Monday, October 16, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, October 16, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7611, 2017-10-16

CONTESTANTS
Jayanthi Martins, a finance manager from Austin, Texas
Emily Wilson, a nonprofit fundraising operations manager from Brooklyn, New York
Manny Abell, a Naval officer from Lacey, Washington (whose 1-day cash winnings total $17,199)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Thank you, Johnny. Hi, folks. Good to have you with us today to start another great week on Jeopardy! The Navy well-represented by our current champion. Emily and Jayanthi, welcome aboard, and good luck to all three of you. Here comes the Jeopardy! Round. First round of play with one Daily Double and these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ALSO A FRIENDS CHARACTER (4/5)
NEWBERY MEDAL WINNERS (5/5)
AT THE "M"PORIUM (4/5)
CAUGHT (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WITH YOUR HAND (4/5)
IN THE COOKIE JAR (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Manny: 13 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Emily: 7 R (including 3 rebounds), 1 W
Jayanthi: 7 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Manny found the Daily Double on the 14th clue. Manny had $2,800, Emily had $200, and Jayanthi was at $1,600. Manny wagered $1,000.

CAUGHT $800: She was captured in 1430 while protecting her rear guard as they crossed the Oise River

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Manny: $3,800
Jayanthi: $2,600
Emily: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Jayanthi Martins is a finance person from Austin, Texas. There have been many scenes in motion pictures--marriage scenes, wedding scenes at the church--where the groom is standing there and wondering, "Is the bride going to arrive, the bride going to arrive?" And you were involved in one of those.

Jayanthi: Yeah. In fact, I almost married the wrong man.

Alex: What?

Jayanthi: Not quite. No, just kidding. My husband and I, we met in Atlanta. And we both are from different parts of India, and we hadn't been to each other's hometowns. So we went to India and did a church wedding in his hometown and a Hindu wedding in my hometown. And there are two very similarly named churches, and the driver took me to the wrong church.

[Laughter]

Jayanthi: But thankfully, there was no wedding, so I didn't get married to the wrong man.

Alex: Okay.

Jayanthi: We figured it out and went back to the right one.

Alex: All right, good for you.

Alex: Emily Wilson, from Brooklyn, New York. Now you once played wingman to Kanye West? What does that mean?

Emily: That's right. So I used to work in a King Tut museum in Times Square. And a few years ago, post-Amber Rose, pre-Kim Kardashian, Kanye West brought a date to this museum and took her through, rapping about ancient Egypt. And I was there to hold the elevator, and set it up. I left them some privacy, but, uh, it must've--it must not have gone so well, 'cause that's not where he ended up.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Manny Abell. Lieutenant from Washington now. What do you do in the Navy?

Manny: I am a Naval flight officer by trade.

Alex: So you fly?

Manny: Yes.

Alex: That's got a pretty big engine. An F-17?

Manny: Well, it's not what I fly. But yeah, big engine. Goes fast enough. So there you go.

Alex: The thrill of speed.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ALSO A FRIENDS CHARACTER $1000: A moon of Saturn

AT THE "M"PORIUM $600: Got a lovely shrubbery for you--this evergreen, whose name is on a famous beach
(Jayanthi: What's a mulberry?)

WITH YOUR HAND $400: When doing this with one hand, try using a cascade, shower or column pattern & try not to drop anything

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Manny: $4,200
Jayanthi: $3,600
Emily: $3,400
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, October 16, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PAINT BY NUMBERS (5/5)
TECHNOLOGY (5/5)
BIOPICS OF BRITS (3/5)
NON -IA COUNTRIES (5/5) (Alex: Each country will end with two vowels, but they will not be "I-A".)
THE HISTORY BOOKSHELF (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PHRASES LITERALLY TRANSLATED (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Manny: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Emily: 10 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Jayanthi: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Emily snagged the next Daily Double on the 8th clue. Manny had $5,000, Emily had $7,000, and Jayanthi was at $5,600. Emily wagered $2,000.

PHRASES LITERALLY TRANSLATED $1200: Don't overcook the pasta--I like it "to the tooth"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Manny who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 23rd clue. Manny had $11,000, Emily had $7,800, and Jayanthi was at $10,800. Manny wagered $4,000.

THE HISTORY BOOKSHELF $1600: William Shirer's "The Rise and Fall of" this numerical abomination

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PHRASES LITERALLY TRANSLATED $2000: Gerry Adams is the leader of "Ourselves Alone"

BIOPICS OF BRITS $800: Renee Zellweger played "Miss" her, looking for a publisher for her & Peter Rabbit

BIOPICS OF BRITS $2000: This word for a hedonistic rake is the title of a film with Johnny Depp as hedonistic rake John Wilmot

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Manny: $19,000
Jayanthi: $12,400
Emily: $11,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BIG BUSINESS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Manny: Wager $5,801 to cover Jayanthi.
Jayanthi: You have the hope of surpassing Manny if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $10,401 to force Manny to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Emily.
Emily: Your only hope of a win is that you're the only one to give a correct response, so bet $11,398 or so, leaving a few bucks behind in case someone wagers it all.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 2000 this company reported revenues of more than $100 billion; in 2001 it was bankrupt

FINAL SCORES
Emily: $11,400 + $8,000 = $19,400 (What is Diapers.com? Enron?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Jayanthi: $12,400 - $12,400 = $0 (What is General Motors?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Manny: $19,000 + $6,599 = $25,599 (What is Enron?) (2-day champion: $42,798)
(Alex: Little bit of funny accounting with this company.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Manny: $16,400, 23 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Jayanthi: $12,400, 14 R, 3 W
Emily: $10,600, 17 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Combined Coryat: $39,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Manny: 24/60 = .400
Emily: 18/59 = .305
Jayanthi: 14/58 = .241
Team: 56/63 = .889

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ALSO A FRIENDS CHARACTER $800: Name of an ice shelf near the South Pole
(Emily: What is Chandler?)

IN THE COOKIE JAR $800: Would you care for this, with a spice in its name? It's great for dunking
(Manny: What's a snickerdoodle?)

AT THE "M"PORIUM $1000: Lovely rings for your every finger, all with diamonds in this noble cut

NEWBERY MEDAL WINNERS $1000: 1977's winner was the classic "Roll of Thunder," these 3 words
(Manny: What is clash of thunder?)

WITH YOUR HAND $1000: If you're going to use jazz hands so often, at least credit this "Pippin" choreographer who helped popularize them
(Jayanthi: Who is Jerome Robbins?)

WITH YOUR HAND $800: If you don't have a canine, you can still walk the dog using this toy
(Manny: What is... uh, a leash?)

TECHNOLOGY $800: In 1977 Dennis Hayes & Dale Heatherington invented this, enabling a PC to transmit data via phone lines
(Jayanthi: What is email?)

TECHNOLOGY $2000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents from the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, CA.) Seen here in a 2002 replica that's 7 feet high, 11 feet long and 5 tons, Difference Engine Number 2 was designed to remove human error from scientific tables; it was a groundbreaking computer concept by this British inventor back in the 1840s

NON -IA COUNTRIES $2000: Once known as Portuguese East Africa, it was settled by the Bantu almost 2,000 years ago
(Emily: What is Namibia?)

PAINT BY NUMBERS $400: A still life by Van Gogh is often called "Vase with 15" these, though Vincent himself wrote there were 14

PAINT BY NUMBERS $800: An 1850 masterpiece by Ivan Aivazovsky is entitled "The Ninth" this

THE HISTORY BOOKSHELF $2000: The best-selling "A People's History of the United States" by this activist and Boston University professor

PAINT BY NUMBERS $1200: Here's his "Number 16, 1949"

PAINT BY NUMBERS $1600: Here's this French master's "Napoleon Crossing the Alps at Great St. Bernard Pass, the 20th of May, 1800"

PAINT BY NUMBERS $2000: "Two Girls Dressing a Kitten by Candlelight" is a masterpiece of this Italian-named contrast of light and dark

CORRECT RESPONSES
Joan of Arc
Phoebe
the myrtle
juggling
al dente
the Third Reich
Sinn Fein
Beatrix Potter
the lIbertine
Enron
Ross
a gingersnap
marquise
hear my cry
Bob Fosse
a yo-yo
a modem
(Charles) Babbage
Mozambique
sunflowers
wave
(Howard) Zinn
Jackson Pollock
(Jacques-Louis) David
chiaroscuro
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BIG BUSINESS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 2000 this company reported revenues of more than $100 billion; in 2001 it was bankrupt

Manny Abell: 19000+6599=25599 (2x = $42,798)
Emily Wilson: 11400+8000=19400
Jayanthi Martins: 12400-12400=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
Enron (Emily – Diapers.com Enron) (Jayanthi – General Motors)

Daily Doubles
Manny: 2800+1000
Emily: 7000+2000
Manny: 11000+4000

Coryats
Manny: 16400
Emily: 10600
Jayanthi: 12400

Combined: 39,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Manny: 4200
Emily: 3400
Jayanthi: 3600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Okay players, you want to offer up juggling and Miss Potter for the 4th podium? We'll take it at home.

All three players had their buzzers at visibility level, so on many clues it was easy to see who was attempting to get in and who was still.

ALSO A FRIENDS CHARACTER was an easy run even with not being a viewer of that show and it made the J!6 clue a gimme for that category.

I don't know enough about BIG BUSINESS to have considered any other possibilities for clue's wording, so the week is off to a good start. Manny proved me wrong about the carousel as he put on the brakes for there being another new champ today.

It was a nice pace by all the contestants today with mostly a straightforward march through the clues with little extra going on.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Manny kept the carousel from spinning, but it took a miss from Jayanthi to do it. She implied in her interview she is not a native of this country. I wonder if she didn't live here then and that hurt her in FJ.

I did consider GM, but the wording seemed to me like they were saying the company no longer existed so that led me to Enron. But that was just a guess so I left it blank.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:51 pm Manny kept the carousel from spinning, but it took a miss from Jayanthi to do it. She implied in her interview she is not a native of this country. I wonder if she didn't live here then and that hurt her in FJ.

I did consider GM, but the wording seemed to me like they were saying the company no longer existed so that led me to Enron. But that was just a guess so I left it blank.
Hammer will have to check my math, but I think Manny still wins even if Jayanthi solved the FJ! clue correctly.

Ha! The old dismiss a correct guess and instead going for a blank page. Good one. I ain't falling for it. You are 1/1 this week.

As far as Jayanthi's background and timeline you may have read a little more into her interview than I did. If you have an account here then perhaps it gives more history? https://www.linkedin.com/in/jayanthi-martins-763691

In my experience many children have come to the States from India at a young age and going back to India for marriage in no way indicates a person's amount of time in the U.S.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:33 pm
Bamaman wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:51 pm Manny kept the carousel from spinning, but it took a miss from Jayanthi to do it. She implied in her interview she is not a native of this country. I wonder if she didn't live here then and that hurt her in FJ.
Hammer will have to check my math, but I think Manny still wins even if Jayanthi solved the FJ! clue correctly.
I did a brief double-take when I saw Manny's bet, but I correctly ascertained that he had a crush game. His bet did cover Jayanthi.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Also, as another exhibit in the "nobody has any idea how the stage will affect you" file:

The look on Emily's face when she was figuring out her Daily Double wager seemed to be one of abject fear, and it felt to me as though it took her a good few clues to recover from that stress (a series of clues in which her opponents did rather well).
Andy Saunders
PanthersFan1
Contributor

Post by PanthersFan1 »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:57 pm
I did a brief double-take when I saw Manny's bet, but I correctly ascertained that he had a crush game. His bet did cover Jayanthi.
Manny's bet was the same he made in his first game exept this time he would had stayed in front of 2nd place(not 3rd) by a dollar on a miss if 2nd bet 0.
Last edited by PanthersFan1 on Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:30 pm Also, as another exhibit in the "nobody has any idea how the stage will affect you" file:

The look on Emily's face when she was figuring out her Daily Double wager seemed to be one of abject fear, and it felt to me as though it took her a good few clues to recover from that stress (a series of clues in which her opponents did rather well).
We'll see if some of these early posts are enough to get Emily and Jayanthi to pop in and respond since their names are coming up. Here is Emily deciding on a wager for DD2:
Spoiler

Anyone have a video link for the intriguing J! promo for this week?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Ha! The old dismiss a correct guess and instead going for a blank page. Good one. I ain't falling for it. You are 1/1 this week.

As far as Jayanthi's background and timeline you may have read a little more into her interview than I did. If you have an account here then perhaps it gives more history? https://www.linkedin.com/in/jayanthi-martins-763691

In my experience many children have come to the States from India at a young age and going back to India for marriage in no way indicates a person's amount of time in the U.S.
Yeah, I screwed up the math there. He does win no matter what she does. The non-MSB ending in 99 made me think he had a repeat from Friday.

I hedged my bet on her background since all she said was she was from India. I'm not on Linked In, but I did find her on Facebook but it gave no clue as to where she was in 2001. But she does appear to have been in elementary school then, so that didn't help her.

But I wasn't and you got me on this one as I indeed am one step towards a perfect week.
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:01 pm I hedged my bet on her background since all she said was she was from India. I'm not on Linked In, but I did find her on Facebook but it gave no clue as to where she was in 2001. But she does appear to have been in elementary school then, so that didn't help her.

But I wasn't and you got me on this one as I indeed am one step towards a perfect week.
I'm Canadian, so I don't know this as well as I should, but is Sarbanes-Oxley still a thing?
Andy Saunders
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

She reacted with a wince and a hand to the forehead when Alex mentioned that the company had some accounting troubles. That suggests she had the right info in her head and just didn't put it together. I was glad at least that didn't make the difference between winning and not. It did cost her $1000 though.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Precalled young kangaroo = Joey in "Also a Friends Character", which was my only get. The only "Santa ___" I could think of was Santa Barbara.

"Mallomars" was a massive difficulty spike in Cookies. Never heard of them, never saw them in stores. Possible poll question?

Strangely, $400 was my only outright miss in Technology. Didn't think fax would've gone that far back.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Coryat: $20,200
DDs: 2/3
FJ!: :mrgreen:

85% of all Mallomars are sold in the New York metropolitan area, per The Other Wiki. Every single one is produced at the Dad's Cookies factory, about a 20 minute drive from where I live in Toronto, ON. But they aren't sold here. I've only ever heard of similar cookies called Dare Whippets or Viva Puffs. Definitely one for the weekly poll. "I have heard of Mallomars", and "Mallomars aren't sold where I live, but something similar is".

Instaget FJ!.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:13 pmI'm Canadian, so I don't know this as well as I should, but is Sarbanes-Oxley still a thing?
Yes. However, the Financial Choice Act, which would weaken SOX (as well as Dodd-Frank), has passed the House and is currently before the Senate. Its Senate sponsor is trying to attract enough Democrats to get the bill past the 60-vote filibuster threshold.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Instaget. GM came later- 2009. I expected a triple get on what is pretty common current event and still in recent cultural memory. Precall: Lehman Bros.

LT: Phoebe, Beatrix Potter, libertine. Sadly no get on juggling! Sigh... :?

44R. Lately I am hitting 42R with SD of +/-2 so high 46 low 38 within 2 SDs on my bellus Gallica curve. So I gave up reporting tedious statistics. ;)
Last edited by goatman on Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

38 correct plus final!

Though a hair before my time, remembered Enron from past curiosity and the old corporate name from the Houston Astros' home park. I had this FJ down and correct before Alex finished reading the clue with no detours or second guessing.

I thought it was quite fortuitous to find Howard Zinn in the bottom row box in Historical Bookshelf .. we read part of his book in question during APUSH... And then it kept coming. 1491? Right on my desk as required reading for world history. Jacques-Louis David? That exact painting on the cover of my Romanticism textbook. Got a nice laugh at my good fortune.

Wasn't a huge fan of how the Non-IA countries category was set up. I forgot Alex's explanation by the time we looped back around to that and ended up missing two of those clues (bad misses on my part, admittedly, but still).
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

And this season's trend of easy-peasy FJ's continues. Another one that I (and I'm sure many others) solved well before Alex finished reading the clue. I'll take it, though, extending my streak of correct FJ's to 9.

In the "foreign phrases" category, there was a huge leap in difficulty from "mano a mano" at $1600 to "Sinn Fein" at $2K (although the latter was certainly fair game for the bottom box).

I forget what the category was, but there was a "What is The Ho(e)?" opportunity in the clue that asked for the title of a play about a hedonistic rake.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:30 pm And this season's trend of easy-peasy FJ's continues. Another one that I (and I'm sure many others) solved well before Alex finished reading the clue. I'll take it, though, extending my streak of correct FJ's to 9.
Yeah, that. Briefly flirted w/pets.com, but even the dot.coms didn't make that kind of money in their heyday.