Wednesday, October 25, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin »

Pre-called X-Files in the TV Guide category. Also pre-called Ally McBeal which didn't show up.
MDCSWildcats86
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

OSXpert wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:30 pm For some reason my mind jumped to Casey Kasem so I said Disc Jockey. Not as good of a fit for Americana as Casey Jones though I suppose, and they already had the DJ scratching clue so not a great guess.
Casey Kasem was born in Detroit, and his real name was Kernal Amin Kasem.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I thought I'd read something at some point about someone who had gotten the name Casey from a place called Cayce or Cayce City, but I couldn't recall any particulars upon reading the clue. However, asking for the job of someone implied to have been called Casey in the category AMERICANA pointed me strongly to train engineer Jones.

We finally have a second $1 cover wager by first place this month.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

My wild FJ guess was Musician, as in "K. C. and the Sunshine Band".
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

chmmr wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:27 pm What was the correct answer on the Jelly Belly clue about the fruit bowl mix? I looked up blueberry but i thought that got negged?
It was acai.

I briefly considered both Edgar Cayce and Casey Kasem before I remembered that Casey Jones was a Kentuckian.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:05 pm Disney’s The Brave Engineer seems the likely place I first learned about Casey Jones. The dots were there to be connected in the FJ! clue while in 2017 I can understand that even being spotted “Cayce” to “Casey” may not be enough.
You'd have to be high on cocaine to make that link
Spoiler
I feel compelled to point out that's a reference...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I focused on Kentucky rather than Cayce and all I could come up with was distiller.

Tonight's LL tie-in: Yoho National Park appeared in the British Columbia One Day earlier this week.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I guess Edgar wasn't named for Edgar Cayce.
I'm smart and I want respect.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Contestants saving the Canada category to the end and treating it like it's castor oil makes dhkendall something something. :evil:

I'll bet trainman not only ran the TV Guide category, but probably has that edition somewhere.
PROTESTANTISM $800 wrote:Early Protestantism reduced these from 7 to only 2, one of them being baptism
Judges: "Rites" for "sacraments"?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I can get
Spoiler
highbrow
but I can't get this? :roll:
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

dhkendall wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:23 am Judges: "Rites" for "sacraments"?
Nope.
davey

Post by davey »

Category 13 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:08 pm
I thought I heard Edgar say "the blood of an englishman". That's more than four words. At least it didn't have any bearing on the outcome.
He did. It irritates me too when players do that, but he was repeating "the" from the clue, and J! will never neg someone for doing that.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This folk music guitar picker had no problem with Casey Jones "leaning on the throttle". I did not know the name place story, and pondered Casey at the bat in the think time. Maybe we can do the Wabash Cannonball next...

There were moments when Nan gave me an Austin Rogers vibe with her straight ahead answers through some really obscure stuff. She seems to have crammed for the trap categories in the fine arts. I usually don't watch the screen unless I need to read the closed caption to make out a word - did Edgar leave for a bathroom break in DJ? I don't think I heard him for 12-15 clues at one point. Joking - kind of.
The missus and I were so happy that Mary Grace got out of the deep hole from her wild guesses. I think the frog response was gifted to her out of sympathy.

We keep bees, but I never would expect a foodie writer to talk to us.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I ran the Proverbs category

I saw no way to figure out "Spain" at all in Musical for $200. What was the TOM there?

Acai was my only miss in Jelly Belly. I'm just no good at alphabetically first. "Well, the first berry superfruit I can think of is Goji. No, blueberry. No, blackberry. That must be right if blueberry's wrong, no berry begins with A."

Philip = Macedonia rings no bells, nor did any of those other names. I didn't know Gulliver HAD a first name.

Any reason I should know that Protestant dates from the 16th century and not any other?

Rodent + Canada and you guess "raccoon"? Dafuq?

Americana is a category that I keep thinking is a wheelhouse, but everytime it comes up, it totally stumps me. I had no idea where to even start on this one. Saying "Casey" / "K.C." over and over got me absolutely nowhere.
davey

Post by davey »

Wheatley wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:46 pm
Ran "Jelly Belly", and will have run "Proverbs" depending on this ruling question - would you accept "Ownership is ten points of the law?"
No. I assume you meant to write Ownership is nine points of the law...?
1) There are 0 hits for either phrase in Google.
2) They miss the point of the saying. Possession tends to prove ownership, but is not definitive.
davey

Post by davey »

cf1140 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:45 pm whoa. Major negbait with "Cayce." Because of the spelling I thought of Edgar Cayce and then was trying to name his occupation -- uh, Predictor? Nostradomus? Soothsayer? I settled on "healer."
I thought of Edgar Cayce too, but the clue referred to a nickname, not a surname....
My problem with the clue - I wasn't sure I knew how to refer to his job. Mixing him up a bit with John Henry, I was thinking he was a stoker. But I ended up with "railroad engineer," which seems to be what they were expecting. I'd say "railroad man" is better than Nan's "engineer"...
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

DBear wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:45 am I can get
Spoiler
highbrow
but I can't get this? :roll:
I feel the same way. For some reason it never struck me they were looking for someone whose nickname was Casey. Derp.
davey

Post by davey »

dhkendall wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:23 am
PROTESTANTISM $800 wrote:Early Protestantism reduced these from 7 to only 2, one of them being baptism
Judges: "Rites" for "sacraments"?
Although they were united in their rejection of Roman Catholic teaching, the 16th-century Reformers were divided in their interpretation of the sacraments. In place of the sacramental system of the Roman Catholic church, the Reformers proposed a system that limited sacramental teaching to those acts clearly commanded by Christ in the Scriptures. Most Protestants also agreed on the fundamental definition of a sacrament as an act, established by God and instituted by Christ, that imparted grace and the new life and that combined the Word of God and some visible means (like bread, wine, and water). Therefore, five of the seven Roman Catholic sacraments failed to meet this definition: marriage, ordination, confirmation, penance (now called repentance), and extreme unction (now called anointing of the sick). Although Protestants did not abolish all these rites, their churches did deny that all were sacraments.
https://www.britannica.com/topic/The-Pr ... ge-1354359
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:09 am I saw no way to figure out "Spain" at all in Musical for $200. What was the TOM there?
I think solo classical guitar tends to be a Spanish thing, and solo classical guitar is what the audio was.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:09 am Any reason I should know that Protestant dates from the 16th century and not any other?
Martin Luther did his thing in the 1500s; it seemed like the right time frame for throwing out a guess on a top-row clue.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

dhkendall wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:23 am Contestants saving the Canada category to the end and treating it like it's castor oil makes dhkendall something something. :evil:
Go crazy?

I could barely hear the music in that category, so I didn't get Spain either.

Judges: train driver? The word "engineer" just wasn't coming to me.