2017 TOC Wild Card Standings thread (SPOILERS-Game 5 posted)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 8471
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

2017 TOC Wild Card Standings thread (SPOILERS-Game 5 posted)

Post by Bamaman » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:50 pm

This thread will keep track of the wild cards for this year’s TOC. As always, comments and predictions are welcome. But please do not make any comments about a game you have seen until the results are posted here.
Last edited by Bamaman on Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Complete the List champion, Episode 12.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 8471
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: 2017 TOC Wild Card Standings thread

Post by Bamaman » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:56 pm

Automatic semi-finalists
1. Buzzy Cohen: $16,400+$13,600=$30,000
2. Jason Sterlacci: $18,800+$4,200=$23,000
3. Alan Lin: $19,605+$5=$19,610
4. Lisa Schlitt: $14,400+$1,000=$15,400
5. Andrew Pau: $26,800+$2,200=$29,000

Wild Cards
1. Pranjal Vachaspati: $15,000+$1,401=$16,401 (Game 1)
2. Austin Rogers: $8,000+$8,000=$16,000 (Game 3)
3. Lilly Chin: $12,800-$800=$12,000 (Game 2)
4. Tim Aten: $14,000-$2,500=$11,500 (Game 2)
5. Justin Vossler: $16,000-$7,000=$9,000 (Game 5)
6. Sam Deutsch: $12,400-$4,200=8200 (Game 4)
7. Seth Wilson: $9,900-$4,501=$5,399 (Game 4)
8. Hunter Appler: $1,400+$0=$1,400 (Game 1)
9. David Clemmons: $1,400-$1,400=$0 (Game 3)
10. Jon Eisenman: $3,800-3,800=$0 (Game 5)

Final Jeopardy:
SpoilerShow
1. The 1812 Overture
2. Lesotho
3. Lord Byron
4, Washington
5. George Cross
Last edited by Bamaman on Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Complete the List champion, Episode 12.

User avatar
triviawayne
On the Diving Board, Ready to Jump In
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: 2017 TOC Wild Card Standings thread (Game 1 posted)

Post by triviawayne » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:43 pm

Can this headline reflect the fact there are spoilers—would’ve liked not to click in here and see results prior to 7pm eastern when I wouldn’t normally expect not to see results
Total game show career losings = $171,522

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 8471
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: 2017 TOC Wild Card Standings thread (Game 1 posted)

Post by Bamaman » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:51 pm

triviawayne wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:43 pm
Can this headline reflect the fact there are spoilers—would’ve liked not to click in here and see results prior to 7pm eastern when I wouldn’t normally expect not to see results
My apologies. It did say Game 1 was posted. But I have added the spoiler tag to make it more clear.

I change the thread title just before posting the daily results to show the latest game posted. The time will vary depending when I am able to see the game. Hopefully it will be no later than 6:00 EST.
Complete the List champion, Episode 12.

User avatar
triviawayne
On the Diving Board, Ready to Jump In
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: 2017 TOC Wild Card Standings thread (Game 1 posted)

Post by triviawayne » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:57 pm

Bamaman wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:51 pm
triviawayne wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:43 pm
Can this headline reflect the fact there are spoilers—would’ve liked not to click in here and see results prior to 7pm eastern when I wouldn’t normally expect not to see results
My apologies. It did say Game 1 was posted. But I have added the spoiler tag to make it more clear.

I change the thread title just before posting the daily results to show the latest game posted. The time will vary depending when I am able to see the game. Hopefully it will be no later than 6:00 EST.
I thought it was a placeholder like the daily discussion.
Total game show career losings = $171,522

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 8471
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: 2017 TOC Wild Card Standings thread (SPOILERS-Game 3 posted)

Post by Bamaman » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:01 pm

Game 3 is in the books, which of course means we see our first two eliminations. Sorry, to see you go, Hunter and David, but you will always be Jeopardy champions.

Looking forward, I'd say Lily and Tim will have a nervous time during the lunch break. Even Austin and Prajal aren't totally safe. Players landing in the 8-10 thousand range who feel the need to bet it all (which they should, though they don't know that) could spell doom for our leaders.
Complete the List champion, Episode 12.

User avatar
Ironhorse
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:21 pm
Location: Cass County, Missouri

Re: 2017 TOC Wild Card Standings thread (SPOILERS-Game 3 posted)

Post by Ironhorse » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:10 pm

I know contestants are sequestered prior to their appearance; are they allowed to watch subsequent filmings in the same
round? Even if so, I'd imagine they wouldn't have knowledge of scores prior to their own appearance.
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4150
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: 2017 TOC Wild Card Standings thread (SPOILERS-Game 3 posted)

Post by jeff6286 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:26 pm

Ironhorse wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:10 pm
I know contestants are sequestered prior to their appearance; are they allowed to watch subsequent filmings in the same
round? Even if so, I'd imagine they wouldn't have knowledge of scores prior to their own appearance.
Everyone who has played does watch from the audience. I would imagine in at least some cases, there could be whispered communication and they could find out from the previous players who has posted what scores and where everyone stands.

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1388
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:27 pm

Re: 2017 TOC Wild Card Standings thread (SPOILERS-Game 3 posted)

Post by Golf » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:45 pm

jeff6286 wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:26 pm
Everyone who has played does watch from the audience. I would imagine in at least some cases, there could be whispered communication and they could find out from the previous players who has posted what scores and where everyone stands.
No no no no no no no.

No.

User avatar
OntarioQuizzer
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 748
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:01 am

Re: 2017 TOC Wild Card Standings thread (SPOILERS-Game 3 posted)

Post by OntarioQuizzer » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:50 pm

jeff6286 wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:26 pm
Ironhorse wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:10 pm
I know contestants are sequestered prior to their appearance; are they allowed to watch subsequent filmings in the same
round? Even if so, I'd imagine they wouldn't have knowledge of scores prior to their own appearance.
Everyone who has played does watch from the audience. I would imagine in at least some cases, there could be whispered communication and they could find out from the previous players who has posted what scores and where everyone stands.
Come on, Jeff, you're smarter than this.
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - The Jeopardy! Fan

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 8471
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: 2017 TOC Wild Card Standings thread (SPOILERS-Game 3 posted)

Post by Bamaman » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:03 pm

Maybe I misread what he said, but I took him to say the Game 3 people could learn the first two game scores once they got to the audience after their game was over.
Complete the List champion, Episode 12.

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4150
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: 2017 TOC Wild Card Standings thread (SPOILERS-Game 3 posted)

Post by jeff6286 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:06 pm

Yes, the question was about players watching games after they have played. I'm talking about the players in the audience. After the Wednesday game, Wednesday's players are sitting in the crowd with Monday and Tuesday's players. The players on stage would need to be kept be unaware, hence the whispering.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 7152
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: 2017 TOC Wild Card Standings thread (SPOILERS-Game 3 posted)

Post by MarkBarrett » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:45 pm

So that I am understanding the discussion there are two sides:

A: QF players after their game do not know the WC cutoff scores until after QF5.
B: QF non-winners know where they stand for the WC cutoff once they complete their game.

I'm on Team B as Alex will let players know where they stand in a general sense during the closing chat. In the audience with fellow players whether through whispers or written notes the players who have competed in QF games do know where they stand prior to the final 9 being announced.

We have enough tournament players on this board who can share their experience.

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4150
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: 2017 TOC Wild Card Standings thread (SPOILERS-Game 3 posted)

Post by jeff6286 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:51 pm

While we're on the subject of the sequestering, does anyone know what the lunch arrangements are? 4 players who have not played yet (and an alternate, I presume) would have to be kept away from the rest of the group. I would imagine having the two groups on opposite ends of the commissary is not sufficient. My best guess is that maybe the lunch is brought to the green room for the 5 who are still under lockdown?

User avatar
MarkBarrett
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 7152
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: 2017 TOC Wild Card Standings thread (SPOILERS-Game 3 posted)

Post by MarkBarrett » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:55 pm

jeff6286 wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:51 pm
While we're on the subject of the sequestering, does anyone know what the lunch arrangements are? 4 players who have not played yet (and an alternate, I presume) would have to be kept away from the rest of the group. I would imagine having the two groups on opposite ends of the commissary is not sufficient. My best guess is that maybe the lunch is brought to the green room for the 5 who are still under lockdown?
I'm sure I've read about green room lunch for that situation. Do you want to count the players again?

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4150
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: 2017 TOC Wild Card Standings thread (SPOILERS-Game 3 posted)

Post by jeff6286 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:13 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:55 pm
jeff6286 wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:51 pm
While we're on the subject of the sequestering, does anyone know what the lunch arrangements are? 4 players who have not played yet (and an alternate, I presume) would have to be kept away from the rest of the group. I would imagine having the two groups on opposite ends of the commissary is not sufficient. My best guess is that maybe the lunch is brought to the green room for the 5 who are still under lockdown?
I'm sure I've read about green room lunch for that situation. Do you want to count the players again?
oops, lol, I guess there are no defending champions in Tournament QF, I may need to visit the TPH math thread.

User avatar
Fleeboy
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:57 am

Re: 2017 TOC Wild Card Standings thread (SPOILERS-Game 3 posted)

Post by Fleeboy » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:16 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:45 pm
So that I am understanding the discussion there are two sides:

A: QF players after their game do not know the WC cutoff scores until after QF5.
B: QF non-winners know where they stand for the WC cutoff once they complete their game.

I'm on Team B as Alex will let players know where they stand in a general sense during the closing chat. In the audience with fellow players whether through whispers or written notes the players who have competed in QF games do know where they stand prior to the final 9 being announced.

We have enough tournament players on this board who can share their experience.


In 2001, it was Team B, and lunch in the green room. I can't remember if the alternates (there were two that year) were still sequestered at that point; I suspect so.
Last edited by Fleeboy on Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
OntarioQuizzer
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 748
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:01 am

Re: 2017 TOC Wild Card Standings thread (SPOILERS-Game 3 posted)

Post by OntarioQuizzer » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:16 pm

Clearly I (and apparently Golf) read that differently. Oops.
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - The Jeopardy! Fan

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1388
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:27 pm

Re: 2017 TOC Wild Card Standings thread (SPOILERS-Game 3 posted)

Post by Golf » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:26 pm

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:16 pm
Clearly I (and apparently Golf) read that differently. Oops.
Well, read the sequential posting. After going over it repeatedly, how could we not jump to that conclusion especially focusing on the bolded immediately before the apparently misunderstood statement.
Ironhorse wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:10 pm
I know contestants are sequestered prior to their appearance; are they allowed to watch subsequent filmings in the same
round? Even if so, I'd imagine they wouldn't have knowledge of scores prior to their own appearance.
jeff6286 wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:26 pm
Everyone who has played does watch from the audience. I would imagine in at least some cases, there could be whispered communication and they could find out from the previous players who has posted what scores and where everyone stands.
Regardless, FJ wagering in QF games can be gut-wrenching.

User avatar
Ironhorse
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:21 pm
Location: Cass County, Missouri

Re: 2017 TOC Wild Card Standings thread (SPOILERS-Game 3 posted)

Post by Ironhorse » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:28 pm

Golf wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:26 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:16 pm
Clearly I (and apparently Golf) read that differently. Oops.
Well, read the sequential posting. After going over it repeatedly, how could we not jump to that conclusion especially focusing on the bolded immediately before the apparently misunderstood statement.
Ironhorse wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:10 pm
I know contestants are sequestered prior to their appearance; are they allowed to watch subsequent filmings in the same
round? Even if so, I'd imagine they wouldn't have knowledge of scores prior to their own appearance.
jeff6286 wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:26 pm
Everyone who has played does watch from the audience. I would imagine in at least some cases, there could be whispered communication and they could find out from the previous players who has posted what scores and where everyone stands.
Regardless, FJ wagering in QF games can be gut-wrenching.
I now realize the ambiguity in what I posted. I meant "knowledge of scores (from) prior to their own appearance" but didn't word it well.
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cmac24, zerobandwidth and 28 guests