Monday, October 30, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, October 30, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:58 pm

J! Round

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, October 30, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:59 pm

DJ! Round

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:15 pm

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY LITERATURE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This 1870 novel has a ship whose name is from the Greek for “sailor” & a captain whose name is Latin for “no one”

Anand Kandaswamy: 21200+3800=25000 (2x = $35,001)
Charles Yu: 5800-201=5599
Morgan Hanson: 3000-3000=0

Correct response:
SpoilerShow
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Charles – The Ballad of Capn Crunch) (Morgan – Watership Down)

Daily Doubles
Anand: 3400+1600
Anand: 18800+1200
Morgan: 8800-1000

Coryats
Anand: 21200
Charles: 5800
Morgan: 4000

Combined: 31,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Anand: 9200
Charles: 2200
Morgan: 2800

MarkBarrett
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MarkBarrett » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:16 pm

Morgan worked in Dinky Donkey, Dorky Donkey and Badonka Donkey as possible names for wanting a miniature donkey with her winnings. What do those things go for? Hope it’s under a grand?

Alex confirmed the TOC for Monday with favorite players from the past year. What about the year before that, Alex?

Check out DD2 from this game:
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3284

In the category of just kidding: Anand gave the movie title and not the novel title. He should have been negged. I took that same short cut as well since it was plenty enough to write as is. Good thing the think portion of solving the clue was short.

MDCSWildcats86
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MDCSWildcats86 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:56 pm

Happy to see a ZOOM reference on today's show.

Now if only someone would bet $02134 for a DD, we'd be set!!!!

PanthersFan1
Contributor

Post by PanthersFan1 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:04 pm

not that it mattered since she got it wrong but Morgan should have went all on her dd and that was her chance to make it a game and maybe steal a win.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:21 pm

I always worry I’ll get the number of leagues wrong but I nailed it.

I was rooting for Morgan as she seemed to be having fun without pre-planned stunts, but timid betting and too many misses down the stretch doomed her chances.
Complete the List champion, Episode 12.

TenPoundHammer
Watch Me on Wheel December 8

Post by TenPoundHammer » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:28 pm

Morgan was very entertaining. Loved the middle guy's guess on FJ! too.

Can't believe I missed "Rocket Raccoon". That was kind of an obscure path to him though -- I bet almost no one knew who he even was before the Guardians of the Galaxy movies, which apparently take a lot of liberties with the source material.

I bit on the "Blackbeard" negbait on Cap for $200. I'm guessing they all pavlov'd to Blackbeard, and couldn't shift gears in time after the neg. Seems that happens a lot lately.

Showing my love for mustelidae, I ran Wolverine. Also ran "Ant".

So they can put the tilde over the N in "Señor" but not in "piña colada"? Sloppy.

NHO "vocational training". Must've spent all my "word category" points in the J! round, because I whiffed the 10 Letter Words category.

Strangely, the only Second-Biggest Cities I got were the three that they were stumped on. Lost the Minneapolis/St. Paul coin flip, and just drew a blank on anything other than Charlotte for "city in NC".

Crazy Lach Trash for me: antecedent, glutton, antipenultimate, Warren Zevon, Tulsa, Colorado Springs, Fort Wayne
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

NoWhammies10
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by NoWhammies10 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:02 pm

Coryat: $26,800
DDs: 1/3
FJ!: :(

Ran Fantastic 4.

Like TPH, I spent all my Wordplay points on "antipenultimate" and "antidisestablishmentarianism". 0/5 on 10-Letter Words.

Put The Old Man & The Sea, then immediately facepalmed when the correct response was revealed. Double facepalmed when my response was published in 1951.

threearruda
Contributor

Post by threearruda » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:16 pm

Uncle Alex needs to refresh his memory a bit. All I could do was shake my head and point at the TV in frustration when he mentioned the ToC only containing players from the previous year. I swear that man only remembers one contestant in show history.

Morgan doomed herself by talking about her hypothetical winnings during the interviews. You always take the Hunter Appler route and don't even mention it. :D

I don't like themed rounds much.. for some reason they're usually harder for me. Nevertheless, got Final to make up for an off-day. Growing up with PBS Kids, pleased as well to see Zoom as a correct response tonight.

Congrats to Anand for playing a fantastic game from start to finish and picking up win #2!

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:35 pm

Instaget. 42R. LT: Antecedent, Warren Zevon (Roland the Thompson Gunner! :-); Simon Peter clipped an ear; Tulsa OK, Co Springs CO, Ft Mad Anthony Wayne, IN. NO get on 'antipenultimate' = new word for goats; nice to see 'emoluments' which were in LL recently, but NHO 'aboucher.'

Morgan's funny chatter about donkeys, reminds me: Stallion mates with Jenny >> Hinny; Mare mates with donkey (burro) >> Mule. Moar LL!
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!

MarkBarrett
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MarkBarrett » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:48 pm

In posting the J! TOC thread I do not consider it a spoiler for Anand. He could lose this week and also he's only at 2 wins so early for TOC coronation. On the other hand he could sweep the week and be in the next one. Either way having the QF matches revealed does not spoil how Anand's time on the show will go.

Ironhorse
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Ironhorse » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:58 pm

LT: Warren Zevon, William Kidd, ear, Fort Wayne, Tulsa, Colorado Springs, embouchure. Instagot FJ.
Last edited by Ironhorse on Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:02 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote: Crazy Lach Trash for me: antecedent, glutton, antipenultimate, Warren Zevon, Tulsa, Colorado Springs, Fort Wayne
OK, who hacked TPH's log in?
I did get some of the same LT. Warren Zevon, Ear, and Fort Wayne. Also the Ahab's Leg DD.

I found the Ant Man material to be more suited for DJ than J, and perhaps even ToC level. Antecedent a middle row clue? I was slack jawed.

It's funny how the allure of the nice sounding number of 25,000 over shadowed the nice even number of 30,000 for Anand.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:06 pm

Category 13 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:02 pm

I found the Ant Man material to be more suited for DJ than J, and perhaps even ToC level. Antecedent a middle row clue? I was slack jawed.
I couldn't define an antecedent to save my life but I remember the term from high school English class.

It helps to be old I got Lou Ferigno in the bottom row for my only get in that category.
Complete the List champion, Episode 12.

OSXpert

Post by OSXpert » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:20 pm

Not an instaget, but I was able to tease out FJ. There was a thread on reddit recently about how many people think 20,000 leagues refers to the depth the sub was at, and this clip of Kelsey Grammer as Captain Nemo on SNL was shared: https://streamable.com/bf8f Decent James Mason/Peter Lorre impressions.

I was pretty happy with sweeping the "Ant" category but I think I would have balked at ringing in on some of those later once due to a fear of mispronouncing something.

doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:32 pm

I found this game harder than usual. Maybe the categories. Worst performance in years.
No get on FJ either. That's awfully long response to write. I was wondering if they would accept 20K in the response.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!

MattKnowles

Post by MattKnowles » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:33 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:16 pm
Morgan worked in Dinky Donkey, Dorky Donkey and Badonka Donkey as possible names for wanting a miniature donkey with her winnings. What do those things go for? Hope it’s under a grand?
They're going for about $650-$1000 in my area.

I got Final Jeopardy but if I had thought of The Ballad of Cap'n Crunch I might have put that.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:34 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:28 pm
I bit on the "Blackbeard" negbait on Cap for $200. I'm guessing they all pavlov'd to Blackbeard, and couldn't shift gears in time after the neg. Seems that happens a lot lately.
I don't think "Blackbeard" was negbait, as he's rarely, if ever, called "Captain Blackbeard" like the contestant referred to him. (Now, my answer of "Captain Morgan", I'd say was closer to being negbait.)

FJ thought process: "OK, Greek for sailor ..."
Brain: "Argonaut! That sounds right! Let's go from there!"
Me: "Shut up, brain!"
Brain: "Argonaut!"
Me: "OK, well, I thought -naut comes from Greek for sailor: Astronaut, Chrononaut, nautical, that's something. But Jason meaning no man ... ?"
Brain: "Argonaut!"
Me: "Astronaut, nautical, Nautilus! "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea"! Hurry, write it down before time's up, you're like 23 seconds in already!"
Me (while writing): "Captain of the Nautilus, Captain Nemo ... yeah! That sounds plausible for no man! I think I got it! Yay!"

My only concern was getting everything in under the time. I have messy writing as is. (I hope for my Final Jeopardy! the answer is something like "What is PEI" or something like that. :) )
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

zerobandwidth
Austin Rogers Victim #3

Post by zerobandwidth » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:35 pm

Poor Morgan. After the DD miss she fell into the "desperate guesses" trap and went something like -5k. But at least she got to say "what is antidisestablishmentarianism", twice.

It's good to see a trend starting to develop where the contestants are enjoying themselves on stage. If this is the lasting legacy of Austin Rogers, I'll be the happier for it.

The TS for Colorado Springs was baffling. But maybe that's just because I watched Stargate: SG-1.

I think the stand-and-stare for "antecedent" was just from the clue being worded so awkwardly, but I don't know how the writers could have done any better without making it a video clue and showing a sentence diagram or some nonsense.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27 (Austin Rogers fodder #3)
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL75: R Summit Div 2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest