Learned League 75 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread (MD5)

Post by trainman »

astrohip wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:25 am Anyone I would know from TCF?
No, she's not on TCF -- she's someone I know from a different forum.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread

Post by seaborgium »

I initially typed in "Amazonas" for the South American states, and then I got scared, and had to decide whether it would be worse to say "Amazonas" and be marked wrong because "Amazon" was correct, or vice versa. Eventually I got rid of "as," preferring a sin of omission over one of commission, and it ended up not mattering (although "Amazonas" was clearly the better of the two). I'm 5/6 on going 5/6 this season (and I'm glad I didn't notice that until MD6 was over, because I would have gone crazy having to hold back that tidbit till now!).
SBurrus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by SBurrus »

I earned a 2(2)-1(2) victory on MD6, jumping from 10th place to 5th place in the rundle. I was one of the few who could not come up with fondue; my opponent did get it, but it didn't hurt me too much. We both got diphthong...I got Boss Tweed, and she, surprisingly, missed it.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:41 pm We all know that Thorsten tends toward generosity. How you feel about that often depends on whether his generosity helped you or hurt you in a particular match! :)
I can finally scratch my itch and respond to this after waiting for almost an entire day--I was relieved that Thorsten didn't "ding" me for my misspelling of diphthong (I left out the "h"). I still lost and am 2-4, barely out of relegation. Worse, I've completely blanked out on how to play defense and am dead last in MPD. I actually was near or at the top defensively in the last few competitions (including ML and 1Ds) I've done here.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread (MD6)

Post by zerobandwidth »

(MD6) Did a little dance around the kitchen this morning after reading the daily email that revealed a 6(5)-5(3) win, solidifying a hold on 3rd place with a 5-0-1 record in R Summit Div 2.
  • :mrgreen: The "melted" hint tipped me toward fondue, but I was addled by trying to figure out what any of the other noise in the clue was trying to tell me. In the end I just shrugged and went with my gut.
  • :mrgreen: I think I might post two separate polls on the LL forum:
    • How many people had "dipthong" instead of diphthong?
    • How many people bit on the word "gliding" and guessed "elision" instead? (I was surprised this didn't show up as MCWA.)
  • :mrgreen: "Boss" Tweed is one of those characters that you either read about in history books or hear about in Looney Tunes shorts. The picture of the tweed jacket was practically a giveaway.
  • :mrgreen: Squeaked through on the generosity of the benevolent Commissioner with "Amazonia" instead of Amazonas.
  • :?: I feel a little bad about my low record in art questions. I don't feel bad about missing a question with a 0% get rate in my rundle and a 6% get rate across the entire League.
  • :mrgreen: I would like to thank Cheech, Chong, and a bare-minimal knowledge of Arabic words for getting me this point.
This was a tad frustrating because a 5/6 is probably going to be pretty rare for me, and I still only managed a +1 MPD on a 5-vs-3 win. I posted a perfect defense against the League's get rates, but gave up 2, 1, and 2 points to this opponent. The two rundlemates ahead of me have double and triple my MPD, the latter in part from a 9(6)-0(1) followed by a forfeit win. Grr. Oh well.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

zerobandwidth wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:48 am (MD6) Did a little dance around the kitchen this morning after reading the daily email that revealed a 6(5)-5(3) win, solidifying a hold on 3rd place with a 5-0-1 record in R Summit Div 2.
  • :mrgreen: The "melted" hint tipped me toward fondue, but I was addled by trying to figure out what any of the other noise in the clue was trying to tell me. In the end I just shrugged and went with my gut.
  • :mrgreen: I think I might post two separate polls on the LL forum:
    • How many people had "dipthong" instead of diphthong?
    • How many people bit on the word "gliding" and guessed "elision" instead? (I was surprised this didn't show up as MCWA.)
  • :mrgreen: "Boss" Tweed is one of those characters that you either read about in history books or hear about in Looney Tunes shorts. The picture of the tweed jacket was practically a giveaway.
  • :mrgreen: Squeaked through on the generosity of the benevolent Commissioner with "Amazonia" instead of Amazonas.
  • :?: I feel a little bad about my low record in art questions. I don't feel bad about missing a question with a 0% get rate in my rundle and a 6% get rate across the entire League.
  • :mrgreen: I would like to thank Cheech, Chong, and a bare-minimal knowledge of Arabic words for getting me this point.
This was a tad frustrating because a 5/6 is probably going to be pretty rare for me, and I still only managed a +1 MPD on a 5-vs-3 win. I posted a perfect defense against the League's get rates, but gave up 2, 1, and 2 points to this opponent. The two rundlemates ahead of me have double and triple my MPD, the latter in part from a 9(6)-0(1) followed by a forfeit win. Grr. Oh well.
I both bit on "elision" and got the bump for Amazonia.

Also, I think Art is the toughest of the categories, and as you saw, Thorsten often digs deep for those. I made a point of studying up on it before LL75 and I feel better about it going through past questions, but it's still (obviously from my question history) a prime landing spot for 3s.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Took a loss yesterday primarily because I overthought the geography question and went with Orinoco rather than Amazon. My opponent was able to come up with Nan Goldin. I can't recall ever hearing about her. That was a toughie for sure. I put down Diane Arbus, but turns out she died in the early 1970s.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

acthomas wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:57 am
Another elision here.

Also, I've come to see that any time Thorsten throws up a photographer, it's a pretty easy 3 for defense.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

econgator wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:58 am
acthomas wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:57 am
Another elision here.
+1 (except I said 'eliding')
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

acthomas wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:57 am [*] How many people bit on the word "gliding" and guessed "elision" instead? (I was surprised this didn't show up as MCWA.)
[/list]
(raises hand)

I also got credited for "Amazonia", but I still lost the match by 4 points.

I thought the Art question was a coin flip between Annie Leibowitz and Cindy Sherman and gave my opponent (who has a very high get rate for art) a 1. Which reflects the depths of my ignorance of the category.

A few years ago, I read a biography of Boss Tweed. One of his notable adversaries was cartoonist Thomas Nast, who comes up from time to time on Jeopardy.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

And yet again Thorsten demonstrates that the greater trivia world is woefully ignorant of female artists. Eventually, maybe we'll get the hint and pay a little more attention to them. :oops:
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Blue Lion wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:14 am A few years ago, I read a biography of Boss Tweed. One of his notable adversaries was cartoonist Thomas Nast, who comes up from time to time on Jeopardy.
Thomas Nast was the answer to question 1 of the Presidential Runners-up 1DS from 4 weeks ago. https://www.learnedleague.com/oneday.ph ... runners-up
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Woof wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:20 am And yet again Thorsten demonstrates that the greater trivia world is woefully ignorant of female artists. Eventually, maybe we'll get the hint and pay a little more attention to them. :oops:
Nan Goldin was a triple stumper in the UToC finals. (Video clue, including one of the pics in yesterday's montage.)

Two of those three players missed her again yesterday.

Fun game: Guess which of the three finally got her correct.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:37 pm
Woof wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:20 am And yet again Thorsten demonstrates that the greater trivia world is woefully ignorant of female artists. Eventually, maybe we'll get the hint and pay a little more attention to them. :oops:
Nan Goldin was a triple stumper in the UToC finals. (Video clue, including one of the pics in yesterday's montage.)

Two of those three players missed her again yesterday.

Fun game: Guess which of the three finally got her correct.
Without checking, I'll say
Spoiler
VeredJ
1/3 odds are better than I usually get :mrgreen:
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

My first 9(6)! But I feel like it really doesn't count because I also put Amazonia ;)

I got Nan Goldin from seeing her work in MoMA and other places. This one was tricky, though, because the work I've seen is mostly of other people, not the artist herself! Guess I've seen enough to make the connection

Another good female contemporary artist to know: Kara Walker
clprez

Post by clprez »

My first win of the season. My DE is finally above .500. I'm not very good at defense, which is why I didn't join a private rundle. Last week 3 of my opponents were in the top 4 at the time, so I tried not to get too anxious. I was in a similar situation standings wise a few seasons ago when I was relegated, and I didn't enjoy that season at all. I think the reason I'm not as disheartened now as I was then is because that season I lost a number of games where I got more correct than my opponent. So far that hasn't happened (knock wood).
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

Well, so much for my three-match winning streak. On MD7, I lost 3(2)-4(3) to the last place person in our rundle, who was winless until our match. He and I are the only ones in the rundle who have not recorded a 3-pointer this season. The loss dropped me from 5th to 8th. I am tied for fewest correct answers of any of the players in our rundle, so the fact I've been competitive at all this season is remarkable. It all depends on what the questions are on any given day...what the opponent's knowledge base is, as well as defense.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Everyone in A Magnolia got Paradise Papers - a real outlier on a question with a 56% get rate.

I expect an audit soon, and now I worry most of my opponents are Russian oligarchs.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

boson wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:25 am Everyone in A Magnolia got Paradise Papers - a real outlier on a question with a 56% get rate.

I expect an audit soon, and now I worry most of my opponents are Russian oligarchs.
Those who reside in MagA (heh -- never thought of that one before. Now I want out.) already live in Paradise, so it was easy.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

The five straight wins and not answering fewer than 3 questions correctly was nice while it lasted. I tied 1(2)-1(2) yesterday and dropped from first to third in my rundle. Thankfully my opponent didn't know Rubicon, so at least it wasn't a loss.