Maintaining Confidentiality of Who Has Won on Jeopardy!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: Maintaining Confidentiality of Who Has Won on Jeopardy!

Post by triviawayne »

Wheatley wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:21 pm A coworker told me that her husband “brought multiple outfits and needed them.” Noe I’m glad I didn’t repeat that to anyone.
Maybe the producers didn't like the one he intended to wear for his first and only show? I'm guessing this isn't the case though, but could happen.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Wheatley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Wheatley »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:50 pm
Wheatley wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:21 pm A coworker told me that her husband “brought multiple outfits and needed them.” Noe I’m glad I didn’t repeat that to anyone.
Maybe the producers didn't like the one he intended to wear for his first and only show? I'm guessing this isn't the case though, but could happen.
. Nah, this a while ago - the episodes in question aired years ago, but he was in fact on for 3 days I think.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I think any contractual power the producers have is far outweighed by the general apathy studio audiences have when it comes to game outcomes. The studio audience is usually asked not to reveal game outcomes but it's not like they're under some kind of enforceable NDA. If there was anything to be gained by spoiling games, audience members would do it. Only once did that ever result in any kind of major spoilage (with Ken Jennings game 75), and in that case the official marketing kind of rendered the unauthorized spoilage moot (as I recall there was a lot of "Hey fans, watch the show tonight because a certain big thing could happen").

I understand that, in an indirect way, Alex himself has been the source of certain leaks, when he has discussed recently concluded streaks with the studio audience during the commercial break Q&A sessions.
sims
Valued Contributor

Post by sims »

zerobandwidth wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:22 am

Someone on Reddit did mention that he had seen the end of Austin's run and gave a few details that, in retrospect, definitely described Scarlett's dominant performance. But even that poster didn't mention which game, or Scarlett's name. Half-scrupled, then, I guess.

That post was deleted almost immediately though. I saw that it had been made, but didn't even see what he said... if we're thinking of the same one.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The spoiler I hated was at J!'s hands with photos from the 1999 TOC showing the finalists in a game play setting.

One to watch out for involves wrap party photos as contestants dressed nicely compared to others in casual clothes can differentiate between final 9 and eliminated 6. That's more a social media thing.

The recent event on J! that was teased with a promo for not having happened in decades was figured out ahead of time.
rmfromfla

Post by rmfromfla »

Or the one promo from Brian Weikle's semifinal in the 2003 TOC showing the final scores. :shock:
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:07 pm One to watch out for involves wrap party photos as contestants dressed nicely compared to others in casual clothes can differentiate between final 9 and eliminated 6. That's more a social media thing.
Contestant guests were told not to post wrap party photos on social media yet, mainly because of Austin.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

It does happen, but the frequency is unknown. One of the competitors during my week had to change before the show because the producers noticed a problem with a moire pattern after the Hometown Howdies were shot. I don't know how many people, if any, noticed the difference between the Hometown Howdy and the game appearance.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

AFRET CMS wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:12 pm
It does happen, but the frequency is unknown. One of the competitors during my week had to change before the show because the producers noticed a problem with a moire pattern after the Hometown Howdies were shot. I don't know how many people, if any, noticed the difference between the Hometown Howdy and the game appearance.
And here I am thinking, "unrecoverable accident at craft services." The spaghetti sauce, it was -everywhere-!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

harrumph wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:37 am Isn't the show's website known to spoil results "indirectly" (they don't announce the winner but if you add 1 + 1 you know the results).
I remember one tournament where the results for quarterfinal games marked who would get wild card berths before the week was completed.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Now that I think about it, I remember a promo that aired before the last of the six quarterfinal UToC games aired that spoiled Jerome Vered as the winner of the last of those games. I didn't see it, but several posters on the old Sony board said that they did.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

The last time I was in suspense about a Ken Jennings outcome was roughly game #13. Someone on another board said "spoiler ahead" or some such (but not the html kind. Maybe it hadn't been invented yet). Anyway, I blundered into 38 wins, and then by the time the second season began, it was hard to avoid (if you were into the message board at the time) the information that he would lose after 74. My father didn't really pay attention to the show, but he did know in advance what that particular FJ was about.

Ok, so that was Ken Jennings (long streak=great chance for spoilage). It was in the papers the day of Eddie Timanus's fifth game that he would be a five-day winner. I got the impression that ABC itself was playing it up for ratings. That annoyed me. The three-way tie result was deduced by many from the clues dropped in the media, which rather overestimated the excitement of the event. But, going slightly afield now.
I'm smart and I want respect.
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

StevenH wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:16 pm Now that I think about it, I remember a promo that aired before the last of the six quarterfinal UToC games aired that spoiled Jerome Vered as the winner of the last of those games. I didn't see it, but several posters on the old Sony board said that they did.
I never saw it
Not to say I was surprised.
Lore
Valued Contributor

Post by Lore »

In an article about the current ToC on the Jeopardy website they may have given away some wildcard spots by including a picture of Austin, Tim and Buzzy behind the podiums.

They did jump the gun by posting about the recent $1 win.

There have been times when a new contestant with the same given name as the champion are listed in the same week.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Lore wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:42 pm There have been times when a new contestant with the same given name as the champion are listed in the same week.
Granted, I don’t think most non-board or fans of the show have figured out the rule that same-names can’t play against each other. (I know it never occurred to me until I joined).

That would be what I’d call an “unavoidable spoiler”.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

dhkendall wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:58 pm
Lore wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:42 pm There have been times when a new contestant with the same given name as the champion are listed in the same week.
Granted, I don’t think most non-board or fans of the show have figured out the rule that same-names can’t play against each other. (I know it never occurred to me until I joined).

Just got me wondering how many poor bastards named Ken showed up at the studio in 2004 but had to be punted.

(I recall he said in his book that it did happen to a friend of his, but I don't think the friend's name was Ken.)
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

His friend's name was Matt Bruce.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

Volante wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:56 pm And here I am thinking, "unrecoverable accident at craft services." The spaghetti sauce, it was -everywhere-!
That would be me, and the ranch dressing on my salad, but fortunately that was after my game. :lol:
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:24 pm His friend's name was Matt Bruce.
Meow
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

dhkendall wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:58 pm

This happened with Matt Jackson. His last week, there was a different Matt listed as a contestant for that Friday's game.