Tuesday, October 31, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7622, 2017-10-31

CONTESTANTS
Byron Merrill, a network engineer from Lincoln, Nebraska
Patrick Theobald, a product manager from Nashville, Tennessee
Anand Kandaswamy, an economist from Washington, D.C. (whose 2-day cash winnings total $35,001)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Welcome, players. No tricks for you today, only treats. You'll find them on the board. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round, with one Daily Double awaiting you in one of these categories.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WHAT HAPPENED WHEN? (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BUSINESS PAIRINGS (4/5)
FACTS & FIGURES (5/5)
VOLCANOES (5/5)
FOREWORDS (5/5)
AFTER WORDS (2/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Patrick: 12 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Anand: 7 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Byron: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Anand: $2,800
Byron: $2,000
Patrick: $1,800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Byron Merrill is a network engineer, one-time Navy flier. F-14s?

Byron: Yes, out of college I joined the Navy, went through officer training, and then on to flight school. And after flight school did get to join an active duty F-14 Tomcat squadron.

Alex: Wow. Great!

Alex: Patrick Theobald is from Nashville, Tennessee. Met his wife in an unusual way. Because you didn't pay attention in church?

Patrick: True story. So I spent most of the summer before I finally got up the courage to introduce myself checking her out during church instead of paying attention. Her mother-in-law's advice to her was, "Wear the red dress that makes you look nice, and sit in front of him." And it worked.

[Laughter]

Alex: I love it.

Alex: Anand Kandaswamy is our champion. He's an economist and also, I guess, a pizza lover. You waited in line how long?

Anand: It was, I think, two to two and a half hours, in Naples, which is the birthplace of pizza, for what is supposed to be the best pizza in the world. And of course, when I get there, I finally get the pizza, it is way too hot. They don't give it to you on a plate, they kind of give it to you on a platter, and you put it on a napkin. And I dropped the entire pizza, so after two and a half hours...

[Groans from the audience]

Alex: And did you have to go line up again?

Anand: No, no. I think they're used to, like, American idiots.

Alex: Don't call yourself an American idiot.

Anand: Okay.

Alex: That's my job.

[Laughter]

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Patrick found the Daily Double on the 18th clue. Anand had $2,800, Patrick had $2,200, and Byron was at $2,200. Patrick wagered $1,800.

WHAT HAPPENED WHEN? $600: Discovered by Clyde Tombaugh in 1930, it got a big demotion in 2006

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BUSINESS PAIRINGS $1000: "Purveyors of fine food":
____ & DeLuca

WHAT HAPPENED WHEN? $1000: In 1810 Napoleon, divorced from Josephine, married this archduchess with whom he would have a son
(Anand: Who is Marie-Therese?)

AFTER WORDS $600: urbandictionary.com defines this 4-letter word meaning "in the near future" as "when we feel like it"

AFTER WORDS $800: This 2-word Latin phrase translates as "after this" but is generally used to mean "done with hindsight"

AFTER WORDS $1000: Without a direct object, this verb can mean "to win"; with one, it can mean "to replace someone in a position"
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Patrick: $5,800
Anand: $3,200
Byron: $3,200
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
GREAT BOOKS OF SCIENCE (5/5)
CUBAN FOOD & DRINK (2/3)
ART (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WORD TO THE Y_Ys (4/5)
FILMS OF THE 1960s (4/5)
NOBEL PEACE PRIZE NOMINEES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: Not winners.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Anand: 13 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
Byron: 6 R, 0 W
Patrick: 3 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Anand snagged the next Daily Double on the 7th clue. Anand had $6,800, Patrick had $5,800, and Byron was at $4,800. Anand wagered $3,200.

ART $1200: In 2013 one of his black-&-white paintings of a Coca-Cola bottle sold at auction for over $57 million

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Anand who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 21st clue. Anand had $12,400, Patrick had $9,800, and Byron was at $6,400. Anand wagered $2,600.

NOBEL PEACE PRIZE NOMINEES $1600: Many attempts to get this man the award for creating the Boy Scouts were unsuccessful

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FILMS OF THE 1960s $1600: British pop singer Lulu had a small role in this 1967 film & also sang the title song

ART $1600: Though he appears more to be smiling, the man in the Franz Hals painting is portrayed as this cavalier

ART $2000: One of this British sculptor's large reclining figures can be seen in a reflecting pool at Lincoln Center

WORD TO THE Y_Ys $2000: This word is in the title of Garson Kanin's play about Billie Dawn, the seemingly dumb blonde mistress of a junk tycoon
(Alex: The play is called Born [*][/i]. [*] is the word.)

CUBAN FOOD & DRINK $800: Legend says a toast celebrating the end of the Spanish-American war gave this rum & Coke drink its name

NOBEL PEACE PRIZE NOMINEES $2000: More than a dozen people, including Albert Schweitzer, nominated this cellist
(Patrick: Who is Yo-Yo Ma?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Anand: $21,000 (lock game)
Patrick: $7,800
Byron: $6,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LETTER PERFECT

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; three-quarters for second place.
Anand: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $5,399 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Patrick: Wager $5,801 to cover Byron.
Byron: Risk between $1,001 and $4,800, covering Patrick's $0 bet.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
George Eastman called it "a strong, incisive sort of letter"

FINAL SCORES
Byron: $6,800 + $1,001 = $7,801 (What is K?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Patrick: $7,800 + $7,000 = $14,800 (What is K Hi kids!) (2nd place: $2,000)
Anand: $21,000 + $1,000 = $22,000 (What is K) (3-day champion: $57,001)
(Alex: [To Byron] George Eastman started Kodak. You are right. [*] is a funny letter.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $14,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Anand: $18,000, 20 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Byron: $6,800, 12 R, 0 W
Patrick: $6,600, 15 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Combined Coryat: $31,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Anand: 21/60 = .350
Patrick: 16/59 = .271
Byron: 13/58 = .224
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
FOREWORDS $600: Ang Lee writes that in this film Heath Ledger "makes the audience feel the emotions that his character cannot express"
(Patrick: What is The Dark Knight?)

FOREWORDS $800: In a foreword to "The Big Bands", this legendary singer said, "My greatest teacher was...Tommy Dorsey...on the trombone"
(Patrick: Who is Benny Goodman?)

WHAT HAPPENED WHEN? $200: On December 17, 1992, this agreement was signed by the leaders of three countries

AFTER WORDS $200: Another term for trailers in the cinema are these "attractions"
(Patrick: What are previews?)

VOLCANOES $1000: Almost a perfect cone, Mount Mayon on this largest Philippine island is the nation's most active volcano

ART $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a painting on the monitor.) In one of his Vatican palace frescoes, called "Parnassus", Raphael celebrated poets both ancient and more recent, with Apollo and the Muses in the center, and in the group here, Dante and Virgil, behind the back of this blind bard

ART $400: Ponder this--"Le Penseur" is the French name for this famous sculpture
(Alex: Rodin.)

CUBAN FOOD & DRINK $400: The snack called tostones is double-fried green these banana relatives

NOBEL PEACE PRIZE NOMINEES $400: This woman overcame blindness & deafness to be nominated 4 times in the 1950s
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

GREAT BOOKS OF SCIENCE $800: 1632's "Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems" got him in trouble with the Catholic church

CORRECT RESPONSES
Pluto
Dean
Marie-Louise
soon
post hoc
succeed
Andy Warhol
(Lord Baden-)Powell
To Sir, With Love
The Laughing Cavalier
Henry Moore
yesterday
a Cuba libre
Pablo Casals
K
Brokeback Mountain
Frank Sinatra
NAFTA
coming attractions
Luzon
Homer
The Thinker
plantains
Helen Keller
Galileo
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LETTER PERFECT

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
George Eastman called it “a strong, incisive sort of letter”

Anand Kandaswamy: 21000+1000=22000 (3x = $57,001)
Patrick Theobald: 7800+7000=14800
Byron Merrill: 6800+1001=7801

Correct response:
Spoiler
K

Daily Doubles
Patrick: 2200+1800
Anand: 6800+3200
Anand: 12400+2600

Coryats
Anand: 18000
Patrick: 6600
Byron: 6800

Combined: 31,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Anand: 3200
Patrick: 5800
Byron: 3200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

DD3: Many attempts to get this man the award for creating the Boy Scouts were unsuccessful

Anand: Who is Powell?
Alex: We’ll accept that. Lord Baden-Powell

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1891

EMINENT VICTORIANS $600: This Boy Scout founder commanded observation balloons during wars in Sudan & Bechuanaland
(T: Who is Powell?)
(Alex: No...we can't accept that!)

I guess judging rulings change after 20 years?
Any run of a DJ! category is a great accomplishment so well done by Anand in GREAT BOOKS OF SCIENCE to close the round.

Not a great job by the contestants was making Alex provide the Lulu song/movie.

The FJ! clue was another of those knucklehead solves for me. Eastman = photography and I wrote F on my paper thinking about f-stops. Next I thought about Rochester starting and ending with R. From there it finally clicked what letter I needed. Nothing wrong with a solve under five seconds except it took about 4.5 seconds too long.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

LT: Soon. Instagot FJ. I was surprised at the accepted of Powell for Baden-Powell; is there a specific provision for hyphenated names in the rulebook? (Edit: Just saw the post above.)

With the announcement of the TOC set in stone, I'd have to imagine it's most likely that Anand doesn't win exactly five games.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:00 pm With the announcement of the TOC set in stone, I'd have to imagine it's most likely that Anand doesn't win exactly five games.
Regardless of that announcement, it's still rather unlikely at this point. First up, he has to win exactly 5. My projection model puts him winning exactly 5 at 14.52%. Then, he needs another $46,902 in those two wins (the chances of that: About 30% - an average of $40,174 is won in consecutive games, standard deviation $12,917.)

Multiply those two things together, and you would have a 4.374% chance.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:13 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:00 pm With the announcement of the TOC set in stone, I'd have to imagine it's most likely that Anand doesn't win exactly five games.
Regardless of that announcement, it's still rather unlikely at this point. First up, he has to win exactly 5. My projection model puts him winning exactly 5 at 14.52%. Then, he needs another $46,902 in those two wins (the chances of that: About 30% - an average of $40,174 is won in consecutive games, standard deviation $12,917.)

His seeming penchant for conservative wagering would support this.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:22 pm

Another scenario is the Catherine Hardee one. Anand wins tomorrow and loses on Thursday. That's only four wins, so clearly not qualified for the 2017 TOC. His totals instead hold up for the 2019 (or even 2018 if the powers so decide) TOC and he gets an invite.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:24 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:22 pm

Another scenario is the Catherine Hardee one. Anand wins tomorrow and loses on Thursday. That's only four wins, so clearly not qualified for the 2017 TOC. His totals instead hold up for the 2019 (or even 2018 if the powers so decide) TOC and he gets an invite.
Very true. Though I would hope that with the ToC having a sponsor (hooray for Consumer Cellular!), we might see it happen more frequently.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The Boy Scouts guy’s birth name was Robert Powell. His father was Baden Powell. I didn’t see in his Wiki article when he altered his surname.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_ ... den-Powell

FJ was a fairly quick solve, no idea what else it could be.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

That's got to be the greatest difference in the length of FJ answers over two days. Task for resident search expert.

That went from a close game to a runaway in a hurry after the last DD.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I had Kodak to "What is K?" rather quickly, but when my GF revealed her answer of "What is F?" for F-stop, I felt like her answer was better than mine - glad I never considered it!
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I thought that clue about Frank Sinatra was going to be about Johnny Gilbert instead. J-Archive shows that they just ask about the TV shows he's been a part of, and have not asked about his hits.
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

insta-get final.
i graduated university of rochester in 1970. george eastman, both before and after his suicide, was a major donor to the school. his home, including an astounding collection of movies and movie memorabilia, was given to the school upon his death. the curator of the eastman house is a professor of fine arts. the two best courses i ever took were art history classes, AH107 and AH108; the first was a history of silent movies, and the second was a history of talkies. because the two courses were so popular, you *had* to be a senior to get into them! both courses included three classes per week at the eastman house, and were comprised of a one-hour lecture and two or three hours of screening.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

Stumbled into FJ by accident- I NHO the guy, but remembered hearing that K is the funniest letter so guessed maybe he was a comedian.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I always thought Eastman had an early partner named Mr. Kodak. Never knew it was a made-up word.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:55 pm The Boy Scouts guy’s birth name was Robert Powell. His father was Baden Powell. I didn’t see in his Wiki article when he altered his surname.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_ ... den-Powell
Nice! I assumed they shouldn't have given Anand credit. But with this info, I think they were mistaken to neg Powell in 1997.

As to hyphenated last names in general, they have accepted just Dreyfus for Julia Louis-Dreyfus. This caused the archivists to issue one of their very rare errata notices. (See the $800 clue under SHE WAS IN THAT?)
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

39 right.

Happened (3), Business (2), Facts (5), Volcanoes (4), Foreword (4), After (2)
Science (4), Cuban (1), Art (2), Y_Ys (4), Films of the 1960's (5), Nobel Peace (3)

Lach Trash: To Sir, with Love

Not an instaget, but I felt good about my guess of K.

I guessed Sinatra quickly because I knew that he sang on Tommy Dorsey and His Orchestra's version of "I'll Never Smile Again", a song from 1940 that became Billboard's first ever No. 1 single.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Could someone send me a link to the episode or something. ABC7 didn't air the episode.
Douglas Squasoni
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:20 pm Eastman = photography and I wrote F on my paper thinking about f-stops.
That's all I ever considered. Oops.