Tuesday, December 20, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

billy pilgrim
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by billy pilgrim »

dhkendall wrote: And what rhymes with Pablo Neruda?
Judy Tenuda
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
ClammyJim
Contributor

Post by ClammyJim »

dhkendall wrote:And what rhymes with Pablo Neruda?
I guess I left out the most important part in my explanation. After the character defeats the evil Purple Orange, he's presented with a mounted barracuda, caught by the town's founder, Pablo Neruda.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

billy pilgrim wrote:
Judy Tenuda
Ah, yes, the accordion ...
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:WHAT???? :o :shock: :o I knew that Mr. Dressup wasn't Canadian, but I would have made it a True Daily Double that Mr. Dressup was (not to mention The Friendly Giant). Were these American/PBS produced for Canadians? (Why the hell didn't they pick them up down there too? We would have shared, and your country would have worked out a lot better over the last few decades if you only knew what a Tickle Trunk was ... )
Sorry. The shows (both of them) were Canadian. The actors were not. I should not have italicized either.

Oh, and is that the biggest font you can make? :mrgreen:

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

When I saw FJ I went into brain lock and kept telling my wife, "OH, OH, I KNOW this one! D'oh! (dope slap)...when I see the reveal I know I'm going to recognize it...ooh, is it Garcia Lorca...no! (another dope slap).

And of course by this time her eyes are rolling...so, Mr. Jeopardy Genius is stumped?

Somewhere beyond 25 seconds, with just enough time to write it down, I shouted out Pablo Neruda's name, and order was restored in the cosmos.

Many congrats to a champ who seems to be getting stronger as the games go on, despite dodging a bullet in his 2nd.

Isn't Jason the guy who tried for 16 years to get on the show? Maybe they'll give me my shot yet.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

eureka wrote:In school I always heard it as " Pull out a full scrap piece of paper." .
*Explosion* of memories! Seriously, grade school art class images hit me like a mental DVD just now!

OMG, now I remember hearing that! And I got the same "phrase" out of foolscap! I think I finally have one for the Ken Jennings forum topic, Oh, NOW I get it!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

DBear wrote:non-Anglophone poets are definitely a weak spot, having took Brit Lit instead of World Lit. Never heard of foolscap being a paper size.
Here's how I knew what a foolscap was: Harlan Ellison arguing with Tycho and Gabe of Penny Arcade

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2005/09/26
http://harlanellison.com/heboard/archive/uncapa.htm

It was also pitched as the first episode of the series, "When Egos Collide" (on FOX)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

I foolishly said Paz for FJ, forgetting both that he was from Mexico and that Neruda existed.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

billy pilgrim wrote:
Judy Tenuda
Bermuda
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Palin. Er, I mean, barracuda.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Buddha.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

John Boy wrote:When I saw FJ I went into brain lock and kept telling my wife, "OH, OH, I KNOW this one! D'oh! (dope slap)...when I see the reveal I know I'm going to recognize it...ooh, is it Garcia Lorca...no! (another dope slap).
Same here, I knew "that Chilean poet" wasn't going to cut it. :oops:

And anyone else a bit surprised by (I forget his name, in the third podium)'s height? I'm guessing that he was level with the ground and the others were as high on the risers as they could get, and his height was still apparent! The only other time I recall seeing that visible of a height discrepancy was when Kareem Abdul-Jabar was on.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

dhkendall wrote:
John Boy wrote:When I saw FJ I went into brain lock and kept telling my wife, "OH, OH, I KNOW this one! D'oh! (dope slap)...when I see the reveal I know I'm going to recognize it...ooh, is it Garcia Lorca...no! (another dope slap).
Same here, I knew "that Chilean poet" wasn't going to cut it. :oops:

And anyone else a bit surprised by (I forget his name, in the third podium)'s height? I'm guessing that he was level with the ground and the others were as high on the risers as they could get, and his height was still apparent! The only other time I recall seeing that visible of a height discrepancy was when Kareem Abdul-Jabar was on.
Doug Davies ;)
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

FJ was easy for me. I've never heard of him before, so nothing was going to get me there.
Tehshigelisok
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by Tehshigelisok »

I was completely lost on Joseph Smith being at $400. Is this really a name I should know forward and backward?

Or Neruda for that matter?

Ran the Christmas specials. Surprised no one even thought to guess on Olive the Other Reindeer.
Really, I'm TenPoundHammer. Same as always.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

for Mormon names, if it isn't Brigham Young, its Joesph Smith. He comes up a good bit, so he's someone to be on your Pavlov religous leader study guide. Saw angels, moved to Illinois and was killed.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

dhkendall wrote:And anyone else a bit surprised by (I forget his name, in the third podium)'s height? I'm guessing that he was level with the ground and the others were as high on the risers as they could get, and his height was still apparent! The only other time I recall seeing that visible of a height discrepancy was when Kareem Abdul-Jabar was on.
Glad I'm not the only one who got a Kareem vibe there. I'm 6'4", and that dude was scary :mrgreen:
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Tehshigelisok wrote:I was completely lost on Joseph Smith being at $400. Is this really a name I should know forward and backward?

Or Neruda for that matter?

Ran the Christmas specials. Surprised no one even thought to guess on Olive the Other Reindeer.
Yes, Tehs, you should know both of these names. There aren't many South American authors that would be asked for (can anyone add to Borges, Neruda, Vargas Llosa, and Garcia Marquez?), but they will ask, obviously, and a broad knowledge of literature will include Latino writers. As for Joseph Smith, Mormonism IS one of the major religions of this country, whether it be considered Christian or not, and he WAS the founder of that religion, flaky as his claims might be and strange his history.

Now--is Olive the Other Reindeer something I should know about? Cuz...

ah, geez...did I really just fall into that? Are we really going to do this again?
Last edited by bomtr on Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

xxaaaxx wrote:
dhkendall wrote:And anyone else a bit surprised by (I forget his name, in the third podium)'s height? I'm guessing that he was level with the ground and the others were as high on the risers as they could get, and his height was still apparent! The only other time I recall seeing that visible of a height discrepancy was when Kareem Abdul-Jabar was on.
Glad I'm not the only one who got a Kareem vibe there. I'm 6'4", and that dude was scary :mrgreen:
Maybe it's only tall people who got that vibe (I'm 6'3"), which would be odd ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

bomtr wrote:There aren't many South American authors that would be asked for (can anyone add to Borges, Neruda, Vargas Llosa, and Garcia Marquez?)
Isabel Allende, Manuel Puig, Gabriela Mistral