Learned League 75 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

boson
Trivial

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread

Post by boson »

So LL going on hiatus is annoying, but going on hiatus for a holiday I don't get to celebrate is beyond annoying. Sigh.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread (MD7)

Post by zerobandwidth »

(MD7) Well, it had to happen sometime. My opponent correctly answered all the questions in categories in which he was previously 0-X, which steamrolled my defense for a 4(3)-8(4) loss. I'm still 3rd in R Summit Div 2 but no longer have a one-game lock on it (other players are back to within one win/loss of me).
  • :mrgreen: I suspect most folks have heard of "crossing the Rubicon" but I didn't learn until reading this question why that was such a big deal.
  • :mrgreen: This is the wildest correct answer so far. I've never read the Love Story novel, or seen the movie, but I have seen What's Up, Doc?.
  • :evil: AAARGH. Years of sitting through American Idol with my wife, for NOTHING! Dammit Paula Abdul! Also gave this up as a three-pointer.
  • :evil: Similarly, an extra E ("cheveaux" instead of chevaux) cost me two points. Q3 and Q4 together would have given me a 9(5). The MCWA, "chevalier", is surprising, because it's a relatively well-known and different word (knight), and isn't a French plural.
  • :( Derp's gonna derp. Haven't been paying as much attention to the news as usual, and Paradise Papers made no impression on me. These media-assigned names of document dumps tend to be as contrived and meaningless as the names now assigned to low pressure systems in winter. I was saved from feeling too bad about it by seeing that my opponent gave it a 0, so he must have been ecstatic when I spotted him another easy 2.
  • :mrgreen: Again, I do the grocery shopping, and I walk past rose hips in the vitamin aisle. It's sufficiently silly-sounding that it stuck in my head.
Last edited by zerobandwidth on Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

I didn't know Q1, but I had seen some sort of J! or LL question at some point connecting the Rubicon to Julius Caesar, and a vague memory of it was enough for the get.

I didn't know Q4, and know nothing about French grammar, but I had a vague memory of seeing the correct answer while playing the International Pluralism category in this game after reading this post. It had been several years and I didn't remember for sure, but I still was able to pull out a correct guess.

NHO or barely heard of the other four, but those two were enough for my second consecutive 3(2)-2(3) win to put me into the promotion zone.

Sometimes I feel really artificial because of how many of my (relatively few) gets come from things like that, even though that's inevitable since I don't read, pay attention to pop culture, or follow the news as much as I should but do spend a decent chunk of my procrastination/mindless time idly browsing LL or the J! Archive.
Last edited by countyguy on Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

6(4)-6(4) - missed a win against the second to last player in my rundle with the MCWA of Panama Papers :?

cheval/chevaux was a gimme for anyone who paid attention in French class

Was never getting Love Story so I effectively left it blank: 50 shades of no clue
1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

I'm in the bottom of my Rundle now, and struggling to get out of relegation zone. I did deserve to lose yesterday, answering 3 correct to my opponent's 5. My opponent was 0-12 in Film and 3-14 in Literature, so I assigned 3 for Love Story, which I was only wildly guessing at.

He's now 1-13 in Film.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:00 am cheval/chevaux was a gimme for anyone who paid attention in French class
Not for me. I couldn't remember if it was spelled chevaux or cheveaux and decided the latter version looked right.

I had never heard of the "Paradise Papers" so was surprised that one polled over 50%. I'm not great at current events, but usually the answer at least looks familiar to me when I see it. Luckily my opponent missed the same two questions I did and we ended up tying.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:43 am
morbeedo wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:00 am cheval/chevaux was a gimme for anyone who paid attention in French class
Not for me. I couldn't remember if it was spelled chevaux or cheveaux and decided the latter version looked right.

I had never heard of the "Paradise Papers" so was surprised that one polled over 50%. I'm not great at current events, but usually the answer at least looks familiar to me when I see it. Luckily my opponent missed the same two questions I did and we ended up tying.
Generally speaking, the word has to end in -eau to get to -eaux.

I had heard of the Panama Papers, but had no idea that there was another similar incident just this month.
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

boson wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:58 am So LL going on hiatus is annoying, but going on hiatus for a holiday I don't get to celebrate is beyond annoying. Sigh.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Hey, we have a pumpkin pie for dessert tomorrow. Just no turkey because it is not a holiday in stupid Ontario. <american grumbling>
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

C'est dommage!! You mixed up the plurals for horse and hair (cheveux)

Coming in at 36%, it was the toughest question of MD7

At first, I thought, is this a trick? Is the answer chevals? But then I knew chevaux was the way to go
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

My opponent's film percentage is .938, so I gave him a 0 on Love Story.. It was the only question he missed, and we tied 9(5)-9(6). :roll:
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 pm
Merde.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

At first, I thought, is this a trick? Is the answer chevals? But then I knew chevaux was the way to go
I figured that anyone old enough to recall the iconic Citröen Deux Chevaux would have a good clue about this (yes, it does mean chevrons in this context). It helps that I get my hair cut at a place named Beaux Cheveux.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Woof wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:10 pm

I figured that anyone old enough to recall the iconic Citröen Deux Chevaux would have a good clue about this (yes, it does mean chevrons in this context). It helps that I get my hair cut at a place named Beaux Cheveux.
Some of us might even refer to that car as the 2CV

Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:49 am Took a loss yesterday primarily because I overthought the geography question and went with Orinoco rather than Amazon. My opponent was able to come up with Nan Goldin. I can't recall ever hearing about her. That was a toughie for sure. I put down Diane Arbus, but turns out she died in the early 1970s.
That was me, too. Made two straight games where I'd leaned the right away about something for over twenty-three and a half hours, but switched to wrong at the last minute. On the other hand, "chevaux" came to me only late after rattling around in my head all day.

I guessed Liebovitz though I thought (a) she didn't look like that, and (b) was a bit older. Did not know Ms Goldin.
I'm smart and I want respect.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

clprez wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:42 pm My first win of the season. My DE is finally above .500. I'm not very good at defense, which is why I didn't join a private rundle.
DE is nice, but not the be-all, end-all. I have over .900 DE, but I'm in 22nd place because I've had 32 correct answers against. C'est dommage indeed.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

This really is more "luck" than "my opponents are playing bad defense."

zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

Spoiler
LL75 MD4 Q2, in which the major clue was "nacre" and the correct response was mother of pearl, was echoed in the "MOTHER" category in tonight's J! episode.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Thanks to LL, I was able to tell my niece and nephew that the drawings they were doing were better than Helen Frankenthaler's.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Boy, I really shouldn't post this, but it made me so happy and was such a delightful surprise (was expecting to lose because I said Bayern instead of Bayeux for the tapestry), but what the hell: owing largely* to a run of people having off days when they play me (leading A Cont in CAA by four points), for the first time since LL52, I'm first in an A rundle.

Good luck, Woof!

*But not entirely: I did throw down a 6-pack last week against longtime nemesis bomtr, against whom I'm now 2-8-3 lifetime.
Last edited by reddpen on Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
In and out of the pool four times
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

My first 9(6) yesterday.

Took me nearly all day to remember G. Gordon Liddy's name. I knew he was a conservative talk show host like in the 80s (and maybe later, too), but I just wasn't pulling his name.

Boston Cream Pie was a guess. (It didn't look like a pie, and none of the clues made sense, but the baked beans suggested Boston (is that related to their nickname of Beantown) to me, so I took a stab. I guess the first image is of Boston Market? I don't know. And I have no idea what the second image is of.