Scarlett, she tops out at $799. If Manny wants to beat that, he has to bet $400, which puts him at a tie with Michelle on a miss if she bets zero.

But I am of the belief you should make the MSB from the lead every time. Even if you really hate the category. You are in the lead going into FJ, you didn't get there by being stupid. While there is certainly logic in Manny betting small, that is predicated on the idea that Michelle will also be betting small. Assuming the other player will make the most logical bet is a deadly strategy.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

dhkendall wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:15 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:38 pm But I'm a little surprised at two misses here. "Famous river in SE Asia" and we get responses for India and China?

To be fair "SE Asia" isn't mentioned in the clue at all. Scarlett has already revealed she didn't know where Vietnam is, she may not have quite known where Laos is. Or Michelle for that matter. The fact that all three guessed rivers in the same general part of the world, despite not being spotted so much as a continent, shows that they all deserved to be there.

Oh, and TPTB? Thanks for the flags category, I always appreciate them, but could you save one for when I get on the show? ktnxbye
No, SE Asia wasn't specifically mentioned so yes, I assumed that most folks know generally where Vietnam is located within Asia. Maybe the whole episode is simply fading into the background for the younger generation, in the same way that there are probably scores of WWII and WWI locations that were immediately recognizable for their generations and lost to many/most today.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

this game seemed like a tennis match involving a player who defeated serena williams in their previous match..everything used to in the previous match to come up with the upset and nothing left in the follow up which then leads to a flat performance and an eventual defeat