Learned League 75 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread

Post by StevenH »

The questions continue to play easy, as I got a 7(5)-4(4) win. Having 5 correct all but guarantees a win in D rundle, but I was a little worried since the questions that I pegged as easy were in my opponent's bad categories (art, food/drink) and the ones that I pegged as harder were in their good categories (American history and geography). The Literature question was the easy choice for a 3, and the other one that they missed was "adrenal," which I gave a 2 (my opponent was a little over .500 in science).

I was surprised that Bayeux played as tough as it did, unless people just didn't know that that was the name of a diocese. I was also worried that adrenal was wrong, since the name "androgen" was given and it sounded so similar, but I had no other guesses. I also don't know what the deal has been with the literature questions the last two seasons; I'm 0-3 this season and I think that I only got 2 or 3 lit questions right last season. I'm barely over .500 in that category now!

boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I thought I had a 6 pack going yesterday...

I saw the beans for the Boston clue and it must have subliminally influenced me: it was not G. Gordon Libby who did the Watergate break in... :roll:

I erased Adrenal to write pineal gland.

Sigh.

georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

It wasn't until I got here that I finally connected with Bayeaux Tapestry. It just raised a big question mark with me during and after the round. It was my only miss, but my opponent gave me a zero for it, so I wound up 9(5). Still 3-5 and barely out of relegation.

My opponent gave me a three on the Watergate question despite the fact that I live in the D.C. area and American History is my best LL category. :shock:

The other questions were easy for me, including the rare Science and Food correct responses.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.

1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

I gave 3 points for Boston Cream Pie to my opponent who was 3-12 in Food/Drink. He's now 4-13. I seem to play the worst defense possible.
Now swimming in the J! pool.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

tiwonge wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:03 am
I guess the first image is of Boston Market? I don't know. And I have no idea what the second image is of.
Yes, it is a Boston Market. The 2nd image is apparently something called Boston lettuce. Can't say I've ever heard of it.

classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

I've lived in New England almost all my life and the three clues really meant nothing to me initially. I did instantly think Boston Cream Pie, then thought for a while what the heck beans and romaine or some other lettuce had to do with "cream" or "pie" since I was sure the first pic was Boston Market. It seems all three pics were referring to Boston only and not the entire answer which is the way interpreted the question. Alas, I only got a 4(3)-4(2) tie despite more correct answers and my opponent missing questions in her two best categories and then of course getting the lit question which was her second worst category of the day.

RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

StevenH wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:50 am
I was surprised that Bayeux played as tough as it did, unless people just didn't know that that was the name of a diocese.
Diocese, schmiocese. "famous" + "embroidered cloth" + "commemorate the victory of William the Conqueror". WECIB... provided you know of the tapestry in the first place. I figured that a non-trivial %age either just didn't know of it or couldn't think of the name. I didn't know that Bayeux was a diocese or a location, but immediately thought WECIB.
"The COMPLETE GUIDE To Republican Ethics: tRump Edition" is right ===> here

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

boson wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:25 am
I erased Adrenal to write pineal gland.

Sigh.
I nearly did the same when I noticed the similarity to androgen, but switched back because the phrasing of the question had glands as plural.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

The "Hell is ___" one prevented a six-pack for me yesterday. I knew it would be something I'd recognize, but couldn't come up with it. Still won the match and I'm in 7th place in my rundle despite being about 30 points below my career QPct. A .935 DE has certainly helped!

Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

The good news is that I had my first 9(6) of the season. The bad news is that my opponent also had a 9(6). First time that has happened to me.

bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

The good news is I drank my first beer this season. My opponent missed a question. The bad news is we tied. Way to trick me, Woof.

morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by morbeedo »

Watergate is a serious black hole for me; nevertheless, I was able to course correct from Scooter Libby to Gordon Liddy. Sometimes it helps to know little to nothing about a subject so you can't overthink the question :)

I didn't like that food/drink question, but got Boston Cream Pie anyway. Didn't realize the pie is really a cake and NHO Boston baked beans, but I did recognize the Boston Market and that gorgeous head of Boston Bibb lettuce ;)

My second 9(6) in 4 seasons of LL! Sitting pretty in 1st Place, Continental B, but there are many MDs to go!

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

bomtr wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:00 pm
The good news is I drank my first beer this season. My opponent missed a question. The bad news is we tied. Way to trick me, Woof.
You probably heard when I submitted: the sound of my head hitting the desk should have been audible all the way to Bellingham. Two Watergate co-conspirators in the WH? Haldeman and Ehrlichman, tout court. Yes, Ehrlichman, that guy who had the radio talk show back in the '90s :oops: I was even picturing G Gordon Liddy when I answered the blasted question. I was obviously delirious with self-satisfaction after correctly pulling Hell is Other People. Oh, well, my first Dolly Parton (thanks, bomtr)

zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

This week has already not been good for me. I usually DM my opponents a "Good luck today!" but if this keeps up they're not going to need it. Had an OK showing on MD8 but OK is not going to cut it.
  • :mrgreen: The timeframe and "tapestry" are the tease-outs for Bayeux for anyone (like myself) who knew nothing else about the actual place.
  • :cry: "Hmm. Well, when in doubt, pituitary." _(writes in a few other answers, looks back)_ "Wait! Adrenal! Yeah… hmm. No, I shouldn't second-guess myself." _(submits)_ "Or maybe I should."
  • :mrgreen: I don't think I've ever seen anything called Boston cream pie that wasn't a doughnut. Did anyone else recognize the Boston Market logo on the guy's hat? And what's the deal with the lettuce?
  • :oops: I should have known this, and when I read it out to my wife afterward, she said instantly, "You didn't immediately think of 'Hell is other people?'" Thanks, dear.
  • :( Derp. Before my time, and I never caught Frost/Nixon.
  • :oops: And another head-slapper on Golan Heights.
A 3(2)-6(3) loss drops me to 6th in rundle and also gives me the 3rd worst MPD of anyone in the rundle who has clung to a winning record. And my next several opponents are all from the top half of the standings.

Congrats to those who opened a six-pack yesterday! Whether you thought it was an easy day or not, it's still a big deal!
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest

clprez

Post by clprez »

A rare 5 correct for me. I missed the "Hell is..." question.

I have actually been to Bayeux and seen the tapestry, and had no idea if it was a diocese or not, but WECIB?

When I saw the 4 boston pictures, I actually thought it looked like a Boston Cream Pie before verifying it with the beans and market.

reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

zerobandwidth wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:46 pm
[*] Before my time, and I never caught Frost/Nixon.[/list]
Don't think Frost/Nixon would help much here, but All the President's Men and especially the underrated spoof Dick would. Will Ferrell as Bob Woodward and Harry Shearer as Liddy, plus Kirsten Dunst, Michelle Williams, Teri Garr, Ana Gasteyer (of SNL fame) and Ryan Reynolds? Well worth an hour and a half, if only for the "Hello, Dolly" scene and the origin of Deep Throat as an alias.
Back in the pool

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Epinephrine = adrenaline -> adrenal. That took me way too long to get, but luckily the plural "glands" kept me from settling on all the glands I previously brainstormed.

teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

It helps (for me at least) to remember that "epi-nephr-ine" and "ad-renal-ine" both basically mean "on top of the kidneys".
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.

cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

teapot37 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:39 pm
It helps (for me at least) to remember that "epi-nephr-ine" and "ad-renal-ine" both basically mean "on top of the kidneys".
Oh man, I never stopped to parse out epinephrine before, I just knew that they were the same thing. Yay science!

I am thoroughly enjoying the battle in Rundle in the Jundle 5. No sarcasm, Big Daddy Matty is a difficult foe! I am currently 2 out of 2, despite two more correct answers. I am also playing quite above my normal average, so I figure I am due for a TCA correction any time now.

dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

So it had to happen eventually: after a terrific start to the season, I only got Isuzu right yesterday. I got Grant Hill and Reggie Miller mixed up, and I'm mad I couldn't think of Sikhism.