Monday, October 30, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Monday, October 30, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:28 pm Can't believe I missed "Rocket Raccoon". That was kind of an obscure path to him though -- I bet almost no one knew who he even was before the Guardians of the Galaxy movies, which apparently take a lot of liberties with the source material.
Doesn't help that his MCU counterpart is lacking obvious cybernetic implants.
I bit on the "Blackbeard" negbait on Cap for $200. I'm guessing they all pavlov'd to Blackbeard, and couldn't shift gears in time after the neg. Seems that happens a lot lately.
Sir Francis Drake...I was a bit off in my math.

5th time per the archive that antidisestablishmentarianism was a response.
Also got antipenultimate and antecedent...and I couldn't have given you the definition of the latter if you gave me a year. Still can't. Forgot the clue already. :lol:

Final thought process: Greek for sailor...astronaut is 'star sailor' so...'naut.' Oh. Nautilus. Must mean 'no one' translates to James Mason. 20,000 leagues!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Not that you would get negged for the i outside a spelling category, but it's antepenultimate. Ante- is Latin and means "before," whereas anti- (with a few exceptions) is Greek and means "against."
Woppy T
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Woppy T »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:06 pm
Category 13 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:02 pm
I found the Ant Man material to be more suited for DJ than J, and perhaps even ToC level. Antecedent a middle row clue? I was slack jawed.
I couldn't define an antecedent to save my life but I remember the term from high school English class.

It helps to be old I got Lou Ferigno in the bottom row for my only get in that category.
And by "old" you apparently mean 40s and over??😉
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

goatman wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:35 pm Warren Zevon (Roland the Thompson Gunner! :-)
Headless Thompson Gunner .... :P
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

My fear is that the younger generation will only know Zevon for providing the sample for that Kid Rock song.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

MattKnowles wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:33 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:16 pm Morgan worked in Dinky Donkey, Dorky Donkey and Badonka Donkey as possible names for wanting a miniature donkey with her winnings. What do those things go for? Hope it’s under a grand?
They're going for about $650-$1000 in my area.

I got Final Jeopardy but if I had thought of The Ballad of Cap'n Crunch I might have put that.
Here's hoping Badonka Donkey is munching a heaping bowl of Donkey Chow at Morgan's watch party tonight!

I was in the studio for this one. (That's me shouting "Yeah!" when Charles' FJ answer is revealed.) People with auditions coming up absolutely should take a page out of Morgan's book: she's fun, fearless, energetic, and that great attitude amped up everyone around her. It certainly carries through onscreen. Although things didn't go her way in the televised game, this girl was RUNNING categories in rehearsal while everyone else was still waiting for the caffeine to kick in.

And to build on what PhilKohn shared about his experience last week, our group had a blast together, and our friends and family did too. (My Mom enjoyed driving from hotel to studio with Charles' significant other, and they basically spent the entire day together.) And although Anand is a super genial guy, seeing him in action immediately elicited whispers of "Omigod--this guy's a buzzsaw!" from the rest of us in the audience. Ack!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:12 pm My fear is that the younger generation will only know Zevon for providing the sample for that Kid Rock song.
I am probably one of the youngest people who was aware of both "Werewolves of London" and "Sweet Home Alabama" well before "All Summer Long" existed.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

doihavetoreally wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:32 pm I found this game harder than usual. Maybe the categories. Worst performance in years.
I thought it was very difficult, too, although I did get FJ.

It annoys me a little that comic books and super hero movies are something we're supposed to know now.
sims
Valued Contributor

Post by sims »

Ok so I didn't see the first DD because I didn't get to the TV until the 1st commercial was starting, but I got the other two and the final. I thought that was a well-done FJ question: not the ridiculously easy "Clue" of last week but something that most people will be familiar with if they figure out the "hints" in the clue.

I really liked Morgan. I loved her showing so much personality and it made me wish I'd tried a bit harder to do that during my taping.

Lach trash: Antecedent, Antepenultimate, warren zevon, ear, shirtdress, Ft. Wayne (I only knew this because it came up at trivia a few months ago when no one on our team could name a city other than Indianapolis).
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

So, the night my DVR crapped out and lost J! is the night there was a clue about one of my favorite musical artists, Warren Zevon. Sigh.

Instaget FJ though. Knew "Nemo" was Latin for "no one" from Dickens, Bleak House to be specific.
hscer

Post by hscer »

I figured out antepenultimate but wasn't confident enough to guess. Decent Coryat here despite being shut out on the stupid Marvel category. And 2 straight FJ's (which is decent considering I only started watching again on Friday)
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Morgan totally reminded me of Laura Jambon. Appearance, demeanor, and animal story (though Laura's was more entertaining):

And yes, I need to get video links working again.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I learned "Nemo" meant "no one" from "The Cask of Amontillado," in which the narrator's family motto is "Nemo me impune lacessit," explained in the footnotes of my high school literature book to mean "No one attacks me with impunity."
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Amusingly enough, when I exited my recording of Jeopardy, the channel I was tuned to had a commercial for Raisin Bran crunch, which features the arpeggio from Werewolves of London. I shall be scolding Anand for not knowing Warren Zevon, since we had been discussing music the other night.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:12 pm My fear is that the younger generation will only know Zevon for providing the sample for that Kid Rock song.
I have a feeling "Werewolves..." will still be played long after nearly everyone's forgotten about Kid Rock.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:50 am
I have a feeling "Werewolves..." will still be played long after nearly everyone's forgotten about Kid Rock.
... which can't be soon enough.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

The local alternative rock station (KROQ) is playing vaguely Halloween-themed songs with their morning show, and they've played "Werewolves of London" already; right now it's "Dragula" by Rob Zombie. So that's two of this game's responses I've heard this morning, by coincidence.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

alietr wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:28 am Amusingly enough, when I exited my recording of Jeopardy, the channel I was tuned to had a commercial for Raisin Bran crunch, which features the arpeggio from Werewolves of London. I shall be scolding Anand for not knowing Warren Zevon, since we had been discussing music the other night.
I could name the song, but “zevon” just wouldn’t come to me. I saw that commercial too, and was amused at their choice because the lyrics are way too gruesome for a wholesome cereal commercial.

I was surprised at how much they struggled with that FJ. I’d have thought that with Moby Dick ruled out by virtue of being in the game already, and “Bounty” obviously not Greek for “ship,” that only one possibility would make sense.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

dhkendall wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:34 pm My only concern was getting everything in under the time. I have messy writing as is. (I hope for my Final Jeopardy! the answer is something like "What is PEI" or something like that. :) )
I think you'd have to write out Prince Edward Island for it to count. Or were you referring to the architect?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

alietr wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:14 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:50 am
... which can't be soon enough.
"Picture" is one of my all time favorite songs in any genre. Any artist with one very good song in them can't be all bad.

(Fun fact: Kid Rock has been known to visit bars in my town. Sadly, the last time he was up here, I was in the middle of a very long shift.)