Learned League 75 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:54 am
zerobandwidth wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:57 am I need to learn to submit later in the day. Q3 asked to identify this person. I had no clue in the world. She's Meghan Markle, apparently. An hour after submitting, I stumbled across this tweet from Jennifer Morrow. Sigh.
Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you'd be cheating if you saw this tweet subsequent to reading yesterday's questions and changing your answer as a result. Of course if you saw the tweet before looking at the LL question then it's fair game.
Thorsten has never clarified this position, though it's been debated on the LL Message Board many times. I used to strongly agree with your take, but I've softened on the matter a bit lately.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I try to read the questions first thing in the morning and then submit as soon as possible to avoid this situation coming up.

Today's interesting stat for me: I'm leading my rundle for least TPA with 97. The next best is 111!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Couldn't come up with the name of the seafood chain, but Treasure Island did make it to my short list. Alas, I went with Peter Pan after eliminating Moby Dick and 20,000 Leagues...Still would have lost the match, so I'm not crying about that one. And yeah, Peter Pan was a play

Don't know anything about sports but I thought USA was the right answer for the FIFA World Cup question since I'd heard about our spectacular elimination. Turns out it was good enough for another MCWA!

2 consecutive losses now and a tumble to 2nd place. I know I'll get destroyed next season if I do get promoted to A Continental, but I'd still like to have a shot at it!

This is me when I open the LL email in the morning and see that:
I won: :P
I tied: :|
I lost: :(
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

That was the first regular season TV question I've missed in just over 2 calendar years (and I still didn't get a 0 for it, so lost on horrible defense on my part).
Twitter: @jfrumkin
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:16 pm I try to read the questions first thing in the morning and then submit as soon as possible to avoid this situation coming up.

Today's interesting stat for me: I'm leading my rundle for least TPA with 97. The next best is 111!
I've still got an UffPA of 6, a personal best for me, but alas comes largely from the deluge of beer on defense.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Lefty wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:52 am
seaborgium wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:07 am
Lefty wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:46 am I wrote "scull" and I don't know if it was accepted or not. I don't like to look at Friday's result when I sense it's bad until it's Monday and I have bigger problems.

I considered Beverly Hillbillies but switched to the Flintstones, which really did feel like an inspiration. Also hadn't realized what a young pup Queen Latifah is.
Not recalling your nom de Llam', I can't check if "scull" was accepted or not, but I'm guessing that it was, and that the commissioner didn't want to penalize people who figured out "scull," thought the question compelled a suffix, and chose the wrong one.
YoungR, though I guess I never announced it here.
Argus?
In and out of the pool four times
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Woof wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:06 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:04 pm I can thank reading Birds Without Wings for coming up with the Ottoman Empire. I probably wouldn't have come up with it otherwise.
Hmm... I thought that it was pretty common knowledge that WW I spelled the end of two aging empires: Hapsburg/HRE and Ottoman. As usual, I'll have to rethink my assumptions.
Not to mention the Romanovs, though I suppose their downfall was less directly related to WWI.

This seems like an apt place to snivel about being one of just three in A Cont to get a 6-pack on MD18--believe me, it's not every day I outpoint bomtr, ElendilPickle, slam and Woof--and one of the others was my opponent. #ARundleProblems

I'm part of the mass that said Dutch East India Company. NHO the West variation.
In and out of the pool four times
Woof

Post by Woof »

reddpen wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:53 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:04 pm I can thank reading Birds Without Wings for coming up with the Ottoman Empire. I probably wouldn't have come up with it otherwise.
Hmm... I thought that it was pretty common knowledge that WW I spelled the end of two aging empires: Hapsburg/HRE and Ottoman. As usual, I'll have to rethink my assumptions.
Not to mention the Romanovs, though I suppose their downfall was less directly related to WWI.

This seems like an apt place to snivel about being one of just three in A Cont to get a 6-pack on MD18--believe me, it's not every day I outpoint bomtr, ElendilPickle, slam and Woof--and one of the others was my opponent. #ARundleProblems

I'm part of the mass that said Dutch East India Company. NHO the West variation.
You and me both. I answered East India company with a voice in my head saying "they were never in the New World, were they?" To which I internally responded WECIB. Presto, press Submit and find out, Woof. My MCWA total is ballooning.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Woof wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:40 pm
reddpen wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:53 pm

You and me both. I answered East India company with a voice in my head saying "they were never in the New World, were they?" To which I internally responded WECIB. Presto, press Submit and find out, Woof. My MCWA total is ballooning.
Problem for me was the (British) East India Company is the bad guy in the 2+3rd Pirates of the Caribbean movies...a perfect storm of "Oops."
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Woof

Post by Woof »

Oof! Welp, yesterday the whole edifice came crashing to the ground. Too many Kosman Koins, almost Rosencrantz and Guildenstern-esque. Pakistan/Afghanistan, Ford/Coolidge, Invasion of the Body Snatchers/The Day the Earth Stood Still. Argh. Thank goodness for Shawn Mendes, an answer that I had absolutely no shot at :mrgreen:
1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

21 days in, and I'm slated for relegation and have been for most of the season. I'm really good at giving up 3 pointers. Yesterday, it was the geography question to someone who was previously 10-32 on it.

9 people are within 4 points higher of me, so I need to win and get some people to lose and I'll be fine.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

(MD20) :( :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( 1(2)-3(2) L 10-8-2 (10th/22 ▼1)

Of course my opponent, 0-8 on Pop Music going into the MD, got Q1 right for two points. Combined with her perfect defense of my paltry two correct answers, it was a solid win for her. Q4 (Calvin Coolidge) had only a 34% get rate across the league, but I gave her a 1 on it, and she gave me a 0. :lol:

After a 5-0-1 start I had delusions of being in the B transfer but at this rate I'll be lucky to stay in the D transfer. My only hope is that none my five remaining opponents, all but one of whom are in the E transfer, don't pull off an upset.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Woof wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:55 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:16 pm I try to read the questions first thing in the morning and then submit as soon as possible to avoid this situation coming up.

I've still got an UffPA of 6, a personal best for me, but alas comes largely from the deluge of beer on defense.
Impressive! I'm barely hanging in the single-digit club (but still have a worse DE than the person with 12 UfPA, which kinda makes sense with the scoring, but kinda doesn't). :)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I've got no hope of winning my rundle, but I am still leading Fjord in the Sandra standings, so that's something!
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

and oh yeah I almost forgot to post this:
LL75-MD20-Q1-whatever.png
LL75-MD20-Q1-whatever.png (24.61 KiB) Viewed 5183 times
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

zerobandwidth wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:40 am and oh yeah I almost forgot to post this:
I had no idea on Q1, so I went for BWA with "Tim Horton".

My opponents have seen my low get rates for Pop Music, Film, and TV and invariably assign lots of points to those questions. I'm now 6-10-4 and slowly circling the drain toward relegation.
JLJ
Valued Contributor

Post by JLJ »

zerobandwidth wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:40 am and oh yeah I almost forgot to post this:
You stole my answer.
I'm living proof to show that a good attitude, a Southern accent, a ridiculous beard, and a middling amount of trivia knowledge can get you onto Jeopardy!
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

My very strange season in A Magnolia continues. After only three right, (golf course, Shawn Mendes, and Erewhon), I was ready for a loss. However, I managed a spectacular win thanks to my opponent having horrendous defense: 7(3) to 6(4).

We also got to find a gem of a book at the elementary school bookfair last night: http://www.scholastic.ca/books/view/sha ... ts-my-time , complete with the blurb on being discovered on vine on the back cover. Fortunately,
we had both already submitted. :-)

Last edited by cmp146 on Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Ontario certainly has been a hotbed of pop music talent lately, that's for sure!
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

I consistently get Shawn Desman and Shawn Mendes mixed up. Ontario pop problems.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.