Learned League 75 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread

Post by morbeedo »

GenX MD 8 I really thought I was right with Alf but I didn't recognize anything else in that clue: 4-Lom; ____ ____; Bossk; Dengar; IG-88; Zuckuss

Annoyed by (I just) died in your arms bc I know that the French refer to orgasm as 'la petite mort' and yeah, I know those were arm bones

Won anyway, but I'm already out of the running for any sort of Gen X glory

Glad I'm only playing 1 ML this time around
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

countyguy wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:28 am How in Sam Hill (get it?) was Kaepernick not an MCW?
I think most people recognized that Kap was the person next to the person in question and thus not the correct answer.
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Blue Lion »

countyguy wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:28 am How in Sam Hill (get it?) was Kaepernick not an MCW?
I answered the Sam Hill question correctly. Yes, I'm that old.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:23 am GenX MD 8 I really thought I was right with Alf but I didn't recognize anything else in that clue: 4-Lom; ____ ____; Bossk; Dengar; IG-88; Zuckuss
Didn't you notice there were two blanks? Not that it's going to help you much if you didn't recognize any of the other names. The reason I knew this is from the Star Wars action figures from the '70s.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:02 am
morbeedo wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:23 am GenX MD 8 I really thought I was right with Alf but I didn't recognize anything else in that clue: 4-Lom; ____ ____; Bossk; Dengar; IG-88; Zuckuss
Didn't you notice there were two blanks? Not that it's going to help you much if you didn't recognize any of the other names. The reason I knew this is from the Star Wars action figures from the '70s.
Yeah, and I figured his name was followed by some numbers. But I did start off by trying R2D2 and C3PO
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:05 am
Yeah, and I figured his name was followed by some numbers. But I did start off by trying R2D2 and C3PO
Or maybe they were looking for Alf's real name: Gordon Shumway (uh-oh, watch that come up now!) :)
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Just be careful - the original figures for 4-LOM and Zuckuss famously had their names switched.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Frustration level with the GenX ML reached a high on Day 7. I knew the character on Q2 (Corky) when the question asked for the show, I figured out that the song referenced was Sister Christian but couldn't pull the name of the band, and knew the show was called Small Wonder but couldn't get the character name. Although on that one, I didn't realize they were asking for both names...Not going to make it to the Championship round.

However, in the Sports ML, I'm comfortably in second at 6-1-1 with 31 TCA. With a win today I essentially clinch a berth in the Championship Round. Haven't looked at the questions yet but my opponent only has 7 TCA...
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

teapot37 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:04 pm
Just be careful - the original figures for 4-LOM and Zuckuss famously had their names switched.
I went with Admiral Ackbar, which turned out to be a...well, you know.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

I put this out on the LL board, but with the Russian goalie, I figured it was Not Tretiak, since Tretiak was the one pulled, leading to the US win. Also, led me to way defend this horribly as well.

Somehow, I got lucky to still win, with my opponent underestimating my love of Major League.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:20 am I put this out on the LL board, but with the Russian goalie, I figured it was Not Tretiak, since Tretiak was the one pulled, leading to the US win. Also, led me to way defend this horribly as well.

Somehow, I got lucky to still win, with my opponent underestimating my love of Major League.
Agree that Tretiak was the obvious choice and given the difficulty of a lot of these questions I was doubting myself. However, I was pretty sure that the picture was the goal the US scored right at the end of the first period. Eruzione was jumping all around and IIRC they celebrated on the side boards for the winning goal. Also, I was almost certain that Tretiak was #20 as well. I never would've gotten Myshkin.

I won also, 7(5)-4(3), going with Bobby Jones instead of Hogan for the bridge for my only miss.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Easiest day of JI Sports for me, for sure. The Hogan Bridge and Spike Lee were gimmes, and I pulled Tretiak (would never have got Myshkin). I had a major head-desk moment when I looked at the image and said "Ah, Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin(-Hardenne)!" and promptly put the Netherlands for the answer. As it was, that gaffe didn't cost me as my opponent forfeited.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I got my first loss in the Gen X Pop Culture ML yesterday. It was going to be my first non-win no matter what I did, since my opponent got the same number right and defended perfectly, but I missed the tie by giving up a single extra point. My group has been mostly pushovers (including a player in Kuwait who's been forfeiting every match since MD18 of this past regular season) and I usually get four right (except one day with five, and a day when I got two and was lucky enough to be up against, and give perfect defense to, someone who only got one). Now I'm in second place and the margin is two points in the MPD column. I play against the person ahead of me on Monday, and I suspect that final match will have no bearing on who from our group gets to play in the championship; we will probably occupy #1 and #2 in whatever order.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:07 am
morbeedo wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:05 am
Or maybe they were looking for Alf's real name: Gordon Shumway (uh-oh, watch that come up now!) :)
Ha! I Kill me!
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:04 pm I play against the person ahead of me on Monday, and I suspect that final match will have no bearing on who from our group gets to play in the championship; we will probably occupy #1 and #2 in whatever order.
Sure enough, we're entering the final match with nine wins and one loss each (with my MPD four lower than his), and third place has a 7-2-1 record. So a loser in our last match is guaranteed second place, and if we tie I will stay in second. (And then I will suffer a minor massacre in the championship unless the questions go entirely my way for the first time this ML.)
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:20 am I put this out on the LL board, but with the Russian goalie, I figured it was Not Tretiak, since Tretiak was the one pulled, leading to the US win. Also, led me to way defend this horribly as well.

Same here. Answering with Vladimir Myshkin kept me from getting my second 9(6) in this ML.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'm in a real dogfight in Gen X. Currently I'm in third, but the three of us are all 9-1-0 with MPDs of 40, 37, and 33.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

I'm currently in 2nd place in JI Sports 2, and I'm playing against the 1st place player, so I basically control my own destiny here.

Unfortunately, he's a lot better than the rest of us with his TCA. The 3-5th place players are also playing the people at the very bottom, so I think I have to win here.

Oh well, fun while it lasted.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Entered MD11 Gen X in 8th place. Never cared less about the outcome of a LL match as I did today ;)
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:59 am I'm currently in 2nd place in JI Sports 2, and I'm playing against the 1st place player, so I basically control my own destiny here.

Unfortunately, he's a lot better than the rest of us with his TCA. The 3-5th place players are also playing the people at the very bottom, so I think I have to win here.

Oh well, fun while it lasted.
Well I'm in the finals. I won by forfeit and the 1st player still had enough points to finish in 2nd place and make the final too.

I feel dirty.