Wednesday, October 25, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:58 am
dinghammer wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:23 am
Judges: train driver? The word "engineer" just wasn't coming to me.
I think they would HAVE to take train driver, even though it sounds like an answer from Google translate. I even think they'd have to consider "conductor", because it obviously points to Casey Jones and it shouldn't be a train geekdom question. Unlike
Spoiler
cowcatcher
"Train driver" is apparently the preferred term in England-
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-32758223

I'm not sure what's so obscure about what you put in the spoiler, either. I think I've known that word all my life. I think it may be in The Little Engine That Could.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

davey wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:22 am I'm not sure what's so obscure about what you put in the spoiler, either. I think I've known that word all my life. I think it may be in The Little Engine That Could.
Same. I thought that was a commonly known term, but perhaps I'm wrong.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

harrumph wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:53 am Is
Spoiler
highbrow
going to outpoll engineer?
I thought that this one was easier than Tuesday's, or at least to come up with a reasonable guess. There haven't been that many famous Caseys - and I wondered if the fictional Casey at the Bat was based on a real Casey - so it was a bit of a guess as to whether they meant Casey Jones.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:43 amI thought that this one was easier than Tuesday's, or at least to come up with a reasonable guess. There haven't been that many famous Caseys - and I wondered if the fictional Casey at the Bat was based on a real Casey - so it was a bit of a guess as to whether they meant Casey Jones.
I considered Casey at the Bat but rejected him since I don't think we know his occupation. Presumably, playing for a local podunk team in 1888 didn't pay the bills.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:16 am Additionally, one thing that I would be able to do on my old radios, is if I tuned my radio all the way down to the very bottom of the FM dial, I'd be able to pick up the audio of TV's Channel 6. From there, it's easy to remember that both FM radio and TV channels 2-13 are on nearby frequency spectrums.
ISTR reading about this, and why in so many areas Channel 6 is not used OTA for that specific reason. I figured VHF was lower frequency than UHF as AM is lower than FM. TIL!
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:38 am I don't think there's any way they'd take conducter unless there was some kind of proof Casey Jones was one at some point.
The Other Wiki points to Jones working as a brakeman, a fireman, and an engineer. No mention of conductor.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

Very briefly considered both the railsplitter and distiller angles, but quickly settled on the right answer. Spent most of the time making sure I knew that it was the occupation they were looking for and not something else.
Got FM by figuring that FM radio is newer than AM radio and that UHF television is newer than VHF television (being "of a certain age" helps with both of these :) ).
On the other hand the music category skunked me. There was only one of those that I even had a guess on. :oops:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I've heard classical guitar in so many other genres that it didn't click as "Spanish" to me at all. I also think that using only the sound and nothing else as a TOM is dirty.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

And of course, Nan has done very well to get to three wins but her "Archbishop of ... the World?" response had to be one of the unintentionally funniest in a long while. Given the clue, I'm not sure how one gets to "Archbishop of" without landing on "Canterbury" but then again, I guess that's the whole point of drawing a blank. :shock:
irene
Valued Contributor

Post by irene »

My husband and I are both big fans of Nan; does that make us "Nan fans"?
It must be nice to have a persona that reaches through a TV and grabs people.
I guess that is what we call "charisma".

Hubbie got Casey Jones, but we realized too late the clue was asking for occupation, not nick name.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

NoWhammies10 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:01 pm ISTR reading about this, and why in so many areas Channel 6 is not used OTA for that specific reason. I figured VHF was lower frequency than UHF as AM is lower than FM. TIL!
Huh? VHF does use lower frequencies than UHF, just as AM uses lower frequencies than FM.
sims
Valued Contributor

Post by sims »

coryat: 31,600
40/2

DD1:N, DD2:Y, DD3:N, FJ: Y

LT: Scottish, FM, Presbyterian, Spruce

I ran Protestantism and Jelly Belly.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

davey wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:22 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:58 am
dinghammer wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:23 am
Judges: train driver? The word "engineer" just wasn't coming to me.
I think they would HAVE to take train driver, even though it sounds like an answer from Google translate. I even think they'd have to consider "conductor", because it obviously points to Casey Jones and it shouldn't be a train geekdom question. Unlike
Spoiler
cowcatcher
"Train driver" is apparently the preferred term in England-
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-32758223
If Susie Dent says it, that's good enough for me. Thanks, you two.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

alietr wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:58 pm
NoWhammies10 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:01 pm ISTR reading about this, and why in so many areas Channel 6 is not used OTA for that specific reason. I figured VHF was lower frequency than UHF as AM is lower than FM. TIL!
Huh? VHF does use lower frequencies than UHF, just as AM uses lower frequencies than FM.
Right, which is why I went with AM and not FM on the clue.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

dhkendall wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:23 amI'll bet trainman not only ran the TV Guide category, but probably has that edition somewhere.
You associate this with me, and you don't wonder how few milliseconds it took me to get FJ!?

Although I do have a bunch of issues from 1998, I don't have the November 14 issue in my collection.
NoWhammies10 wrote:ISTR reading about this, and why in so many areas Channel 6 is not used OTA for that specific reason.
Everything's different now with digital TV, but back in the analog days, Channel 6s were just as common in the U.S. as any other VHF TV station -- the fact that the Channel 6 frequency band happens to butt right up against the FM radio band really didn't matter at all (except that areas with a Channel 6 might not have also been assigned an FM station at 88.1).
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

Wheatley wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:46 pm I was convinced that FJ was about Casey from the poem "Mighty Casey at bat." My mom thought it was Casey Stengel. We were so damn sure that "baseball" had to be right.
I fell into this thought-vortex as well, and guessed "baseball player", and have never heard enough about Casey Jones to have second-guessed that… guess. :lol:
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

goatman wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:58 pm Guessed Railsplitter. Did not make the leap to "Casey" for pronouncing this previously unknown to me place name; "CASE." Doh... :x

PS Agree w/above that Nan is a sweetie! :)
I see a lot of people went the wrong way on this one, although at the time I thought "how could anyone NOT see Casey Jones in this clue?"

Casey Stengel, Casey Affleck, Edgar Cayce, on and on. My mind went straight to Jones and never looked back. I think I'm lucky I didn't entertain any of these options.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

28 right.

TV Guide (4), Fairy (3), Jelly (3), Geography (3), Proverb (3), First/Last (1)
Parks (1), Radio (2), Protestant (2), History (2), "PIN" (1), Needles (3)

Lach Trash: Westwood One, Rockies; Daily Double: Archbishop of Canterbury

Other than Colonel Sanders, I had no idea for FJ.