Wednesday, December 21, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

cheezguyty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by cheezguyty »

MarkBarrett wrote:Any guesses for what Janemarie might have been going for with her FJ response? Carolina?
The Carolina Jaguars.
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

I have to imagine one of the worst Jeopardy feelings possible is to make a huge comeback in DJ, only to get a category like the NFL in FJ. I don't know how much she knew about it, but she looked a bit sick to her stomach when she saw the category.

I thought her DD wager (#2) was odd. A wrong answer almost KOs her, a right answer requires Jason to be shut out the rest of the way and a correct answer on the next couple clues to take the lead.

I think all three wagers were good too, so kudos on that.

Got FJ, I started with Tampa and then went out west (LA, Arizona...Seattle, natch). I like the clue since it rewards different levels of knowledge.If you know all or some of the teams (at least Seattle), you have a shot. If you know what teams weren't really old, that whittles it down. And so on.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Vanya wrote:Tampa Bay also had the gayest logo when they started out.
Them's fightin' words -- it's a dashing pirate, not a gay pirate.

But, yes, I realize the fact that the logo character's name is "Bucco Bruce" doesn't help.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The bit about them being formed in the mid-70s made it simple. I love seeing the NFL as a category when I'm 0-2 for the week on FJ. Don't know if I'd have gotten it without the time era hint.

On the DD, with only $4,000 left and the minute warning have long since been given, I'd have bet almost everything on the DD to take the lead right then.
alamble

Post by alamble »

DBear wrote:Those of you who went thru the divisions are doing it wrong. There were only two NFL teams added during the '70s--The Seattle Seahawks and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
Seeing as I wasn't even born yet when the Seahawks and Bucs were added to the league, (though I am old enough to remember when Seattle was in the AFC West) I'll take my way, thanksverymuch.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

trainman wrote:
Vanya wrote:Tampa Bay also had the gayest logo when they started out.
Them's fightin' words -- it's a dashing pirate, not a gay pirate.

But, yes, I realize the fact that the logo character's name is "Bucco Bruce" doesn't help.
I think that it was more about the color choice initially. FJ wasn't an instaget, but I only had to mentally go through the few teams that entered the league in that era to arrive at the right answer. I surprised myself by doing well on the Classic Films cat (my performance in TD 144 attests to my level of knowledge in that area) and got a bit of Lach Trash in what was a well-played game.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

There's another current NFL team that started life as the Miami Seahawks in the old AAFC (1946). Anyone, Beuller? Fry? Anyone?
Spoiler
Indianapolis Colts
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

xxaaaxx wrote:Despite being an NFL fanatic, this FJ sent me racing through the divisions, and of COURSE I hit the NFC West last.
I went through the divisions for the first 20 seconds, then panicked and just went anywhere. I finally got it... but in 40 seconds. :(
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

MarkBarrett wrote:
DBear wrote: They wouldn't accept "Sea." with the period to shorten Seattle would they? Is there any kind of acceptable shortcut?
I guessing they would take either "Seattle" or "Seahawks."
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

trainman wrote:Them's fightin' words -- it's a dashing pirate, not a gay pirate.
It sure isn't dashing this year. :lol:

See you on Saturday as we break out the brooms. :P
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

DBear wrote:Those of you who went thru the divisions are doing it wrong. There were only two NFL teams added during the '70s--The Seattle Seahawks and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
Exactly. And being a Bucs fan since Day 1, I knew that it wasn't them and also knew that Seattle came in at the same time -- instaget.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

cheezguyty wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Any guesses for what Janemarie might have been going for with her FJ response? Carolina?
The Carolina Jaguars.
The who?

Jacksonville Jags.
Carolina Panthers.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

econgator wrote:
cheezguyty wrote:
The Carolina Jaguars.
The who?

Jacksonville Jags.
Carolina Panthers.
I don't actually care.

ETA: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3447
Last edited by cheezguyty on Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
alamble

Post by alamble »

econgator wrote:
cheezguyty wrote:
The Carolina Jaguars.
The who?

Jacksonville Jags.
Carolina Panthers.
*whoosh*
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

econgator wrote:
Exactly. And being a Bucs fan since Day 1, I knew that it wasn't them and also knew that Seattle came in at the same time -- instaget.
I only remembered Tampa Bay, and I did it by decade.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by chuck5982 »

Pets in History for $2000:
Spoiler
This little protege of P.T. Barnum led a playful attack on Queen Victoria's poodle after the dog barked at him
Spoiler
Who is Tom Thumb?
That clue/question in a way mirrors one from this game: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3110
MDCSWildcats86 wrote:
WRV wrote:My first thought was the Philadelphia Phillies (thus demonstrating my practically non-existent knowledge of sports).

They already tried that in Season 26, IIRC.
Season 25, from 2/25/09. http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2936

Instaget FJ! Came to me while I was still reading the clue.
Last edited by chuck5982 on Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Not a sports fan, but I was actually proud I got it rather early. I think the main reason was at my kids' school, the students are divided up into four "teams" for things like dodgeball tournaments and bringing in non-perishable items for Christmas hampers (kids from each grade K-5 are on each team), one of the teams is the "Seahawks" (my son's team) and they use Seattle's logo. (The others are the Ravens (my daughter's), the Cardinals, the Falcons, and the Eagles, each using the relevant sports logo. In *my* day, our school's arbitrary student body divisions were named after Canadian Olympic heroes of the day (Magnussen, Greene, Bowman, and Boucher - at least our team names were patriotic!)

I assume my answer of "the 18th amendment" for "21st $400" would be correct ("prohibition" did come to mind as well, but I thought it sounded better with the clue worded the way it was), but is "Girl Guides" acceptable for "Girl Scouts" in "Separation $200"? (The "Brownies" part made me jump on that, as my daughter, who is in Girl Guides, was in Brownies last year.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

billy pilgrim wrote:There's another current NFL team that started life as the Miami Seahawks in the old AAFC (1946). Anyone, Beuller? Fry? Anyone?
Spoiler
Indianapolis Colts
Actually, you're a little off on that. The first Baltimore Colts folded in 1950 after three seasons in the AAFC and one season in the NFL, then in 1953 the name was revived for a different team to become the Baltimore Colts. The SeahawkColts wore green and silver (ewwww), while the 1953-spawned Colts wore blue and white. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_Colts_(1947-50)

FJ was the most insta of insta-gets for this NFL fan. Upon the reveal of the clue, I restarted the show on my DVR to see the hometowns of the 3 players in the opening introductions. With none being anywhere near the Pacific Northwest, I figured we were likely to see no more than 1 or 2 correct responses. I feel Alex may have overestimated Jason's football knowledge based on the Bowl Games category, if he really took a long time to write down that response. That comment seemed quite out of line to me, essentially telling the other players that Jason may be strong in this category. Sure, they were watching from the audience on Monday, but that doesn't mean that they would have specifically remembered Jason running that category. After all, he was just a 1-day champion at that point and they were seeing him for the first time, so it wouldn't have been like they were generating a full scouting report in anticipation of meeting him.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

Instaget FJ...in fact, I had it before Alex was done reading the clue. I have my dad, a diehard Seahawks fan, to thank...I'm no football fan by any means (unless it's fantasy football...going for 3rd place this week! :)), but because of him, they were the first team to come to mind, and it ended up working out great. I'll have to tell him the clue later and see if he gets it.

Jason's doing very well against some sizable competition. I had a feeling Janemarie would give him a run for his money, and she certainly did today.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Not insta, but pretty darn close (which is notable for me on a sports question). Some of you ran through divisions; I ran through the correct responses to this FJ (and for good measure, threw in the baseball one already mentioned). "Phillies? That's baseball. Jaguars? Close, but no. Bills? No. Seahawks? There we go!" It's a good thing the one I can't remember wasn't the response tonight. But I'll actually look at it right now.