Monday, November 13, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, November 13, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7631, 2017-11-13

2017 Tournament of Champions semifinal game 1.

CONTESTANTS
Lilly Chin, a robotics Ph.D. student at MIT from Decatur, Georgia
Austin Rogers, a bartender from New York, New York
Andrew Pau, an associate professor from Amherst, Ohio

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome, everyone. I'm gonna begin today's program by thanking Consumer Cellular for their assistance in the production of this year's Tournament of Champions. As you just heard, this is the first of our three semifinal games. Only the winner gets to come back on Thursday and Friday to play for a quarter-million dollars. The other two players go home with $10,000 each. Good luck to the three of you. Let's start finding out which one gets to play again. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round. Here are the categories for you...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
GET AN EDUCATION (4/5)
STARTS WITH A DOUBLE VOWEL (5/5)
OHIO (5/5)
QUEEN-SIZED (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MUSIC FOR CHAMPS (2/4)
LIGHT UP A CIGAR (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Austin: 13 R, 0 W
Andrew: 7 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Lilly: 6 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Andrew found the Daily Double on the 14th clue. Andrew had $2,600, Austin had $2,800, and Lilly was at $1,800. Andrew made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,600.

QUEEN-SIZED $800: The 18th century war of this "Succession" helped keep Maria Theresa as ruler but cost her Silesia

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Andrew: $5,200
Austin: $3,800
Lilly: $1,800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Lilly Chin is a College Championship winner. She is from Decatur, Georgia. A lot of our champions acquire a certain degree of fame because of what they've achieved on our program. Your fame enabled you to start your own online what?

Lilly: Video game streaming thing, yeah.

Alex: Does it have anything to do with robotics? 'Cause that seems to be your specialty and your main interest right now.

Lilly: Yeah. The game I'm playing, it was actually, like, my summer job, where I'm doing manufacturing in China. That's a video game.

Alex: It's a video game? Manufacturing in China?

Lilly: Yeah, you have to program stuff, and wire things up correctly. I'm not sure why I play it, but I do.

[Laughter]

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: Austin Rogers was a champion also. A bartender who wants to circumnavigate the world with his winnings. Where you gonna start?

Austin: Well, first I'll start with buying a 1991 W124 300TE with 4matic. It's a Mercedes-Benz station wagon. And I'll buy that in New York 'cause I'm doing the whole thing with New York plates. And I'll go to drive down through Mexico and stuff like that. Take it around the Darien Gap, go down the Andes, ship it to South Africa, go up the middle of Africa, go across to Gibraltar, from Gibraltar all the way down to Vladivostok, go across, through India, ship from India to Perth, Perth to Sydney, Sydney to Anchorage, Anchorage to New York.

[Applause, laughter]

Alex: Something just occurred to me. What would you do--how would you communicate if you were not able to use your right hand? [Gesturing as Austin does]

Austin: Morse code.

Alex: Yes.

Alex: Andrew Pau. He is from Amherst, Ohio. Now on your previous appearances on our program, I made a comment that had to do with your work and you getting a promotion. And did that have any effect?

Andrew: On my last game, I remember you said, Alex, "Well, Andrew Pau, we've introduced him as an assistant professor, but he's been doing so well, I think he should be a full professor." And a year later I got tenure. I mean, I haven't made full professor yet, but now I'm an associate professor with tenure, so that, that was very good.

[Applause]

Alex: Happy to do it.

Andrew: Please do it again.

Alex: Yeah. Okay.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
GET AN EDUCATION $200: It's a public school offering special instruction that's designed to "attract" a diverse student body

MUSIC FOR CHAMPS $1000: "Victory" is the final track on this Dave Mustaine band's 1994 platinum-selling album "Youthanasia"

MUSIC FOR CHAMPS $800: In a 2013 hit that recalls a No. 1 from the '70s, Imagine Dragons was "On Top Of" it
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Austin: $6,800
Andrew: $6,000
Lilly: $4,600
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, November 13, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THOSE DARN FRANCISCANS (3/5) (Alex: Not Etruscans.)
'90s TV (4/5)
EARTH SCIENCE (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ADD A LETTER (4/5)
WORLD PLACE NAMES (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THEY WROTE IT (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Andrew: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Austin: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Lilly: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 4 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Andrew snagged the next Daily Double on the 6th clue. Andrew had $12,000, Austin had $6,800, and Lilly was at $4,600. Andrew wagered $8,000.

WORLD PLACE NAMES $2000: This African capital is said to take its name from the mammal seen here
(Alex: Andrew?)
(Andrew: What is Pretoria?)
(Alex: No. You're looking at an impala. And the capital is [*]. It means "hill of the impala.")

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Lilly who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 19th clue. Andrew had $6,400, Austin had $8,000, and Lilly was at $6,200. Lilly wagered $3,000.

EARTH SCIENCE $1200: Millennia ago Eratosthenes calculated this at 252,000 stadia, thought to equal about 25,000 miles
(Lilly: What is the radius of the Earth?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WORLD PLACE NAMES $1600: Perhaps from an explorer named Fernandes, this Canadian Atlantic region means "farm worker" in Spanish

THOSE DARN FRANCISCANS $1200: Hey, Bobby--from the habits they once wore, a Franciscan order of Britain & Ireland is known as this color friars
(Andrew: What is brown?)
(Lilly: What is blue?)

'90s TV $2000: Originally from Northern Ireland, this actress played Monica on "Touched by an Angel"

THOSE DARN FRANCISCANS $2000: Like Dominicans, Franciscans are this type of order known for poverty

ADD A LETTER $1600: Insert a letter into a 4-letter synonym for "prevalent" to get this firearm

EARTH SCIENCE $2000: The inner of these 2 radiation belts is centered less than 6,000 miles above the Earth; the outer may extend to 36,000 miles

EARTH SCIENCE $400: The comet-shaped magnetosphere that surrounds the Earth is shaped by the stream of plasma known as this

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Austin: $9,200
Andrew: $7,200
Lilly: $6,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
VICE PRESIDENTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Austin: Wager $5,201 to cover Andrew.
Andrew: You ought to wager to cover Lilly, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings with a wager of all $7,200. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $6,400 (to shut out Lilly) or less than $3,200 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Lilly). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Austin.
Lilly: Consider risking between $401 and $2,800. This will top a $0 wager by Andrew while still beating Austin on the Triple Stumper (should Austin wager to cover Andrew's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A biography of this 19th century VP traces his family to a German town made famous in a folk tale about children

FINAL SCORES
Lilly: $6,800 - $6,000 = $800 (Who is Martin Van Buren) (3rd place: $10,000)
Andrew: $7,200 + $3,199 = $10,399 (Who is Hannibal Hamlin?) (2nd place: $10,000)
Austin: $9,200 + $5,300 = $14,500 (Who was Hamlin?) (Finalist)
(Alex: [To Andrew] Abe Lincoln's first vice president. The correct response. "The Pied Piper of Hamelin.")

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Andrew: $13,400, 16 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Lilly: $9,800, 13 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Austin: $9,200, 18 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $32,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Austin: 19/58 = .328
Andrew: 17/60 = .283
Lilly: 13/59 = .220
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
OHIO $400: This NHL team's name celebrates Ohio's contribution to the winning side in the Civil War
(Austin: Who are the Blues?)
(Alex: N--)
(Austin: [*]!)
(Alex: You corrected yourself in time.)
(Austin: Yeah. I did.)

GET AN EDUCATION $1000: In the painting "The School of Athens", these two great teachers are the center of attention

QUEEN-SIZED $400: The second Spanish queen of the name, she had a troubled reign, ending in her overthrow in 1868

MUSIC FOR CHAMPS $600: Did you sing this late diva's 1988 hit "One Moment In Time" as you qualified for the tournament?
(Andrew: Who is [*]?)
(Alex: Did you sing it? You're right.)
(Andrew: Light Up a Cigar--No.)

LIGHT UP A CIGAR $200: Pre-embargo 1950s Romeo y Julietas from this country sell for as much as $400 apiece
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now.)

THOSE DARN FRANCISCANS $1600: St. Anthony of Padua eventually got back his book of Psalms, making him the patron saint of these
(Austin: What are books?)

WORLD PLACE NAMES $800: These two islands get their names from their sizes relative to each other
(Lilly: What are Mallorca and Majorca?)

ADD A LETTER $1200: A metric measure of liquid pours in a letter to do this, to linger aimlessly
(Alex: From liter.)

ADD A LETTER $2000: Add a letter to a device that warms a room & you get this, noted for its small pinkish-purple flowers
(Alex: From heater.)

ADD A LETTER $800: Russian cash adds a letter to become this, demolition remains
(Alex: From ruble. Less than a minute.)

ADD A LETTER $400: A type of transport flies in a letter to become this huge heavenly body
(Alex: From plane.)

THOSE DARN FRANCISCANS $400: In their efforts to convert local tribes, the Franciscans built 21 of these in California
(Lilly: What is missionary?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the War of the Austrian Succession
a magnet school
Megadeth
top of the world
Kampala
the circumference of the Earth
Labrador
grey
Roma Downey
the mendicant order
rifle (from rife)
the Van Allen belts
solar wind
Hannibal Hamlin
Blue Jackets
Plato and Aristotle
Isabella
Whitney Houston
Cuba
lost things
Majorca and Minorca
loiter
heather
rubble
planet
missions
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
VICE PRESIDENTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A biography of this 19th century VP traces his family to a German town made famous in a folk tale about children

Andrew Pau: 7200+3199=10399
Austin Rogers: 9200+5300=14500 (Finalist)
Lilly Chin: 6800-6000=800

Correct response:
Spoiler
Hannibal Hamlin (Lilly – Martin Van Buren)

Daily Doubles
Andrew: 2600+2600
Andrew: 12000-8000
Lilly: 6200-3000

Coryats
Andrew: 13400
Austin: 9200
Lilly: 9800

Combined: 32,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Andrew: 6000
Austin: 6800
Lilly: 4600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Oh those Daily Doubles. Austin had one way of making them work for him during regular play and this time he found a different way for them to work to his advantage. That was some nice milk can, water torture, straight jacket in handcuffs work for Austin to move on to the finals.

If you are in the TOC then you want to know about that VP:

#3327, aired 1999-02-09 AMERICAN HISTORY: At the outbreak of hostilities of the Civil War, he was president of the Senate
#2811, aired 1996-11-18 VICE PRESIDENTS: He was the first Republican vice president
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Van Buren--
19th century - check
Vice president - check
German - bzzt
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Austin, you've gotta shop that roadtrip around as a travel show, 'cause I just heard A LOT of armchair geography buffs call shotgun.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

They don't know what band Dave Mustaine fronts? They don't know who put out "Youthanasia"? Sigh, it's getting harder to be a Jeopardy!-watching metalhead ...

I always thought "Labrador" had to do with the French for "the golden arm" - "la bras d'or"

Instaget FJ, got the Pied Piper reference right away.
squarekara wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:41 pm Austin, you've gotta shop that roadtrip around as a travel show, 'cause I just heard A LOT of armchair geography buffs call shotgun.
Oh, I was that loud was I?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Austin's interview was brilliant.

When was the last "Those Darn Etruscans" reference? I thought that went away in the early 90s.

====

Precalled the first Music for Champs. If there is a more boring rock song than "We Are the Champions", then I have yet to hear it.

"Magnet school" and "solar wind" seemed incredibly tough for the top box. Can we poll the former?

TIL Portugal has queens.

Surprisingly, "aardvark" was my only miss in Double Vowel. Couldn't pull away from "anteater".

I honestly had no idea what a buckeye was, and Blue Jackets rang no bells. So I got the bottom 3 but not the top 2.

Lach Trash: Megadeth, "top of the world"

Folk tale -> Pied Piper of Hamelin -> sounds like Hamlin. Got it.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Lily should have been in the lead going into FJ had she taken her time and found the correct words for her DD. Not that it would have mattered.

Wasn't thrilled about Andrew's DJ DD wager in the bottom box. He started in row 3 and knew it, then didn't know row 4 before the DD. That should have been a warning bell, if he gets row 4 I like the wager without question. And let's face it, a $2k clue in the ToC isn't going to be easy. There was lots of time and dollars left on the board if he missed, but I can't help but wonder if this wasn't the time for a $5 wager. But perhaps he was trying to put the game away right then and there. I guess in the end that making an error on the aggressive side is almost always better than making an error on the passive side.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

17 right, 2 wrong (costing 1800)
Coryat: 10,200

LT: solar wind, Van Allen belts

Sit and stare at Queens, Music, and the obligatory literature category.

Completely clueless on FJ! today. Didn't even recognize the name once it was revealed.

Good wagering by Austin and Andrew today. Lily could have won with a triple stumper and the right wagers by everyone. Alas, it was not to be a TS, so the excessive wager on her part didn't matter.

I like Austin's quirkiness, so I'm glad to see him advance to the finals. Andrew would have been a good finalist as well. Given different boards, any of them could have won. At this level, it only takes one category (or sometimes question) to make or break a player.

Is this Austin's first win where he didn't get any DDs?
--Peter
hscer

Post by hscer »

I knew Van Buren was Dutch but that was the best I could do. Did not know of any Hamlin-Germany link.
I can imagine getting Kampala from impala, but I do not know my impalas from my gnus.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Peter the accountant wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:54 pm Is this Austin's first win where he didn't get any DDs?
Yes.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Both my horses are out of the running.. darn! Great game by all three in any event.

I'm OK with Andrew's wager.. his knowledge base, the chance to apply heavy pressure while keeping yourself in the game on a miss.. I can get on board with that. Just didn't work out this time, and faltered slightly after with the loss of momentum. So it goes. 'Grats to Austin for gutting out the W when it mattered most. He's now guaranteed to move himself to no lower than seventh on the all-time money list regardless of how the finals go.

Legendary storytime as well. I'd love to see/hear how that works for him. ;)

Hamlin was one of the names that popped into my head for Final, but wasn't totally sure and then for no real reason scrawled down Elbridge Gerry. :(
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

44R. Instaget FJ. LT: van allen belts, solar wind, rife/rifle.

Rooting for Lily on this one, sweet college kid but luck be not a lady tonite. Offering 'radius' for 'circumference' was clearly a misspeak, you could tell she knew it "DOH!" and 'missionary' for 'missions' was another nail in her coffin, she was correcting herself but AT had already ruled against. Lamentations... <Cry>
Andrew offered a strong challenge but faded with some misses and too much guessing... :?
Unlike many fans I really don't appreciate Austin's 'clever' repartee and his odd gestures. IMHO it's an intimidation tactic designed to distract fellow contestants. It's apparent that he won tonite because the challengers let him get away with it. Stop guessing! :oops:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
BennyBXB
Valued Contributor

Post by BennyBXB »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:28 pmWhen was the last "Those Darn Etruscans" reference? I thought that went away in the early 90s.
Courtesy of the Archive, 2008-6-30 had THOSE DARN ETRUSCANS in J and THOSE DARN EQUESTRIANS in DJ.
"It's always better to know a thing than not to know it." -Samuel Parr (as cited by Ken Jennings)
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

You could've spotted me Robert Browning poem, children's story and German village and I still wouldn't have come up with Hannibal Hamlin. Had completely forgotten he was Lincoln's first VP.

Glad to see Austin move on. He's my favorite contestant this season. Was shocked that, on her DD, Lily seemed to instaget circumference then blurted out "radius." But she was the only one who missed FJ, so it ended up not costing her the game.
hscer

Post by hscer »

goatman wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:27 pm and 'missionary' for 'missions' was another nail in her coffin, she was correcting herself but AT had already ruled against.

This reminds me...Austin was given a lot of time to correct "Blues" to "Blue Jackets" in the first round. Perhaps too much?
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
LeFlaneur
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by LeFlaneur »

Exciting game. LT: Magnet school, On top of the world, Labrador, Grey Friars, Van Allen Belts. I only got the final correct from having watched J over the years. Once again, what a great game.
Le Flaneur
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Kenny wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:30 pm You could've spotted me Robert Browning poem, children's story and German village and I still wouldn't have come up with Hannibal Hamlin. Had completely forgotten he was Lincoln's first VP.
You can always remember Abe's first VP because it's included in his name. AbraHAM LINcoln.

I started with Old Kinderhook Van Buren and almost didn't keep thinking. I figured Washington Irving probably had a folk tale about Kinderhook, NY somewhere along the way. But then I gave the clue another read-through, this time focusing on folk tales about children that I could name. Pied Piper led to Hamelin to Hamlin pretty quickly, final answer, Regis.

In retrospect, referring to Van Buren as a Vice President when he also held the next spot up would be really weird in an FJ clue.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

Well...looks like I was right on one thing, that this was gonna come down to execution. And unfortunately, Andrew's big mistake on the DD gave Austin the win. Coming into this, Andrew was a perfect 12/12 on DDs until the DJ round where he found the first of two DDs and it proved costly. The major fault in this was that Lilly and Andrew's negs on the DDs proved costly while Austin snuck under the radar and won. I just didn't get Andrew's wager when Lilly would have won even if Andrew got it right and Austin got it wrong. Boy...had Andrew got that DD right, it would have brought the whole house down. Austin now can rest on his laurels and study hard while awaiting on the other two semifinal matches to be over and wait in the finals.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.