Wednesday, November 15, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

hscer
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by hscer »

First FJ get of the week. I had to get Benedict Arnold out of my head, which is only extremely tangentially related to France (and why the heck would anyone there have named a street for him). But I was able to figure it out with plenty of time.
Last edited by hscer on Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

The beginning of this game was rough, but it was fun to see all three contestants push through it with humor.

Even with three long contestant interviews and a video-clue category, they still didn't leave many clues behind. Such is the blinding pace of ToC-level play.

I couldn't get into this one from the couch, partly because my kids were being super obnoxious, but also I just didn't know anything on this board. Seeing a >$20k and >$12k score after that mess is doubly impressive.

Buzzy, Alan, Austin... the producers haven't had a lineup sort out this well since the Ken, Brad, Roger finals from Battle of the Decades. Hold onto your butts; it's going to be wild.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
PanthersFan1
Contributor

Post by PanthersFan1 »

Golf wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:53 pm
Golf wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:31 pm Just one of those quick calculations that nobody takes the time to work out.
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:57 pm I await watching you in a ToC semifinal.
Cool. I'll be the one playing optimally leading to a lock game. 8-) :lol:
nah you wont even win a game if you ever make it on the show.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

PanthersFan1 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:17 pm
Golf wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:31 pm Just one of those quick calculations that nobody takes the time to work out.
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:57 pm I await watching you in a ToC semifinal.
I'll take that bet since I recall Golf posting about a six-figure win on another game show.
PanthersFan1
Contributor

Post by PanthersFan1 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:28 pm
PanthersFan1 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:17 pm
I'll take that bet since I recall Golf posting about a six-figure win on another game show.
he comes across as a prick on this board.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Golf wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:53 pm Cool. I'll be the one playing optimally leading to a lock game. 8-) :lol:
PanthersFan1 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:17 pm nah you wont even win a game if you ever make it on the show.
You see those little emoticons at the end of my post? It was meant as humor. Laugh.

But we should really get back to discussing the game itself.
zdude69closedrofl
Valued Contributor

Post by zdude69closedrofl »

zerobandwidth wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:13 pm
Buzzy, Alan, Austin... the producers haven't had a lineup sort out this well since the Ken, Brad, Roger finals from Battle of the Decades. Hold onto your butts; it's going to be wild.
Ben, Arthur, and Julia would like a word with you on that one. ;) This match-up is certainly wild though!
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Golf wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:31 pm On the final DD the scores were

Alan 21200
Pranjal 12600
Tim 2000

With 3200 left afterwards Pranjal can max out at 15800. Therefore Alan should either wager 5 or 5399 dependent on category comfort. His 4000 wager wasn't too far off, but that 1399 can easily turn a possible loss into a lock game. Just one of those quick calculations that nobody takes the time to work out.

Nice to see good wagering in FJ. Looking forward to the finals.
See I don't think 100% mathematical is the way to go here. If you did take the time to add it up and determine that $5399 is the maximum "safe"
bet, then you should probably add a bit to that number. The odds that Pranjal is going to run the last 7 clues are very slim. Much more likely that each of them will get some, and in the event that say Pranjal gets 5 of the 7, Alan should wager more than $5399 to try to give himself the best chance at the lock, even if it does leave a tiny chance that Pranjal could run him down and take the lead. (I said "safe" because even the $5399 isn't foolproof because Alan could neg on one of the remaining clues.

As it turned out, his $4K would have been just about right, leaving him with the lock had he responded correctly and everything played out the same. But this was only because Pranjal actually went backwards in the final clues, finishing $400 below where he was at the DD. I would say taking everything into account, something around $6000 or $6400 is probably the best wager. Certainly nothing wrong with the $5399 but I would nudge it a little higher to leave a greater chance of ending with the lock.

A previous DD wager similar to this one was in the legendary Roger/Joon/Mark SF in the 2011 TOC. Roger found the last DD and had to pick a number that was likely to leave him with a lock at the end but still leave him in contention on a miss. There were still a bunch of clues on the board. (7 clues and $8,000 remaining) The number he picked ended up being just about perfect as he finished narrowly with the lock.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Golf wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:59 pm
Golf wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:53 pm Cool. I'll be the one playing optimally leading to a lock game. 8-) :lol:
PanthersFan1 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:17 pm nah you wont even win a game if you ever make it on the show.
You see those little emoticons at the end of my post? It was meant as humor. Laugh.

But we should really get back to discussing the game itself.
Hm. I read it as derisive laughter a la Snidely Whiplash, but okay.
sims
Valued Contributor

Post by sims »

LT: Abruptly, Auxilliary, Dropped.

I feel like every board just gets harder and harder. I'm definitely picking Alan to win. Austin just isn't as fast on the buzzer as he is, and from what Austin said about his study strategy, he knows a lot of the basic one-to-one J! answers but might struggle on stuff that is more "out there."
leszekp
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by leszekp »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:57 pm
I await watching you in a ToC semifinal.
Yup. Got beat up by Keith Williams about my $10K DD wager in my first BOD match. You try doing the math when Alex is staring at you, waiting for an answer.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

I'm glad to see Alan do well today and I'm excited to see him in the finals. Personally, I was rooting for him in today's game and I consider him to be one of the favorites in the tournament, but of course, Buzzy and Austin won't be easy to defeat. Regardless of what happens, I'm excited for the finals to begin tomorrow, and considering how deep this year's field was, I'd say those three more than earned their spots. Plus, the ratings guru on the show must be thrilled that Austin and Buzzy will appear in the finals, I'm sure.

Nice to see Tim go out with good humor. It reminded me of the "What is Aleve?" response from the last ToC.

FJ was an instaget for me. I couldn't tell you 5 things about Petain, but I knew enough for "France" and "traitor" to lead me there.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I was thinking way too early in French history and finally got to WWII too late. I said Petain about two seconds after the music stopped.

Did anyone else say "signature" for the "watermark" clue? Signature was my first instinct, but I don't remember enough about the exact wording to know if it would have been accepted or not.

Great game by Alan. He's my favorite going into the Finals.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Another great heavyweight slugfest with another semi finalist caught in the crossfire. Alan looked just as dominant as in his QF game, but Pranjal went toe-to-toe with him. This TOC has certainly produced the fireworks. Instaget FJ for me.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:15 pm Did anyone else say "signature" for the "watermark" clue? Signature was my first instinct, but I don't remember enough about the exact wording to know if it would have been accepted or not.
Category was "Compound Words", so no.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:18 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:15 pm Did anyone else say "signature" for the "watermark" clue? Signature was my first instinct, but I don't remember enough about the exact wording to know if it would have been accepted or not.
No love for "sig" and "nature?" :D
hscer

Post by hscer »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:22 pm
Volante wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:18 pm
No love for "sig" and "nature?" :D
fwiw I couldn't get "letterhead" out of my head on that one
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

zdude69closedrofl wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:16 pm
zerobandwidth wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:13 pm
Ben, Arthur, and Julia would like a word with you on that one. ;) This match-up is certainly wild though!
haha yes indeed, that was also spectacular
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Quisling was the name I had to get out of my head, even fully knowing he was Norwegian.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Easy boards for me tonight & instaget FJ WECIB? I was rooting for the guy from Ohio but that 3rd podium is a tough one. I'm liking Alan for the win. My local station will be showing NFL BS instead tomorrow so I hope I can find the show online.