Thursday, October 19, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Thursday, October 19, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:53 pm Justin got away with a couple of odd pronunciations, like "LaFont" for L'Enfant
I heard it that way, too, and was surprised Alex didn't make him repeat it. No way that pronunciation should be accepted.
brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by brick »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:11 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:10 am * Looking it up, I see that The Police also had a guitarist named Andy Summers. So there were TWO correct wrong responses. I now recognize the clue's genius and withdraw my objection.
Yes, this was an ingenius clue, but difficult. I know Sting's real name, but expecting us to weed out Summers and Sumner, leaving only Copeland in a few seconds is a tall order. On second thought, this might be a clue where knowing too much hurts you. Some people might only need to choose between Copeland and Summers due to only knowing Gordon Sumner as Sting, which obviously isn't a last name.

I had zero confidence in my FJ answer of Day-Lewis, but knew he'd won for Lincoln, so stuck with it. I knew he'd won for My Left Foot but totally forgot about There Will Be Blood.
I forgot There Will Be Blood, but mistakenly thought he won for Last of the Mohicans. Being wrong still landed me right, this time.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

I didn't care for the Zero Sum category. Inserting the occasional neg bait clue on a board is one thing, but this entire category was built on the misdirection concept. The players seemed uncomfortable with it, and it wasn't compelling TV.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I liked the zero sum category. Kind of an anti-quotation marks concept. I agree Sting is wrong but I didn't know any other band members.

I got free range but am on the fence on if cage free deserved a BMS or an outright neg.

I can't recall how I pronounced the D.C. designer's name. I don't think I have ever heard his name spoken before.

I got FJ pretty quickly. I accidentally saw "three" when fast forwarding my DVR. But I'll count it even though I had his name before seeing the complete answer. I also could tell you the only other man to win three acting Oscars.

Tom seemed to employ the FJ betting strategy of putting down one dollar more than second place. But he would have won on a TS thanks to third's unnecessary all in wager.
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:33 pm
seaborgium wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:53 pm Justin got away with a couple of odd pronunciations, like "LaFont" for L'Enfant
I heard it that way, too, and was surprised Alex didn't make him repeat it. No way that pronunciation should be accepted.
The nasal n is almost a silent letter, so this doesn't bother me. They're properly loose with personal names and foreign pronunciation. But stricter than me evidently. I didn't hear much of an L in Apennines. Funny too how Justin's Mount Blanc balances Austin's recent Montbatten!
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

davey wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:30 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:33 pm
The nasal n is almost a silent letter, so this doesn't bother me. They're properly loose with personal names and foreign pronunciation. But stricter than me evidently. I didn't hear much of an L in Apennines. Funny too how Justin's Mount Blanc balances Austin's recent Montbatten!
It was a case of what the L is that doing in Apennines.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:25 pm I got FJ pretty quickly. I accidentally saw "three" when fast forwarding my DVR. But I'll count it even though I had his name before seeing the complete answer. I also could tell you the only other man to win three acting Oscars.
I looked it up because I didn't know there was more than just Daniel Day-Lewis. There are two other actors that have won 3 acting Oscars.

Jack Nicholson won with "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", "As Good as it Gets", and "Terms of Endearment".

Walter Brennan won with "Come and Get It", "Kentucky", and "The Westerner".

The first two mentioned for Jack Nicholson were for Best Actor and the other four were all for Best Supporting Actor.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I didn’t know Nicholson had won three. Thanks.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $32,600
41 R/0 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Fenway Park, Buick, alias, Austria-Hungary, Apennines (DD), Mean Streets (DD), Copeland, zenith, spring

I'm surprised at how tough this FJ! seems to have played here. Oscars is a weak spot for me, but it was pretty big news when Day-Lewis became the first man to win Best Actor three times.

Anyone else have Sir Mix-A-Lot to thank for knowing that the Electra 225 was a Buick model?
Sprinkles are for winners.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:25 pm I didn't care for the Zero Sum category. Inserting the occasional neg bait clue on a board is one thing, but this entire category was built on the misdirection concept. The players seemed uncomfortable with it, and it wasn't compelling TV.
That's why this sort of category needs to be a regular occurrence! :D

Maybe next time the category can be NO WAY

THE PART OF A GOLF COURSE WHERE YOU'LL PROBABLY USE A PUTTER
Spoiler
The green
LITTLE MISS MUFFET SAT ON A TUFFET EATING THESE TWO ITEMS
Spoiler
Curds and whey
ONE OF TWO MAJOR AIRPORTS IN CHICAGO
Spoiler
Toronto
AMERICAN NOVELIST AND NOBEL LAUREATE WHO DIED IN THE 1960S
Spoiler
John Steinbeck or William Faulkner
ACTOR WHO PLAYED ROOSTER COGBURN IN TRUE GRIT
Spoiler
Jeff Bridges
DAG HAMMARSKJÖLD'S COUNTRY OF ORIGIN
Spoiler
Sweden
Golf

Post by Golf »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:34 am Maybe next time the category can be NO WAY

Spoiler
The green
Where else would you probably use a putter regardless of negbait?
Spoiler
Jeff Bridges
Spoiler
Marion Morrison
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Golf wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:33 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:34 am Maybe next time the category can be NO WAY

Spoiler
The green
Where else would you probably use a putter regardless of negbait?
Yeah, I knew that one was pretty weak. Attempting to write clues of this sort really increases my admiration for the ZERO SUM category.
Golf wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:33 pm
Spoiler
Jeff Bridges
Spoiler
Marion Morrison
Excellent! We'll give you credit right before the next DD.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I was thinking you could call the category AN”T”I, with the responses not starting with a t, but the negbait would.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:34 am ONE OF TWO MAJOR AIRPORTS IN CHICAGO
Spoiler
Toronto
I don't understand this one. What am I missing?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Foretopman wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:02 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:34 am ONE OF TWO MAJOR AIRPORTS IN CHICAGO
Spoiler
Toronto
I don't understand this one. What am I missing?
Watson's famous FJ goof
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3576
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

Thank you, Volante. I know I saw that game; I wonder why I don't seem to remember any of it.
jkimmitt
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by jkimmitt »

Yep, don't know film after 1970 very well at all, unless it's really niche. I also happen to not enjoy the kinds of films that DDL makes.

Still a fun game, except for that "Zero Sum Game" category. It takes too long to play a category that is all misdirection, and thus the left-behind clue and off-kilter game tempo. Too twee, and I'm not a fan. (The entire Double Jeopardy round was not anywhere close to my happy place, so I fell off a little.)