Tuesday, November 7, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Re: Tuesday, November 7, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by DBear »

huh, Kingdom + Tropic of Capricorn = Lesotho for me. Swaziland wasn't even on my radar.
The Talking Mime
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by The Talking Mime »

Surprisingly, I got this FJ, since FJ clues about geography have never been a particular strength of mine. The last two Tournaments of Champions (is that the correct plural?), I went a combined 3/20, so another get this week will equal my total from the last two years combined. I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I like how much I've progressed over the past few years.

I gotta give credit to Lilly and Tim, I didn't think they'd have that strong a chance against Jason but they proved me wrong. However, considering the strength of this year's field, I wouldn't be surprised if one of or both their scores won't be enough for a wild card.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I've read about Mswati III (the king of Swaziland) so I knew for sure Swaziland was a kingdom. That helped me choose between that and Lesotho, unfortunately.

Can I request a poll question for choosing Swaziland?
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Jason was highly impressive. TBH, I wasn't surprised he had the sole solve on an FJ that I thought was quite a bit tougher than yesterday's. After all, his career Geography percentage in LL is .919 (!) Another fun and well-played game overall, but it belonged to Jason. I also liked his interview segment with Alex about the blue ribbons. On a day when the death of Roy Halladay reminded us of the fragility of life, I'm still sad when I think about Cindy Stowell and her cruel fate.

FJ was an instaget for me. Ever since the fact that Lesotho is entirely within another country (specifically, South Africa) was the subject of a $1 million question during the Regis prime-time era of Who Wants to be a Millionaire, that fact has been burned into my brain. Since it's inside S.A. I figured it had to be the souhthernmost landlocked country. And I knew Lesotho is a kingdom. (Swaziland was a wicked distractor; it's even also a kingdom. But since it also borders Mozambique, you have to figure it's to the north of a country that's entirely contained by South Africa. I have to admit that Swaziland never even crossed my mind after I locked in on Lesotho.)

Am I the only one who blurted out "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" on that one clue, deliberately omitting the superfluous "What is?'?

The clue about the injuries by helicopter of Dr. Romano on ER was familiar to any lLama. :D

Despite what Alex said, I didn't find the "Overlaps" category to be "very difficult." I got 4/5, failing only to come up with "amoeabaguette" before Tim buzzed in with it.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:43 pm In the 7/11/17 thread I posted this after the Sw…land clue:
I have paid my dues for missing the FJ! clue by memorizing this Sporcle quiz: https://www.sporcle.com/games/g/landlocked

It won't be until the next locklocked country FJ! clue that I find out if it does any good.
Jason got them all in under 5 minutes. I took all 9 minutes and still missed one. Spent the last two minutes trying to figure out...
Spoiler
What comes alphabetically between Chad and Ethiopia
Spoiler
Turns out it's Czechia
I knew this FJ was a softball pitch for Jason. I also was sure he knew the name of Steve Buscemi's character in The Big Lebowski. I was yelling at the TV, "Shut up, Donnie, you're out of your element!" And sure enough, Jason muttered something ending with the word "element" when the correct response was revealed. It just didn't come to him in time.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

acthomas wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:23 pm Be honest, half of you shouted out a line or two from Walter Sobchak at one point during the game.
Forget about the &@#$ing toe!

Incidentally, 'Kingdom' was not at all a TOM...you literally had to know which of Lesotho or Swaziland was further south. Which...wow. Even for the TOC. "Tropic of Capricorn" was no help either.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:05 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:43 pm In the 7/11/17 thread I posted this after the Sw…land clue:
I have paid my dues for missing the FJ! clue by memorizing this Sporcle quiz: https://www.sporcle.com/games/g/landlocked

It won't be until the next locklocked country FJ! clue that I find out if it does any good.
Jason got them all in under 5 minutes. I took all 9 minutes and still missed one. Spent the last two minutes trying to figure out...
Spoiler
What comes alphabetically between Chad and Ethiopia
Spoiler
Turns out it's Czechia
I knew this FJ was a softball pitch for Jason. I also was sure he knew the name of Steve Buscemi's character in The Big Lebowski. I was yelling at the TV, "Shut up, Donnie, you're out of your element!" And sure enough, Jason muttered something ending with the word "element" when the correct response was revealed. It just didn't come to him in time.

I got them all with 3 minutes to go. I did think Bhutan at first for FJ but then I realized that was insane. Lesotho was known about 10 seconds in. Great game to watch. I was rooting for the guy from Ohio since I used to live near Vermilion but it doesn't seem likely that he'll be around next week.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:11 pm The clue about the injuries by helicopter of Dr. Romano on ER was familiar to any lLama. :D
That particular clue makes me think one of the Jeopardy! writers may be a Llama.

I got FJ and it came down to a decision between whether Swaziland or Lesotho was farther south. I assumed all three players would have one of these two countries.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

xxaaaxx post wrote: I was still in shock that Bismarck was a stand-and-stare TS.
That and Jason's uneasy guess on the Midway DD, instead of knowing it cold, assures me that I shouldn't expect any clues asking for the Graf Spee in the future.
That whole Axis category was under challenging for ToC level.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

zerobandwidth wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:13 pm What. A. Game. The Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions never fails in the excitement department, but this one so far has really been something special. This is a bunch of really great people, and these match-ups… wow.

As an obsessive map/atlas nerd in my childhood, "What is Lesotho?" in FJ! was an insta-get for me, since it is not only landlocked, but is also an enclave, and is further south than Swaziland.
zerobandwidth wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:43 am
  • Tuesday: Jason and Lily stun Tim early, Jason bets big on a slim lead into FJ and wins with Lily missing FJ and Tim locked out.
Well this prediction wasn't as spot-on as Monday's — which is good, because the game turned out to be even more exciting — but still rings close enough to true that it's a little spooky, and puts me at 2/2 for predicting winners. If only I'd been this good at, you know, correct responses to clues, or something.
Considering that Austin's playing tomorrow, do you think you might be rooting for him to win?
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

MTGcollegestudent wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:37 pm Considering that Austin's playing tomorrow, do you think you might be rooting for him to win?
Well he's statistically favored, but yeah, having met him, it's easy to root for him.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:12 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:11 pm The clue about the injuries by helicopter of Dr. Romano on ER was familiar to any lLama. :D
That particular clue makes me think one of the Jeopardy! writers may be a Llama.

I got FJ and it came down to a decision between whether Swaziland or Lesotho was farther south. I assumed all three players would have one of these two countries.
I wish we could hear from Tim and Lilly about how their guesses for southernmost came to be 2 countries in Asia, one of them in the Himalayas. Maybe they misread the clue?
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
BKavett
Contributor

Post by BKavett »

threearruda wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:19 pm As a resident for many years of my childhood (albeit not a maple syrup user), it bothers me slightly that none of the three knew the Vermont state tree.. ah well.
I wonder if they all thought the way I did, I knew it was Maple but the clue said "two words" and I had no idea what the rest of it was. I've only ever heard "Maple tree."

Lesotho popped into my head just from the category name, because it being within South Africa is one of those trivia facts that always comes up, so once the clue was read I didn't even have to think about it. Never even thought of Swaziland.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:45 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:12 pm

I wish we could hear from Tim and Lilly about how their guesses for southernmost came to be 2 countries in Asia, one of them in the Himalayas. Maybe they misread the clue?
They mustv'e mistook "In the world" for "In the northern hemisphere."
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Today was the day I started tracking my answers. Of course, I picked the TOC week to start. Keeps me humble. May as well put the brutal reality out there for the record.

19 right, 4 wrong. Sit and stare at 3 whole categories (Swipe Write, Movie & TV Deaths, Overlaps), and should have stared at Dr. Johnson and Opera, because the ones I answered were wrong. At least I ran Tinder.

I picked up the LT on Bismark at the last second. I knew I knew it, just couldn't pull it up quickly.

Coryat: 8100.

FJ!: I immediately knew there were two countries in South Africa which were likely. Took about 25 of the 30 seconds to come up with Lesotho and had to go with that because I couldn't come up with Swaziland. But I'll take it.

On to tomorrow.
--Peter
davey

Post by davey »

Lesotho is my go-to for "landlocked country" because it's basically the only one I remember...and I resent this thread a little for adding Swaziland to the mix... :x
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

BKavett wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:52 pm I wonder if they all thought the way I did, I knew it was Maple but the clue said "two words" and I had no idea what the rest of it was.
That was my response. I was thinking "Maple what" instead of "what Maple". Not going to get in the limited time when you start off the wrong way around.
--Peter
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Thank you! I thought that had been on Jeopardy! and was a weird repeat of a recent clue. (I'm not a LLama, but I play one on TV try to play along the next day.) I still say it was the same helicopter, finishing the job.

I thought of both Lesotho and Swaziland. I wasn't 100% sure Swaziland was landlocked, and I was reasonably confident it was farther North, so I guessed correctly. I was also reasonably confident they were both kingdoms, which just seemed mean.

I've missed "sugar maple" several times. I think I've known it was some sort of maple each of those times.
rouquinne
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by rouquinne »

OSXpert wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:30 pm Flipped a Lesotho/Swaziland coin and it came up wrong. I thought Swaziland sounded more like a kingdom for whatever reason. Surprised all three people didn't hit one of those two.
Swaziland is also a kingdom, but it is near the northern border of South Africa while Lesotho is closer to the south coast. I used to work for a Canadian Council of Churches group fighting apartheid back in the 80s, so I'm pretty well versed in the geography and history of that country.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

davey wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:03 am Lesotho is my go-to for "landlocked country" because it's basically the only one I remember...and I resent this thread a little for adding Swaziland to the mix... :x
There are over 40 landlocked countries; the exact number depends on what you count as "countries."