Tuesday, October 17, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, October 17, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7612, 2017-10-17

Manny Abell wins with $1.

CONTESTANTS
Fran Fried, a writer, editor and DJ from Prospect, Connecticut
Carlos Nobleza Posas, an actor from Salt Lake City, Utah
Manny Abell, a Naval officer from Lacey, Washington (whose 2-day cash winnings total $42,798)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome, everyone. Well, the Navy is well-represented by our current champion, Manny. Today, we are happy to welcome Fran and Carlos. Good luck, players. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round. And today, the three of you have to deal with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
I'M A HUGE FAN (4/5)
THE MIDWEST (4/5)
LETTER PERFECT (5/5)
A NOVEL IDEA (2/4, including 1 missed Daily Double)
LET'S SAVE THE PLANET (4/4)
LET'S REMODEL THE KITCHEN (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Manny: 8 R (including 3 rebounds), 2 W
Carlos: 8 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Fran: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Fran: $3,800
Carlos: $2,400
Manny: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Fran Fried is a writer, editor and DJ from Connecticut who has narrated a documentary that is currently being shown all around the country, and I hadn't heard of it. Tell me.

Fran: Well, it's a documentary. It's a short one, about half an hour, about a high school in Connecticut--Staples High in Westport, where before concerts became an industry, back in the mid-60s to the early '70s, they brought some of the biggest names in music to our little auditorium.

Alex: Really?

Fran: Yep. Steven Tyler's teenage band opened for The Yardbirds there.

Alex: Wow.

Fran: The Doors, Cream. Let's see. Buddy Miles--

Alex: Stop there. You're bringing back too many memories for me. All righty.

Alex: Carlos Nobleza Posas from Salt Lake City, Utah, has done something twice that I have thought about but never really wanted to do. You have run with the bulls. Am I correct in assuming this was in Pamplona?

Carlos: Pamplona and in New Orleans, where I'm from originally.

Alex: Wait a minute. They have bull--a bull run in...

Carlos: No. They have volunteers sign up, who are ladies from the local roller derby team, who chase you around with Wiffle bats.

[Laughter]

Carlos: I will say they are as intimidating as the fighting bulls of Pamplona, Spain.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Manny Abell, from Lacey, Washington. Your dad, who was a foreign service officer, gave you a special gift when you became a flight officer. What was it?

Manny: When I finished my flight training and was presented with my wings, he also gave me a set of wings that were 14-karat gold, with my name engraved on it. And these aren't those, those are safe at home, but they--it's one of my most treasured possessions.

Alex: Terrific.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Carlos found the Daily Double on the 22nd clue. Manny had $2,000, Carlos had $4,000, and Fran was at $4,000. Carlos made it a True Daily Double, wagering $4,000.

A NOVEL IDEA $600: Chapters in this classic include "5 June 1832" & "Marius Enters the Darkness"
(Carlos: What is the Heart of Darkness?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE MIDWEST $200: Population about 70,000, it's where to go to see the Hawkeyes play in Kinnick Stadium
(Carlos: What is Iowa?)
(Alex: We need the place, the city.)

I'M A HUGE FAN $600: The "flies" at tarflies.com like to post about "TAR", this CBS reality competition

A NOVEL IDEA $1000: His 1903 novel "The Ambassadors" is about a Yank in Europe convincing a wayward son to come home

LET'S REMODEL THE KITCHEN $1000: Kitchen counter-tops? How 'bout this mineral, the 2nd-most abundant in Earth's crust, & cheaper than granite
(Fran: What is marble?)
(Manny: Darn that.)
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now, Manny.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Fran: $2,800
Manny: $2,200
Carlos: $400
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ANCIENT WISDOM (2/4)
SUPREME COURT JUSTICE BEFORE & AFTER (3/5)
IT'S A BATTLE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
INVENTION & DISCOVERY (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
OCTOBER: SPORTS FANS' HEAVEN (5/5)
A SUFFIX WILL SUFFICE (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Fran: 10 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Carlos: 7 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Manny: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $11,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Fran snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Manny had $2,200, Carlos had $800, and Fran was at $4,000. Fran wagered $1,500.

IT'S A BATTLE $1200: On Sept. 17, 1862 in Maryland, over 3,000 men were killed & 17,000 wounded in this blood battle

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Carlos who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 27th clue. Manny had $600, Carlos had $7,600, and Fran was at $12,700. Carlos wagered $5,100.

INVENTION & DISCOVERY $2000: William Shockley shared a Nobel Prize for creating this device that supplanted vacuum tubes in electronics

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SUPREME COURT JUSTICE BEFORE & AFTER $800: He replaced Thurgood Marshall & chugged his way around the island of Sodor

IT'S A BATTLE $1600: The second battle of this French river in 1918 was the last major German offensive in World War I
(Manny: What is the Somme?)

SUPREME COURT JUSTICE BEFORE & AFTER $2000: Current justice who's been known to launch a rocket or 2

A SUFFIX WILL SUFFICE $800: Cut out this suffix & you could be left with "append" or "tonsill"
(Manny: What is -itis?)
(Carlos: What is A-G-E?)

ANCIENT WISDOM $1600: In the 4th century B.C., Aristotle said that "man is by nature" this type of "animal"
(Manny: What is a social animal?)

ANCIENT WISDOM $2000: This Roman poet's "Georgics" tells us, "Happy the man who has been able to learn the causes of things"

INVENTION & DISCOVERY $1600: A blood test for cancer is called a "liquid" this test; one developed in Sweden finds it with 96% accuracy from 1 drop
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now, Carlos.)

INVENTION & DISCOVERY $800: Element 113 on the periodic table is named nihonium due to its discovery in this country

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Fran: $12,300
Carlos: $12,300
Manny: $1,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ASIAN GEOGRAPHY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Prisoner's dilemma.
Fran: Do you trust Carlos? Then bet $0.
Carlos: Don't trust Fran? Then bet $12,300 and hope for an easy Final Jeopardy! clue.
Manny: If Fran and Carlos both wager all $12,300 and give incorrect responses, you'll wind up the winner so long as you don't bet more than $999. Since your score is less than half either of theirs (meaning you can't overtake them by wagering money) and your win is predicated on both of them getting Final wrong (meaning that, chances are, you won't get it right either), a wager of $0 seems wisest.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It's the only country that borders both the Caspian Sea & the Persian Gulf

FINAL SCORES
Manny: $1,000 - $999 = $1 (What is Iraq?) (3-day champion: $42,799)
Carlos: $12,300 - $12,300 = $0 (What is Azerbaijan?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Fran: $12,300 - $12,300 = $0 (What is Tibet?) (2nd place: $2,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $14,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Carlos: $13,200, 15 R (including 1 DD), 6 W (including 1 DD)
Fran: $12,000, 17 R (including 1 DD), 5 W
Manny: $1,000, 12 R, 5 W
Combined Coryat: $26,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Fran: 17/59 = .288
Carlos: 15/60 = .250
Manny: 12/58 = .207
Team: 44/63 = .698

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
LETTER PERFECT $200: A 3.0 GPA
(Carlos: What is an A+?)
(Fran: What is an A?)

LETTER PERFECT $400: 500, in Roman numerals
(Manny: What is C?)

THE MIDWEST $400: State where you can visit the American Swedish Institute, in the mansion built by immigrant Swan Turnblad

I'M A HUGE FAN $800: Change one of the vowels in a Zodiac sign & you get this .org devoted to the director of "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington"
(Fran: What is [*]? Capra. What is Capra?)

I'M A HUGE FAN $1000: Bellarinas are fans of this young performer seen here

LET'S REMODEL THE KITCHEN $800: Instead of an island, we'll be installing this item seen here, also named for a type of landmass

A NOVEL IDEA $400: There's a lot more to Mr. Wednesday than meets the eye in this 2001 Neil Gaiman novel
(Carlos: What is The Sandman?)

LET'S SAVE THE PLANET $600: npca.org aims to protect these, like Acadia in Maine & Kings Canyon in California
(Fran: What are national forests?)

LET'S SAVE THE PLANET $800: An org. founded in 1881 & including over 3,900 utilities aims to preserve this, "the world's most important resource"
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

IT'S A BATTLE $800: The footage seen here was shot during this World War II battle that would go on for another month

A SUFFIX WILL SUFFICE $2000: Add it to "my" or "neur" & you've got a real pain
(Fran: What is -osis?)
(Carlos: -opathy. -opathy. What is -opathy?)
[Originally ruled incorrect, ruled correct before the second Daily Double]

INVENTION & DISCOVERY $400: On October 13, 1983 David Meilahn & Bob Barnett made the first calls on a commercial one of these, talking to Bell's grandkid
(Carlos: What is a telephone?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Carlos: What is a rotary telephone?)
(Fran: What is a visual telephone?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Les Miserables
Iowa City
The Amazing Race
Henry James
quartz
Antietam
a transistor
Clarence Thomas the Tank Engine
the Marne
Anthony Kennedy Space Center
-ectomy
a political animal
Virgil
a liquid biopsy
Japan
Iran
a B
D
Minnesota
Capracorn (.org)
Bella Thorne
a peninsula
American Gods
national parks
water
Iwo Jima
-algia (or -opathy)
a cellular telephone
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ASIAN GEOGRAPHY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It’s the only country that borders both the Caspian Sea & the Persian Gulf

Manny Abell: 1000-999=1 (3x = $42,799)
Carlos Nobleza Posas: 12300-12300=0
Fran Fried: 12300-12300=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
Iran (Manny – Iraq) (Carlos – Azerbaijan) (Fran – Tibet)

Daily Doubles
Carlos: 4000-4000
Fran: 4000+1500
Carlos: 7600+5100

Coryats
Manny: 1000
Carlos: 13200
Fran: 12000

Combined: 26,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Manny: 2200
Carlos: 400
Fran: 2800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Somme of this:
#5346, aired 2007-12-03 THIS & THAT $200: In September 1916 during WWI's Battle of the Somme, the British rolled out this new weapon [Tank]
#4675, aired 2004-12-24 YOU'RE IN FOR A BATTLE $1600: The valley of this French river was the scene of a 1916 battle that had over 1 million casualties

And Marne of that:
Today’s clue: The second battle of this French river in 1918 was the last major German offensive in World War I
#7542, aired 2017-05-30 THE 1910s $1000: A month into WWI, the first battle of this French river introduced the horrors of trench warfare

Anyone want to add some other distinguishing factors for the two?

Nice work by Fran in OCTOBER: SPORTS FANS’ HEAVEN getting 4/5 for $4K with Carlos getting the other $2K.

Writers: Even though I’m 2/2 on them that’s enough of the places in Asia for the FJ! round having them sandwich the Big Business from yesterday. A little more variety please.

For today’s clue I was sure the place touched both bodies of water, so done quickly with only four letters to write. Manny’s guess borders only the Persian Gulf and Carlos’s guess borders only the Caspian Sea. Fran’s guess? Well, it is in Asia. :)

Vermonter posted this in 2015 and it’s relevant today: https://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2 ... 09#p177309
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I wasn't sure where the Caspian is so I guessed Saudi Arabia. That proves that "guessing a random country in that part of Asia" is a bad strategy. In the future I'll just leave it blank if I am reduced to a guess.

With just three clues and $1,200 left, I'd have gone really big on that last DD to at least get ahead of Fran or to top her maximum possible score. But when he bet to tie and then the $800 was a stand-and-stare, I had hopes for a tie-breaker. Then when there were two misses on the telephone clue and the beep sounded, I really got excited. I didn't see what I wanted, but Manny's bet made it worth it to keep the $1 club exclusively limited to military men. Not a bad consolation prize for those of us at home.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I wasn't actually sure if Iran bordered the Persian Gulf, but it ended up being my best guess on the FJ clue because of the FJ clue from this game: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1007
PanthersFan1
Contributor

Post by PanthersFan1 »

Bring Back Austin!!!

This Show sucks without him.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

My reasoning was faulty but I got the right answer. I thought Kuwait blocked Iraq's access to the Persian Gulf, so I went with Iran instead. I was hoping for that elusive tiebreaker, but the $1 was funny too.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:36 pm I wasn't sure where the Caspian is so I guessed Saudi Arabia. That proves that "guessing a random country in that part of Asia" is a bad strategy. In the future I'll just leave it blank if I am reduced to a guess.

With just three clues and $1,200 left, I'd have gone really big on that last DD to at least get ahead of Fran or to top her maximum possible score. But when he bet to tie and then the $800 was a stand-and-stare, I had hopes for a tie-breaker. Then when there were two misses on the telephone clue and the beep sounded, I really got excited. I didn't see what I wanted, but Manny's bet made it worth it to keep the $1 club exclusively limited to military men. Not a bad consolation prize for those of us at home.
Gotta give props to Carlos on going big, both on the late DJ clue and the TDD in single. Agreed that final sequence sure made it exciting.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

badgerfellow wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:59 pm Gotta give props to Carlos on going big, both on the late DJ clue and the TDD in single. Agreed that final sequence sure made it exciting.
The first DD was good, the late DJ one was terrible. If he misses he's locked out going into FJ, therefore a TDD is a must. That $2500 he left on the table means a won game instead of going home.

If he was not at all comfortable with the category, am pretty sure a $5 wager would have been acceptable as well and then let FJ settle it.

Given Nepal as an answer, am thinking she should not have been comfortable with the category. If so, a $0 wager would not have been terrible.
Last edited by Golf on Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Ugh, what a mess.

You know, I'm still available to audition.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

PanthersFan1 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:24 pm Bring Back Austin!!!

This Show sucks without him.
I'd take tonight's game over the first three months post-Matt Jackson any day. Though the game itself was a shaky, that was a fun last three minutes or so.

Came up with Kazakhstan in Final.. half right. Got caught thinking too far north. Iran seems way too obvious in hindsight.

I'm a little surprised my Patriots were in the $1600 box when hinted Spygate. I'd have figured with all the hate and media attention we receive most of the time, by this point it would automatically be sports + gate suffix = Patriots. :lol:
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
PanthersFan1
Contributor

Post by PanthersFan1 »

Golf wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:26 pm
badgerfellow wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:59 pm Gotta give props to Carlos on going big, both on the late DJ clue and the TDD in single. Agreed that final sequence sure made it exciting.
The first DD was good, the late DJ one was terrible. If he misses he's locked out going into FJ, therefore a TDD is a must. That $2500 he left on the table means a won game instead of going home.

If he was not at all comfortable with the category, am pretty sure a $5 wager would have been acceptable as well and then let FJ settle it.

Given Nepal as an answer, am thinking she should not have been comfortable with the category. If so, a $0 wager would not have been terrible.
since he missed FJ had he made it a true DD on the 2nd DD All that would had done would had giving the Game to Fran that is if she don't make the usual suicide bet from 2nd.
Last edited by PanthersFan1 on Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Yeah that last DD bet was annoying. You're dead if you get it wrong, go for the lead! I've been saying the tiebreaker is a lie all this time...maybe it's cursed? But we got to see another $1 win, so at least it had an amusing ending.

For FJ I quickly ran through my mental map of Asia and figured it had to be Iran. I thought the Navy guy would get it right but oh well.
Golf wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:26 pm Given Nepal as an answer, am thinking she should not have been comfortable with the category. If so, a $0 wager would not have been terrible.
Tibet. Probably an even worse answer, but at least Nepal is a country.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Well, those spectacular finishes by Carlos and Fran were pretty much the fear of any potential contestant. Hmm, a new type of phone from 1983? What could it be? (I’m guessing Carlos read that as 1883). And Tibet, the “Roof of the World” as bordering any sea? But I think most of us can relate to moments of panic where reason and rationale thought fly right out the window.

What was the point of Manny betting anything on FJ?
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:36 pm
What was the point of Manny betting anything on FJ?
Perhaps he felt comfortable enough with the category to risk most of it? He did get an Asian geography question right 2 games prior.

I'd agree $0 is safer bet there, though.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

PanthersFan1 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:34 pm
Golf wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:26 pm

since he missed FJ had he made it a true DD on the 2nd DD All that would had done would had giving the Game to Fran that is if she don't make the usual suicide bet from 2nd.
Well, I stand by my statement. Extrapolate my assumption about Fran's wager from there... :D

Nepal, Tibet. Climbers can summit Everest from both. But yeah, thanks for the correction. :oops:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I'm surprised Iowa was BMSed to the city. Especially since the clue said nothing about the city. Also, "Iowa City" is only like the 20th most popular city in Iowa.

Weird Al is a "rock" satirist? That almost seems like it should be tagged as erratum. Most of the songs he parodies seem to fall under Top 40/pop.

Dishes are kept in a pantry?

I bit on the "itis" negbait. That was a nasty clue.

That phone clue had a lot of guesses. I would've thought payphone.

Lach Trash: The Amazing Race.

I saw no way to even guess on this FJ!

I smelled the $1 win coming as soon as I noticed the other two were tied.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

I had been tipped off that there would be a $1 winner, as "The Jeopardy! Fan's" live panel last night mentioned a promo that the show aired that mentioned today there would be an occurrence on the show that hadn't been seen in decades, and the consensus of the panelists and online commenters was that said occurrence would be a contestant who wins with $1. Then, J!'s own website confirmed that and spoiled the result today, hours before the game aired in most markets.

When Fran had a big lead, I wondered how we were going to get to the outcome of a $1 winner. But then when Carlos got all that money back, I predicted he would wager to tie her (although why he wouldn't at least wager to go ahead of her by a buck, I have no idea), and since time was running out they would enter FJ tied, and they would both bet it all in FJ and get it wrong, and Manny would wager all but a dollar and be the last player standing. What I didn't expect was that Fran and Carlos would both miss the $400 clue after the DD.

At least they wagered correctly for the Prisoner's Dilemma scenario. And once again, the idea of a tiebreaker clue proves to be just a tease. :D (And regarding Tibet . . . leaving aside its location and landlocked status, I doubt J! would ask a clue, especially an FJ, that depended on the contentious position of recognizing it as a "country.")

Instaget FJ here; I'm one of no doubt a bazillion boardies who won this one from the fourth podium. I did go the wrong way in deciding between the Somme and the Marne earlier in the game.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

threearruda wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:29 pmCame up with Kazakhstan in Final.. half right.
The important thing to remember about Kazakhstan is it's landlocked. It borders the Caspian Sea, but that's an inland body of water. The writers didn't know this in 1996 and cheated Peter Nielsen out of a win. The show never acknowledged this error and never invited him back. Yet subsequently they've had clues that rely on the fact that Kazakhstan is landlocked.