Tuesday, November 7, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7627, 2017-11-07

2017 Tournament of Champions quarterfinal game 2.

CONTESTANTS
Jason Sterlacci, a fourth grade teacher from Somerset, New Jersey
Lilly Chin, a robotics Ph.D. student at MIT from Decatur, Georgia
Tim Aten, an editor from Vermilion, Ohio

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome again, folks. A very exciting and competitive quarterfinal match yesterday to kick off this tournament this year. I hope today's game is its equal. Jason, Lilly, Tim, good luck. Here we go. I hope you're ready to do your stuff with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
DR. JOHNSON'S ALPHABET (5/5) (Alex: We're going back to his 1755 dictionary.)
"B" A SPORT (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
U.S.A. (4/5)
THAT'S OUR COLOR (4/5) (Alex: You have to name the color that has a shade that's been trademarked by the group mentioned.)
TINDER (4/5)
SWIPE WRITE (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Tim: 12 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Jason: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Lilly: 8 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Tim found the Daily Double on the 5th clue. Tim had $600, Lilly had $800, and Jason was at $800. Tim wagered $1,000.

"B" A SPORT $1000: Britannica's entry on it notes early Scandinavians revered the Norse god Ull as both a ski god & a hunting god

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jason: $3,200
Tim: $3,200
Lilly: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Welcome back. You folks who are really observant will have noticed that the contestants and I are all wearing these blue ribbons. Jason Sterlacci, you were instrumental in having this come about. Why don't you tell the audience what it has to do with?

Jason: Well, anybody who watches the show regularly remembers Cindy Stowell and her magnificent run back in, I guess it was December of last year. After her passing from colon cancer, a lot of people were asking us what we were gonna do to sort of remember her. And it blows me away how much of a family everybody is here, so I guess we all just--I got us all together, and we all agreed to wear these ribbons.

Alex: And in her honor.

Jason: Of course.

Alex: Of course, she would have been competing--

Jason: She would have been in the tournament, yeah.

Alex: Jeopardy! is donating $10,000 to the Cancer Research Institute.

[Applause]

Jason: That's great to hear.

Alex: Lilly Chin, College Championship winner. What's this spiciest memelord comment on the show that got you--what happened as a result of your comment?

Lilly: It got a lot of internet fame, and I have a burrito and a beer named after it.

Alex: Really?

Lilly: Yes.

[Laughter]

Alex: You're a star in more ways than one right now. Good for you. See the power of television?

Alex: Tim Aten, from Vermilion, Ohio. Seven-day winner on Jeopardy!, and on Twitter, you described your appearance on the show as what?

Tim: Yeah, I wasn't the most dominant champion the first time around. I played more of a finesse game, I'd like to say. So I said that my motto was, "Float like a butterfly, sting like a butterfly."

[Laughter]

Alex: And some famous athlete--

Tim: Yeah, there was a lot of support from the internet for me and for that Tweet in particular, and one of them was Hunter Pence, World Series champion.

Alex: For the Giants.

Tim: Yeah.

Alex: Yeah, okay. But not this year.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
U.S.A. $400: It's the 2-word name of Vermont's state tree, valued for its wood & sap

THAT'S OUR COLOR $1000: AstraZeneca, for Nexium

TINDER $1000: An axe head can get stuck; instead, use this 4-letter heavy hammer to split firewood
(Lilly: What's an adze?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Tim: $5,600
Jason: $5,000
Lilly: $2,000
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, November 7, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE DREADED OPERA CATEGORY (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THREE OF A KIND (5/5)
MOVIE & TV DEATHS (4/5)
KICKING AXIS (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BRANCHES OF SCIENCE (5/5)
OVERLAPS (5/5) (Alex: Each correct response will be one word, an overlap of two words.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jason: 10 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Tim: 9 R, 0 W
Lilly: 6 R (including 1 DD), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jason snagged the next Daily Double on the 18th clue. Tim had $10,000, Lilly had $5,600, and Jason was at $15,800. Jason wagered $3,000.

KICKING AXIS $1600: In this June 1942 battle, Japan lost all 4 of its heavy aircraft carriers & with them, pretty much, the Pacific war

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Lilly who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 21st clue. Tim had $11,200, Lilly had $7,600, and Jason was at $18,800. Lilly wagered $4,000.

THE DREADED OPERA CATEGORY $800: Don Jose is the jilted military man who kills the title character in this opera

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MOVIE & TV DEATHS $2000: Steve Buscemi's character in "The Big Lebowski", he dies of a heart attack after a fight with some nihilists

THE DREADED OPERA CATEGORY $1200: The following overture by this composer was first heard in 1790
(Alex: Cosi fan tutte by [*]).

KICKING AXIS $2000: In May 1941 3 British ships sank this German battleship along with most of its 2,300-man crew
(Alex: Made a movie about it. Sink [*].)

KICKING AXIS $400: In 1941's Operation Compass, the British pushed the Italians out of this country into Libya & took 130,000 prisoners

THE DREADED OPERA CATEGORY $2000: Operas with subjects drawn from common life like "Pagliacci" were part of this "real life" 19th century movement

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jason: $18,800
Tim: $14,000
Lilly: $12,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LANDLOCKED COUNTRIES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Jason: Wager $9,201 to cover Tim.
Tim: You ought to wager to cover Lilly, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings by betting all $14,000. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $11,600 (to shut out Lilly) or less than $4,400 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Lilly). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Jason.
Lilly: Consider risking between $1,201 and $3,200. This will top a $0 wager by Tim while still beating Jason on the Triple Stumper (should Jason wager to cover Tim's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
South of the Tropic of Capricorn, this kingdom is the world's southernmost landlocked country

FINAL SCORES
Lilly: $12,800 - $800 = $12,000 (What is Bhutan) (2nd place)
Tim: $14,000 - $2,500 = $11,500 (What is Myanmar?) (3rd place)
Jason: $18,800 + $4,200 = $23,000 (What is Lesotho?) (Automatic semifinalist)
(Alex: There are only two continents that come into play here--South America and Africa.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jason: $17,400, 17 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Tim: $14,000, 21 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Lilly: $9,600, 14 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Combined Coryat: $41,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Tim: 21/59 = .356
Jason: 18/59 = .305
Lilly: 14/59 = .237
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
TINDER $600: Firewood can be dried in one of these furnaces

U.S.A. $600: Yes, you are allowed to climb this monolith, the first national monument in the United States

DR. JOHNSON'S ALPHABET $800: It "is confounded by the Germans and Welsh with B"
(Lilly: What is W?)
(Tim: What is V?)

"B" A SPORT $400: The pros play it on a 94-by-50-foot court
(Lilly: What is badminton?)

OVERLAPS $2000: Frozen polar region of a planet filled out with your personal info when you're seeking a new job
(Jason: Nice.)
[applause]
(Alex: You guys did well on what I thought was a very tough category.)

THE DREADED OPERA CATEGORY $400: The image of this character from a 19th-century work has become a symbol for opera from the Romantic era

BRANCHES OF SCIENCE $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents an image on the monitor.) It looks like spirals, but they're actually concentric circles; it's all part of pseudoptics, the study of these unusual sights

CORRECT RESPONSES
biathlon
sugar maple
purple
a maul
Midway
Carmen
Donny
Mozart
the Bismarck
Egypt
verismo
Lesotho
a kiln
Devil's Tower
P
basketball
icecapplication
Brünnhilde
optical illusions
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LANDLOCKED COUNTRIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
South of the Tropic of Capricorn, this kingdom is the world’s southernmost landlocked country

Tim Aten: 14000-2500=11500
Lilly Chin: 12800-800=12000
Jason Sterlacci: 18800+4200=23000 (Semi-Finalist)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Lesotho (Tim – Myanmar) (Lilly – Bhutan)

Daily Doubles
Tim: 600+1000
Jason: 15800+3000
Lilly: 7600+4000

Coryats
Tim: 14000
Lilly: 9600
Jason: 17400

Combined: 41,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Tim: 5600
Lilly: 2000
Jason: 5000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Everyone had DR. JOHNSON’S ALPHABET on their study list, right?

It was obvious that Alex picked up trash for knowing the German battleship sunk.

The players went through the material quickly today so Alex had time for housekeeping duties with giving the payouts before revealing the FJ! clue. It’s unusual for the host to have that much extra time in the last segment.

Tim was going for 16.5K on a correct response which would have put him #1 on the WC list. Third with three games to go is on much shakier ground.

In the 7/11/17 thread I posted this after the Sw…land clue:
I have paid my dues for missing the FJ! clue by memorizing this Sporcle quiz: https://www.sporcle.com/games/g/landlocked

It won't be until the next locklocked country FJ! clue that I find out if it does any good.

Today was the day of redemption and I got it right. Unfortunately, (or perhaps fortunately) I never thought of Swaziland in the 30 seconds. I may need to review that quiz monthly if not weekly. I’ll gladly take a 2/2 in the TOC anyway I can get it.

Today’s game was the one I most wanted of the five to have 3/3 champs advance. It’s still in play though 12K and 11.5K are iffy for wildcards.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I wasn't sure Lesotho was a kingdom but couldn't think what other African countries were so I went with it.

All three players entered FJ in solid wild card contention and all bet to retain that status rather than trying for an outright win.

I think Lilly and Tim are in decent shape but I wouldn't be surprised if neither made it.

A good game as all three had quintuple digits going into and out of FJ.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Bhutan? Myanmar?? I think they either misread or misunderstood the clue - and it just goes to prove that even some of the best players have one of those moments. (At least Bhutan satisfies a couple of the elements, but yikes to Myanmar).
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

I experienced a flashback to Dick Clark's "$25,000 Pyramid" during the "Three of a Kind" category.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

Be honest, half of you shouted out a line or two from Walter Sobchak at one point during the game.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Flipped a Lesotho/Swaziland coin and it came up wrong. I thought Swaziland sounded more like a kingdom for whatever reason. Surprised all three people didn't hit one of those two.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Swaziland for my answer. Totally forgot about Lesotho, not sure I would know which was further south anyway.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:29 pm Bhutan? Myanmar?? I think they either misread or misunderstood the clue - and it just goes to prove that even some of the best players have one of those moments. (At least Bhutan satisfies a couple of the elements, but yikes to Myanmar).
I guess they mistook the Tropic of Capricorn for Cancer? I was still in shock that Bismarck was a stand-and-stare TS.

Instaget F....wait no, not Swaziland, the other one....Lesotho! Right. Still with plenty of time to spare.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I probably would have written "What is that country that's an enclave of South Africa?" because it's as far as I got.

Really curious to see where the Wild Card cutoff ends up.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Thanks to the Only Connect Facebook group for listing 4 countries wholly below the tropic of Capricorn this week (Uruguay, New Zealand, Swaziland, Lesotho from what I recall). I guessed luckily to get Lesotho over Swaziland.

This was well played game overall - all three with deep gets. I bet the spiciest memelord burrito is better than the beer.

I fixed my 4(!) 2000$ negs from yesterday and was pushing 40000 Coryat. If only that last category wasn't opera (say both Tim and Lilly).
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Surprised at what seemed like an EZ FJ as single get, GJ Jason! ... instaget here. Lesotho falls into that AT cat of "a few of my fav things..." like Musk Oxen. ;)

49R in a TOC; pretty satisfied with my armchair quarterbacking... LT (rare):Nexium "LIttle PURPLE pill"; Cosi fan tutte score > Mozart; Bismarck (DNA: Tirpitz!); Italy ousted from Egypt (after retreating from Ethiopia). :)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

28 right.

Dr. Johnson (1), "B" Sport (4), U.S.A (3), Color (1), Tinder (2), Write (5)
Opera (1), Three (3), Deaths (1), Axis (4), Science (1), Overlaps (2)

Lach Trash: Egypt

My first guess was Lesotho, then I considered Swaziland; in the end, I stuck with Lesotho.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

What. A. Game. The Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions never fails in the excitement department, but this one so far has really been something special. This is a bunch of really great people, and these match-ups… wow.

As an obsessive map/atlas nerd in my childhood, "What is Lesotho?" in FJ! was an insta-get for me, since it is not only landlocked, but is also an enclave, and is further south than Swaziland.
zerobandwidth wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:43 am
  • Tuesday: Jason and Lily stun Tim early, Jason bets big on a slim lead into FJ and wins with Lily missing FJ and Tim locked out.
Well this prediction wasn't as spot-on as Monday's — which is good, because the game turned out to be even more exciting — but still rings close enough to true that it's a little spooky, and puts me at 2/2 for predicting winners. If only I'd been this good at, you know, correct responses to clues, or something.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

36 correct for me (24 in the first round) - surprised myself a bit once again with a good performance from home. Had a momentary panic attack trying to remember if Lesotho or Swaziland was further south - correctly wrote down Lesotho in the first few seconds.

As a resident for many years of my childhood (albeit not a maple syrup user), it bothers me slightly that none of the three knew the Vermont state tree.. ah well.

Great game all the way around - Jason turned it on in the second half, and deservedly pulled out the W and auto berth with the sole solve. Congrats! Tim really surprised me with a strong performance, but I bet both he and Lilly had a very long remainder of the tape day after this finished up.

Something tells me Andrew Pau would have really liked at least one of the DJ categories this evening.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:29 pm Bhutan? Myanmar?? I think they either misread or misunderstood the clue - and it just goes to prove that even some of the best players have one of those moments. (At least Bhutan satisfies a couple of the elements, but yikes to Myanmar).
i guess dude never heard of mandalay bay and association with myanmar
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

zerobandwidth wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:13 pm What. A. Game. The Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions never fails in the excitement department, but this one so far has really been something special. This is a bunch of really great people, and these match-ups… wow.

As an obsessive map/atlas nerd in my childhood, "What is Lesotho?" in FJ! was an insta-get for me, since it is not only landlocked, but is also an enclave, and is further south than Swaziland.
zerobandwidth wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:43 am
  • Tuesday: Jason and Lily stun Tim early, Jason bets big on a slim lead into FJ and wins with Lily missing FJ and Tim locked out.
Well this prediction wasn't as spot-on as Monday's — which is good, because the game turned out to be even more exciting — but still rings close enough to true that it's a little spooky, and puts me at 2/2 for predicting winners. If only I'd been this good at, you know, correct responses to clues, or something.
if they hadn't included kingdom in the clue, i would have gone with lesotho...went with swaziland because of the kingdom aspect...didn't realise lesptho was a kingdom...had they just said "southernmost landlocked country" i would have thought about it and gone with lesotho
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Knew Lesotho cold, though I've always pronounced it "luh-SUE-toe".

Incidentally, Lesotho's national football team is known as the "Crocodiles".

They are also an English speaking nation, though it's co-official with Sotho.