Tuesday, December 20, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6272, 2011-12-20

Jason Keller game 3.

CONTESTANTS
Doug Davies, an investment consultant from Monrovia, California
Karen Hedlund, a nursing tutor from Brooklyn, New York
Jason Keller, a tutor from Highland Park, New Jersey (whose 2-day cash winnings total $44,800)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hello, everyone and welcome. At the end of last week, an easy victory for Jason. Yesterday, a close call. What will today bring as he defends for the second time? Let's begin the process of finding out, shall we? The Jeopardy! Round comes first, as always. It contains one Daily Double and we'll find it in one of these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CLASSIC NOVELS (4/5)
BROADWAY MUSICAL SETTINGS (5/5)
WORD ORIGINS (4/5)
PROJECT RUNAWAY (5/5)
COLORS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
PAPAL PEOPLE (5/5) (Alex: We'll give you the year; you identify the pope.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jason: 12 R, 2 W
Karen: 9 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Doug: 6 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Karen found the Daily Double on the 15th clue. Jason had $2,800, Karen had $3,200, and Doug was at $800. Karen wagered $1,800.

COLORS $1000: The name of this deep red also means "of prime importance"
(Alex: Karen?)
(Karen: What is crimson?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jason: $2,800
Karen: $1,400
Doug: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Doug Davies is an investment consultant from Monrovia, California, who once walked in the Rose Parade in Pasadena when you were in school.

Doug: That's right.

Alex: Were you in a marching band?

Doug: That's right. My high school band was a multiple state champion and always invited to perform in the Rose Parade. And I was front and center and right behind a quite considerable line of, uh, Clydesdales for the entire 5 miles and--

Alex: And how did that work out for you?

Doug: Well, I started with white shoes and I wound up with something else... entirely. [Speaks indistinctly]

Alex: The shovelers didn't get in quickly enough behind the horses. All right.

Alex: Karen Hedlund, a nursing tutor from Brooklyn, New York, whose family has lived in the same house in Brooklyn...

Karen: For 75 years, Alex.

Alex: Wow.

Karen: In, um, 1934, we were displaced from our previous home to make way for a state courthouse and we used the money to buy a lovely little rooming house, uh, just around the corner two years later, and we're still there today.

Alex: Still there and no danger of being displaced again by development and stuff like that?

Karen: No. We're a landmark now, so we're there to stay.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

Alex: Jason Keller is our champion, and he is not only a good Jeopardy! player, he's also an excellent Scrabble player, I understand. Now when I play Scrabble, I'm happy if I get a word like "time", but, uh, you are among the what?

Jason: Uh, I am among the top 100-ranked players in North America according to the North American Scrabble Players Association.

Alex: And what's the highest score you've ever gotten on one word?

Jason: On one word--actually, during a Facebook game, I played "seltzers" for, uh, 284 points.

Alex: Get out.

[Jason laughs]

Alex: Oh, gee whiz. 200--over 200 points on one word?

Jason: Yep.

Alex: I don't get that in three games.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CLASSIC NOVELS $200: In this novel, Lucy Westenra "went to the window and looked out, but could see nothing, except a big bat"
(Jason: What is A Room With a View?)
(Alex: [In a Transylvanian accent] [*]. I am [*], you are not.)
[Audience laughs]

WORD ORIGINS $1000: This nickname for paper measuring 13 by 16 inches gets its name from an old watermark of a court jester's hat
(Alex: You're too young to have dealt with those, uh, sheets of paper in school.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jason: $6,200
Karen: $3,800
Doug: $2,800

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TOUCHED BY AN ANGEL (5/5)
HAVE A WONDERFUL WEDDING (5/5)
YULE TUBE (4/5)
ZOOM IN FOR A CLOSE-UP (3/5)
MAKING A "LIST" (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CHECKING IT TWICE (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jason: 13 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Doug: 7 R, 1 W
Karen: 6 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jason snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Jason had $7,800, Karen had $4,200, and Doug was at $3,600. Jason wagered $1,600.

MAKING A "LIST" $1600: Adjective for the medical philosophy of treating the entire person, mind & body, not just the part that's ailing

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Karen who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 13th clue. Jason had $14,200, Karen had $5,800, and Doug was at $5,600. Karen wagered $2,500.

CHECKING IT TWICE $800: This constitutional amendment uses the phrase "twice put in jeopardy of life or limb"
(Alex: Well, two good things have just happened--you have found the Daily Double, and you have prevented our champion from finding it.)
(Karen: What is the Sixth Amendment?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
YULE TUBE $1200: A dog mishears a Christmas lyric:
"____, the Other Reindeer"

ZOOM IN FOR A CLOSE-UP $800: First there was one big county, then Norfolk split off in 1793, leaving this county
(Alex: Not Norfolk, but [*], north and south.)

ZOOM IN FOR A CLOSE-UP $2000: In the garden is this American, but not Massachusetts-born, hero on horseback, ready for his close-up
(Jason: Who is Revere?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jason: $22,600 (lock game)
Doug: $7,600
Karen: $6,100

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
POETS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; three-quarters for second place.
Jason: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $7,399 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Doug: Wager $4,601 to cover Karen.
Karen: Risk between $1,501 and $3,100, covering Doug's $0 bet.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
While north of his homeland he was inspired to write perhaps his greatest work, "Alturas de Macchu Picchu"

FINAL SCORES
Karen: $6,100 - $0 = $6,100 (Who is Borges?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Doug: $7,600 + $4,601 = $12,201 (Who was Neruda?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Jason: $22,600 + $2,400 = $25,000 (Who is Neruda?) (3-day champion: $69,800)
(Alex: Jason wrote down his response before the music started, so I bet he got it right.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $5,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jason: $22,600, 25 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Karen: $10,400, 15 R, 3 W (including 2 DDs)
Doug: $7,600, 13 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $40,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Jason: 26/59 = .441
Karen: 15/60 = .250
Doug: 14/58 = .241
Team: 55/63 = .873

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
COLORS $800: This secondary color is in the third line of "America The Beautiful"
(Doug: What is amber?)

PROJECT RUNAWAY $200: Improvement of the "mixing bowl" interchange in this state near D.C. met its budget of $676 mil.--revised from $350 million
(Jason: What is Maryland?)
(Alex: He kinda narrowed it down for you.)
(Karen: [Looks at Jason] Thank you!)
[Laughter]

PROJECT RUNAWAY $1000: L.A. spent about $600 million to turn the Ambassador Hotel into a K-12 school complex named for this late politician
(Alex: [*], who was assassinated there, yes.)

PAPAL PEOPLE $400: 1914:
XV
(Alex: Right, we didn't catch you!)

ZOOM IN FOR A CLOSE-UP $400: To start off, you're getting an aerial view of this state

ZOOM IN FOR A CLOSE-UP $1200: This river winds through the county until it reaches Boston Harbor

ZOOM IN FOR A CLOSE-UP $1600: Just south of the river and west of Boston Common is the area called this Garden, for all people to enjoy
(Doug: What's the Common Garden?)
(Karen: What is Boston Commons?)
(Alex: With less than a minute to go.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
cardinal
Dracula
foolscap
holistic
the Fifth Amendment
Olive
Suffolk
George Washington
Pablo Neruda
purple
Virginia
Robert F. Kennedy
Benedict
Massachusetts
the Charles River
Public

Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Re: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

3-day champion, who the hell would believe it. Right now he's right behind Francis in the Tournament standings, which as a Highland Parker, is a shock. I missed final, my strength in poets are mainly Over The Ponds, got some weak parts in South American ones.

I'm hoping wholeheartedly that Jason wins tomorrow.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013

lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by lisa0012 »

Was very happy for Jason today. Nice job fending off a good challenger.

I am generally weak in poets, but I was a Spanish minor so this ended up falling right into my wheelhouse.

ej!fan
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by ej!fan »

Why I knew FJ
I am familiar with the works of Pablo Neruda -- Bart Simpson

DBear

Post by DBear »

non-Anglophone poets are definitely a weak spot, having took Brit Lit instead of World Lit. Never heard of foolscap being a paper size.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

IIRC, the size given for foolscap was 13" x 16"? We never used paper that size, but the (particular) paper we used in elementary school was always called foolscap. It was, if I remember correctly, not as wide as letter/legal and longer than letter, but shorter than legal.

Anybody else have similar memories?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

I never heard it called anything but "big paper" and all I knew about it was, I wanted it. :) And crayons/ colored pencils. Lots.

Déjà vu on FJ today: like yesterday, knew exactly what they wanted, it was a name I knew, but could I dig it up? Finally hit it by running common spanish first names through my head quickly ...Juan, Jose, Miguel, Jesus, Pablo... Pablo! Neruda! Still had many notes left.

ClammyJim
Contributor

Post by ClammyJim »

Hello, JBoard. I posted on the old board probably 40 times, and I finally decided to register here.

Anyway, I only got Final Jeopardy because of an episode of the PBS children's show Arthur in which a character finds himself in a dream world where it is against the law to not rhyme while speaking because he couldn't write a poem for his mother.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Swedenborg and foolscap had me doing a: Who? What? The wheres were better for me in Broadway Musical Settings.

That was nice of Alex to give Jason props by acknowledging that he wrote down his FJ response before the music began. Jason had the look of someone pleased to have an instaget. Of course he has had that look since moment one of fulfilling his dream.

Classic Novels is the one for future players to take note of everything in the clues/responses even though it went through the SHC Valuator as Dracula played harder for $200 than the Cather work spotted half for $800.

I'm glad Cardinal in the Colors DD was not a clue for FJ as I never would have figured that one out. South of Peru = Chile and poet from there = Neruda was much easier.

thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

Did anyone else think "bodacious" was way overvalued given the information provided? It sounded like a borderline "stupid answers" clue, IMHO.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote:I'm glad Cardinal in the Colors DD was not a clue for FJ as I never would have figured that one out.
I got it through a weird thought process. My immediate reactions on the description of the color were maroon and crimson, which I knew weren't correct. From crimson I thought of the Crimson Tide, said to myself, "There's another college nickname with a red word," and got to Stanford Cardinal. Even though the other definition in the clue struck me funny, I knew cardinal had an adjectival, non-colorful meaning, and that definition was close enough to my ineffable gut feeling about what it meant. (Do you ever know what a word means, but can't define it to someone who asks?)

I briefly got confused in FJ, confusing Macchu Pichu with Chichen Itza and thinking that a poet north of his homeland would be reminiscing on it from afar. So I was trying to think of a Mexican poet in the U.S. when I realized Macchu Pichu was in Peru. Then I tried to think of Peruvian poets, but all I could come up with was Pablo Neruda, who I was pretty sure was Chilean. Then I realized a Chilean poet north of his homeland could be in Peru! I still had my doubts because I mentally turned South America into a rectangle with Chile at the far, lower left and Peru at the top, left of center (yes, I mistakenly put it alongside Colombia). But I had nothing better, and I granted that Peru is at a more northerly latitude than Chile.

billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

I knew 'bodacious' right away- but I don't think of it as meaning "gutsy". More like describing Sue Ellen MIschke.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.

Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

billy pilgrim wrote:I knew 'bodacious' right away- but I don't think of it as meaning "gutsy". More like describing Sue Ellen MIschke.
I didn't like that clue at all. I was laughing when I answered, because its a dead giveaway, and not something I'd give for $600.
Adam Seth Moss

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

ClammyJim wrote:... an episode of the PBS children's show Arthur ...
Is that anything like the PBS hit comedy The Red Green Show?

My cousin did a voice on Arthur, so I am pretty sure it's Canadian. And, imagine my surprise when I picked up the DVD of a show produced less than a kilometre (kill-AW-mitt-er) from my back fence, only to find emblazoned across the front cover: the PBS hit comedy!

But, I was much more traumatized to discover (only recently) that neither Mr. Dressup nor The Friendly Giant were Canadian. So, I guess anything's possible.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

bpmod wrote:
ClammyJim wrote:... an episode of the PBS children's show Arthur ...
Is that anything like the PBS hit comedy The Red Green Show?

My cousin did a voice on Arthur, so I am pretty sure it's Canadian. And, imagine my surprise when I picked up the DVD of a show produced less than a kilometre (kill-AW-mitt-er) from my back fence, only to find emblazoned across the front cover: the PBS hit comedy!

But, I was much more traumatized to discover (only recently) that neither Mr. Dressup nor The Friendly Giant were Canadian. So, I guess anything's possible.

Brian
Arthur, like many shows on PBS Kids, is produced in Canada (considering The Cookie Jar Group is).
Adam Seth Moss

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Roadgeek Adam wrote:Arthur, like many shows on PBS Kids, is produced in Canada (considering The Cookie Jar Group is).
Yeah... I see...

I just looked it up. I didn't realize it was still in production (my cousin voiced Timmy Tibble for five years). I also didn't realize that it was produced for PBS (as opposed to PBS picking it up after the fact, as is the case with Red Green).

My world just gets meaner and meaner. :cry:

Brian

andreaborn
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by andreaborn »

billy pilgrim wrote:I knew 'bodacious' right away- but I don't think of it as meaning "gutsy". More like describing Sue Ellen MIschke.
OK, I just had a very odd brain connection which I had no idea existed. Sue Ellen Mischke -- is that the one who slept with Casey on Sports Night? No, she's Seinfeld. ::google:: Yes, Seinfeld -- but she sure looks like the one on Sports NIght. ::more google-fu:: OK, the Seinfeld actress is Brenda Strong. ::imdb.com:: Ah, Desperate Housewives, other stuff I've never watched... Sports Night, Sally Sasser!

And they were pretty much the same character, weren't they?

eureka
Valued Contributor

Post by eureka »

In school I always heard it as " Pull out a full scrap piece of paper." Totally confused when I saw it written down as foolscap. I didn't care enough to find out what the deal was.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Both foolscap and cardinal were ones I got at the very last second due to distant memories as a kid (mine are similar to Paucle's. One of the coloured pencils I remembered: ... cardinal.)
ClammyJim wrote:Anyway, I only got Final Jeopardy because of an episode of the PBS children's show Arthur in which a character finds himself in a dream world where it is against the law to not rhyme while speaking because he couldn't write a poem for his mother.
And what rhymes with Pablo Neruda? (Not really seeing how it works in to FJ, other than both Pablo and Arthur are poets (of sorts).)
bpmod wrote:But, I was much more traumatized to discover (only recently) that neither Mr. Dressup nor The Friendly Giant were Canadian. So, I guess anything's possible.
WHAT???? :o :shock: :o I knew that Mr. Dressup wasn't Canadian, but I would have made it a True Daily Double that Mr. Dressup was (not to mention The Friendly Giant). Were these American/PBS produced for Canadians? (Why the hell didn't they pick them up down there too? We would have shared, and your country would have worked out a lot better over the last few decades if you only knew what a Tickle Trunk was ... )
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012