Monday, November 13, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, November 13, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by twelvefootboy »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:24 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:48 pm
alietr wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:36 pm Going through the list of Vice Presidents, I thought I'd only recognize a few names of VPs who didn't ascend to the presidency prior to the mid-20th Century, specifically Burr and Hamlin. But there are a few other noteworthy/recognizable ones -- George Clinton, Elbridge Gerry, John Calhoun, and John Breckinridge and then in the early 20th Century, John Nance Garner and Henry Wallace.
A synapse just fired with the name John Nance Garner, whoever the hell he is. He's the veep with the 'bucket of warm spit' quote attributed to him.

I'll remember the quote. And forget the name. No room for frivolous storage anymore. I'd have to toss out the complete lyrics to Gilligan's Island to make room for new learning.
Would it help you to remember him if I told you he lived to be 99?
I think I noticed that when I wiki'd up the quote. Also the "Cactus Jack" handle and that he was speaker of the House before he joined the ticket in an obvious attempt to balance the ticket of a Yankee dandy.

But I'm not going to forget the courage of the fearless crew as much as I wish I could... :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
cthulhu
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, November 13, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by cthulhu »

Got FJ but partly luck - knew the town had to be Hamelin, and decided to shorten to Hamlin for my answer. I didn't consciously know Hannibal Hamlin, but maybe it was rattling around in there somewhere and came to the top. Knew it wasn't MVB though. VPs are on my long-deferred study list...

...as are African capitals. I knew that Kampala was named for its hills (I got that from a truly marvelous Donald E. Westlake book, Kahawa, set in Uganda and Kenya during Amin's brutal regime) but I didn't connect it up with the impala.

LT: magnet school, Van Allen belt, solar wind, Megadeth (although I hate metal; I'm a blues and classic rock aficionado).

And Austin's mannerisms don't bother me in the slightest.