Tuesday, October 17, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

doriko
Contributor

Re: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by doriko »

I would have gotten FJ except for my spelling error. I misspelled Iran as "Iraq." Judges?
:lol: You didn't add a syllable, so I think you're good.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

doriko wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:27 pm
I would have gotten FJ except for my spelling error. I misspelled Iran as "Iraq." Judges?
:lol: You didn't add a syllable, so I think you're good.
"I watch CNN but I'm not sure I can tell you / The difference in Iraq and Iran"
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:05 am
alietr wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:47 pm Ugh. How do people not know that Iran is on the Persian Gulf?!? I can see not knowing that it borders the Caspian, but that's pretty basic.
Geography and maps seem to be areas people are strongly divided on. It's a very rare day for me that I don't look at a map at least once, but I know plenty of people who only do so under extreme duress (my wife being one of them).
I look at them, I just don't hold visual information in my head for long...Another Saudi Arabia here...wish I'd thought of Iran.
I found the beginning of the game a little jarring...A 3.0 GPA isn't a B...it's a B average. I expected a BMS there, but since all the other clues were a letter only, it seems B was what they wanted.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

MTGcollegestudent wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:04 am ... First, by an Air Force lieutenant, and now by a Navy officer. What should be next is an Army contestant to finish with $1....
The Air Force does not have Lts. It does have Lt Cols, which I think the previous $1 winner was.

The Navy does have Lts and with 2 stripes on his shoulder, that's Manny's rank.
OCSam
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

PanthersFan1 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:24 pm Bring Back Austin!!!

This Show sucks without him.
totally agree...pretty sure he would have run these schmoes
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

once again jeopardy contestants show they are inept at geography...really wish they had a geography/sports jeopardy game...the 2 categories in which the majority of contestants suck...my 2 wheelhouse categories and could do well with it
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:18 pm About the only thing I remembered from seeing 2001: A Space Odyssey at the theater in 1968 before falling asleep was the visual phone - and the idea of taking a plane to the moon.
The video call ends with the Bell System logo on the left -- it would have been the perfect place for them to introduce their new logo, the one on the right, but product placement hadn't been perfected as an art form yet. (That new logo actually didn't get introduced until 1969.)

CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

sims wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:05 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:47 pm
Weird Al is a "rock" satirist? That almost seems like it should be tagged as erratum. Most of the songs he parodies seem to fall under Top 40/pop.

I also thought that Carlos should have been penalized for not pronouncing his name right.
totally agree...they often chastise people for butchering names and it is pretty well known that vic is the ending sound and not vich
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:01 am
sims wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:05 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:47 pm
Weird Al is a "rock" satirist? That almost seems like it should be tagged as erratum. Most of the songs he parodies seem to fall under Top 40/pop.

I also thought that Carlos should have been penalized for not pronouncing his name right.
totally agree...they often chastise people for butchering names and it is pretty well known that vic is the ending sound and not vich
For Al and his family maybe, but not for all surnames ending in "vic." The "vich" pronunciation is more accurate to the name Yankovic is derived from. Like, should players be penalized for saying "Who is Steve Bushemi?" because Buscemi himself pronounces it "Busemi"?
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:44 am Like, should players be penalized for saying "Who is Steve Bushemi?" because Buscemi himself pronounces it "Busemi"?
You start down that road and you have to deny credit for people who stress the wrong syllable of "Kournikova".

On the other hand, I don't think I want to live in a world where "A Midsummer's Night Dream" is counted as correct.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

OrangeSAM wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:04 am The Air Force does not have Lts. It does have Lt Cols, which I think the previous $1 winner was.
Sure they do. They have 2nd LT and 1st LT, either of which can be called simply "lieutenant".
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

OrangeSAM wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:04 am
MTGcollegestudent wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:04 am ... First, by an Air Force lieutenant, and now by a Navy officer. What should be next is an Army contestant to finish with $1....
The Air Force does not have Lts. It does have Lt Cols, which I think the previous $1 winner was.

The Navy does have Lts and with 2 stripes on his shoulder, that's Manny's rank.
The Air Force (and Army and Marines) have multiple officer grades with "Lieutenant" in the rank: 2nd Lt (O-1, equivalent to a Navy Ensign), 1st Lt (O-2, equivalent to a Navy Lt J.G.), Lt Col (O-5, equivalent to a Navy Commander), and Lt Gen (O-9, equivalent to a Navy Vice Admiral).
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:18 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:58 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:34 pm I don't even know that "visual phone" was a horrible guess - and I really assume that Carlos must have thought it was 1883 because why else would "rotary phone" come to mind - but cell phone just seemed blindingly obvious and like the first thing that would pop into most people's heads. And yes, those early cell phones were crazy and basically required lugging around a briefcase.
'

"Visual phone" wasn't the worst guess in the world, although the first stand-alone video-phone was actually introduced in 1969, and as a product they never really became commonplace and it wasn't until the advent of computer and phone apps like Skype and Facetime (as opposed to selling videophones as a self-contained product) that video telephony became ubiquitous. (And would J! ask in the top box about the first instance of a product that fizzled out?) But the point is, Fran was clearly guessing, and with time running out, after she temporarily gained the lead when Carlos negged with "rotary phone," she should not just have been guessing. I would think that you always want to go into FJ with a lead rather than tied, especially in the era of tiebreaker clues. Admittedly, given Carlos's savvy wagering on DD's, he might have then bet small on FJ and won on the TS. But Fran lost anyway, and staying clam on the phone clue would have given her a better chance of winning.

And this is leaving aside that as I noted upthread, the nugget in the clue about the first commercially available cellphone being introduced in 1983 appears to have been incorrect.
About the only thing I remembered from seeing 2001: A Space Odyssey at the theater in 1968 before falling asleep was the visual phone - and the idea of taking a plane to the moon. In my defense, I was 7 - but the movie is also a good cure for insomnia.
I remember when we visited the Northwest Angle in 2003 I was excited to learn that customs is handled by a video phone you’re asked to use when you get to / leave town, as I’ve never used a video phone before. Imagine my disappointment when the video part was broken at the time and I just had to talk to customs on the regular (old school) phone like a schlub.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

PanthersFan1 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:24 pm Bring Back Austin!!!

This Show sucks without him.
You'll get your wish next month (ToC). He tied Seth Wilson for most games won (12).

https://www.jeopardy.com/tournaments/tournament-tracker
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

econgator wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:50 am
OrangeSAM wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:04 am The Air Force does not have Lts. It does have Lt Cols, which I think the previous $1 winner was.
Sure they do. They have 2nd LT and 1st LT, either of which can be called simply "lieutenant".
Correct.

How much of M*A*S*H has leaked from my head?
OCSam
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

OrangeSAM wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:40 pm
econgator wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:50 am
Correct.

How much of M*A*S*H has leaked from my head?
Everything I know about Air Force ranks comes from Stargate: SG-1.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest