Learned League 75 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

ouachiouat
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:32 am

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread

Post by ouachiouat » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:02 pm

My first 1DS for the season was Seinfeld Minutae. Kind of bummed it didn't take my response of "waitress/cashier at Monk's" for Q11, since I moneyed it and would've gotten 95 more points had it been deemed correct. I guess she wasn't technically a waitress? Oh well. Looking forward to 2 or 3 other 1DS, plus 2 of the MLs. Not doing the Wall Street, I don't feel like going 0-the entire ML on questions! Ha!

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6030
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread

Post by alietr » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:14 pm

ouachiouat wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:02 pm
My first 1DS for the season was Seinfeld Minutae. Kind of bummed it didn't take my response of "waitress/cashier at Monk's" for Q11, since I moneyed it and would've gotten 95 more points had it been deemed correct. I guess she wasn't technically a waitress? Oh well. Looking forward to 2 or 3 other 1DS, plus 2 of the MLs. Not doing the Wall Street, I don't feel like going 0-the entire ML on questions! Ha!
52nd percentile. I won't be able to show my face in temple again.

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4210
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread

Post by This Is Kirk! » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:21 pm

I was quite proud of myself for thinking of Ruthie Cohen. I also considered Peterman, Frank Costanza, and Susan, but just couldn't believe any of them could possibly have been in over 100 episodes.

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4331
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread

Post by jeff6286 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:55 pm

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:21 pm
I was quite proud of myself for thinking of Ruthie Cohen. I also considered Peterman, Frank Costanza, and Susan, but just couldn't believe any of them could possibly have been in over 100 episodes.
I was quite annoyed that description was acceptable instead of requiring the character name. If you call your quiz minutiae then don’t go easy on the players!

Ended up deciding against moneying it figuring lots of people could guess the cashier and cost me the chance to win.

Serenity now!!

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4210
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread

Post by This Is Kirk! » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:18 pm

jeff6286 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:55 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:21 pm
I was quite proud of myself for thinking of Ruthie Cohen. I also considered Peterman, Frank Costanza, and Susan, but just couldn't believe any of them could possibly have been in over 100 episodes.
I was quite annoyed that description was acceptable instead of requiring the character name. If you call your quiz minutiae then don’t go easy on the players!

Ended up deciding against moneying it figuring lots of people could guess the cashier and cost me the chance to win.

Serenity now!!
Still a fine showing by you, Jeff. I award you the "Feats of Strength" medal for your efforts! :)

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 7678
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread

Post by econgator » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:04 pm

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:21 pm
I was quite proud of myself for thinking of Ruthie Cohen. I also considered Peterman, Frank Costanza, and Susan, but just couldn't believe any of them could possibly have been in over 100 episodes.
For the record: 22, 29, and 29.

User avatar
mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:10 am
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread

Post by mennoknight » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:32 am

Totally blanked on the Yev Kassem question, answered the Drake. Got to HATE the Drake.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 5705
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread

Post by seaborgium » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:41 pm

I finished in the top 50 in the Rare Video Games 1DS. (A few days ago when I saw it in the upcoming topics, I made sure to do a quick Google and remind myself of the title of "Air Raid," which I thought was inevitable as an answer and likely to be little gotten.) I had five answers I was sure of and one fairly informed guess of 1990, moneyed four of the ones I knew and 1990 (in favor of what I thought was the easiest, Final Fantasy VII), and pondered over the Sega Genesis question for a little longer. Once I came up with Blockbuster Video, I was sure enough of it to money it, then un-moneyed Primal Rage and submitted, then immediately thought, "Ooh, I should have un-moneyed Earthworm Jim instead." Sure enough, only 38% missed that (even less than Final Fantasy), whereas 67% missed Primal Rage. Those 29 points would have put me at #24 instead of #44, but I'm pleased anyway.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 6092
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread

Post by Volante » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:43 pm

HA! Just 'Cannonball' was acceptable for Daytona 1D Q10. I was wondering how I managed to get past the 40th percentile on that one.

sarisson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 744
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 8:39 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread

Post by sarisson » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:52 pm

Going along with the thread on LL about best/worst returns on One-Days, yesterday I finished in the 97th percentile despite only getting 6 right on "Reviews." :o I would've had 7 and finished four places higher if not for an RTFQ fail (typed "Gettysburg Address" instead of the speaker).
In for a second lap

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4210
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread

Post by This Is Kirk! » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:51 am

I thought I'd do a little better in "Machines" since I got ten right. That only got me 84th percentile. I should have gone out on a limb a little more on my moneying. Someone managed 10th place with 10 correct and I was way down at 136th.

ouachiouat
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:32 am

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread

Post by ouachiouat » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:09 am

ML groups are out. I'm in 104 in pop culture with McNittS, and 65 in JI:Sport. Don't recognize any boardies, but I know few handles.

sarisson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 744
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 8:39 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread

Post by sarisson » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:38 pm

I'm in Group 84 of Gen X Pop Culture with cmp146, and I'm occupying Group 40 of Wall Street. I don't recognize any other J! alum or boardies.
In for a second lap

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6030
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread

Post by alietr » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:15 am

I can't believe this guy needed to ask the audience, let alone that 90% of them didn't get the right answer of 'C'.


Llamathrust.jpg
Llamathrust.jpg (54.39 KiB) Viewed 2277 times

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 9049
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread

Post by Bamaman » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:56 am

Gen X Pop Culture: Group 112
Wall Street: Group 50
Just Images Sports: Group 136

I am in Wall Street with MeyerMM, so there's one loss right there. Didn't recognize any other boardies, but I don't know that many people's real names.

User avatar
boson
Trivial
Posts: 1466
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:01 pm

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread

Post by boson » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:25 am

134-gen x
28-wall st
90-sports

In the sports mini league I have DevineW - 8th overall in LL75, gaudy qpct, won two A rundles, yet to participate in a proctored event. Ready for the bloodbath.

I've had a great run of 1ds:top 5% three times, top 20 twice. But then this weekend comes and I literally couldn't answer a single question in all three quizzes. I hope the mini leagues aren't like that.

User avatar
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:31 pm

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread

Post by cmp146 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:46 pm

sarisson wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:38 pm
I'm in Group 84 of Gen X Pop Culture with cmp146, and I'm occupying Group 40 of Wall Street. I don't recognize any other J! alum or boardies.
Well, we have nowhere to go but up in Group 84 for GenX Pop Culture. I am only doing the one ML this time around. Good luck to everyone!

classicroadster
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:04 pm
Location: Seacoast NH

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread

Post by classicroadster » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:03 am

I'm in Group 81 for GenX and 24 for Sports.

Its my first foray into MLs. How do they pick the groups? Random? I'll be in E rundle for LL76, but theres is pretty wide variety of rundles (from A to R) in each of my groups.

User avatar
morbeedo
In Jeopardy! Limbo
Posts: 1686
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread

Post by morbeedo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:36 am

Group 24 for Gen X Pop Culture (and 1st place I might add :lol: )

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4210
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread

Post by This Is Kirk! » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:42 am

alietr wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:15 am
I can't believe this guy needed to ask the audience, let alone that 90% of them didn't get the right answer of 'C'.
Classic. :lol:

I'm in both the Gen X and Sports Images MLs.

Post Reply