Learned League 75 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Despite losing my match yesterday I actually moved up a spot in my rundle to 6th! I missed the card game and the spider sculpture. My opponent got 'em all. Interestingly he assigned the card game question zero points. :shock:
OSXpert
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by OSXpert »

SBurrus wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:00 am I ended a 4-match losing streak with a Dolly Parton, winning 9(5)-2(2). Ironically, the only question I missed was the TV question, as TV is my best category. This was only the third time in my LL career that I was able to get five correct on the same day. Prior to MD11, I was the only person in the rundle who had not scored a three-pointer, but I finally got one Thursday.
Good game yesterday!

I don't feel like I'm doing anything differently defensively this season, but I've got a .867 and am in the top 5 in Pacific for the Sandra award.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

OSXpert wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:11 pm I don't feel like I'm doing anything differently defensively this season, but I've got a .867 and am in the top 5 in Pacific for the Sandra award.
I got ya by .004 right now. :)
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

econgator wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:18 pm
OSXpert wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:11 pm I don't feel like I'm doing anything differently defensively this season, but I've got a .867 and am in the top 5 in Pacific for the Sandra award.
I got ya by .004 right now. :)
No need to get so defensive about it! :lol:
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

bomtr wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:59 pm I'll hope you wash that guilt down with a good barleywine or maybe an imperial stout.
An imperial stout is like a motion to adjourn: it's always in order. So is a double IPA.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Augh, that could have been my first 6-correct day since I started playing along if I'd paid a little more attention.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

It took 13 days, but I have finally slipped into the relegation zone in Pacific D Division 2; not surprising, with the third lowest number of correct answers in the rundle. I lost my 6th match in the last 7 days on MD13, 3(2)-4(2). After a stellar season on defense in LL74, I seem to have lost my touch in LL75.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I tied 1(2)-1(1) yesterday. I picked Basque over Catalonia, and I had no idea on coaxial cable despite the fact that I map it as part of my job! Getting either of those would have got me the win.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

So my opponent gave me 3 for the TV question and 0 for the coaxial cable. A fatal error, as it cost her the match 9(5)-6(5). I correctly assigned her the 3 for coaxial, thinking damn this question is so convoluted.

Sitting pretty at the top of B Continental, thanks to a solid defense so far. I love the view up here- hope it lasts!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I incorrectly spelled 'Soap' as 'Dynasty'...would've been a much needed beer...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Drank the beer for the first time ever! Only took me 4 seasons to do it, but I legit thought I never would have done so. I needed every point too, as my opponent missed the 0 and got the 3, following my pattern of playing horrible defense.

I only KNEW 3 answers, but was 75% sure on Soap, and about 10-20% sure on the ones I didn't know, Nihilism, and USS Maine.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

My lucky season continues with a 9(6)-7(5) victory yesterday over an opponent with a lifetime .844 QPct! He missed coax.

The question that surprised me yesterday was "nihilism." Would have never guessed 79% would have gotten that one correct!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:29 am The question that surprised me yesterday was "nihilism." Would have never guessed 79% would have gotten that one correct!
That was one of the two I wasn't sure of when I was answering, but given the wording it was a WECIB for me.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Mark Barrett posted Shalane Flanagan's NYC Marathon win on the Current Events/Popular Culture thread. The more you know...
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

Thought the NYC Marathon question was the 2nd easiest of the day by far, so assigned it a 1. Lost 8(5), 7(5). On pace for 125 CAA this season, which would beat my worst previous by 15. A rundle is the worst.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I finally beat mrparadise (I think, since he was referred by goatman) yesterday, on my third try, and am now one game below .500 on the season. My previous high TCA was 86, but I'm projected to finish with 96! Get rates have gone way up this season across the league. I already have 64 points despite just three 3-pointers.
Hoping for a third lap
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

It's very freeing when you know you only have 2 right. Like, no need to fret about this. Probably not gonna win.

And I didn't.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:34 am It's very freeing when you know you only have 2 right. Like, no need to fret about this. Probably not gonna win.

And I didn't.
I did. Against a former ToCer, no less. 3(2)-2(2), both only getting Cheese and grog.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

My regression to the mean continues, but I somehow tied, 1(1)-1(1).

My opponent only knew grog and gave me a 0 for it, but it rings no bells at all to me.

I figured that the city had to be in upstate New York on the Lake Ontario question, but I never even thought of Rochester and guessed Albany.

My thought process on the proton question: "Wouldn't that have to be either a proton or a neutron? It says positive charge, so it has to be a proton. But that seems way too obvious! Maybe that's actually a neutrino. I'll say that instead." D'oh!

And I imagine that Heathrow was a forehead slapper not just for me but for a lot of people, given the low get rate.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

sarisson wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:28 pm I finally beat mrparadise (I think, since he was referred by goatman) yesterday, on my third try, and am now one game below .500 on the season. My previous high TCA was 86, but I'm projected to finish with 96! Get rates have gone way up this season across the league. I already have 64 points despite just three 3-pointers.
Yes, you beat me easily, 6(5) 2(2). I don't know how I missed Catalonia (yes I do, I totally focused on Latin America) but it wouldn't have done me much good and I had no chance on the other three I missed. I look forward to our next match.