Learned League 75 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

plasticene
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread

Post by plasticene »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:02 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:58 am Even though I won my match yesterday I'm disappointed because my opponent missed my zero point defensive question which was the one about the Presidential Range. I would have thought that even if the range wasn't well known most people could suss it out by extrapolating off of Mt. Washington.

I'm now in second place in the Sandra standings.
I dropped from .862 to .807 in DE, and from #2 to #8 in Laguna's Sandra standings, by giving up an 8(4). The highest I could get my DE back up to now is .854, and that would require all four of my remaining opponents to score 2(3).
Sorry for blowing up your DE! I have a friend who works for Blizzard, but I don't know anything about WoW. I really thought Magic: the Gathering would be the answer.

I guessed correctly that the stabbing happened at Altamont, but I couldn't remember the name of the film. I didn't remember it was the Stones until I saw the answer, which I was nowhere near coming up with.

After Friday's match, I still wasn't mathematically eliminated from first place--I just needed WehrmanM to forfeit the rest of his matches, and to win my last three matches by a combined MPD of at least 20 points (just 19 points if I got everything right). Unfortunately, he submitted today, so that vanishingly small chance is gone!
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

"Sam Hell" was accepted, although why I changed it from Sam Hill just before submitting will forever remain a mystery.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Curious what the record for giving up Dollys is, cuz ElendilPickle must be making a run at it with five so far.

Best of luck to all--finish strong!
In and out of the pool four times
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:21 am "Sam Hell" was accepted, although why I changed it from Sam Hill just before submitting will forever remain a mystery.
I said Sam Hell as well, and that is what I had always heard. I'll listen more closely to the next movie with unnatural dialogue that has the term.

I messed up on the Frankfurt question : I just wrote 'am Main' since Frankfurt was in the question. It wasn't accepted.

I made it halfway through reading the English Patient 25 years ago. I'll gladly take the loss on trivia questions about it - it is better than the alternative of reading the book again.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Usually 5/6 is good for a win in D rundle, but I tied 7(5)-7(5) yesterday. My opponent's worst category was geography and their third worst was film, but I took a chance and gave them 3 for The English Patient and 2 for Frankfurt, thinking that Germany is a pretty popular tourist destination and they may be well traveled. So much for that plan. The English Patient was the only one I didn't know; if only I had known to approach the question from the angle of Best Picture winners!

Also, I got credit for "Frankfurt en Main."
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Another brutal match for morbeedo. Really had no guess at all on 4 questions. Had I pulled out English Patient, I would’ve won. But only got Van Eyck for a 1(1)-2(2) loss

NHO Sam Hill. Kept looking at that question thinking I should know this but alas- no clue
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Originally had "Sam Hell" but changed it to "blue blazes" since that sounded more like a euphemism for hell to me.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bwahaha. A 9(5)-5(4) victory for me. I was beating myself up most of the day thinking I knew the answer to The English Patient question, but couldn't come up with it. I finally gave up, and when I saw the answer, said to myself that there was no way in Sam Hill I'd have gotten to that.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:21 am "Sam Hell" was accepted, although why I changed it from Sam Hill just before submitting will forever remain a mystery.
Luckily, 'Hell' and 'Hill' are just a slight accent apart.

And since when is 'Principia Mathematica' commonly referred to as 'Principia'? Wish they didn't qualify that one with 'one word'... "Okay, it's not Optics. PM is two words..." *whirling beach ball icon pops up in brain*
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:48 am And since when is 'Principia Mathematica' commonly referred to as 'Principia'?
I've heard it referred to as just "Principia" quite often.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Survived yesterday with a 1(2)-1(2) tie (we both got Sam Hill and Principia). I was close on a couple of others--said "interference" without "pass" and "Frankfurt-am-Rhein". But my favorite thing about checking results this morning is that, as long as I don't forfeit tomorrow, I've clinched non-relegation. After 1 season as a rookie and 2 seasons in D, LL76 will be my 10th consecutive season in C. I wonder if that's an unusually long run for a middle level (I'm sure that some A players have stayed in A for long periods without being relegated).
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

66% league get rate and I'm still not connecting at all on "Sam Hill." (Sam Juan Hill I know.)

Except for an occasional "Die already!" popping into my head, I'm thrilled about not having thought about The English Patient in 20 years.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

teapot37 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:29 am Originally had "Sam Hell" but changed it to "blue blazes" since that sounded more like a euphemism for hell to me.
I started with "blue blazes" but concluded that the question was asking for a proper name, and guessed right on "Sam Hill".

On the other hand, I'm kicking myself for answering "Cranach the Elder" rather than "Jan Van Eyck" on Q1. Van Eyck has come up on Jeopardy more than once.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

RandyG wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:36 pm 66% league get rate and I'm still not connecting at all on "Sam Hill." (Sam Juan Hill I know.)

Except for an occasional "Die already!" popping into my head, I'm thrilled about not having thought about The English Patient in 20 years.
"What in Sam Hill?" is, IMO, a rural-ism and might not be well known in urban centers. At least, in my head when I hear the expression, it definitely is spoken with a twang. That was one of those clues that was an instaget, but then I spent the next 2 minutes looking at the written answer and second guessing myself about whether it was Sam or some other name. I'm surprised at all this hate directed toward The English Patient. I was lukewarm on the movie, but I did appreciate Michael Ondaatje's novel.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

reddpen wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:25 am Curious what the record for giving up Dollys is, cuz ElendilPickle must be making a run at it with five so far.

I had to look at the LL page to see what a Dolly Parton is. Not sure I want to know why it's called that, but whatever I'm doing, it certainly isn't deliberate. :)

This season has been much harder for me than LL 74, so I'm quite happy to be in the middle of the rundle.
reddpen

Post by reddpen »

ElendilPickle wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:08 pm
reddpen wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:25 am Curious what the record for giving up Dollys is, cuz ElendilPickle must be making a run at it with five so far.

I had to look at the LL page to see what a Dolly Parton is. Not sure I want to know why it's called that, but whatever I'm doing, it certainly isn't deliberate. :)

This season has been much harder for me than LL 74, so I'm quite happy to be in the middle of the rundle.
For some a score of 9(5) calls to mind one of her better-known songs.

You're still batting .819 on QPct this season, down just a few points from your previous three consecutive .833 seasons.
reddpen

Post by reddpen »

Woof wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:42 pm
RandyG wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:36 pm 66% league get rate and I'm still not connecting at all on "Sam Hill." (Sam Juan Hill I know.)

I'm surprised at all this hate directed toward The English Patient. I was lukewarm on the movie, but I did appreciate Michael Ondaatje's novel.
Haven't read the book or seen the movie, but Elaine has.
There must be a way to embed video here...

Edited by alietr. To embed a video, just put in the URL. It will automatically show up as a video (i.e., don't put it in URL tags.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

reddpen wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:42 pm
Woof wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:42 pm

I'm surprised at all this hate directed toward The English Patient. I was lukewarm on the movie, but I did appreciate Michael Ondaatje's novel.
Haven't read the book or seen the movie, but Elaine has.
There must be a way to embed video here...
My attempts to embed have failed, but here's another.

Also edited by alietr to remove URL tags.
Last edited by acthomas on Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Woof wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:42 pm I'm surprised at all this hate directed toward The English Patient. I was lukewarm on the movie, but I did appreciate Michael Ondaatje's novel.
Yeah, I would probably appreciate it more now, but I was slightly less sophisticated than my current urbane self when I tried last.

Now please excuse me while I return to watching hockey fights on YouTube and responding to all the comments.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

reddpen wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:29 pm
ElendilPickle wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:08 pm

For some a score of 9(5) calls to mind one of her better-known songs.

You're still batting .819 on QPct this season, down just a few points from your previous three consecutive .833 seasons.
LOL - the light dawned just before I opened this thread again!