Thursday, November 2, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Thursday, November 2, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Bamaman »

I had no idea that was a picture of Brando. I got it from the clue about an offer he refused and the Indian princess mention.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Leander wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:51 pm Surprised no one recognized Brando.

I immediately knew LBJ had held all the posts and Andrew held at least two, so I didn’t bother with further analysis.
Process of elimination got me there. "Not Bush, not Harrison, not Adams, not Roosevelt..."
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
threearruda
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by threearruda »

Presidents is a major strong suit of mine, but I still only pulled FJ around the 28th second and just scratched it down in time. I personally read into the clue too much and then had a "Duh!" moment when I figured it out. I see where this clue can be simple and where it can be hard if you aren't familiar with the category. Curious to see the poll results this weekend.
squarekara wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:03 pm Very sorry to see so many clues go unplayed for the sake of the time-consuming "Entertainment Tonight" category. I felt the contestants were shortchanged their due game time.

Loving that various media outlets have picked up Kelvin's story. While most people were dreading that "awkward chitchat" moment, he stated firmly that he was "looking forward to it." He was a man on a mission, and mission accomplished!
This. I'll never understand why contestants don't go to the sponsored/guest narrated categories immediately - while time consuming, they usually aren't that difficult (I went 4/5 with the $1000 miss in today's ET category) and are more likely to ensure that all clues get played in DJ! where more money can be gained. In any case, I'd much rather see guest presenters than herbs.. but... Alas. I'm afraid they'll never learn. How many more days until the ToC again? :D

Read Kelvin's story as well before the game and he was easy to root for. Just couldn't seem to figure out the buzzer, looks like. I appreciated his DD hunting and going to the ET and baseball categories when given the chance. Showed he was there to win!

Not a fan of Jenny's $1,000 DD wager. I can understand not being confident in the category... in which case bet maybe just a couple bucks, and I do also realize that she would've lost the lead having tried for the lock.. but still. It's a middle row clue, they spot you the first letter, you have a good knowledge base, and Alex has given the minute warning. At least milk the clock and try and force Monica into a crush or something. Easy for me to say, though. Congrats to our new champ.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Kelvin had my rooting interests given that I was also diagnosed with Asperger's around the same age.

Having the wrong witch cost me the run on the ET category.

Wonder what $400 would've been in Baseball Records?

Lach Trash: Marlon Brando, Tone Loc, director's chair, library, The Boys of Summer, Centerfield
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:12 pm I had no idea that was a picture of Brando. I got it from the clue about an offer he refused and the Indian princess mention.
I think I would've recognized the picture on its own, but I'm not sure. Like you I'd already solved the clue two different ways by the time the pic showed up. This was almost as overdone as
Spoiler
the Muscle Beach governor clue last Friday.
Really surprised none of the three could put it together.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

georgetrev wrote: That was some awful FJ betting.
Huh?
zerobandwidth wrote:He did even had a bit of momentum in DJ!, and was still well in contention in FJ!.
He was $1000 short if having a realistic chance to win if Jenny knows how to wager, which she demonstrated aptly in her first game.
He did make a savvy defensive wager to sneek into 2nd place in the event both he and Monica got it wrong.
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

georgetrev wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:00 pm Man, those were some brutal rounds for me.

That was some awful FJ betting.

Lach Trash: Tone Loc, "Centerfield", "The Boys Of Summer"
Your listing of the Lach Trash confirms we were watching the same game, even though your second sentence still makes me wonder, as I completely fail to see what was "terrible" about any of the three bets, to be honest.
Andy Saunders
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

threearruda wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:24 pm I'll never understand why contestants don't go to the sponsored/guest narrated categories immediately - while time consuming, they usually aren't that difficult (I went 4/5 with the $1000 miss in today's ET category) and are more likely to ensure that all clues get played in DJ! where more money can be gained. In any case, I'd much rather see guest presenters than herbs.. but... Alas. I'm afraid they'll never learn. How many more days until the ToC again? :D
Actually, the best strategy is to save the guest category for last: if you do it first it still takes time away from the game. But, since they are contractually obligated to show all the guest clues, as they paid money for the actors etc. to do them, they can’t end the game until all those clues are done. So if all the non guest clues are done, leaving only clues that have to all be shown: boom. 30 clues completed.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wonder what $400 would've been in Baseball Records?

Lach Trash: Marlon Brando, Tone Loc, director's chair, library, The Boys of Summer, Centerfield
A certain Meat Loaf song comes to mind.

I had the same lach trash, with the exception of Tone Loc and library.
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

dhkendall wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:42 pm Actually, the best strategy is to save the guest category for last: if you do it first it still takes time away from the game. But, since they are contractually obligated to show all the guest clues, as they paid money for the actors etc. to do them, they can’t end the game until all those clues are done. So if all the non guest clues are done, leaving only clues that have to all be shown: boom. 30 clues completed.
But the OP's point is that the "best" strategy is one that results in the most $ clues being seen.

I would say that the "best" strategy is situational. There would be times where I'd play that category straight out of the gate. There would be times where I'd play that category last.
Andy Saunders
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Baseball is a wheelhouse category for me so I was slightly disappointed in the nature of that particular category, although I still did okay with what clues did appear.

I'll probably be okay if I never hear Centerfield again. One summer when I was in between jobs, I stocked shelves at Walmart overnight and that song was on the music loop.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

sims wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:01 pm Didn't get final. I guessed Adams because I knew that JQA became a congressman (?) after his presidency and held a bunch of positions so that's what I based it on.
JQA had 3 of the 4: he was a Senator first, then President, and finally a Representative.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I seem to have not been alone in being unable to sift through this clue because of how many words were packed into it.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:09 pmI'll probably be okay if I never hear Centerfield again. One summer when I was in between jobs, I stocked shelves at Walmart overnight and that song was on the music loop.
It came on at the place I was eating lunch today, and I remarked to my dining companion, "They should take this out of the rotation after the end of the World Series."
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:50 pm Tone Lōc in 2017 for those songs is a bottom box and I was surprised I could not find a previous hit in the Archive. He has to be in some unarchived games as those songs were well known back in the day.
Amusing Tone Loc trivia: when Ace Ventura: Pet Detective was released, he was considered the star draw in the film. (Yes, even over Marino.)

FJ went pretty fast. Instantly ruled out Bush and Harrison, Adams took a beat then landed on Johnson. (Amusingly, Roosevelt never even entered consideration to be rejected)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

(I also noticed he was the first to lead the applause for the new champ, something I might not've expected from someone with Asperger's. Way to change my thinking, Kelvin!
As a person who has Asperger's and works at a place that provides services to the autistic, I could not have been more proud of Kelvin. I was also proud of the applause he got from the audience, which had to be encouraging. As for leading the applause, there are indeed many on the spectrum who might not have done such a thing, but there's always one "Aspy" who can surprise you.

Kelvin, if you're reading this, WAY TO GO!
BKavett
Contributor

Post by BKavett »

Knew Theodosia was Aaron Burr's daughter immediately (thanks "Hamilton" musical!)

Why in the world did Alex say Clinton was "not a bad guess" for FJ!? That was a terrible guess! Just naming any random President would be just as good!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

BKavett wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:12 pm Knew Theodosia was Aaron Burr's daughter immediately (thanks "Hamilton" musical!)

Why in the world did Alex say Clinton was "not a bad guess" for FJ!? That was a terrible guess! Just naming any random President would be just as good!
I would hazard a guess that Alex was being extra careful not to do anything that would embarrass Kelvin. Kelvin already knew that the answer was incorrect, so what purpose would it serve to let him know how egregiously wrong it was? I'm sure that he figured that out on his own anyway.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

BKavett wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:12 pm Knew Theodosia was Aaron Burr's daughter immediately (thanks "Hamilton" musical!)

I got Burr because they said "ex–vice president"; given 1813, I was pretty sure there was only one ex-VP at that time who wasn't also an ex-president. I was wrong, as George Clinton died the previous year, but it worked for me. And George Clinton is why "Clinton" was a better guess than any random president.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Count me among the infuriated by the Entertainment Tonight category.

I get that CBS Television, which distributes both ET and Jeopardy! in the US, wants these promos, but that was just too much.

They tried to hide the fact that it ruined the game's timing by shuttling off the lost clues to DJ, but it doesn't change anything.

Alex has mentioned at least three times now this season that he wants to get through the entire board, but we know and he knows it's out of his control. If you put a stopwatch to this show, it probably was the shortest DJ in Jeopardy! history.

At least it was a single-solve FJ, so it likely didn't affect the outcome. Imagine if this had been a power game with two TOC-level players.