Monday, November 13, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

yclept
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, November 13, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by yclept »

Austin should have been ruled incorrect with th “Blues” response for the simple reason that the Blues are a different NHL team altogether. It is not a situation where a contestant misspeaks and is able to correct themselves before Alex says “No”. It is a situation where the answer he gave was wrong AND was the name of another team in the league. It just seemed to be an incorrect ruling to me.

That said, Austin played the game smart, and didn’t take any of his usual wild guesses that he often took during his run. He pretty much played a “catch me if you can” game in the second half of Double Jeopardy.

As for the theatrics, it is a part of his personality. That stuff never bothers me on Jeopardy or in sports, as long as it is organic and makes sense. Last night, a Dolphins RB ran for a 60 yard TD in a game where his team was getting destroyed and started acting like he just won the game. THAT is the stuff that annoys me when it comes to celebrations!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Lefty wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:58 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:47 pm
You can always remember Abe's first VP because it's included in his name. AbraHAM LINcoln.

Wow, that's awesome. I never noticed that.
I don't recall who told me that or I'd credit them. Whoever it was was probably just passing it along as well, though. So now it's your turn to pay it forward. It's a marvelously sticky mnemonic. I've never forgotten Lincoln's first veep since.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

I agree that the Blue(jacket)s switcheroo probably shouldn't have been allowed. But even if Andrew or Lilly picked up the trash, that's only an $800 swing on the 6th clue of the game. (Thanks to the archivist who put the game up so fast! You people are a treasure.) So not really a game-changer.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:41 pm Sorry to see Lily go. How does she not know the Van Allen belts? The solar wind one was a good Clam. I liked her in the College tournament but her playing style and abruptness annoyed me. Now it just seems normal in this tournament and I enjoyed her energy.
I loved her playing style from the beginning. That was one of the reasons I rooted for her in the College tournament. Perfectly personable in the interviews, but when it came time to put her game face on, boy did she put it on. For those of us who hate it when the contestants don't clear the board, Lilly's play was a thing of beauty. It really added to the excitement for me.

But I can see how it might strike some as a bit much. As you say, though, slot her in to a TOC and the style fits right in.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Going through the list of Vice Presidents, I thought I'd only recognize a few names of VPs who didn't ascend to the presidency prior to the mid-20th Century, specifically Burr and Hamlin. But there are a few other noteworthy/recognizable ones -- George Clinton, Elbridge Gerry, John Calhoun, and John Breckinridge and then in the early 20th Century, John Nance Garner and Henry Wallace.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I started with MVB but quickly made the switch to the right guy.

I agree Austin got a break on the hockey team.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:49 pm I started with MVB but quickly made the switch to the right guy.
I'm starting to wonder if this should be a poll question!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:20 am
Woppy T wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:18 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:02 am
Didn't watch, but I'm guessing Alex's hesitancy on "Blues" is because he only knows three or four NHL teams, and he thought maybe Blues was the short form for Blue Jackets.
If you only know three or four NHL teams it seems unlikely the Blue Jackets would be one of them, but maybe.

I agree with those that have said Austin got a possibly unfair second chance on this one.
Alex is Canadian.
Oh, I totally missed the "Alex" in there. I thought lefty was talking about Austin. Yes, I'm fairly confident Alex knows more than three or four NHL teams! :D
I believe I heard somewhere he’s a big Kings fan.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
LeFlaneur
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by LeFlaneur »

tiwonge wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:50 pm
zerobandwidth wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:34 pm I wonder if the judges would have accepted "ascetic" for "mendicant" in that Franciscan clue.
Mendicant is a technical term that describes an order that takes vows of poverty (not just the individuals, but the whole order). Thus, these orders (or the members of these orders) have to beg for their sustenance. Ascetic is not the same thing, and just applies to individuals, and not orders. (As far as I know, there's no vow of asceticism or anything, either.) Mendicant is usually used to describe an order, and ascetic an individual.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/10183c.htm
I said "descalsed" which denotes that they didn't wear shoes. Thus representing poverty. Whatever.
Le Flaneur
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:16 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:47 pm
You can always remember Abe's first VP because it's included in his name. AbraHAM LINcoln.

Wow, that's awesome. I never noticed that.
I don't recall who told me that or I'd credit them. Whoever it was was probably just passing it along as well, though. So now it's your turn to pay it forward. It's a marvelously sticky mnemonic. I've never forgotten Lincoln's first veep since.
O FGS! THAT IS TOO KOOL! TYVM 4 DA TELL OPUS!! :D
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:33 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:41 pm Sorry to see Lily go. How does she not know the Van Allen belts? The solar wind one was a good Clam. I liked her in the College tournament but her playing style and abruptness annoyed me. Now it just seems normal in this tournament and I enjoyed her energy.
I loved her playing style from the beginning. That was one of the reasons I rooted for her in the College tournament. Perfectly personable in the interviews, but when it came time to put her game face on, boy did she put it on. For those of us who hate it when the contestants don't clear the board, Lilly's play was a thing of beauty. It really added to the excitement for me.

But I can see how it might strike some as a bit much. As you say, though, slot her in to a TOC and the style fits right in.
I'm quite certain that a contestant hitting high in science clues overall knows "Van Allen belt"; sometimes you just stay clam. Gearslip. Boltloose.
Happens to me twice daily- nay, thrice at least, come Goatstaff, Tell the Truth and Shame the Devil! :lol:
Spoiler
(Henry IV Pt I Act 3 Sc 1, Hotspur to Glendower)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

alietr wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:36 pm Going through the list of Vice Presidents, I thought I'd only recognize a few names of VPs who didn't ascend to the presidency prior to the mid-20th Century, specifically Burr and Hamlin. But there are a few other noteworthy/recognizable ones -- George Clinton, Elbridge Gerry, John Calhoun, and John Breckinridge and then in the early 20th Century, John Nance Garner and Henry Wallace.
A synapse just fired with the name John Nance Garner, whoever the hell he is. He's the veep with the 'bucket of warm spit' quote attributed to him.

I'll remember the quote. And forget the name. No room for frivolous storage anymore. I'd have to toss out the complete lyrics to Gilligan's Island to make room for new learning.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:48 pm
alietr wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:36 pm Going through the list of Vice Presidents, I thought I'd only recognize a few names of VPs who didn't ascend to the presidency prior to the mid-20th Century, specifically Burr and Hamlin. But there are a few other noteworthy/recognizable ones -- George Clinton, Elbridge Gerry, John Calhoun, and John Breckinridge and then in the early 20th Century, John Nance Garner and Henry Wallace.
A synapse just fired with the name John Nance Garner, whoever the hell he is. He's the veep with the 'bucket of warm spit' quote attributed to him.

I'll remember the quote. And forget the name. No room for frivolous storage anymore. I'd have to toss out the complete lyrics to Gilligan's Island to make room for new learning.
Would it help you to remember him if I told you he lived to be 99?
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:20 am
Woppy T wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:18 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:02 am
Didn't watch, but I'm guessing Alex's hesitancy on "Blues" is because he only knows three or four NHL teams, and he thought maybe Blues was the short form for Blue Jackets.
Alex is Canadian.
Oh, I totally missed the "Alex" in there. I thought lefty was talking about Austin. Yes, I'm fairly confident Alex knows more than three or four NHL teams! :D
I may have overstated the case somewhat, but clearly Alex is not a big sports fan. I will say for him that after once being mocked for not even attempting a Howard Cosell impression while reading a clue that quoted Cosell (given that bad impressions are a sideline of his), he did make an effort the next time such a chance arose.
I'm smart and I want respect.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Lefty wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:59 pm I may have overstated the case somewhat, but clearly Alex is not a big sports fan.
What makes you say that? He's definitely a hockey fan: https://www.nhl.com/redwings/news/jeopa ... n/c-506896 He's also a big fan of the Lakers: https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/features/alex-nba
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $32,800
42 R/2 W
DD: 1/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: magnet school, Megadeth, Roma Downey, rif(l)e, circumference of the Earth (DD), Van Allen belts, solar wind

Maybe it was that reader's theater we did in high school speech class, but the FJ! clue took me right to Hamelin.

It really is too bad that Andrew got stuck with that Kampala DD. He's a very strong player.
yclept wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:35 pm Austin should have been ruled incorrect with th “Blues” response for the simple reason that the Blues are a different NHL team altogether. It is not a situation where a contestant misspeaks and is able to correct themselves before Alex says “No”. It is a situation where the answer he gave was wrong AND was the name of another team in the league. It just seemed to be an incorrect ruling to me.
This. If you accidentally blurt out "Islands" when you mean "Islanders," that's one thing. When you give the full name of another team and stop talking, your response is complete.
Sprinkles are for winners.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

32 right.

Education (3), Double Vowel (2), Ohio (5), Queen (3), Music (3) Cigar (2)
Franciscans (), 90's TV (4), Earth (1), Letter (1), Names (4), Wrote (3)

Lach Trash: the world, Labrador, rifle

One of the things I've learned from watching Jeopardy is the town of the Pied Piper, and that made the connection to Hamlin a quick get.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:19 am
This. If you accidentally blurt out "Islands" when you mean "Islanders," that's one thing. When you give the full name of another team and stop talking, your response is complete.
I was going to say if the Blues didn't exist, I might have cut him some slack on that one. But in a TOC SF, I think I'd tighten up on the slack cutting.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:58 pm
tiwonge wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:51 pm In that Franciscan category, how are you supposed to get Grey?

The only thing I can think of is by knowing that Greyfriars is a thing. But other than that, I don't see anything in the clue that helps.
Hey Bobby-- From the habits they once wore, a Franciscan order of Britain & Ireland is known as this color friars
Is the Bobby supposed to mean anything? What about the Britain & Ireland?

(I missed the "once wore" part, thinking of the current habits of Franciscans. I knew that the OFM wear brown habits and the Conventual Franciscans wear black habits, so I'd have guessed one of those two. I couldn't think of what the third Franciscan order (the Capuchins) wore; I was thinking maybe white. Maybe this is one of those cases where knowing too much (and missing the "once wore" clue) hurts.)
Greyfriars Bobby.

Though I missed the TOM and blurted out Blackfriars.
There have been four clues on Greyfriars Bobby, most recently, just four months ago. I wish they'd left out that Bobby hint though, because it was negbait for this:

Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

I don't know where else to put this, but last night I had a dream that Andrew Pau's friend was brainwashed by a shadow government into believing Andrew was a hallucination. It was extremely sad and I hope this never happens to Andrew in real life.