Tuesday, November 7, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:58 pm

J! Round

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, November 7, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:58 pm

DJ! Round

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:42 pm

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LANDLOCKED COUNTRIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
South of the Tropic of Capricorn, this kingdom is the world’s southernmost landlocked country

Tim Aten: 14000-2500=11500
Lilly Chin: 12800-800=12000
Jason Sterlacci: 18800+4200=23000 (Semi-Finalist)

Correct response:
SpoilerShow
Lesotho (Tim – Myanmar) (Lilly – Bhutan)

Daily Doubles
Tim: 600+1000
Jason: 15800+3000
Lilly: 7600+4000

Coryats
Tim: 14000
Lilly: 9600
Jason: 17400

Combined: 41,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Tim: 5600
Lilly: 2000
Jason: 5000

MarkBarrett
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MarkBarrett » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:43 pm

Everyone had DR. JOHNSON’S ALPHABET on their study list, right?

It was obvious that Alex picked up trash for knowing the German battleship sunk.

The players went through the material quickly today so Alex had time for housekeeping duties with giving the payouts before revealing the FJ! clue. It’s unusual for the host to have that much extra time in the last segment.

Tim was going for 16.5K on a correct response which would have put him #1 on the WC list. Third with three games to go is on much shakier ground.

In the 7/11/17 thread I posted this after the Sw…land clue:
I have paid my dues for missing the FJ! clue by memorizing this Sporcle quiz: https://www.sporcle.com/games/g/landlocked

It won't be until the next locklocked country FJ! clue that I find out if it does any good.

Today was the day of redemption and I got it right. Unfortunately, (or perhaps fortunately) I never thought of Swaziland in the 30 seconds. I may need to review that quiz monthly if not weekly. I’ll gladly take a 2/2 in the TOC anyway I can get it.

Today’s game was the one I most wanted of the five to have 3/3 champs advance. It’s still in play though 12K and 11.5K are iffy for wildcards.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:22 pm

I wasn't sure Lesotho was a kingdom but couldn't think what other African countries were so I went with it.

All three players entered FJ in solid wild card contention and all bet to retain that status rather than trying for an outright win.

I think Lilly and Tim are in decent shape but I wouldn't be surprised if neither made it.

A good game as all three had quintuple digits going into and out of FJ.
Complete the List champion, Episode 12.

Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:29 pm

Bhutan? Myanmar?? I think they either misread or misunderstood the clue - and it just goes to prove that even some of the best players have one of those moments. (At least Bhutan satisfies a couple of the elements, but yikes to Myanmar).

squarekara
Valued Contributor

Post by squarekara » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:32 pm

I experienced a flashback to Dick Clark's "$25,000 Pyramid" during the "Three of a Kind" category.

acthomas
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by acthomas » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:23 pm

Be honest, half of you shouted out a line or two from Walter Sobchak at one point during the game.

OSXpert

Post by OSXpert » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:30 pm

Flipped a Lesotho/Swaziland coin and it came up wrong. I thought Swaziland sounded more like a kingdom for whatever reason. Surprised all three people didn't hit one of those two.

Leander

Post by Leander » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:31 pm

Swaziland for my answer. Totally forgot about Lesotho, not sure I would know which was further south anyway.

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:34 pm

Elijah Baley wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:29 pm
Bhutan? Myanmar?? I think they either misread or misunderstood the clue - and it just goes to prove that even some of the best players have one of those moments. (At least Bhutan satisfies a couple of the elements, but yikes to Myanmar).
I guess they mistook the Tropic of Capricorn for Cancer? I was still in shock that Bismarck was a stand-and-stare TS.

Instaget F....wait no, not Swaziland, the other one....Lesotho! Right. Still with plenty of time to spare.
The tiebreaker is a lie.

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:39 pm

I probably would have written "What is that country that's an enclave of South Africa?" because it's as far as I got.

Really curious to see where the Wild Card cutoff ends up.

boson
Trivial

Post by boson » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:55 pm

Thanks to the Only Connect Facebook group for listing 4 countries wholly below the tropic of Capricorn this week (Uruguay, New Zealand, Swaziland, Lesotho from what I recall). I guessed luckily to get Lesotho over Swaziland.

This was well played game overall - all three with deep gets. I bet the spiciest memelord burrito is better than the beer.

I fixed my 4(!) 2000$ negs from yesterday and was pushing 40000 Coryat. If only that last category wasn't opera (say both Tim and Lilly).

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:59 pm

Surprised at what seemed like an EZ FJ as single get, GJ Jason! ... instaget here. Lesotho falls into that AT cat of "a few of my fav things..." like Musk Oxen. ;)

49R in a TOC; pretty satisfied with my armchair quarterbacking... LT (rare):Nexium "LIttle PURPLE pill"; Cosi fan tutte score > Mozart; Bismarck (DNA: Tirpitz!); Italy ousted from Egypt (after retreating from Ethiopia). :)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!

mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:00 pm

28 right.

Dr. Johnson (1), "B" Sport (4), U.S.A (3), Color (1), Tinder (2), Write (5)
Opera (1), Three (3), Deaths (1), Axis (4), Science (1), Overlaps (2)

Lach Trash: Egypt

My first guess was Lesotho, then I considered Swaziland; in the end, I stuck with Lesotho.

zerobandwidth

Post by zerobandwidth » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:13 pm

What. A. Game. The Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions never fails in the excitement department, but this one so far has really been something special. This is a bunch of really great people, and these match-ups… wow.

As an obsessive map/atlas nerd in my childhood, "What is Lesotho?" in FJ! was an insta-get for me, since it is not only landlocked, but is also an enclave, and is further south than Swaziland.
zerobandwidth wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:43 am
  • Tuesday: Jason and Lily stun Tim early, Jason bets big on a slim lead into FJ and wins with Lily missing FJ and Tim locked out.
Well this prediction wasn't as spot-on as Monday's — which is good, because the game turned out to be even more exciting — but still rings close enough to true that it's a little spooky, and puts me at 2/2 for predicting winners. If only I'd been this good at, you know, correct responses to clues, or something.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27 (Austin Rogers fodder #3)
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL75: R Summit Div 2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest

threearruda
Contributor

Post by threearruda » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:19 pm

36 correct for me (24 in the first round) - surprised myself a bit once again with a good performance from home. Had a momentary panic attack trying to remember if Lesotho or Swaziland was further south - correctly wrote down Lesotho in the first few seconds.

As a resident for many years of my childhood (albeit not a maple syrup user), it bothers me slightly that none of the three knew the Vermont state tree.. ah well.

Great game all the way around - Jason turned it on in the second half, and deservedly pulled out the W and auto berth with the sole solve. Congrats! Tim really surprised me with a strong performance, but I bet both he and Lilly had a very long remainder of the tape day after this finished up.

Something tells me Andrew Pau would have really liked at least one of the DJ categories this evening.

CasketRomance
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasketRomance » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:24 pm

Elijah Baley wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:29 pm
i guess dude never heard of mandalay bay and association with myanmar

CasketRomance
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasketRomance » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:26 pm

zerobandwidth wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:13 pm
What. A. Game. The Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions never fails in the excitement department, but this one so far has really been something special. This is a bunch of really great people, and these match-ups… wow.

As an obsessive map/atlas nerd in my childhood, "What is Lesotho?" in FJ! was an insta-get for me, since it is not only landlocked, but is also an enclave, and is further south than Swaziland.
zerobandwidth wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:43 am
  • Tuesday: Jason and Lily stun Tim early, Jason bets big on a slim lead into FJ and wins with Lily missing FJ and Tim locked out.
Well this prediction wasn't as spot-on as Monday's — which is good, because the game turned out to be even more exciting — but still rings close enough to true that it's a little spooky, and puts me at 2/2 for predicting winners. If only I'd been this good at, you know, correct responses to clues, or something.
if they hadn't included kingdom in the clue, i would have gone with lesotho...went with swaziland because of the kingdom aspect...didn't realise lesptho was a kingdom...had they just said "southernmost landlocked country" i would have thought about it and gone with lesotho

MDCSWildcats86
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MDCSWildcats86 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:44 pm

Knew Lesotho cold, though I've always pronounced it "luh-SUE-toe".

Incidentally, Lesotho's national football team is known as the "Crocodiles".

They are also an English speaking nation, though it's co-official with Sotho.