Tuesday, November 14, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:22 pm I got this FJ, after a brief moment of thought. Had to get Twelve Angry Men out of mind as not having a "small" cast.

It occurred to me later that The Odd Couple might be another choice, although that one has an authorized-by-the-playwright version for women. (Fun fact: In that one, they don't play poker, they play Trivial Pursuit.)

I seem to remember a story this year that some theatre was trying to do a sex or race or LGBT swapped version of some play (actually, it seems I don't remember at all!) and the estate of the author pulled support, since it would change the fundamental meaning of the show. That's actually fairly common.
The Odd Couple doesn't have an all-male cast...remember the Pigeon Sisters? (Tony Shalhoub played one of the equivalent roles in the female Odd Couple that played on Broadway.)
You may be thinking about the Albee estate and Who's Afraid...
https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2017/ ... inia-woolf
Last edited by davey on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

I too settled on Godot pretty quickly because it was the only play that I knew with 100% certainty was an all-male cast. I feel bad for Lisa - a very frustrating scenario to be in
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Stuck with Twelve Angry Men until I figured it out about 30 seconds after the music ended. So, just a shade before Buzzy's reveal, I had that proverbial light-bulb moment.

I'm not a big fan of #2 going all-in when #1 is betting to cover and that leaves an opening for a crushed #3. I don't like either Jason's or Lisa's wager here, though Lisa had no reason to assume her wager mattered. Jason had to know what Buzzy was going to bet. And that he'd feel fairly confident on a category related to the entertainment industry, so he wouldn't hedge under any circumstances.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

My wife and I both came up with "Godot" quickly. "Twelve Angry Men" never crossed my mind.
silverpie
Contributor

Post by silverpie »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:15 pm On COLORFUL AMERICAN CITIES I precalled Baton Rouge. I think that would have been a TOC-worthy twist. I wonder if there are enough like that to field a category of five.
Heck, you could do it with French alone. Baton Rouge you mentioned, add Grand Blanc (MI), Verdigris (OK), Montrose (CO), Ronceverte (WV), Lenoir City (TN)... That would be ridiculously difficult, though. You'd probably be better off mixing languages, such as Amarillo (TX/Spanish), New Braunfels (TX/German)... or huge numbers of possibilities if you open it up to native languages...
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Wow, a heavyweight slugfest as expected. Yes, some strategic blunders but still a lot of great gets. I went with Corinth, completely forgetting Thessalonians. FJ: '50s play, small, male cast? Vladimir, Estragon, done. The French connection didn't hurt, either.
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

Gotta feel for Lisa. She seemed absolutely crushed to lose this game. I thought I could make out Alex saying to her "That's OK... that's OK..." during the credits.
sims
Valued Contributor

Post by sims »

goatman wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:14 pm The Peaceable Kingdom (Sorry guys- my 4-year old knows this one!)
Is that because of Little Einsteins? Because I think my 4 year old would also get that one.

I was thinking this was the hardest match (or worst categories for me or whatever) of the ToC so far, but my coryat was 26,400. 36/3
Lach Trash: Snowy River, Whitefish, "brought back to life" (I said resurrected but I'm pretty sure that would count), tense, Peaceable Kingdom, Corinth.

The only DD I knew was Ruth. It's pretty integral to her story that she's a widow and pretty integral to Esther's that she is married, but even narrowing it down to those two is something a lot of people couldn't do.

FJ I was pretty sure, but didn't really know why I knew it. I guess I just knew it's a play from that era with an all-male (both-male? are there three roles?) cast.

I was sad to see Lisa go.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Easy categories tonight for me. I was rooting for Buzzy but it was sad to see Lisa lose so badly. Easy FJ but I would've bet to end up with at least $4001 from the first two podiums.
davey

Post by davey »

sims wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:54 pm
goatman wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:14 pm The Peaceable Kingdom (Sorry guys- my 4-year old knows this one!)
Is that because of Little Einsteins? Because I think my 4 year old would also get that one.

I was thinking this was the hardest match (or worst categories for me or whatever) of the ToC so far, but my coryat was 26,400. 36/3
Lach Trash: Snowy River, Whitefish, "brought back to life" (I said resurrected but I'm pretty sure that would count), tense, Peaceable Kingdom, Corinth.

The only DD I knew was Ruth. It's pretty integral to her story that she's a widow and pretty integral to Esther's that she is married, but even narrowing it down to those two is something a lot of people couldn't do.

FJ I was pretty sure, but didn't really know why I knew it. I guess I just knew it's a play from that era with an all-male (both-male? are there three roles?) cast.
There are 5 roles in Waiting For Godot - Vladimir, Estragon, Pozzo, Lucky, and the boy.
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

I've got to say it warms my heart to see a slew of Jeopardy alumni band up to defend Lisa from naysayers on Twitter right now. It looks like they really are a close knit circle, one that I hope to have the privilege of joining one day.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:22 pm I seem to remember a story this year that some theatre was trying to do a sex or race or LGBT swapped version of some play (actually, it seems I don't remember at all!) and the estate of the author pulled support, since it would change the fundamental meaning of the show. That's actually fairly common.
Way back in 2013, I tried to find out if anyone had ever done an all-black production of 1776. I couldn't find any evidence of one, but there was an all-female (with the possible exceptions of Abigail Adams and Martha Jefferson) production in Kansas City sometime around 2010, and one in Chicago in 2002, apparently.

I thought of 12 Angry Men early and spent the rest of the time trying to think of a better answer. If Godot had occurred to me, I think I would have switched. It didn't.

Also: Corinthia. :roll:
darkgreenblue
Contributor

Post by darkgreenblue »

I am utterly stunned that two players in a TOC semi made the same DD-hunting error (going to the 1st row when one 2nd-row clue still remained), each after everybody spent the respective round foraging all over for it.
Anachronism wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:12 pm I'm not a big fan of #2 going all-in when #1 is betting to cover and that leaves an opening for a crushed #3. I don't like either Jason's or Lisa's wager here, though Lisa had no reason to assume her wager mattered. Jason had to know what Buzzy was going to bet. And that he'd feel fairly confident on a category related to the entertainment industry, so he wouldn't hedge under any circumstances.
I disagree with the boldfaced assertion. Yes it's highly likely that her wager would not matter, HOWEVER, her only hope of winning is an irrationally large wager from Jason (plus a standard bet-to-cover wager from Buzzy, and a clue that stumps them both); therefore betting all or most of her $2000 is pointless, so she should bet nothing. As it turns out, if the clue were more difficult, that last-ditch plan would have won her the game.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:15 pm On COLORFUL AMERICAN CITIES I precalled Baton Rouge. I think that would have been a TOC-worthy twist. I wonder if there are enough like that to field a category of five.
I don't know about cities, but you could also include Vermont and Colorado, maybe? Amarillo, TX. I'm sure there's at least one more somewhere.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

got the dover beach triple stumper...only thing i remember from the english class that I failed in my senior year of high school that forced me to go to summer school
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:55 pm This game should come with a warning for Brian Weikle: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=293

Thanks to watching the UTOC in its entirety twice I got that trash, plus the Australian river, and I’m old enough to have seen the Dennis Weaver show first run.

There was a DD remaining on the board and Jason had control. What did he pick? A $400 clue. Was Jason trying to purposely avoid the DD because he did not like WIDOWS IN THE BIBLE? Buzzy did find it and miss it although he left himself only a lead of $400 with two $400 clues remaining.

Jason and Buzzy split the last two clues to keep the difference at $400. All of it turned out not to matter because only Buzzy solved the FJ! clue.

If the FJ! clue is a double hit for the gentlemen then someone is left regretting their end play.

If the FJ! clue is a triple miss then two of the wagers might be slightly up for discussion.

The J! writers are gutsier than I am as I recall the last time the play was in the FJ! round: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4008 and I would not risk the same kind of error appearing with a spot in the finals on the line.

I’ll take over 33% in the weekly poll for the play as J! loves the work and somehow this particular clue’s wording must have done something to throw off J & L while for J! Boarders it will do better than one in three.
came up with the answer to the dennis weaver clue...have never seen an episode of the show...was born after it's run, but that show title was part of a pub trivia question a few years back and i retained that information
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I came up with Death of a Salesman, thinking it was just Willy and his sons plus a couple other dudes. I didn't suddenly remember that there were women in the play (including one just called "Woman"), but I did remember Arthur Miller was still alive in 1991, so his estate wouldn't have been doing things on his behalf quite yet. By then I had wasted all my brain cycles and I couldn't come up with anything before the music ended, so I paused it and managed to dredge up Waiting for Godot within 15 seconds, probably. My first miss of this tournament, but I still think I'm ToC-caliber!
mungar
Valued Contributor

Post by mungar »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:22 pm I got this FJ, after a brief moment of thought. Had to get Twelve Angry Men out of mind as not having a "small" cast.

It occurred to me later that The Odd Couple might be another choice, although that one has an authorized-by-the-playwright version for women. (Fun fact: In that one, they don't play poker, they play Trivial Pursuit.)

I seem to remember a story this year that some theatre was trying to do a sex or race or LGBT swapped version of some play (actually, it seems I don't remember at all!) and the estate of the author pulled support, since it would change the fundamental meaning of the show. That's actually fairly common.
You may need thinking of the proposed all-female Lord of the Flies.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

sims wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:54 pm

I was sad to see Lisa go.
i agree...i did the j6 in the morning and was like these categories fricking suck
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

kprather895 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:30 am I've got to say it warms my heart to see a slew of Jeopardy alumni band up to defend Lisa from naysayers on Twitter right now. It looks like they really are a close knit circle, one that I hope to have the privilege of joining one day.
I don’t do Twitter. Are people bashing her for losing so badly? She got caught between two buzzsaws, no shame in that. Of all the people that have been on the show in the last two years, only eight can say they made it as far as she did.