Learned League 75 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread

Post by mcsheffrey »

boson wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:36 am It is now over 10% non-americans in LL, where it must be a vanishingly small number who got it. I lived in the us for 7 years, and have been playing us-centric trivia for decades, and had no hope on that one.
In my private rundle of all Canadians, only one person got it correct for a 7% get rate. I've definitely heard of Jeannette Rankin but I only knew her name well enough to pick it out of a list, not enough to come up with it on my own.
mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mennoknight »

Rankin was a name I picked up during my J! studying...pictured Rankin Inlet just letting in a whole slew of female politicians wearing Joe Montana jerseys.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I managed another 4 correct day with a win yesterday. I had no idea on cooking but I threw it out as a lucky guess.
JLJ
Valued Contributor

Post by JLJ »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:00 am
Blue Lion wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:53 am My answer for the M.F.K. Fisher question was "travel" because I had read her Two Towns in Provence. I wasn't aware that she was best known for food writing; and, in fact, an MFK Fisher Award for Excellence in Culinary Writing is given out every even-numbered year. You learn something every day.
Her name meant nothing to me so I took a wild guess and put "gardening." I wonder how many people actually knew this as opposed to just figuring "cooking" was their best guess.

Terrible game for me yesterday getting only two correct.
Count me in the crowd who flipped between two high level generic categories since I had no real idea of the answer. I debated (not strenuously) between Food and Travel. Happily landed Food side up.
I'm living proof to show that a good attitude, a Southern accent, a ridiculous beard, and a middling amount of trivia knowledge can get you onto Jeopardy!
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread (MD3)

Post by ElendilPickle »

zerobandwidth wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:49 am
  • :( This was a major facepalm moment, as I play… a lot of cards. I've never heard of the dead hand being called a kitty before, so that threw me off. Oh well.
I've never heard of the kitty being called a dead hand before. :cry: I thought of kitty, but didn't think it was right from the description and put "ghost hand."
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread (MD3)

Post by Volante »

ElendilPickle wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:01 pm
zerobandwidth wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:49 am
  • :( This was a major facepalm moment, as I play… a lot of cards. I've never heard of the dead hand being called a kitty before, so that threw me off. Oh well.
I've never heard of the kitty being called a dead hand before. :cry: I thought of kitty, but didn't think it was right from the description and put "ghost hand."
I've heard kitty in the context of the shared pool, so I was somewhat surprised that's what it ended up being.

More surprised, though, was my only getting 1 for it (and thus tying my opponent...at 1) and then frustration that I should've spent more time on Rankin because I'm sure after a few more minutes I would've gotten it and won. Learned my lesson there...hopefully.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I know face down unused cards as "burn cards" in poker, but that didn't fit the other part of the clue, so I guessed kitty correctly.

Cooking was a random guess for me - never heard of her.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:00 am
Blue Lion wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:53 am My answer for the M.F.K. Fisher question was "travel" because I had read her Two Towns in Provence. I wasn't aware that she was best known for food writing; and, in fact, an MFK Fisher Award for Excellence in Culinary Writing is given out every even-numbered year. You learn something every day.
Her name meant nothing to me so I took a wild guess and put "gardening." I wonder how many people actually knew this as opposed to just figuring "cooking" was their best guess.
Maybe folks would remember her better if they knew M.F.K. stood for Mary Frances Kennedy. I used to see her column in The Boston Globe back in the late '80s and almost never read it. Then one day I did and was absolutely enchanted. Read her NYTimes obituary for more quotes like these.
On her beauty:
MFKFisher wrote:I wasn't so pretty that I didn't have to do something else.
On her birth:
MFKFisher wrote:I began in Albion, Mich., and was born there on July 3, 1908, in a heat wave. I leapt forth only a few minutes before midnight, in a supreme effort from my mother, whose husband had assured her that I would be named Independencia if I arrived on the Fourth.
TIL that one of Ethan Stowell's many Seattle restaurants is named for her book How to Cook a Wolf.

Thrilled to get my first win vs. BuxtonK after four losses, though with just three right I didn't like my chances. Rankin may be better known in the west. Tried roan for palomino. The awfulness of Barbara Bosson (Bochco's wife, and Fay on Hill Street Blues) on Cop Rock is hard to forget.

Tied some guy named SterlacciJ tonight. Damn, no BWA for Q6, the European stock exchange.
Spoiler
BeNeFr
In and out of the pool four times
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

One downside of playing along as a nonmember is seeing the category on a question like the Fisher one. It was a bit of a giveaway. I remember one like that sometime in the last few seasons, too.

Until I started listening to Comedy Bang Bang regularly, I thought ALW was the lyricist. Now I know better, thanks to PFT.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Damn it, the F in FTSE doesn't stand for France or French.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:03 am Damn it, the F in FTSE doesn't stand for France or French.
:lol: That was my guess too.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread (MD4)

Post by zerobandwidth »

MD4 I'm beyond surprised, but it's a 4-0-0 start, with a 2(2)-0(1) perfect-defense win to solidify second place in the rundle, behind the person who had the 9(6)-0(1) in MD2 (and thus got a huge MPD boost).
  • :x This was a head-slapper. I knew Ann Landers and Dear Abby were sisters, but didn't know they were twins or were from Iowa or had nearly-identical names.
  • :mrgreen: I'm honestly surprised the correct% on mother-of-pearl was only 90%.
  • :mrgreen: This is one of those movie stills that anyone who was seeing movies at the time has burned into their brains; the only trick was to remember Macaulay Kulkin's character was named Kevin. This was my defensive play of the game; my opponent was 2-for-2 on film questions, so that one got the 0 assignment, even though I thought Q2 was easier.
  • :shock: I'm guessing Ivan Plis isn't in LL yet, because he tweeted this at 11:14AM:
    apologies to this Tim Rice but for a second I thought the lyricist of Jesus Christ Superstar, Evita, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, and AIDA had followed me
    Had I not already submitted (I generally play first thing in the morning before work) I would have had either the luckiest random knowledge encounter ever, or the worst moral dilemma about cheating ever, depending on perspective. (I didn't get it on my own, and wild-guessed Webber.)
  • :oops: Two years of Brit lit electives in high school, and four years as an English major, and guess which book was never covered by any of them? Yep, Moll Flanders
  • :( Dammit, Marketplace, you mention NYSE, FTSE (my guess), London, Nikkei, Henseng, but not EuroNext. Thanks for nothing. ;) I wonder if Kai Ryssdal is a LLama.
The best news for me is, with 22 people in R Summit Div 2, I'll face these same four people again at the end of the season. (They'll probably all come back and kick my butt. Oh well.)

badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

zerobandwidth wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:59 am
[*] :shock: I'm guessing Ivan Plis isn't in LL yet, because he tweeted this at 11:14AM:
apologies to this Tim Rice but for a second I thought the lyricist of Jesus Christ Superstar, Evita, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, and AIDA had followed me
Had I not already submitted (I generally play first thing in the morning before work) I would have had either the luckiest random knowledge encounter ever, or the worst moral dilemma about cheating ever, depending on perspective. (I didn't get it on my own, and wild-guessed Webber.)
[*] :oops: Two years of Brit lit electives in high school, and four years as an English major, and guess which book was never covered by any of them? Yep, Moll Flanders
I saw that tweet as well (after I had submitted) and looked up right away if he was on LearnedLeague; he is not. Waiting for the LL forum for this question to show up to see if anyone else noticed this. Count me as one of many who didn't RTFQ and went to Andrew Lloyd Webber right away. Didn't matter as my opponent appeared to have done the same (also an early submitter based on the Player Tracker).

Also, on Moll Flanders, thanks to OntarioQuizzer for this recap: https://thejeopardyfan.com/2017/10/fina ... -2017.html
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Dropped to 0-4 yesterday in my initial D rundle season which is pretty frustrating considering I've answered 3 or more questions correct on 3 out of 4 days, my defense is leading the rundle (.875, only given up 2 ufpa) and I'm above the middle of the pack in TCA. However, I'm also leading in CAA which is the problem. Yesterday my opponent with a 36% theatre (and 15% classical) got Tim Rice and I did not (ALW here) which was the difference since we both got Q1-Q3 correct. Argh!
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

badgerfellow wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:11 am Also, on Moll Flanders, thanks to OntarioQuizzer for this recap: https://thejeopardyfan.com/2017/10/fina ... -2017.html
DERP. Of all the recaps to not read carefully…

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I've never heard of Euronext, but I thought my guess of "BRAMBO" (Brussels, Amsterdam, Bourse) was pretty good!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I was two letters away from my first beer of the season, WAGging "Eurodex" instead of "Euronext". :cry:
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

dhkendall wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:04 am I was two letters away from my first beer of the season, WAGging "Eurodex" instead of "Euronext". :cry:
And I WAGged Eurex, which should be a thing if it isn't already.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Woof wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:19 am
dhkendall wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:04 am I was two letters away from my first beer of the season, WAGging "Eurodex" instead of "Euronext". :cry:
Although I'm not sure if it should be a stock exchange or condom brand...
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:21 am
Woof wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:19 am
Although I'm not sure if it should be a stock exchange or condom brand...
When your stock portfolio needs the best protection, trust Eurex™.