Thursday, October 26, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, October 26, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7619, 2017-10-26

CONTESTANTS
Phil Kohn, a retired engineer from Colonia, New Jersey
Erica Irving, a web developer from Washington, D.C.
Nan Bauer, a writer from Brooklyn, Michigan (whose 3-day cash winnings total $36,601)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Nice, warm welcome. Good to have you with us today, too, to spend a half-hour coming up with correct responses just like our three players here today. Phil and Erica, the newcomers--welcome aboard. Nan, good to see you. Here we go. Get into this quickly with these categories…

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
RUINING THE RUMORS (5/5)
DECADE, PLEASE (4/5)
WEIGHTS & MEASURES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ALL ARE INVITED (4/5)
HOW TO BE A LATIN LOVER (5/5)
SONGS ON LIP SYNC BATTLE (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Nan: 13 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Phil: 12 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Erica: 3 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Phil found the Daily Double on the 15th clue. Nan had $800, Erica had $200, and Phil was at $3,200. Phil wagered $800.

WEIGHTS & MEASURES $400: At Starbucks a venti hot drink is this many ounces

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Phil: $4,000
Nan: $800
Erica: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Phil Kohn is from New Jersey, and you’ve had a fairly long career in radio. Tell me about it.

Phil: Yes, I did. 25 years.

Alex: Oh.

Phil: Kind of--basically just part-time. It was something I had aspired to as a kid, and our principal in high school said, “You have a good voice,” and made me the football announcer and made me do all the announcements in school. And it spurred me to try radio.

Alex: Didn’t you also host a program about oldies?

Phil: Yeah, I did oldies for a good many years. Rock and roll oldies.

Alex: Okay, good for you.

Alex: Erica Irving, web developer from Washington, D.C. I’ve heard of Médecins Sans Frontières, Doctors Without Borders, but you were a member of a different group, but similar-sounding.

Erica: Yes. One summer during college, I volunteered with an organization called Clowns Without Borders, yeah. And they work all over the world doing comedy performances and workshops for kids in areas of the world where they could use a little light.

Alex: Is it mostly pantomime? Because you’re dealing with foreign languages.

Erica: Yeah, yeah. It's a lot of physical comedy. A lot of, you know, universal language of laughter.

Alex: Well, good for you.

Alex: Nan Bauer is our champion. She’s a writer who is a big fan of phrases from the past. Give me an example.

Nan: Well, I love old movies and how creative they had to be with profanity back when there was a production code. So I love phrases like "horse feathers" and "balderdash" and "my stars and garters". So…

Alex: Godfrey Daniel!

[Laughter]

Nan: Good one.

Alex: W.C. Fields.

Nan: Nice. I'll remember that.

Alex: Okay, thank you.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
DECADE, PLEASE $600: The emir of Kuwait returns after 7 months in exile
(Phil: What is 2000s?)
(Nan: What is the '70s?)

ALL ARE INVITED $1000: Any member of the World Science Fiction Society can vote for this literary award, which has led to some drama

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Nan: $7,800
Phil: $4,400
Erica: $1,600
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, October 26, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
REAL PEOPLE ON QUARTERS (3/5)
WORLD OF TELESCOPES (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
OLD POETS' NICKNAMES (2/5)
AFTER DINNER (5/5) (Alex: Each correct response will begin with "D-I" and will come after "dinner" in the dictionary.)
THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TATTOO (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Erica: 12 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 2 W
Nan: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W
Phil: 2 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 9
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $12,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Erica snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Nan had $7,800, Erica had $2,800, and Phil was at $3,600. Erica wagered $2,000.

THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON $1200: In a Harry Potter book, Fleur faces a dragon after being selected for a contest by this title vessel

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Phil who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 30th clue. Nan had $9,400, Erica had $14,000, and Phil was at $4,000. Phil wagered $3,000.

WORLD OF TELESCOPES $2000: Though in Chile, the exoplanet-searching telescope dubbed Trappist is a project of this country
(Phil: What is the U.S.?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON $2000: While encountering the spirit world, Chihiro discovers Haku has become a white dragon in this Miyazaki animated film
(Nan: What is Howl's Moving Castle?)

TATTOO $800: The blog Hanzi Smatter can make sure your tattoo is accurate in this language written entirely in Hanzi characters

OLD POETS' NICKNAMES $800: "The Good Gray poet"

OLD POETS' NICKNAMES $1200: "The Sage of Concord"

REAL PEOPLE ON QUARTERS $800: Of the 2 brothers, only Wilbur can be seen clearly in the photo on which this state's quarter was based
(Nan: Who are the Wright brothers?)
(Phil: Who are... Wright?)

OLD POETS' NICKNAMES $1600: "The Poet of Nature" & "The Great Laker" (also "The Blockhead" & "The Clownish Sycophant")

REAL PEOPLE ON QUARTERS $1600: As the victor in this battle, Oliver Hazard Perry is seen on the quarter for the Ohio memorial that bears his name

TATTOO $2000: Dotwork tattoos use this technique, from the Dutch for "dot"

WORLD OF TELESCOPES $1200: Keck I and II are twin telescopes found on this huge, dormant Hawaiian volcano
(Phil: What is...)
(Erica: What is Mauna Loa?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Erica: $14,000
Nan: $9,400
Phil: $1,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BOARD GAMES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Erica: Wager $4,801 to cover Nan, but no more than $11,999 so as not to fall behind Phil's doubled score. If you're a fan of shoretegic wagering, you might risk $2,801.
Nan: You'll want to wager between $0 (venusian) and $200 (martian), and you'll win the game if Erica wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Phil: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
An early edition of this game that debuted in 1949 says that it's "the great new Sherlock Holmes game"

FINAL SCORES
Phil: $1,000 + $0 = $1,000 (What is Clue?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Nan: $9,400 + $7,200 = $16,600 (What is Clue?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Erica: $14,000 + $4,801 = $18,801 (What is Clue?) (New champion: $18,801)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Erica: $13,200, 15 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Nan: $9,400, 19 R, 4 W
Phil: $3,600, 14 R (including 1 DD), 8 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $26,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Nan: 20/58 = .345
Erica: 16/59 = .271
Phil: 15/60 = .250
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
DECADE, PLEASE $200: The 49th state joins the Union
(Phil: What is the 1960s?)
(Alex: 1959, Alaska.)

RUINING THE RUMORS $400: The woman on the poster here was actually a metal presser, yet people still call her by this alliterative name

SONGS ON LIP SYNC BATTLE $200: Oddly, this rapper chose "Don't Stop Believin'"

ALL ARE INVITED $600: Got $10,000? You can compete in the main event of this card competition in Las Vegas
(Phil: What are Poker Olympics?)

SONGS ON LIP SYNC BATTLE $600: He wore hammer pants when he competed with "U Can't Touch This"

DECADE, PLEASE $1000: Huey Long is gunned down
(Phil: What is the '40s?)
(Alex: Happened in '35.)

WEIGHTS & MEASURES $800: A lively dance is in the name of this measure of booze that can be the equivalent of a shot
(Phil: What is a jig? Or [*]?)

THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON $800: While fighting aliens as part of this Marvel mutant group, Kitty Pryde finds a dragon she names Lockheed
(Phil: Who are the Masters of the Universe?)

WORLD OF TELESCOPES $400: The largest single optical telescope in the Southern Hemisphere is found in this country's Northern Cape Province
(Erica: What is Australia?)

REAL PEOPLE ON QUARTERS $400: A quarter honors his national historic site in Washington, D.C., and on the back is the man himself

OLD POETS' NICKNAMES $2000: "The Lady of Christ's College" (maybe for his fair complexion) & "The British Homer"
(Nan: Who is Alfred, Lord Tennyson?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the 1990s
the Hugo Awards
the goblet of fire
Belgium
Spirited Away
Chinese
Walt Whitman
Ralph Waldo Emerson
North Carolina
William Wordsworth
Battle of Lake Erie
stippling
Mauna Kea
Clue
the '50s
Rosie the Riveter
Snoop Dogg
the World Series of Poker
John Legend
the 1930s
jigger
the X-Men
South Africa
Frederick Douglass
Milton
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BOARD GAMES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
An early edition of this game that debuted in 1949 says that it’s “the great new Sherlock Holmes game”

Nan Bauer: 9400+7200=16600
Erica Irving: 14000+4801=18801 (New Champ)
Phil Kohn: 1000+0=1000

Correct response:
Spoiler
Clue

Daily Doubles
Phil: 3200+8000
Erica: 2800+2000
Phil: 4000-3000

Coryats
Nan: 9400
Erica: 13200
Phil: 3600

Combined: 26,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Nan: 7800
Erica: 1600
Phil: 4400
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Back to the instaget FJs.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Nice to see the LIP SYNC BATTLE category since I enjoy the show and use it to learn some new songs and/or artists unfamiliar to me. One of the more amazing performances on the show was this one: https://youtu.be/2EtaNojO7dY?t=111

Alex’s comment: Maybe, we should have made this Final Jeopardy! clue a little tougher. You all wrote down your responses so quickly.

Yeah, that clue left next to no chance of a reversal of fortune for whoever had the lead. To me it was clue revealed and game over in milliseconds as I could not imagine Erica missing it. The scores did not dictate wagering scenarios that would somehow change the result.

Morbeedo must have liked the mention of Clowns Without Borders with Erica’s chat.

Today’s result all but locks in the TOC field as either Erica win enough games, but loses by Friday the 3rd or a different winner comes out of tomorrow’s game, wins 5 and loses next Friday.
PanthersFan1
Contributor

Post by PanthersFan1 »

kids week FJ.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mcsheffrey »

I was pretty sure of the answer on FJ but I was not especially confident. I thought the game Scotland Yard seemed somewhat likely to be described that way. I went away from it mostly because I suspected it was newer (after looking it up, it was released in 1983). Sherlock Holmes was obviously not a member of Scotland Yard but he did work closely with them and, well, who says marketing blurbs need to be 100% accurate?

Anyways, I agree it was a pretty easy FJ but there were certainly other possibilities that could be considered.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $28,000
42 R/2 W
DD: 1/2
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Hugo Awards, Spirited Away, North Carolina, Battle of Lake Erie, Mauna Kea

Unfortunately, I got spoiled on the Goblet of Fire DD. I think I would have sussed it out in time, but I can't say that for sure.

Pavlov reminder: Hawaii + huge mountain = Mauna Kea

That World of Telescopes DD was brutal. OTOH, is it possible for a FJ! to poll above 100%?
Sprinkles are for winners.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Instaget with Cluedo, which is the more correct answer, IMHO. I wrote down Clue since I assumed that is what they wanted.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:14 pm
Keeping it a 5th grade level of simplicity for J! purposes what are easy-to-remember distinguishing points for Mauna Kea, Mauna Loa, Diamond Head and Kilauea?

telescope = Mauna Kea is a good start.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:14 pm Pavlov reminder: Hawaii + huge mountain = Mauna Kea
Hmm. For me the key bit was 'dormant'. They're both kinda huge.

Instaget FJ. 95%+ in the poll?

Also, please don't poll that telescope DD.
sims
Valued Contributor

Post by sims »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:34 pm
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:14 pm
Keeping it a 5th grade level of simplicity for J! purposes what are easy-to-remember distinguishing points for Mauna Kea, Mauna Loa, Diamond Head and Kilauea?

telescope = Mauna Kea is a good start.
I am pretty sure Mauna Loa is active, as is Kilauea.

LT: North Carolina, Huga, Mauna Kea, Emerson, Spirited Away.

I didn't keep track very closely because we were watching as a family but this game seemed easy, especially the FJ. I thought that in a few cases, the top clue was easier than the 2nd clue (Drogon/X-men) and the first two telescope ones but that could just be based on my own personal knowledge level.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:52 pm Today’s result all but locks in the TOC field as either Erica win enough games, but loses by Friday the 3rd or a different winner comes out of tomorrow’s game, wins 5 and loses next Friday.
Not that it's going to matter anyway, but because the field has already been filled up by the four tourney winners and the eleven 5x time champs, if there was another 5x winner they would have just overflowed into the next ToC, no? That's what has been done in years past, anyway.

Thank you writers, for an easy FJ to get me off the schneid this week. I wish it were harder, but anything works to avoid the 0-fer come tomorrow evening. Almost wrote Cluedo, but elected against it. I remember when one of the newer versions of Clue came out (2009 maybe?) .. my brother and I were intrigued when we heard a radio story stating that the new version would include the new weapon of poison. Sure enough my grandparents bought it later that year.

Lot of trash this evening: I picked up the '90s, North Carolina, Emerson, Wordsworth, Chinese and the Hugo Awards.
Last edited by threearruda on Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Coryat: $23,000
DDs: 2/3
FJ!: :mrgreen:

Ran Weights & Measures, Songs on Lip Sync Battle. 4/5 on Rumours, Dinner, Dragon.

One anecdote I've got down on the audition form is about my collection of board games. No way I was missing this. But, given the difficulty of other FJ!'s this week, I was expecting something like "Elizabeth Magie created the predecessor to this 1935 game in 1904" or "He published Die Siedler von Catan in 1995". Instead, we get a Kids' Week-level FJ!, almost as an apology for other clues this week.

Correct answers to the above in the spoiler box.
Spoiler
Magie game is Monopoly; Settlers' creator is Klaus Teuber
sims wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:01 pm I didn't keep track very closely because we were watching as a family but this game seemed easy, especially the FJ. I thought that in a few cases, the top clue was easier than the 2nd clue (Drogon/X-men) and the first two telescope ones but that could just be based on my own personal knowledge level.
Having never seen Game of Thrones, I thought they shouted out to Christopher Paolini with Eragon.
Last edited by NoWhammies10 on Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

sims wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:01 pm I didn't keep track very closely because we were watching as a family but this game seemed easy, especially the FJ. I thought that in a few cases, the top clue was easier than the 2nd clue (Drogon/X-men) and the first two telescope ones but that could just be based on my own personal knowledge level.
Speaking of easy, giving "no go" for the $1000 clue? Sheesh.

I did, however, fall for what I thought was a slightly negbaity 20 oz for the Venti clue.
georgetrev
Contributor

Post by georgetrev »

That FJ belongs on Kids Week. SMH.

Swept Lip Sync Battle.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

At home, I said Cluedo. On stage, I probably would've chickened out.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

As I expected, Nan's random guesses ultimately kept her from becoming a five time champion. That easy peasy FJ was cruel for anyone rooting for her to get to game five.

I was puzzled that they allowed responses without the proper century prefix in the Decade category. Was I missing something in the category title that limited it to the 1900s?

Lach Trash: North Carlona, 1990s, Lake Erie
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Lach Trash: 1990s, North Carolina, Hugo Awards

Nan's misreading of the Wright Brothers question seemed like a fatal momentum killer.