Wednesday, December 21, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Re: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Vanya »

jpahk wrote:
i think plaxico was doing it wrong.
Yep. He should have farted instead of shooting himself in the leg.
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

dhkendall wrote:
omgwheelhouse wrote:if someone were to give me great odds right now I wouldn't mind putting a bet on him to win the whole thing.
Considering there's an extremely good chance you haven't seen any of the other 14 players yet, that's being quite presumptuous (after all, we haven't heard anything from Schliemann lately, take that as you will ;) )

Myself, I'd put Jason possibly at silver level, but absolutely no higher. Had I only seen his first two or so games, I'd have put him at bronze.

Yes, I'm aware I haven't seen any of the other 14 players. What odds would you give me? I'll bet you 1000 Jboard bucks!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

We don't use bucks here. The official JBoard currency is the Quatloo.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

omgwheelhouse wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
omgwheelhouse wrote:if someone were to give me great odds right now I wouldn't mind putting a bet on him to win the whole thing.
Considering there's an extremely good chance you haven't seen any of the other 14 players yet, that's being quite presumptuous (after all, we haven't heard anything from Schliemann lately, take that as you will ;) )

Myself, I'd put Jason possibly at silver level, but absolutely no higher. Had I only seen his first two or so games, I'd have put him at bronze.

Yes, I'm aware I haven't seen any of the other 14 players. What odds would you give me? I'll bet you 1000 Jboard bucks!
Done! Now it's up to alietr to invent the darn things so that when I collect, I can buy some cool JBoard gear, like all the cool geeks have!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
iowabelle
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by iowabelle »

I'm wondering if I'm a distant cousin of Janemarie's (or her husband--wasn't sure about her marital status). Cloutier is a very common name in Quebec. And since I've been doing my research about Quebec, I've learned that most of us with heritage in French Quebec are related.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

iowabelle wrote:I'm wondering if I'm a distant cousin of Janemarie's (or her husband--wasn't sure about her marital status). Cloutier is a very common name in Quebec. And since I've been doing my research about Quebec, I've learned that most of us with heritage in French Quebec are related.
I traced my ancestry to a Cloutier a few years ago, and followed the thread back to the 16th century. So we're probably cousins!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

iowabelle wrote:I'm wondering if I'm a distant cousin of Janemarie's (or her husband--wasn't sure about her marital status). Cloutier is a very common name in Quebec. And since I've been doing my research about Quebec, I've learned that most of us with heritage in French Quebec are related.
I have heard that Dave Cloutier is related to virtually everybody with French Quebec heritage, so I'd be inclined to believe so. It is interesting that you used the term "French Quebec", as most people would probably think of "French Quebec" as being redundant. However, there are lots (& lots & lots & lots) of people with Quebec heritage (myself included) who are not French in any way shape or form. Similarly, there are many many French people here in Canada and throughout the world (and, yes, even in Quebec) who have no ancestry in Quebec. So, I guess that is the only term to use, although I've never heard it used before.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
iowabelle
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by iowabelle »

Nice to "meet" you, cousin seaborgium! (Although we've talked many times before.)

To be honest, I haven't really found a good term to describe the descendants of the French in Quebec before 1763. Francophone doesn't really fit, because anyone could learn to speak French. Quebecois maybe? But to me that means anyone from Quebec too.

My great-great-grandparents were the ones who came to the US and they clearly considered themselves French people from Quebec as opposed to those with English or other ancestry in Quebec. They were so French they never learned to speak English despite living here for over 50 years.