Thursday, October 26, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

squarekara
J! Reactionary

Re: Thursday, October 26, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by squarekara »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:47 pm
squarekara wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:49 pm Biting, gouging, and the thousand-yard stare! THAT'S what's been missing this whole time.
Time for a behind-the-scenes show called "The Real Contestants of Jeopardy!"?
Or a searing musical drama about the senseless antagonism between "Jeopardy!" and "Wheel of Fortune" contestants. "When you're Trebek, you're Trebek all the way. . ."
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

PhilKohn wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:09 pm
I'm wondering if I was included in an unusual group, or have all the other Jeopardy! contestants on here found the situation to be the same when they were on the show?
My group was also quite friendly and social, lots of chatter in the green room and support for each other at lunch. Several of us evidently had a similar feeling after being on stage of not actually competing with each other; instead, it felt more like we were each competing with Alex -- he was out to stump us as a group, and we were working together to prevent that. After one game, that was even mentioned during the post-game chat during the credits.

The only time "me against them" entered into it was for FJ, and even that was impersonal. It wasn't trying to beat another person, it was simply trying to get a good score. It was more like "yes! I beat my old high score on the video game" and much less like "I beat my opponent."
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:28 pm
PhilKohn wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:09 pm
I'm wondering if I was included in an unusual group, or have all the other Jeopardy! contestants on here found the situation to be the same when they were on the show?
My group was also quite friendly and social, lots of chatter in the green room and support for each other at lunch. Several of us evidently had a similar feeling after being on stage of not actually competing with each other; instead, it felt more like we were each competing with Alex -- he was out to stump us as a group, and we were working together to prevent that. After one game, that was even mentioned during the post-game chat during the credits.

The only time "me against them" entered into it was for FJ, and even that was impersonal. It wasn't trying to beat another person, it was simply trying to get a good score. It was more like "yes! I beat my old high score on the video game" and much less like "I beat my opponent."
This definitely seems to be the case for pretty much everyone from all the stories I’ve seen over 9 years as a boardie and countless interviews of contestants Andy does on his amazing podcast/live panel (seriously, if you don’t listen to that you’re missing out on a LOT if you call yourself a Jeopardy! fan)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

Kenny wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:14 am
PhilKohn wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:54 pm
sims wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:01 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:34 pm
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:14 pm
Pavlov reminder: Hawaii + huge mountain = Mauna Kea
Keeping it a 5th grade level of simplicity for J! purposes what are easy-to-remember distinguishing points for Mauna Kea, Mauna Loa, Diamond Head and Kilauea?

telescope = Mauna Kea is a good start.
I am pretty sure Mauna Loa is active, as is Kilauea.

LT: North Carolina, Huga, Mauna Kea, Emerson, Spirited Away.

I didn't keep track very closely because we were watching as a family but this game seemed easy, especially the FJ. I thought that in a few cases, the top clue was easier than the 2nd clue (Drogon/X-men) and the first two telescope ones but that could just be based on my own personal knowledge level.
Hi! My first post. I was a contestant on tonight's show. Galls me that I couldn't come up with "Mauna Kea," especially since I speak some Hawaiian. All that kept going through my head was Mauna Loa, Mauna Loa, and when Erica said Mauna Loa and came up wrong, my mind went blank.
As points to remember: Mauna means "mountain" in Hawaiian. Loa means "long" and "kea" means white. Yes, Mauna Loa is still active, Mauna Kea (where the telescopes are) is dormant. It's also called Mauna Kea because its top is snow-covered much of the time. Diamond Head is near Honolulu, and early sailors found false diamonds there, hence, its name. Lastly Kilauea (which means "spewing" in Hawaiian) is the most active of Hawaii's five volcanoes and the home of Pele, the Hawaiian goddess of fire, lightning and volcanoes.
I also misread the Wright Brothers questions (coming up in my mind with Wilbur), but when Nan said that, it took the wind out of my sails.
I blew the last DD (for $3,000) because at the time, I didn't remember that the Trappist order of monks (who also brew Trappist ale) was started in Belgium. Thought about it later, but by then, game over!
I also couldn't believe how easy the FJ questions was. My only hope was if Nan and Erica both bet everything and got the answer wrong. But when I saw the question, I knew I was locked for third.
That DD was YEKIOYD. The Trappist hint was worthless. There are lots of Trappist monasteries in Europe. None of them are known for astronomy.
i didn't think the trappist hint was worthless...was the reason i got it right...most notable trappists are in belgium due to beer making
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

zerobandwidth wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:22 am
PhilKohn wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:54 pm Hi! My first post. I was a contestant on tonight's show.

I also misread the Wright Brothers questions (coming up in my mind with Wilbur), but when Nan said that, it took the wind out of my sails.
Congratulations and great job on the show, Phil!

When you pounced on the rebound on that Wright brothers clue, I thought, "Oh good, he caught Nan's mistake and can capitalize on it." But if you had also initially misread it, her answer would only have reinforced that mental block. I can only offer you a free Internet condolence hug from a sympathetic fellow contestant.
theFJguy wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:51 pm FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BOARD GAMES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
An early edition of this game that debuted in 1949 says that it’s “the great new Sherlock Holmes game”
I really do wish at least one of the three contestants had responded to FJ! with "What is 'Cluedo'?" just to see how the judges would have ruled on it. I'd wager (pun intended of course) that the only way for the judges to neg it would be to show that there has never been a "Cluedo"-named edition with the same text.
mcsheffrey wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:29 pm I was pretty sure of the answer on FJ but I was not especially confident. I thought the game Scotland Yard seemed somewhat likely to be described that way. I went away from it mostly because I suspected it was newer (after looking it up, it was released in 1983). Sherlock Holmes was obviously not a member of Scotland Yard but he did work closely with them and, well, who says marketing blurbs need to be 100% accurate?
I'm just happy someone else in the world knows of the "Scotland Yard" board game. It's one of my favorites, and almost no one to whom I've mentioned it had ever heard of it before. I considered it for a moment after thinking "Clue" was too obvious, but it was, in part, the "only I have ever heard of this game" trend that steered me away.

i think they would have had to allow the answer of cluedo....1949 was in the clue and don't believe the north american version called "clue" happened until 1950
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

CasketRomance wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:20 pm i think they would have had to allow the answer of cluedo....1949 was in the clue and don't believe the north american version called "clue" happened until 1950
No, they were specifically asking about the 1949 American version which, as far as I can find, is the only one with the "Sherlock Holmes game" tag. That specific version was called "Clue" (just like every subsequent American version). That version was "an early version of [Clue]" (the earliest, in fact) and "an early version of [Cluedo]" (the earliest to be called "Clue"). Either one works perfectly as a response.

Instead of (or in addition to) the J6 clues, I'd love to see them post the game notes given to Alex. I'd bet this clue came with instructions to accept either response.
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

PhilKohn wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:09 pm I'm wondering if I was included in an unusual group, or have all the other Jeopardy! contestants on here found the situation to be the same when they were on the show?
Hi Phil, still waiting for the Jeopardy! call, but I did Wheel both as an alternate and as a player, and both times the contestant group was a friendly group of folks all in the same weird boat of "about to be on TV playing a game", most of us on national television for the first time. We were all excited for each other and the game, and I really enjoyed both days.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Anybody else have the thought after seeing FJ, “I wonder if they were sued for using the name Sherlock Holmes without permission”?
Sheepin' it real.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:52 pmmorbeedo must have liked the mention of Clowns Without Borders with Erica’s chat.
Loved it! Thanks for the shout out. Erica's story was great PR for the clown community at large - nothing horrifying, nightmarish or creepy about Clowns Without Borders

I've fallen a bit behind on my Jeopardy! viewing with Halloween and the NYC marathon this week! Gotta catch up ;)