Learned League 75 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread

Post by jfrumkin »

dinghammer wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:31 am Until I started listening to Comedy Bang Bang regularly, I thought ALW was the lyricist. Now I know better, thanks to PFT.
I knew Rice off the bat since Webber did some of those and Elton John did some of those, meaning Rice was the one constant. But this comment wins everything. Heynong man.

ETA: I submitted a 1DS for CBB this time around and it didn't get accepted. I have some great questions in mind, too, if I ever get to do it.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mennoknight »

I hope it was just 12 questions about the Monster Mash's original lyrics.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

dhkendall wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:04 am I was two letters away from my first beer of the season, WAGging "Eurodex" instead of "Euronext". :cry:
yeah, i knew it was euro...something, but next wouldn't have ever crossed my mind
Total game show career losings = $171,522
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

mennoknight wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:48 pm I hope it was just 12 questions about the Monster Mash's original lyrics.
I'm in a meeting and bored and looking around the web and just got a dirty look because I did a poor job of stopping myself from laughing out loud. Nice one. "Scary Love was the subtitle of the 6th version of WHAT SONG by Leo Carpazzi and Scaroline?"
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

jfrumkin wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:01 pm
mennoknight wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:48 pm I hope it was just 12 questions about the Monster Mash's original lyrics.
I'm in a meeting and bored and looking around the web and just got a dirty look because I did a poor job of stopping myself from laughing out loud. Nice one. "Scary Love was the subtitle of the 6th version of WHAT SONG by Leo Carpazzi and Scaroline?"
SWAMP THING?
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mcsheffrey »

dhkendall wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:04 am I was two letters away from my first beer of the season, WAGging "Eurodex" instead of "Euronext". :cry:
Exact same scenario for me! Well, except that I was feeling semi-confident I had heard of something called 'Eurodex' before.

Coming up with Moll Flanders based solely on this criteria had me pumping my fist:

1. Named after a woman
2. Something old-timey
3. A plot that is completely unknown to me
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I guessed "Tess of the D'Ubervilles" and thought that was a pretty good guess.

I knew abby/ann landers were sisters but didnt know they were twins, so I guessed the olson twins.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

mcsheffrey wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:04 pm
Exact same scenario for me! Well, except that I was feeling semi-confident I had heard of something called 'Eurodex' before.

Coming up with Moll Flanders based solely on this criteria had me pumping my fist:

1. Named after a woman
2. Something old-timey
3. A plot that is completely unknown to me
I used the same logic and came up with Jane Eyre since I had seen Tess of the D'Urbervilles in high school and nothing in the description sounded familiar to the movie.

I'm glad I didn't come up with FTSE, since I too listen to money related radio and they always reference that, I can't remember hearing of Euronext.
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

mennoknight wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:03 pm
jfrumkin wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:01 pm
SWAMP THING?
:lol:
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MD4: Got 5 right, but so did my opponent! The perfect 9(6) still eludes me...

Moll Flanders is a really good read!

I put CAC40 for the stock market question and sorta expected it to be right :/

NHO Fisher so let me guess- cooking? nah, art history sounds better. Didn’t matter b/c I was assigned zero for that question, inexplicably

Almost left that twins question blank but thought, no, let me put something down. And got Ann Landers. It always makes me laugh to hear her name, as it reminds me of that SNL skit from the 80s:

Dear Ann Landers,
My husband and I just moved from Connecticut to Arkansas, where it is illegal to perform my husband's favorite sexual activity. What should I do?
Signed,
My Lips are Sealed
:lol:
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

OSXpert wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:07 pm I guessed "Tess of the D'Ubervilles" and thought that was a pretty good guess.
Stuff I've learned in the last year or so: Tess of the D'Urbervilles is subtitled A Pure Woman Faithfully Presented. Moll Flanders (it's easy to keep them straight if you think of a "gun moll") is basically the opposite.
reddpen wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:05 am Tied some guy named SterlacciJ tonight. Damn, no BWA for Q6, the European stock exchange.
Spoiler
BeNeFr
This is amazing. Slow clap.
Sprinkles are for winners.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Getting crushed right now, 1-3. I'm answering questions correctly at the rate I expect (2-3 each day), but I'm playing terrible defense, including a day where I had a DE of 0. Certainly didn't figure my opponent would get the Tim Rice question right at 2/8 in Theater, and get Abby/Ann Landers wrong with a 9/12 in Lifestyle.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:47 pm
reddpen wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:05 am Tied some guy named SterlacciJ tonight. Damn, no BWA for Q6, the European stock exchange.
Spoiler
BeNeFr
This is amazing. Slow clap.
Now it just seems like piggybacking...this was my WAG:
Spoiler
BeNePax
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

I thought I was going to go 0/6 when I saw the questions.

I don't care one bit about jewelry, so I had no clue on Q2, but, I had a vague memory of hearing about a three-word substance called "mother of (something)" that sounded sort of like the question, but, probably not. So I put "mother of" down. Then, I thought "hey, pearls are made from oysters, and 'pearl' sounds more promising than most words, so why don't I put it down?" But, if someone had asked me before the match if I knew what "mother of pearl" was, I would have had no idea. Imagine my surprise when I saw the answers!

Since when is "Moll Flanders" a full fifth of a 55-word title?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

countyguy wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:45 pm Since when is "Moll Flanders" a full fifth of a 55-word title?
It's not, but "The Fortunes and Misfortunes of the Famous Moll Flanders, &c." is.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:29 pm
countyguy wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:45 pm Since when is "Moll Flanders" a full fifth of a 55-word title?
It's not, but "The Fortunes and Misfortunes of the Famous Moll Flanders, &c." is.
Did anyone do the math on that? I checked on word count and it didn't come out very close to a fifth. Maybe using letter count it does? The exact 4/5 figure given in the question seemed like an odd writing choice.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:49 pm
seaborgium wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:29 pm
Did anyone do the math on that? I checked on word count and it didn't come out very close to a fifth. Maybe using letter count it does? The exact 4/5 figure given in the question seemed like an odd writing choice.
The math is 53 words out of 62 (.85) and 238 out of 286 letters (.83). So, it's close to 4/5, but 5/6 would have been better.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I said BeNeFra. Granted the a-less version makes a better wrong answer, but I was trying to be right.
I'm smart and I want respect.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I'm curious whether anyone answered "berries" to today's pop music question. I could only figure out Strawberry Alarm Clock and The Cranberries, and decided less specific was the way to go. It would seem "berries" would have to be unacceptable, not because of Bananarama, but because of Buckcherry.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:45 am I'm curious whether anyone answered "berries" to today's pop music question. I could only figure out Strawberry Alarm Clock and The Cranberries, and decided less specific was the way to go. It would seem "berries" would have to be unacceptable, not because of Bananarama, but because of Buckcherry.
I got credit for 'Berry'.