Learned League 75 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

boson
Trivial

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread

Post by boson »

dhkendall wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:02 pm
boson wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:34 am So are we cheering on any boardiellamas to win their rundle or stave off relegation on this last match day?

I don’t know if anyone would be inclined to cheer for me but after having spent so many seasons in D I was elated to go to C this season because I always felt I belong in C. However I’m currently at 20th. 21st and down are relegated. So, yeah I’ll need a win (and for others to do poorly)
Of course we'll cheer for you: there are now over 10,000 LLamas and we few dozen here can try to fight the rest of them off. Metaphorically. Go dhk!
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Technically I could stay in B rundle but it's all but certain I'm being relegated to C. I'll give it 2,500:1 odds that I don't get the combination of forfeits or points needed to stay in this rundle.

Back to C rundle for my 4th season. I think maybe I can get promoted to B rundle again for my 5th season and then I'll stay there for a while. I'm in last place in TCA by almost double digits but a huge chunk of the rundle has been close on points and rank all season. If I had gotten "The English Patient" a few days ago it may have staved off relegation. My TCA has gone up in each of the 3 seasons I've played.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

Despite losing my last match, I will be moving up a level and joining other boardies, including my referrer -- hi, boson! -- in A Magnolia next season. First time ever over 100 CA, so we'll see if I can stay in A or not. :)
SBurrus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by SBurrus »

With a 3(2)-4(3) loss on MD25, I finished 8-15-2 in LL75, in 16th place in the rundle and am headed back to E rundle for LL76. I did establish a new personal record for most correct answers in a season but it was not enough, as well as a new career high for correct answers by opponents for a season (although that was really out of my control). And in a bit of bitter irony, I did get a 3-pointer on the last day of the LL75 season, only my second of the entire season; everyone else in the rundle had at least 4. I also gave up a three-pointer to my opponent on MD25, to finish with a 0.697 DE rating, the second highest of my LL career.

One more statistic of note: my 8-15-2 record in LL75 was exactly the same as in LL68, my rookie season.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Me against JenningsK: 9(6)-7(5)! My best get was his sole miss, on the 1908 London event. I was trying to think of what the calamity was called when a confluence of weather and pollution enveloped London in darkness, and failing (it was the Great Smog, and took place in 1952), when somehow I zeroed in on 1908 as an Olympic year.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:00 am Me against JenningsK: 9(6)-7(5)! My best get was his sole miss, on the 1908 London event. I was trying to think of what the calamity was called when a confluence of weather and pollution enveloped London in darkness, and failing (it was the Great Smog, and took place in 1952), when somehow I zeroed in on 1908 as an Olympic year.
Congrats! On that London clue, the word "concluded" eventually pointed me in the right direction; i.e. a scheduled event. This was probably my smartest moment of the last round. My big triumph was to avoid relegation from A two seasons in a row (but how can two not be in a row?) for the first time.

Referring back several rounds, I keep waiting for a question like "two of the more famous American singers of the last century were named Zimmerman. Name them." Last time I saw Ethel may have been on Charlie Rose's show when it was "Nightwatch". She and Rosemary Clooney did "Just the Two of Us" (sorry, Charlie).

As for Argus, the name rings a bell. Wait, it's all coming back. Well, most of it is. Aside from math, pop music, and current events.
I'm smart and I want respect.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I initially thought of the Olympics, but by modern scheduling, April is really early to start the Summer games (now they usually start in July or August). So I ended up going with "fog".
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

On the Olympics question, focusing on the volcano, I said "colorful sunsets" (which London actually did experience as a result of the Krakatoa eruption of 1883).

Despite that miss, I tied my personal record for TCA in a season, earned a promotion, and have clawed my way back to a B rundle -- the first time I'll be at that level since LL62.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

boson wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:34 am So are we cheering on any boardiellamas to win their rundle or stave off relegation on this last match day?

I don’t know if anyone would be inclined to cheer for me but after having spent so many seasons in D I was elated to go to C this season because I always felt I belong in C. However I’m currently at 20th. 21st and down are relegated. So, yeah I’ll need a win (and for others to do poorly)
Yay! I live to C another day!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Peachbox wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:19 am Despite losing my last match, I will be moving up a level and joining other boardies, including my referrer -- hi, boson! -- in A Magnolia next season. First time ever over 100 CA, so we'll see if I can stay in A or not. :)
Woohoo! Congrats!

For what its worth, I've done far better in A than I ever did in B. The season I got promoted to A I came in 16th in the rundle and was only promoted due to fracturing of the league. You'll do great in A!

MD25 - I got credit for Ardennes for battle of the bulge. Lucky - I didn't know they were the same.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Basically, everything that could go wrong did. Back to C I go. Worse, I gave up 3 UfP, dropping me from 2nd to 4th. With perfect defense (or even a 9(6) or 0(0)), I would have taken 1st.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Yesterday was a defensive nightmare for most of myvRundle: lots of 8(5) and 4(3) scores. Lots of people undervalued the Blanchett/Hepburn question and others undervalued the math question. The 2 UffPA I picked up dropped my DE to .813 but that was still good enough for the Sandra. Gratz to Reddpen, bomtr, ElendilPickle for their finishes and hats off to SterlacciJ, our Rundle champion.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Woof wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:25 pm
morbeedo wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:08 am Such a weird season for me in B Continental. Sat pretty in 1st place - inexplicably - from MD 10-18, then tumbled to 7th with 4 consecutive L and just landed in the bottom of the promotion zone at 5th place with yesterday's 9(6) W to follow Monday's 1(1) L

Promotion to A - and certain humiliation - is a coin toss at this point!

On to MD25 - good luck, kids!
Good luck to you! On behalf of A Continental we can't wait to devour welcome you.
Promotion denied! I foolishly changed my answer about the 1908 London event from Olympics to World's Fair, lost the match 4(4)-6(4) and finished in 6th! Sooo close, but I don't really belong in the A block. Looking at the A Continental standings, my 92 TCA score would have put me dead last in that ranking.

On the plus side, I pulled a few 9(6)s (first time for me), tied for most 3PT and finished 2nd in MCWA. What a wild season!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Peachbox wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:19 am Despite losing my last match, I will be moving up a level and joining other boardies, including my referrer -- hi, boson! -- in A Magnolia next season. First time ever over 100 CA, so we'll see if I can stay in A or not. :)
If you're going to be in A, MagA is probably the place to be. I managed to eke out another stay there. At least I got my defensive mojo back -- I was up 215 points over my LL74 showing, and returned to my average. I've got a suspicion the rundle is going to be broken up, however. We shall see.
seaborgium wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:00 am Me against JenningsK: 9(6)-7(5)! My best get was his sole miss, on the 1908 London event. I was trying to think of what the calamity was called when a confluence of weather and pollution enveloped London in darkness, and failing (it was the Great Smog, and took place in 1952), when somehow I zeroed in on 1908 as an Olympic year.
Congrats on taking down Ken! I was thinking about it being The Year Without a Summer, but that didn't make much sense. I never got close to the Olympics. Went for a BWA instead.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

Welp, after a 5-0-1 start I ended up at 13-9-3 which was good enough for third place!… … …among players transferring to D Summit. :lol:

The top tier of R Summit Div 2 has been amazing. BurmilaE and MillerD2, the top two players, finished with a lead of six wins and +43 MPD over third place. :shock: B had better watch out in LL76. Third place, MartinM4, did hang on for a well-earned third. While she did not have more wins than fourth place, it wasn't really that close; she finished with a +36 MPD advantage over NilenP. Much like the NFC East division in the NFL over the last few decades, I think the player records in this rundle were depressed because most of us were so evenly matched that we ended up beating each other up a little bit in the standings. It has been great fun to watch this play out, even while being pretty well locked smack in the middle of the standings for most of the season.

Season: 13-9-3 (29), 10th/22 in the rundle, TMP 86 (MPD +14), batting average .480 (72/150, +.004 on the league average), DE .650
Pretty happy with that, TBH.

Many thanks to acthomas for the referral (and congrats on the win!) and I look forward to another year among LLamas. 8-)

PS, Anupama Srirangan absolutely dominated R Memorial Div 2. Achievement Unlocked: Trivia Competitor Redemption. Who's laughing now, Internet?! :mrgreen:
Last edited by zerobandwidth on Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

I feel exactly like you, only I'm in D (where I feel like I belong) and am about to be relegated back to E. The math was all but settled for me, needed a win, one guy to lose and one guy to forfeit, so I'm going back to E, and hopefully dominating.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I'm staying in B and I never got a 0(0,1). Mission accomplished!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:02 am I was thinking about it being The Year Without a Summer, but that didn't make much sense. I never got close to the Olympics. Went for a BWA instead.
My first thought was the year without summer, but that certainly wouldn't have only affected London. I also thought of the Crystal Palace Exhibition, but was pretty sure that was earlier. Then I remembered one of the early Olympics were held in London and 1908 was an Olympic year. April seemed like an awfully early start, but I figured they may have done things differently back then.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:56 am
alietr wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:02 am I was thinking about it being The Year Without a Summer, but that didn't make much sense. I never got close to the Olympics. Went for a BWA instead.
My first thought was the year without summer, but that certainly wouldn't have only affected London. I also thought of the Crystal Palace Exhibition, but was pretty sure that was earlier. Then I remembered one of the early Olympics were held in London and 1908 was an Olympic year. April seemed like an awfully early start, but I figured they may have done things differently back then.
Apparently, they were also the longest games in history, lasting 6 months, 4 days.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

I started out slow, picked it up mid season and actually got into the promotion zone, and then crashed and burned losing the last five matches (had never lost more than 3 straight). Ended up 9-10-6, 15th in B Horizon and looking forward to 76.