Wednesday, November 8, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

sims
Valued Contributor

Re: Wednesday, November 8, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by sims »

zerobandwidth wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:01 am
Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:21 am
acthomas wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:33 pm Count me still unaware whether Patti pronounces her name Lu-Pown or Lu-Pony, but I reckon Austin's probably right here?
I'm just curious if you've ever heard anyone pronounce it Lu-Pony! (Because yes, Austin pronounced it correctly).
I have to think that a cameo by a "Patti LuPony" character in a future episode of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic is inevitable.
I'm actually really surprised they haven't done that yet.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:46 am There was another clue in this show that was recently used in LearnedLeague. It was the one about "Come From Away." I can't remember now if the LL question was in the regular league or one of the recent mini leagues.
I think it was in the Aviation 1DS.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:11 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:46 am There was another clue in this show that was recently used in LearnedLeague. It was the one about "Come From Away." I can't remember now if the LL question was in the regular league or one of the recent mini leagues.
Correct. Good memory!
https://learnedleague.com/oneday.php?aviation2
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:28 pm
Correct. Good memory!
Also MD4, Q5 in the Atlantic mini-league (which was meaner and asked for the name of the town it's set in).
https://learnedleague.com/mini/question ... antic&10&5
Last edited by teapot37 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $25,600
41 R/7 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Speaking, Landing, Sasquatch (DD), Mississippi River, dugout (DD), Alibi, Tycho Brahe, good for nothing

I don't think I would have remembered Alan's run other than the fact that I was in the audience for it. (I actually shared the parking garage elevator with him and his mother at the end of the first taping day.) Honestly, I wasn't super-impressed with him then, but he was extremely impressive in this game.

I knew that Byron had swum the Hellespont in the early 1800s, which deemed like the sort of wacky thing someone who would be accused of "questionable morality" would do. Whatever works, I guess.
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:19 pm
grindcore wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:51 pm
Category 13 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:12 pm The DD that David missed was just nasty.
Was it? I feel like sasquatch was easy pickins since bigfoot is only seven letters. Could be canadian bias tho, do americans not really use that term?
No, "sasquatch" is well-known in the U.S. I could easily see someone jumping to "bigfoot" on a regular clue, but on a DD with the extra time it's definitely a muff.
This is especially true given that the category was Words from Native American Languages. In order to go with Bigfoot, you had to ignore both the category and the clue.
Sprinkles are for winners.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:41 pm
19th c. poet of 'questionable morals'? This was such a slam dunk instaget for Byron that I wondered if I was missing something obvious, and now I wonder if others fit that description and I just don't know enough about other poets of the time (well of course I don't, I know less about poetry than your dog, but you know what I mean).
Byron never entered my head; my answer was Coleridge because of his pretty well-known opium addiction. Looking it up after the fact, I found out Coleridge died 10 years after Byron, so if I'd known that I could have eliminated STC from consideration. Looks like I won't make it to the semifinals. Darn.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

hscer wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:06 pm any other Coleridge guesses out there? only name I could think of
Yup -- "Confessions of an Opium Eater" put his addiction pretty much in the public eye; even though opium dens were pretty common I thought it still could have been considered "questionable morality." He and Byron were contemporaries, but died 10 years apart.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

teapot37 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:32 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:28 pm
Correct. Good memory!
Also MD4, Q5 in the Atlantic mini-league (which was meaner and asked for the name of the town it's set in).
https://learnedleague.com/mini/question ... antic&10&5
That would have been easier for me. I would have gotten that one correct. I missed the one in the Aviation one day.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Lefty wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:29 am A few years ago, on one of those nerd-o triviahead sites (ken-jennings.com is my guess), someone posted a sort of question about the poetic quintet of Byron, Coleridge, Keats, Shelley, and Wordsworth, what was remarkable about it. There was a clue about how the fact that some of them died rather young might be important.
Spoiler
Listed in the proper order (Keats, Shelley, Byron, Coleridge, Wordsworth), the lifespan of each succeeding encompasses its predecessor's. There followed a query as to what other such groups could be assembled, but I don't remember any very interesting answers.
That's pretty remarkable. Looking through Wikipedia's list of Vice Presidents (which I suppose is a bit more constrained a set than English poets, given that multiple people can't be VP at the same time), I can only find a set of three successive VPs with that property: Levi Morton, Adlai Stevenson, and Garret Hobart, who served under Benjamin Harrison, Cleveland's second term, and McKinley's first term respectively. There's also a set of three consecutive presidents like this, but I'll let the reader figure out who they are.
davey

Post by davey »

rouquinne wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:08 am
mrparadise wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:16 pm If you remember that it was famously said of Byron (by one of his lovers, I think) that he was "mad, bad, and dangerous to know" the "questionable behavior" in the clue points right at him.
Actually, Byron said that about one of his lovers - Lady Caroline Lamb.
Nope, it was the other way around...
http://www.nytimes.com/books/97/04/13/r ... stlet.html
Byron was rumored to have had homosexual affairs, as well as one with his half-sister - those are the reasons his morality was questioned...
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:42 am
acthomas wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:53 am
acthomas wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:33 pm Count me still unaware whether Patti pronounces her name Lu-Pown or Lu-Pony, but I reckon Austin's probably right here?
I'm just curious if you've ever heard anyone pronounce it Lu-Pony! (Because yes, Austin pronounced it correctly).
I won't out the guilty party, but yes. It's also one of those cases where I've only seen her name written down in TV credits and news articles as opposed to spoken out loud by someone definitively in the know -- like Ms. LuPone herself.
Well, Patti LuPone has been one of the best known Broadway musical actresses since at least 1979 and she's done concerts, TV, movies, etc. And she's no shrinking violet - if everyone had been mispronouncing her name for 40 years, she'd have said something.
All I'm saying is that if she were as cool online as Weird Al, I wouldn't have to ask!
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

acthomas wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:58 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:42 am
acthomas wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:53 am
I won't out the guilty party, but yes. It's also one of those cases where I've only seen her name written down in TV credits and news articles as opposed to spoken out loud by someone definitively in the know -- like Ms. LuPone herself.
Well, Patti LuPone has been one of the best known Broadway musical actresses since at least 1979 and she's done concerts, TV, movies, etc. And she's no shrinking violet - if everyone had been mispronouncing her name for 40 years, she'd have said something.
All I'm saying is that if she were as cool online as Weird Al, I wouldn't have to ask!
I suspect she never imagined that it could be as tricky as Yankovic. Moreover, you could google any number of youtube videos of her at the Tony Awards, any number of concert performances and so on and you'd have ample opportunity to hear it pronounced by announcers, etc. ;)
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

Do they not offer Direct Deposit for the Jeopardy checks? I’d be so anxious if I had to keep track of a piece of paper worth $400k+ for my entire trip
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Wheatley wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:54 am Do they not offer Direct Deposit for the Jeopardy checks? I’d be so anxious if I had to keep track of a piece of paper worth $400k+ for my entire trip
They don’t direct deposit but neither do you usually get it there and then. You usually get it mailed to you six weeks after your shows air. There was another player recently that got their cheque at the TOC, but that isn’t common. (And despite that other player also taping their TOC before their shows aired, I dont know why the exception was made for those two.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

It's almost like something happened to Austin when he cut his hair ...
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

alietr wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:39 pm It's almost like something happened to Austin when he cut his hair ...
He shoulda paid attention to Samson. :D
--Peter
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Lach Trash: "Speaking Ill of the Dead", Hammerstein, dugout canoe.

How was Hammerstein a TS?

"Oh, I get it now!" XD

Home team advantage for me on the Mackinac Island Fudge clue.

Newfoundland = 9/11 wasn't ever going to click for me.

Strangely I got the middle 3 in "Nothing". I forgot the category but still got "Double or nothing" anyway.

I know Lord Byron exists, but can't ever remember who or what he was. So I was totally lost here.