Wednesday, October 25, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Category 13 »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
DBear wrote: I can get
Spoiler
highbrow
but I can't get this? :roll:
I feel the same way. For some reason it never struck me they were looking for someone whose nickname was Casey. Derp.
Same here. Thirty seconds gone and I had nothin'. I would have never come up with that part of it anyway.
I felt the clue was too busy/overly instructive, or whatever. I had to keep reminding myself they were asking for the occupation while trying to think of the nickname.
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

There are two famous Spanish classical guitarists, I forget their names, but I have the "nokia ringtone" song [Gran Vals] as my alarm clock.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $23,400
39 R/4 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Scottish Symphony, FM, Archbishop of Canterbury (DD), Rockies, beaver (DD)

The difference in difficulty for this FJ! between actually hearing Alex read the clue and simply reading it in print is off the charts. No way I ever would have pronounced that town's name as "kay-see" on my own.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

It did not occur to me that he got his name from the town. I thought his job gave him the nickname. Although I didn't think Lincoln lived in Kentucky once his family moved to Indiana, I guessed railsplitter,
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Is
Spoiler
highbrow
going to outpoll engineer?
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:47 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:09 am I saw no way to figure out "Spain" at all in Musical for $200. What was the TOM there?
I think solo classical guitar tends to be a Spanish thing, and solo classical guitar is what the audio was.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:09 am Any reason I should know that Protestant dates from the 16th century and not any other?
Martin Luther did his thing in the 1500s; it seemed like the right time frame for throwing out a guess on a top-row clue.
2017 is also the 500th anniversary of the Reformation. 21st century - 5 = 16th century.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Coryat: $29,200
DDs: 2/3
FJ!: :(

Ran Jelly Belly Flavours, (what we saw of) Canadian National Parks. 4/5 in Fairy Tales, Geography, Proverbially Speaking, Protestantism.

Lost the coin toss on AM/FM in Radio. Too many American radio things that aren't in the wheelhouse simply because they aren't broadcast here.

Missed out on $3,600 from the two non-revealed clues in Canadian Nat'l Parks.

Had no idea on FJ!, got damn close with a random guess of "train conductor". Not close enough for horseshoes, I'm afraid.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I played FJ off the Clue of the Day, and read Cayce to be pronounced as “ Case”, which gave me no chance at the answer.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

NoWhammies10 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:05 am Lost the coin toss on AM/FM in Radio.
You're probably a shade too young for this, but here's how I knew it was FM:

On over-the-air television, channels 2-13 are known as VHF channels; 14 and above were the UHF channels.

Additionally, one thing that I would be able to do on my old radios, is if I tuned my radio all the way down to the very bottom of the FM dial, I'd be able to pick up the audio of TV's Channel 6. From there, it's easy to remember that both FM radio and TV channels 2-13 are on nearby frequency spectrums.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

chmmr wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:05 am There are two famous Spanish classical guitarists
Yeah, but enough about Charo.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:16 am
NoWhammies10 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:05 am Lost the coin toss on AM/FM in Radio.

On over-the-air television, channels 2-13 are known as VHF channels; 14 and above were the UHF channels.

Additionally, one thing that I would be able to do on my old radios, is if I tuned my radio all the way down to the very bottom of the FM dial, I'd be able to pick up the audio of TV's Channel 6. From there, it's easy to remember that both FM radio and TV channels 2-13 are on nearby frequency spectrums.
That was a pretty esoteric way to parse this marktiple choice, congrats if you were able to do it in real time. I clammed on it and would have missed with my own reasoning. My SWAG would be based on thinking UHF must be higher frequency than VHF (Ultra > Very?), and high frequency gives more bandwidth so if I've gotta modulate it, I want it higher. There were no FM radios when I growed up, lol.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

chmmr wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:05 am There are two famous Spanish classical guitarists, I forget their names, but I have the "nokia ringtone" song [Gran Vals] as my alarm clock.
Narciso Yepes and Andres Segovia are the two that come immediately to my mind. There's also Carlos Bonell who is English but of Spanish descent.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

dinghammer wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:23 am
dhkendall wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:23 am Contestants saving the Canada category to the end and treating it like it's castor oil makes dhkendall something something. :evil:
Go crazy?
Don’t mind if I do!

Btw: another thing that makes dhkendall something something is having to go back and add spoiler tags, had to do that to two posts that inadvertently referenced yesterday’s FJ as a comparison. Mind your Ps and Qs people.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
davey

Post by davey »

Didn't the clue say something about higher frequency? I reasoned that higher frequency = the better quality of FM.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

dinghammer wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:23 am
Judges: train driver? The word "engineer" just wasn't coming to me.
I think they would HAVE to take train driver, even though it sounds like an answer from Google translate. I even think they'd have to consider "conductor", because it obviously points to Casey Jones and it shouldn't be a train geekdom question. Unlike
Spoiler
cowcatcher
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

dhkendall wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:52 am Btw: another thing that makes dhkendall something something is having to go back and add spoiler tags, had to do that to two posts that inadvertently referenced yesterday’s FJ as a comparison. Mind your Ps and Qs people.
There are also two posts that quote the first offending post from DBear.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

davey wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:52 am

Didn't the clue say something about higher frequency? I reasoned that higher frequency = the better quality of FM.
The better quality is really due to the user of frequency modulation versus amplitude modulation, not the wavelength and assuming by "better quality" you mean higher signal-to-noise ratio.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:15 pm This is specifically why I included the pronunciation in my game page on TJF tonight, because the pronunciation is so critical to the TOM.
This Deadhead was not going to miss that FJ, but I did rely heavily on Alex's pronunciation. I may have gotten there without it, but it made it an instaget (with a little bit of second thoughts about baseball player that I quickly dismissed).

davey wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:52 am Didn't the clue say something about higher frequency? I reasoned that higher frequency = the better quality of FM.
No. It's Very High Frequency. No 'er' in there.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:58 am I even think they'd have to consider "conductor", because it obviously points to Casey Jones and it shouldn't be a train geekdom question.
I don't think there's any way they'd take conducter unless there was some kind of proof Casey Jones was one at some point. If there was a question about Sully Sullenberger's occupation do you think "flight attendant" would cut it?

I also wanted to say "My name's Ivor and I'm an engine driver."
davey

Post by davey »

alietr wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:35 am
davey wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:52 am Didn't the clue say something about higher frequency? I reasoned that higher frequency = the better quality of FM.
No. It's Very High Frequency. No 'er' in there.
Well, there's an er in Very... :roll:
Without the wording of the clue I'm not sure what I was thinking but it made sense at the time...