Learned League 75 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread

Post by countyguy »

My dad has won his last two matches 6(3)-5(3) and 7(3)-6(4), the latter against the previous rundle leader. Hooray for poor rookie defense!

I feel robbed because "Afternoon of the Faun" was not an MCW.
ouachiouat
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by ouachiouat »

Throwing down "fruit" for Q6 got me a win. I had no idea, but thought one of the bands might have been Bananarama, so I just had to decide whether to go with fruit or "only vowel in the name is A." I got 3 points for it, and won 9(5)-7(5). Only missed the hockey question, but with my high sports%, my opponent 0'd me on it.

I'm 3-1-1 so far, and each match where I've gotten a point has included at least one guess that worked (and in 2 cases gave me a win instead of a loss). This puts me in line for a promotion to A 1 season after I fought relegation to C. I guess it's better to be lucky than good, but me moving to A wouldn't be a good thing except for my opponents. I'm glad it's early, so I still have time to move back down to where I feel I should be, bouncing between B and C.
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

This first week has been my best week of LL in a long time. I am 3-1-1, currently in 8th place in C Pacific with 21 TCA! Receiving credit for "berries" was an added bonus this morning.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Thankfully, knowing that Dolores O'Riordan was the lead singer of the Cranberries was all I needed for the fruit question.

I pulled out a 6(4)-5(4) win yesterday. After a dismal opening day I closed out the week with 4 straight wins and a 15/24 get rate on the questions.

I am terrified for next week.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I know that it is early in the season, and this might not be so strange for LL, but the person who is leading my rundle has fewer TCA than everyone in the rundle until you get down to the person in 15th place, who they are tied with in TCA. Also, the first two people in the relegation zone and the person in dead last both have more TCA in than the leader, and none of them has a single forfeit. That seems crazy to me.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread (MD5)

Post by zerobandwidth »

(MD5) Turn out the lights, the streak is over, with a 5(4)-5(4) tie. Really fun questions this time around, and I just about leapt out of my chair when the 4/6 result came up upon submission.
  • :mrgreen: The statue in question is, approximately, this one; "approximately" because I can't find a picture of the original (maybe destroyed?) but there were many ancient copies. It's one of those classical sculptures that not everyone knows, but lots of folks do. The trick was to remember that the thrown object is a rare ancient Greek Frisbee discus.
  • :? I haven't followed the NHL since college. This was particularly painful because I realized only afterwards that I assigned the question two points, and my opponent is in Ontario. We had a short and delightful DM conversation about this match, in which he confessed that he doesn't follow hockey. Sure. I don't follow oxygen, either, but it sure is a part of my daily life. Two points to a Canadian on a hockey question. What a buffoon. :lol:
  • :mrgreen: I'll confess that my get on Namibia was based purely on tease-out from "South West Africa", which, IIRC, was the name of the territory under European colonial rule. I had no idea they didn't have an elected head of state until 1990, but entered it anyway.
  • :mrgreen: If you've heard of Claude Debussy then you've heard of Clair de Lune.
  • :oops: All those references to bands, and I didn't decipher any of them. I guessed alcohol instead of the correct fruit.
  • :mrgreen: Only 73% get rate for centigrade, given Celsius in the question? That was surprising.
This drops me to 3rd in the rundle behind two players (one undefeated) with significantly better MPDs.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

zerobandwidth wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:55 am
[*] :? I haven't followed the NHL since college. This was particularly painful because I realized only afterwards that I assigned the question two points, and my opponent is in Ontario. We had a short and delightful DM conversation about this match, in which he confessed that he doesn't follow hockey. Sure. I don't follow oxygen, either, but it sure is a part of my daily life. Two points to a Canadian on a hockey question. What a buffoon. :lol:
Games/Sports is my best category so I got a 1 on McDavid. This is as far as what I looked at for my opponent:

College: British Columbia Institute of Technology, University of British Columbia

Games/Sports was over .700 for him

I gave him a 1 as well and we both got McDavid right. I gave the 0 to centrigrade as I thought that was the easiest of the six.

DHK who got both me and my opponent in LL had 5 right with his miss the hockey guy. The price of that miss? 0 points.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Lost to SterlacciJ's six-pack. Shoulda had a tie but failed to pull Clair de Lune (went at it stupidly from the Verlaine angle). Still, I got a TOC FJ that he didnt so neener. :mrgreen:
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:45 am I'm curious whether anyone answered "berries" to today's pop music question. I could only figure out Strawberry Alarm Clock and The Cranberries, and decided less specific was the way to go. It would seem "berries" would have to be unacceptable, not because of Bananarama, but because of Buckcherry.
I was going to answer berry, then decided a cherry wasn't a berry and decided on fruit. Right before I submitted, I saw the bit about Bananarama, so I felt good about my answer.

So far, this season is harder for me than LL 74; I hope I can stay in A Con.
astrohip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by astrohip »

zerobandwidth wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:55 am
[*] :mrgreen: Only 73% get rate for centigrade, given Celsius in the question? That was surprising.
[/list]
Stunned me too. I gave it either a 0 or 1, and was amazed the get rate was less than 50%.

This is my first season of LL. I'm in Alpine R Div 1. I'm in first place, with a 5-0 record. Which I know won't last :)
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

astrohip wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:44 pm This is my first season of LL. I'm in Alpine R Div 1. I'm in first place, with a 5-0 record. Which I know won't last :)
Ha, I just noticed that you're battling my refer-ee, ZamenskiS, who dropped to 2nd after a tie on Friday. MD16 should be one to watch.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I recorded a 4(3)-3(2) victory on MD5, to end my first week in D rundle at 3-2 and in 10th place. Thorsten was generous on the pop music question; I said the acts had berries in their names and got credit for it. I knew Strawberry Alarm Clock and the Raspberries but wasn't sure about the other acts listed in the question.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

ElendilPickle wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:04 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:45 am I'm curious whether anyone answered "berries" to today's pop music question. I could only figure out Strawberry Alarm Clock and The Cranberries, and decided less specific was the way to go. It would seem "berries" would have to be unacceptable, not because of Bananarama, but because of Buckcherry.
I was going to answer berry, then decided a cherry wasn't a berry and decided on fruit. Right before I submitted, I saw the bit about Bananarama, so I felt good about my answer.
I figured out all the bands being referred to except for Buckcherry.

Had a very good first week. I'm 6th in my A rundle with a 3-1-1 record despite only 21 TCA.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

As far as the bands went, I thought one might be the Spice Girls, and had no idea about the rest of the clues. Now that I've seen the names of the bands that were referenced, I've only heard of Bananarama.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

The Spice Girls almost tripped me up too except I knew that Bananarama fit the rest of the theme. After I submitted the answers and I told my wife the question, she pointed out to me that the Spice Girls were not a trio--there were five of them--so even though the Spice Girls are the biggest selling female group of all time in Britain, they don't fit that part of the question (i.e., the biggest selling female trio).
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

SBurrus wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:48 pm I recorded a 4(3)-3(2) victory on MD5, to end my first week in D rundle at 3-2 and in 10th place. Thorsten was generous on the pop music question; I said the acts had berries in their names and got credit for it. I knew Strawberry Alarm Clock and the Raspberries but wasn't sure about the other acts listed in the question.
I'm kind of surprised that Thorsten gave credit for "berries", especially since the inclusion of Bananrama at the end seemed to suggest the intent for a trick question.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
astrohip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by astrohip »

trainman wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:38 pm
astrohip wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:44 pm This is my first season of LL. I'm in Alpine R Div 1. I'm in first place, with a 5-0 record. Which I know won't last :)
Ha, I just noticed that you're battling my refer-ee, ZamenskiS, who dropped to 2nd after a tie on Friday. MD16 should be one to watch.
Anyone I would know from TCF?
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

As a pedant, I must point out that a strawberry is technically a cluster or aggregate of achenes, and not actually a berry.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

georgespelvin wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:43 am
SBurrus wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:48 pm I recorded a 4(3)-3(2) victory on MD5, to end my first week in D rundle at 3-2 and in 10th place. Thorsten was generous on the pop music question; I said the acts had berries in their names and got credit for it. I knew Strawberry Alarm Clock and the Raspberries but wasn't sure about the other acts listed in the question.
I'm kind of surprised that Thorsten gave credit for "berries", especially since the inclusion of Bananrama at the end seemed to suggest the intent for a trick question.
A Banana is a berry, but a cherry is not. Four of the five you could make the claim for either being a berry botanically or having berry in their name, but absolutely he should not have counted berry as correct since one of the five was cherry.

Not the first time we've gone down this road with thorsten as there once was a question that referenced Darryl strawberry, Huckleberry Finn, and Marion Barry.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

We all know that Thorsten tends toward generosity. How you feel about that often depends on whether his generosity helped you or hurt you in a particular match! :)