Tuesday, November 14, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

OntarioQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Re: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by OntarioQuizzer »

Ironhorse wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:36 pm
My fear the other day that J! spoiled the finals on their website by posting a picture of Austin, Buzzy and a third contestant seems increasingly realistic.
You were told that it was a rehearsal photo.
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - The Jeopardy! Fan

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Congrats to Buzzy. He was really sharp on the buzzer and just very solid overall. Maybe his physical and mental training paid off. :) That's twice I've underestimated him in this tournament. And he might have to be favored in the finals, although Alan (if he advances after tomorrow's game) seems most likely of the 3 players in that semi to give Buzzy fits. And Austin certainly has the ability to win it all in the finals field that we're going to end up with.

I was really rooting for Jason, and I won't dwell on his late-game strategic mistakes since Buzzy's sole solve on the FJ made them irrelevant. He still played a hell of a game and showed off his tremendous knowledge base. I feel bad for Lisa but it's the old story of caught between 2 buzzsaws.

Near-instaget FJ for me. I misread the clue as saying the original 1952 play was French (although maybe the writers were trying to subtly imply that), which led me very quickly to Beckett's classic.

LT: "The Man from Snowy River"; Jay Rockefeller, "The Peaceable Kingdom" (which Stephen King has mentioned in 2 of his novels including the one that just recently came out); and Corinth.

I had "viticulure" for "viniculture," and I have no doubt either would have been deemed acceptable.

Loved the shoutout to my hometown of West Orange, NJ in the "colorful cities" category!
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

KenJenningsFan74
Valued Contributor

Post by KenJenningsFan74 »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:55 pm
This game should come with a warning for Brian Weikle: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=293
Ha! Strangely, I thought of exactly that as I watched the show today.

zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

FJ! was strangely an insta-get for me, partly because it's famous(ish)ly an all-male cast of characters, and I've seen additional mixed and/or all-women productions of Waiting for Godot since then.

Man I wish that Meet Your Automakers category had come up in my game, though after hearing Austin's interview yesterday, he's probably researched cars too.

Tough to watch Lisa's adrenaline crash between the J! and DJ! rounds. I was looking forward to her riding the momentum from the ¼F into this game. The contestants need an "Emergency Hugs!" button.

Sorry to see Jason and Lisa out but happy for Buzzy. The ½F games are a one-game Highlander affair: "There can be only one!"
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

44R. Instaguess FJ! Watched the show long enough to recognize obscure recurring clues, Godot ranks with Zola & Major Dreyfus in overdone cats. ;)

LT: Dennis Weaver >> McCloud (old fan); Whitefish, MT (Been there, got Tee); Jay Rockefeller; Jesus' prayer @3PM (Catholic thing); The Peaceable Kingdom (Sorry guys- my 4-year old knows this one!); Man from Snowy River; get on MDD: Ruth (yes I liked how Buzzy said it's Ruth or Ester- and final answered Esther, o noes! lol!); no get on Corinth (WTHLT Corinth of all places! I might've guessed Delphi, but went with "orthodox,"
clearly not understanding this clue! :?

Congrats Buzzy you trained for this and deserve the win from that ultra-vague FJ! Good play from Jason!
Last edited by goatman on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!

morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by morbeedo »

hbomb1947 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:46 pm
Near-instaget FJ for me. I misread the clue as saying the original 1952 play was French (although maybe the writers were trying to subtly imply that), which led me very quickly to Beckett's classic.
Beckett was an Irish playwright who wrote in French. I believe the play was first published in French as "En Attendant Godot" - adding that fact to small cast (4 or less?) also got me to Godot in a few seconds

I felt Lisa's pain from the get-go with that unfortunate accidental buzz on the $1000 car clue! She never really got a chance to ring in, except when the guys had no guess. And then she usually negged! Fantastic player. Just wasn't her day :/

2 DDs in the second row!? The players were definitely DD hunting by focusing on the last 3 rows, but things got wonky at the end with Jason avoiding that BIBLE category

I also lost the Ruth / Esther toss-up and also misunderstood the HIDDEN FIGURES category until Alex revealed the correct response to the first clue

Occurring every 2 weeks - does semimonthly work? I guess not - it's 11 letters, but it means twice a month / or every other month, I never know

Also had viticulture - technically it's the cultivation of vines, and the other is grapes - so we might have been negged on that one

For me, this has to be the toughest set of boards to date in this TOC!

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

goatman wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:14 pm
no get on Corinth (WTHLT Corinth of all places! I might've guessed Delphi, but went with "orthodox,"
WIDOWS OF THE BIBLE $1600: Paul’s first epistle to this Greek city’s church says widows may remarry

If there is a "first" then there is a second was the hint. It's not going to be Timothy, John or Peter as they are not cities. Toss your coin and go for Corinth (what I did) or try Thessa-whatever the city is called.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:29 pm
goatman wrote:
no get on Corinth (WTHLT Corinth of all places! I might've guessed Delphi, but went with "orthodox,"
WIDOWS OF THE BIBLE $1600: Paul’s first epistle to this Greek city’s church says widows may remarry

If there is a "first" then there is a second was the hint. It's not going to be Timothy, John or Peter as they are not cities. Toss your coin and go for Corinth (what I did) or try Thessa-whatever the city is called.
Basically how I got it. I didn't wanna pull a Trump and say "Two Corinthians".

(Reminds me of a Larry the Cable Guy joke where he said something was "in the book of II Parentheses.")
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:32 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
goatman wrote:

Basically how I got it. I didn't wanna pull a Trump and say "Two Corinthians".

(Reminds me of a Larry the Cable Guy joke where he said something was "in the book of II Parentheses.")
Gotcha! Kind of inferential guessing- TOC intense WAGging, LOL! Of course Corinthians, & Thessalonians, which if you delve deeper was also likely written in Corinth! NB: Consider Galatians, but that is not a town, rather a Roman province of Anatolia, eh?! :lol:

Neato- on Corinthians, L@@K:
Spoiler
This epistle contains some well-known phrases, including: "all things to all men" (9:22), "through a glass, darkly" (13:12), and "When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child"
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!

LeFlaneur
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by LeFlaneur »

I got tons of LT: McCloud, Snowy River, Plus 4's, Jay Rockefeller, 3 PM, Tense, Ruth, Corinth. Also an instaget on FJ. I missed plenty of other stuff though. Another intensely exciting game.
Le Flaneur

Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Thessalonica. (Modern Thessaloniki.) I was on exactly the same toss up. My gut said Corinth, but it lacked conviction. So I claimed a "no answer".

Kind of embarrassing, really. Just finished reading I Cor in Bible study.
--Peter

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

FJ was an instaget for me and was really surprised it went 1/3 on the show. 12 Angry Men never occurred to me. Even if it had, I wouldn't have gone with it because I have heard of mixed gender casts and I'm not really sure if a cast of 12 would be considered small.

While the original was written in a different era, I don't see someone putting on an all female version of it as a jury of all women doesn't seem any more realistic today than one of all men.

The late DD hunting was certainly strange. Even if the Bible isn't your strong suit, at least find it and bet $5. I also think putting a DD in the second row in a TOC SF that is literally a coin flip is weird.

In Lisa's spot I really don't know what I'd bet as I'd assume Jason wouldn't bet that big.

Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist

Post by Ironhorse »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:45 pm
Ironhorse wrote:
My fear the other day that J! spoiled the finals on their website by posting a picture of Austin, Buzzy and a third contestant seems increasingly realistic.
Not definitively; that was presented as speculation.
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Rough night for Lisa. She was clearly feeling it. Wagering was never her strength, so there was no way in that condition that she was going to be able to think strategically. I'm glad that wager didn't cost her the win.

Strategy missteps aside, that was one monster slugfest between Buzzy and Jason. We got our money's worth tonight. After what we just saw, I'm liking Buzzy for the win. Austin hasn't been playing at this level. Alan, Pranjal, or Tim will need to really step up just to have a shot.

On COLORFUL AMERICAN CITIES I precalled Baton Rouge. I think that would have been a TOC-worthy twist. I wonder if there are enough like that to field a category of five.

OntarioQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by OntarioQuizzer »

Ironhorse wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:11 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Ironhorse wrote:
No. You were definitively told that it was a rehearsal photo. My source on this is Jason Sterlacci, who was literally in the background as the photo was being taken. During rehearsal.
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - The Jeopardy! Fan

Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist

Post by Ironhorse »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:15 pm

On COLORFUL AMERICAN CITIES I precalled Baton Rouge. I think that would have been a TOC-worthy twist. I wonder if there are enough like that to field a category of five.
There was very recently a clue with a TOM relating to the literal translation of Baton Rouge so I'm not that surprised it wasn't used.
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist

Post by Ironhorse »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:21 pm
Ironhorse wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:11 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Ironhorse wrote:
No. You were definitively told that it was a rehearsal photo. My source on this is Jason Sterlacci, who was literally in the background as the photo was being taken. During rehearsal.
That's definitive, thanks.

davey

Post by davey »

Bamaman wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:57 pm
FJ was an instaget for me and was really surprised it went 1/3 on the show. 12 Angry Men never occurred to me. Even if it had, I wouldn't have gone with it because I have heard of mixed gender casts and I'm not really sure if a cast of 12 would be considered small.

While the original was written in a different era, I don't see someone putting on an all female version of it as a jury of all women doesn't seem any more realistic today than one of all men.
Twelve Angry Women is a completely authorized version of Reginald Rose's play. I believe an off-off-Broadway production just closed this past weekend in NY, and there are at least 2 others going on elsewhere in the country this month.
https://www.dramaticpublishing.com/twelve-angry-women
Twelve is not a small cast by any measure - "small" cast may have been added to the clue to warn people away from Twelve Angry Men. Also, the Beckett estate is notorious to this day for shutting down nontraditional productions. And btw, Reginald Rose was still alive in 1991.
Last edited by davey on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:

Toss your coin and go for Corinth (what I did) or try Thessa-whatever the city is called.
I forgot all about Corinth and went straight to Thessaloniki.

I thought about The Odd Couple at first, but 52 is way too early for that. WFG came next.

Kenny

Post by Kenny »

MarkBarrett wrote:
goatman wrote:

Paul's multiple epistles were Corinthians, Thessalonians, and Timothy. Obviously Timothy is not a city and Thessalonians is too arcane. That leaves Corinth.

Instaget on FJ. 1950s French play with all-male cast. Got to be "Waiting For Godot," which J! writers seem to love almost as much as Shakespeare.

Precalled Ruth for biblical widows as soon as I saw the category. "Wither thou goest, I shall go..."