Wednesday, November 15, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by heppm01 »

clt013 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:55 pm
mikebdoss wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:41 pm
zerobandwidth wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:32 am Is it at this point that I confess my FJ! SWAG was Robespierre? :oops:
(prepares for the pointing and laughing) ;)
That was also my guess. I'm glad I'm not alone. Petain, for whatever reason, isn't someone I know anything about.
I'll join the club - went with Robespierre not really thinking it would be right, but because "something is better than nothing".
Ditto. Was this so common that perhaps it is poll-worthy?
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

It was my answer too.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

leszekp wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:06 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:57 pm
Golf wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:31 pm Just one of those quick calculations that nobody takes the time to work out.
I await watching you in a ToC semifinal.
Yup. Got beat up by Keith Williams about my $10K DD wager in my first BOD match. You try doing the math when Alex is staring at you, waiting for an answer.
I think Tim's interview segment dealt with this pretty well.

I got FJ right way. I wonder if Tim actually knew it.

A nice game by Alan, though it might have played out differently without Pranjal's early negs.

The finals should be exciting.
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

Golf wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:31 pmJust one of those quick calculations that nobody takes the time to work out.
The problem here is that on average, contestants have roughly four seconds total to pick their wager. That's not enough time to realize that you're even *in* this situation, let alone do the math on it.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

AFRET CMS wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:26 pm
Golf wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:31 pm Just one of those quick calculations that nobody takes the time to work out.
There is no clock ticking, but there a some pressure to be felt not to take as much time as you think you might need.
In the promo video on Facebook for the finals here they show the full (sped up) time Alan took for the calculation of the last DD. It seems longer than what I watched on tv, but I could be wrong.

Alan takes his time, does the calculation, and comes up with his $4000 bet. Golf's statement is demonstrably false - Alan took on the pressure to take the time to do the math.

However, his answer is different than Golf's. I think this is because he has different assumptions : Alan was dominating the buzzer, and probably wasn't worried about all the remaining clues going against him. His confidence in the category, willingness to risk his lead, etc. are different from Golf's assumptions.

There is no optimum wager unless you have the same information.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

It ought to be no surprise that I was cheering for Prajnal to lose. Those constant parenthetical remarks he was making at the beginning of the game are most unwelcome. Just play the game!

We could come up with a Tournament of Champions drinking game for the finals where someone takes a drink every time Allen pushes his glasses up.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
LeFlaneur
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by LeFlaneur »

davey wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:12 am
Peter the accountant wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:19 am Final: wrong, natch. NHO Petain. Besides, French politics of the 19th and 20th centuries is a complicated mess. How many governments did they run through from the early 1800s until post WWII? Legitimate and otherwise? Too darn many! ;) The heroes of the previous government quickly become the traitors of the next.
The only other Frenchman that will ever come up on J! in the context of French...traitor, I believe, is Alfred Dreyfus, in connection with the false accusations against him. I suppose a tournament could ask to identify Esterhazy, the real traitor in that case.
Being that I am a rabid Francophile I was panicking when all that I could come up with was Pierre LaVal and I sure as hell knew that no one named a street after him. Came up with Petain with about 3 seconds to spare. LaVal was not as lucky as Petain in so far as he, LaVal, was executed.
Le Flaneur