Friday, November 17, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Friday, November 17, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by econgator »

I started a bit too far west to get back to Vermont in time.

Ad I still think that FJ's should never include wordplay.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

dhkendall wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:08 pm Then the mid-south (whatever you call the area south of the Ohio, east of the Mississippi, and west of the Appalachians).
FYI, that region is generally referred to as the Deep South.
Sprinkles are for winners.
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

WOW. I knew they'd go for broke but I wasn't expecting two massive TDDs. I was screaming 'spoonerism!!!' at the TV, felt so bad for Alan. I thought yesterday's scores were too small to be the deciding factor today. Turns out they were so small, that because of Buzzy's massive lead, Austin would've been locked out going into FJ if he hadn't gotten that last $800 footloose clue right at the wire.

For some reason 1805 had me thinking northeast, so I got to Vermont -> Montpelier pretty quickly.

What a great tournament. Going back to regular games is gonna suck.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I could have gotten to Montpelier eventually in about an hour... but I did get all three DDs.

Really enjoyed the camaraderie of the three finalists, and the whole tournament was fun to watch, as Alex said. When is the next Super Ultimate Tournament of Champions?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Buzzy's TDD was ballsy. Alan tried, but I have to wonder if his brain had a spoonerism/Freudian slip. Mom thought he was nervous.

====

I was doing so unnecessarily badly on that band name category. While I got TLC, I said Accidentals on the DD, said Whey at $200, said Prank on $800, and clammed on Boston because I forgot there was a band by that name,

Ran the H category, though, and got all but Maine in Counties.

That one monsters clue seemed like a coinflip on zombie/vampire.

Cinema Verite was my only miss in Types of Movie, and triceps my only miss in Body Human.

Had no idea on the top two in Eponyms but got the bottom 3. $800 in particular seemed very obscure.

Instaget FJ! How were we 0/6 on FJ! these last two days... on ones that I ACTUALLY GOT RIGHT?!?

Lach Trash: hero sandwich, hunch, South Dakota, caballero, spoonerism, period
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

What. A. Game. If it's like this every time we wait 2 years between TOCs, I'll stop complaining. Kudos to Buzzy and Alan for doing the right thing and going all in on their DDs. (To Austin, too, but he found his too early to induce any gasps from the audience.) I wonder if Alan would have benefited from doing an Alex Jacob check before saying Freud.

I guess Alex didn't dare make his comment about how very often third place comes from behind to win it all. Would've been a spoiler. :lol:

Hey Mark, I really want a box I can check that says something like "I got BOTH FJs in a TOC final where the contestants were triple stumped." Maybe you can find a more elegant wording.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

howardnyc wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:26 pm Ball and socket joint sure seems like an easy one for a $2000 clue in the TOC finals.
Agreed, and doubly so because it was a video DD.

The year referenced in FJ had me going up and down the eastern seaboard. Glad to say that I got Montpelier, but unfortunately it was about 10 seconds after the end of the think music.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I never considered Vermont, because I knew it became a state in 1791 (the year before Kentucky). So for me, the year in clue was an an anti-TOM.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

It's been 15 minutes and my hands are still shaking.
The speed. The accuracy. The guts. The glory. Just… wow.
I think I need to go lie down.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Congrats to Buzzy on a stirring comeback. Yes, his DD clue was a gift at that dollar level, but he didn't know that would be the case when he made his gutsy wager. So the man that I underestimated throughout the tournament, who seems like a real mensch, wins it all. What a great game (and it broke my heart to see Alan miss his equally inspired TDD), capping a fun TOC. Is this the first time all DD wagers in a TOC game were TDD's? (In the game where Roger Craig did back-to-back TD's in DG, was Buddy's $1,200 in SJ a TDD?) In any J! game?

I got the FJ; for reasons unbeknownst to me, "Vermont" popped into my head almost instantly. Maybe because I was just there last month?

LT: Harper Collins, Laurence Olivier, spoonerism (DD)
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

how was that FJ a TS? 1805 puts it just after the original 13--Kentucky? nope, Vermont? yup. Next would've been Tennessee, Ohio...
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:08 pm I never considered Vermont, because I knew it became a state in 1791 (the year before Kentucky). So for me, the year in clue was an an anti-TOM.
A state capital since 1805 ruled out every state except the 13 colonies, Vermont and Kentucky. I'm usually not so hot with word clues but I had the good fortune to immediately think of Vermont so it was close to an instaget.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

I would have been laughed out of my former home state had I been on stage.. grew up in Vermont, so of course I missed the Final about Vermont. I've had my share of bad misses in Final over the past few years.. but this one hurts the most. :oops: Would have gotten it eventually, but in 30 seconds this was most certainly not an easy clue for those who seem to think otherwise.

If you had told me on May 1, 2016, that Buzzy would be a future ToC winner, I wouldn't have believed you. I'm floored that he won the whole shebang.. I wasn't terribly impressed with his original run outside of Game #1, but he was able to grind out games, and that's what he did here too. Massive props to him for making the right move at the right time, so congrats on a well-earned dub! Hard break for Alan. He was the best player for two weeks, and the one clue that tripped him up ended his shot at 1st place.

Great tournament with a lot of twists and turns and a great finale! Still hoping that the producers never ever do a two-year qualifying cycle again.. alas I sadly fear that this will become the norm. In any case, I'm excited to feel a little bit smarter when we return to normal boards on Monday!
Last edited by threearruda on Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
merica
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by merica »

a fun match to watch but I too was stunned that both FJs were triple stumpers. I got both immediately. Now I didn't get a whole lot of other clues along the way, but...
Thought the wagering was appropriate by all involved. Congrats to all! 50k for third is a good hour's work :D
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:47 pm Lach Trash: hero sandwich, hunch, South Dakota, caballero, spoonerism, period
Buzzy was given credit for hero sandwich after the break so that's no LT. I know because that was my response and I was saying, "Wait a minute! That looked like a ham sandwich to me."

With the 1804 date, I knew it had to be a NE state that's not one of the original 13 colonies, so having been to Vermont that was a solve. State capitals are a strong suit.

Surprised Austin bet anything on FJ as Buzzy had a lock game and Austin cost himself $50,000 for no reason.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Kenny wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:05 pm

Surprised Austin bet anything on FJ as Buzzy had a lock game and Austin cost himself $50,000 for no reason.

Buzzy Cohen: 25600-1301=24299 + 0 = 24299 = $100,000
Alan Lin: 1600-1200=400 + 8800 = 9200 = $50,000
Austin Rogers: 10200+10000=20200 + 6500 = 26700 = $250,000

Let's give Austin a correct response for the FJ! round and keep the wager the same.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

Man, what a fantastic game to end the tournament. Quite the roller coaster with Buzzy hitting that DD, and Alan missing his (which I was devastated by since I was rooting for him, and since I think he would've gotten it had he taken more time). Austin also did well enough to stay in contention by FJ, and if it makes him feel any better, I made the same mistake he did by misreading the clue and going for Indianapolis.

Anyway, congrats to Buzzy for winning the tournament altogether, but also congrats and thank you to the other contestants who made this two weeks a pleasure to watch. I strongly agree with Alex that this was probably the most fun ToC in the show's history. It was nice to see the ToC finally return with a bang and not a whimper. It'll be a bit of a downer returning to regular games, but the search for the next tournament's participants must begin sometime (and hopefully we don't have to wait 5 #$&!ing months for a 5xer to clinch a spot like last time).
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

I grew up in Vermont, so I got FJ pretty quickly.
Teems with quiet fun.
Creed Bratton
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Creed Bratton »

Leander wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:14 pm I’m amazed I could go 2 for 2 in the TOC Finals FJs while the competitors go 0 for 6. Somehow I immediately flashed on Vermont.
This +1
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Austin posted a reasonably funny reaction video to today's result.